Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Melomane Mallet posted:

Also, I am curious what skill it is you think Meracle gets.

I thought I said in the video? I have no basis for it and she probably actually doesn't but some part of me is convinced that she learns an attacks that is like that thing where Cerberus goes rolling all over but she does it herself. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

wateyad posted:

I thought I said in the video? I have no basis for it and she probably actually doesn't but some part of me is convinced that she learns an attacks that is like that thing where Cerberus goes rolling all over but she does it herself. I don't know why.

Oh right, it was in the previous video; I had forgotten that. I know she gets one with a somersault, but no rolling all over the place.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You should rename Wet to Atlas for a session, since now he has a whole dead planet weighing on his shoulders.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You should rename Wet to Atlas for a session, since now he has a whole dead planet weighing on his shoulders.

Yeah, that... sure is a... lackadaisical reaction to not only the apparent destruction and genocide of a planet and its people, but something that might frig up space and time itself. "It's okay, all of us were at fault! :downs: " No, no you really weren't, and why aren't you freaking out more about the implications of this, or the catastrophic loss of life alone? Looking a bit sad like your favorite sports team lost does not seem to cut it.

I just remember equivalent situations in other RPGs, even JRPG, in which a similar action by the main character got them raked across the loving coals; hell, even Tales of Legendia kicked the main characters rear end for a much lesser crime (not planet destroying, just being a selfish dick) and that game is the foofiest fluff that ever foofed, especially in comparison to the later, darker titles like Abyss and Vesperia. So, what is the theory behind this... thing, whatever it is? How does it seriously contribute to anything? I suppose that this means I'm kind of invested in what happens, so... good job them? Sorta?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoDKLscOeuM

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

They named the reactor... What? JAPAN, WHY.

No, that's totally normal for scientists.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I was about to make a crack about 50s? American Nazi Scientists, but then I remembered Von Braun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why do people hate this game, it seems like it has the best-written plot of any jRPG. More games should aspire to be as insane as Star Ocean 4 starring Edge Maverick, Destroyer of Earth.

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
The wallpaper and furniture line slayed me.

I find Meracle is pretty fun to play as, relative to everyone else in this game anyway. As you guys noted, she's the super fast acrobatic juggler fighter in the group. Which was rather nice considering how slow this game's combat and dialogue and travel and dungeons and everything else was. That's probably why I found her more bearable than most of the game's characters. She's "the fast one" in a game held together by bits of anime and paced like molasses.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
All those people (I could have murdered), the houses (I could have looted), animals (I could have pickpocketed), GONE! (I WANT MY LOOT YOU FUCKLEHEADS!)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mega64 posted:

Why do people hate this game, it seems like it has the best-written plot of any jRPG.

Because they haven't played Star Ocean 5 yet.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
I hope that the Star Ocean series continues forever in a perpetual state of trying to pretend that the previous game (and only the previous game) didn't exist.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Oh boy, there it is.

See, it wasn't the situation per se that I found stupid, it was the reaction to it. Wet just goes off and chews the scenery while everyone else is like 'no it's okay, planetcide isn't really that bad.' So we have a scenario that, in the hands of a competent writing team, could have been interesting (what does it mean to gently caress up alternate realities, how at fault are we when something good-intentioned goes horribly wrong because we were lied to, etc.), but instead achieves 'superficial and hammy'. And if you think it'll clear up shortly...

Besides, it's clearly Klaus' fault. "Oh by the way, the facility is run by my batshit crazy ex-wife, don't believe a thing she says." HOLY poo poo, WORLD SAVED.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You guys missed a pretty great opportunity to title this episode We Need to Talk About Kevin

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrLonghair posted:

Because they haven't played Star Ocean 5 yet.

I'm a little before the half-way-ish point playing it now, and I can at least say if I would have been ignoring all the quests and PAs, the story would be moving at lightning pace. 4 taking forever to move the plot, and all the way too long, bring dungeons were the biggest issues for me. 5 is kind of okay in a strict sense when you compare them at their bare bones like that.

To be fair though, I have a very high tri-ace tolerance. So I completely understand if I'm missing what's so terrible about it gameplay wise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
"I just killed billions of people because of a choice I made! :qq:"

"Walk it off, you loving pussy :rolleyes:"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"I just killed billions of people because of a choice I made! :qq:"

"Walk it off, you loving pussy :rolleyes:"
Everyone but Edge studied quantum space philosophy at university. This situation is too much like the thought experiments they were taught about for them to take it seriously.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So even if they were going to take the crystal or whatever, there was still a lot Edge could've done to stop this from happening. Including, you know, violence. The soldiers look pretty drat incompetent, it wouldn't have really been that hard. With that in mind, it does actually make sense for him to be broken up like this. Now if only the rest of his crew weren't such uncaring weirdos...

Even if she seems kind of terrible character wise, it looks like MeoxMix might actually be pretty fun to use, which is like a first in this game. It looks like the designers might have actually had some fun animating her.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is some of the worst storytelling I've ever seen in a game. I don't even know where to begin.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I walked downstairs to warm up my tea, and had to rewind the whole thing because suddenly the world was ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjjK5SMbJA
"What are all these people watching?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The crew's reaction is pretty standard sci-fi. I could swear I remember seeing similar non-reactions in shows like Stargate.

"It's not OUR universe so who cares?"

Edge's reaction, as hammy as it is, is a reason I kinda like him. He's never gonna be a favorite of mine but when it comes to legit reasons to angst, he's got it covered.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

NikkolasKing posted:

The crew's reaction is pretty standard sci-fi. I could swear I remember seeing similar non-reactions in shows like Stargate.

"It's not OUR universe so who cares?"

Edge's reaction, as hammy as it is, is a reason I kinda like him. He's never gonna be a favorite of mine but when it comes to legit reasons to angst, he's got it covered.

yeah, I always like when a character has a drat good reason to be angsty. Hell, my favourite part of the .hack//sign anime is when the main character dies and respawns halfway through. It really fucks him up because he has been trapped in the MMO for so long by that point that he felt like he actually physically died, so coming back from that was really traumatic for him. There is also a really cool subplot where he gets attached to a anime-neopet, a Grunty who he is asked to take care of by the owner of the avatar that owns it. It becomes the main characters sole concern when it comes does with a status effect called "Grunty Distemper" because to him it isn't just a virtual pet - it's an animal, as real to him as his current body. I thought that was really cool, and gave him drat good reasons to care about something that was practically speaking, silly and inconsequential.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Damnit, Kevin! You vaporized the Earth! :argh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

goatface posted:

No, that's totally normal for scientists.

Yes, but they'll give it a sensible name like Steven, Watson, or Christopher. NOT KEVIN. I can't explain why but the name does terrible things.

Here, I'll show you, I'll name a sheep Kevin and he'll turn into an rear end in a top hat.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I didn't know this was going to happen.

This really is the best game and the best series.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yes, but they'll give it a sensible name like Steven, Watson, or Christopher. NOT KEVIN. I can't explain why but the name does terrible things.

Here, I'll show you, I'll name a sheep Kevin and he'll turn into an rear end in a top hat.

Hah. How about a goat?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm wondering if that was an alternate Earth where the Nazis won WW2. I mean that was a lot of Germanic names and Naziesque uniforms for New Mexico.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm wondering if that was an alternate Earth where the Nazis won WW2. I mean that was a lot of Germanic names and Naziesque uniforms for New Mexico.

Nah, both the Soviet Union and the USA really did kidnap Nazi scientists like there was no tomorrow. The USA even got themselves some ex-Wehrmacht officers to write stuff about how awesome the German military was. One of the books I've read compared US- and German military effiency to each other and while the Wehrmacht was basically cruising on a lot of improvising, some US-guys were apparently shocked at how bad the US-forces did in some operational aspects.

Of course they probably wouldn't have been allowed to wear their old uniforms. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm aware, but those were basically Nazi uniforms down to the armbands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm aware, but those were basically Nazi uniforms down to the armbands.

"How do we show this character is evil in a 1940's setting?"

"Do you Nazi the obvious solution?"

I apologize for nothing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The characters did always just say "our country" rather than "America", but if that were the idea, I don't think the game would have been so subtle about it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Suspect Bucket posted:

They named after evil Nazi lady's dead son, because she is crazy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

David D. Davidson posted:

They named after evil Nazi lady's dead son, because she is crazy.

Yes Kevin, I get that.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 39: We Are Roakay to Land
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F86p7444qdg

Rotwang Gorbochoff
Sep 24, 2010

For her, all seven deadly sins!
I couldn't let it go. Wateyad I don't know exactly how they do it over the pond but I highly doubt that they make cars shiny by painting and sanding constantly instead of just using Primer/Topcoat/Clear coat or just a buffer wheel.
Amazingly petty nitpick over.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love this moment of utter stupidity where Reimi goes "you hear that Edge? It's just a parallel Earth you vaporized!"

It means that sympathy you saw beforehand? It was done on the assumption by the characters that Edge may have actually altered history and blown up the real thing :munch:. I do appreciate Reimi just just hanging up on Welch like that though, because that is precisely what no-one needs right now.

Or ever.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Rotwang Gorbochoff posted:

I couldn't let it go. Wateyad I don't know exactly how they do it over the pond but I highly doubt that they make cars shiny by painting and sanding constantly instead of just using Primer/Topcoat/Clear coat or just a buffer wheel.
Amazingly petty nitpick over.

I was talking specifically about that ridiculously shiny factory finish look and going off knowing (second hand, it's not a hobby of mine personally) that the painting / sanding / painting again is how you get it on scale models also one of those vague recollections that might not be real of hearing that factory paintjobs consist of many, many very thin layers of paint. If I overspoke then sorry.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
We usually call the northeast Astralian continent "Queensland".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I loving love the new battle music.
"For Achieve(Brass Remix)" is a rearrangement of the SO1 battle music and it's one of my favorite normal battle themes in a JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

This game takes place in SD 010; a huge chunk of Star Ocean 1 takes place in SD 046. On the planet we are now on. "Lots of references to SO1" is probably putting it mildly.

• Locked thread