Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I hope next season's Aztec Warfare Joey Ryan chains himself to a ringpost like somebody protesting logging in spotted owl habitat

And then the year after that they just wheel down a giant safe with a "Joey Ryan" label on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sure was nice of Sexy Star to help there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Why is Kobra Moon still "wrestling"

she's getting better at it, she does a lot of work on the indies

I don't think she actually has a singles match this season though (spoiler I guess, but I could also be wrong), she's mostly here for the triumphant eventual appearance of LORD PINDAR

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 17, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fatherdog posted:

And then the year after that they just wheel down a giant safe with a "Joey Ryan" label on it

Next entrant out is Michael Caine.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fatherdog posted:

when they unlock it, it's just Mascarita inside

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HOLY loving poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MATANZA WAS PINNED! :woop:

DocGator
May 6, 2007

Oh poo poo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Rey with the first pin on Matanza ever! (assist to: half the roster)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

when they unlock it, it's just Mascarita inside

Cut to Joey Ryan in Dario's office drinking tequila

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dario you done hosed up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha, Angelico returns and immediately tries to kill himself!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
gently caress YEAH ANGELICO

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
At the tapings, it took a REALLY long time for them to stretcher Rey out. Like they just cut about 10 minutes of Worldwide Underground taunting Sexy Star and stalling. I'm still not sure if he was legit injured or not, but I think they at least thought he might be

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well.... okay I guess.... :geno:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Sheesh.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

a bunch of girls beat up all the LU favorites tonight

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So if you hadn't already read the spoilers, this was the episode where everyone was like gently caress LUCHA UNDERGROUND FOREVER THE SHOW IS DEAD TO ME

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mulaney Power Move posted:

a bunch of girls beat up all the LU favorites tonight

Joshis aren't girls :mad:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know what, screw it, it's a happy ending for once and I needed it. Good for her. Yay!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I like the Sexy Star storyline, I just would like it much better if Sexy Star was being played by a better wrestler and/or actress than Sexy Star

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So, I really think this was actually supposed to be Ivelisse's win, were it not for last week's injury. The finish would have made more sense with her, since she almost beat Mil before (first match of S2) and she's building to fighting Catrina at Ultima Lucha 3 (as per the already announced promo). Also, let's face it, she's better in the ring than Sexy Star and generally more over with the crowd. She was also tweeting some really heartbroken stuff after the Aztec Warfare taping, more so than just about being injured.

On the other side, at the actual chronological tapings, Sexy Star had actually done nearly nothing up to this point. She was on the outs with AAA, she had that weird disjointed match where she lost the GotG belt to Mundo, and I think that was the only taping she had been at before Aztec Warfare. But with Ivelisse injured, I think they went to Sexy Star as a plan B, since she's the only face woman on the roster, and you can only claim that having intergender matches promotes equality for so long without having a woman champ. Then they taped all the Sexy versus Worldwide Underground stuff later and backfilled it into the start of the season so she actually had a hot angle going in. If I'm right, it's kind of an interesting example of how pre-taping a whole season lets them adjust off of a critical injury.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Joshis aren't girls :mad:

all right, animes or whatever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I like the Sexy Star storyline, I just would like it much better if Sexy Star was being played by a better wrestler and/or actress than Sexy Star

Yeah, it's a cool storyline but outside of that one match she had with Mariposa she's never really been particularly impressive either in the ring or in her character performance. She's better than Kobra Moon at least.

Edit: I would have loved Rey Mysterio to be the new Champion :shobon:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Sexy may be like my fifth favorite female wrestler on the roster, but my little girl literally spent the last 5 minutes jumping around and woo-hooing and cheering, so gently caress it. Shes going to bed happy and I'm drat happy she won. She even wants me to buy her an LU shirt now.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I can't deny that she's over enough to be a champion. If she loses it relatively quickly so we don't have to get through lots of 1on1 matches with her, then I'm fine with this.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DangerDummy! posted:

Sexy may be like my fifth favorite female wrestler on the roster, but my little girl literally spent the last 5 minutes jumping around and woo-hooing and cheering, so gently caress it. Shes going to bed happy and I'm drat happy she won. She even wants me to buy her an LU shirt now.

That's awesome :3:

I saw grown (well, teenage/college age) women in actual tears at the taping. So I mean, I'm not a huge Sexy Star fan, but sometimes I can be happy that other people are happy

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

That's awesome :3:

I saw grown (well, teenage/college age) women in actual tears at the taping. So I mean, I'm not a huge Sexy Star fan, but sometimes I can be happy that other people are happy

Yeah, between my daughter flipping her lid and the reactions of the women at ringside before the match ended, I gotta admit I started pulling for her in a big way towards the end. Cool happy ending, but I'll echo the short and sweet title run sentiment.

But goddamn, if it'd been Ivie like you suspect it was supposed to be, I would've been down with that. She's in my top three favorites on the whole roster.

I gotta say, this season is kinda turning me into a big Marty the Moth fan. I dug the way he walked into the ring and gave Matanza a big slap in the mouth.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 17, 2016

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sling freaked out on me half way through so I just finished watching. Not what I expected but I was happy at the end. Sexy makes an amazing transitional champion and puts the belt on a technico for a bit. It will sting when Matanza or Mil destroy her to take the belt. She's not a great wrestler but I like the story.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sling freaked out on me half way through so I just finished watching. Not what I expected but I was happy at the end. Sexy makes an amazing transitional champion and puts the belt on a technico for a bit. It will sting when Matanza or Mil destroy her to take the belt. She's not a great wrestler but I like the story.

I'm thinking it's El Rey's feed to streaming services because I use FuboTV and the picture would freeze every 3 minutes. It was unbearable.

It's interesting to see the reactions to Sexy Star's win because this got spoiled for me like, a year ago by a ton of bullshit articles that would be like "a certain Sexy Lucha Underground Star wins title" but seeing how overcome she was with emotions made me happy she got the belt.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I knew a woman was winning the belt this season thanks to Big Dave and I figured it would be Sexy Star. I was sort of dreading it because I am not a fan, but dammit, they built to that finish in a great way. Mil survived so much that it seemed inevitable that he would win, and then nope, good finally prevails in the Temple. The reactions in the crowd were great to see and I especially like that Sexy Star did it all on her own when it really came down to it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't like it but I'm happy for the people who did.

Also this might be blasphemy but I think Mack using the Stunner is stupid.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I definitely feel you on the Mack's stunner. It was awesome when he did it the first time but now it seems to be the only thing he does in LU and it feels like a waste of his talent.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I definitely feel you on the Mack's stunner. It was awesome when he did it the first time but now it seems to be the only thing he does in LU and it feels like a waste of his talent.

It's dumb that he does the double-bird-flip beforehand because it's reminiscent of Stone Cold by a guy whose character is nothing like Stone Cold, but just the fact that he uses the Stunner itself doesn't bother me. Every other finisher gets reused, why not that one?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

It's dumb that he does the double-bird-flip beforehand because it's reminiscent of Stone Cold by a guy whose character is nothing like Stone Cold, but just the fact that he uses the Stunner itself doesn't bother me. Every other finisher gets reused, why not that one?

For the exact reason you stated. He does the whole bit. Admittedly not as much now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
He should definitely tone it down. He can still bust it out on occasion, like it makes sense at Ultima Lucha or whatever, but it doesn't need to be his Roman Reigns Superman Punch where he's using it multiple times per match.

The Senator Giroux posted:

I'm thinking it's El Rey's feed to streaming services because I use FuboTV and the picture would freeze every 3 minutes. It was unbearable.

Fubo was 100% smooth for me tonight but I've had a night or two where it kept dropping. Sling was always a nightmare for me, but it was a nightmare with every station, not just El Rey.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Moves get devalued over time. Look what happened to the drat ddt.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It would look better if anyone sold it well. I hate his stunner on Matanza because that guy is never going to go to the ground. He should just save the stunner for Jack and the other flippy guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seconding that I'd have dug the ending more if it had been Ivelisse in that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I knew Sexy was winning thanks to the spoilers and Meltzer freaking the gently caress out, but they actually built a pretty good story around it and I was satisfied.

Like, the way people were concern-trolling made you think Sexy pinned Matanza clean or something. Ridiculous hand-wringing.

• Locked thread