Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I would assume the only phones that work on Total are phones that work on Verizon. Like, you can't take a Sprint branded phone over to Total, but you can take a Nexus 6P because that works on all carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I would assume the only phones that work on Total are phones that work on Verizon. Like, you can't take a Sprint branded phone over to Total, but you can take a Nexus 6P because that works on all carriers.

This is correct. If it's compatible with a Verizon sim then it'll work on total. iPhone, 6P, 5X, moto X pure, etc all work.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hooah posted:

Is Cricket still the most-recommended prepaid carrier? The OP hasn't been updated in a year and I have no idea what might have changed.

Yeah, I really need to update this. I'll try to get it all done over the course of this week.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Gave my mom my unlocked samsung from cricket so she could use it, so she's talking with the straight talk people now, since they have a BYOP setup.

Here's hoping it works where she's at.

Anyone know if the customer service people are decent or is it like sprint levels of nightmare when calling?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

straight talk customer service is poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blue Train posted:

straight talk customer service is poo poo

no need to thank me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Any feedback on Mint SIM? It's got very low pricing if you pay in advance (which is kind of a contract I guess) but they're on T-Mo so I wonder if they're better than Metro.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Weird. My old phone isn't detecting the new sim or doing the INVALID SIM FUCKER where it pops up the box to unlock it. Any ideas on how to fix that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I started the process of signing up for Total Wireless last night and they wanted the account number, password or v-key (never heard of that) and last four of the account-holder's SSN to port my number. I can't remember - is all that standard?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yes. They are canceling your other account for you. They have to be able to verify that you are who you say you are.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here's a little comedy phone for you all:

TracFone seems to have imported one of those Android flip phone smartphones:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfone-zte-cymbal-t-lte-4g-lte-with-3gb-memory-prepaid-cell-phone-silver-gray/5581014.p

TracFone / Verizon network.

The flip keypad is only for dialing, for every other data entry a keyboard appears on the screen. Runs Android Lollipop 5.1.1 and there's no way it will ever be updated.

But I guess for that certain consumer that insists they will never, ever, use anything other than a flip phone...

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Rastor posted:

But I guess for that certain consumer that insists they will never, ever, use anything other than a flip phone...

It's silly if you can't T9 to type or whatever, but there are markets (in the third-and-developing world, and also rural America) where only having the touchscreen for the rare dalliance into web browsing or app usage isn't crazy. Like can you WhatsApp with it? That's all some people want.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, holy poo poo. Total Wireless's website doesn't tell you what requirements/restrictions there are on the password, and their support people don't know either! Amazing!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rastor posted:

Here's a little comedy phone for you all:

TracFone seems to have imported one of those Android flip phone smartphones:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfone-zte-cymbal-t-lte-4g-lte-with-3gb-memory-prepaid-cell-phone-silver-gray/5581014.p

TracFone / Verizon network.

The flip keypad is only for dialing, for every other data entry a keyboard appears on the screen. Runs Android Lollipop 5.1.1 and there's no way it will ever be updated.

That's amazing. I kind of want to own one for novelty value (but not for $100).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hooah posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Total Wireless's website doesn't tell you what requirements/restrictions there are on the password, and their support people don't know either! Amazing!

assuming you are still in the process of porting, it would be dependent on your previous/current carrier and they wouldn't know their requirements

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Blue Train posted:

assuming you are still in the process of porting, it would be dependent on your previous/current carrier and they wouldn't know their requirements

Nah, this is for my own account with them.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rexxed posted:

That's amazing. I kind of want to own one for novelty value (but not for $100).

Now on sale, do you think it has $70 of novelty value?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Rastor posted:

Buy one and report back, for science.

:science:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rastor posted:

These kind of phones only work in gold trim.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

whatever7 posted:

Waiwaiwai it has a touchscreen on the outside too?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

whatever7 posted:

I like the total contrast between the two. Gold one has better functional design, better aesthetics, and just generally comes across like something that belongs on this side of 2010 on a timeline.

The black and grey has the body of a 2004 phone, and the elusive chin-selfies feature.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

revdrkevind posted:

Waiwaiwai it has a touchscreen on the outside too?

That's how the Japanese roll (because they don't own personal computers.)

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

whatever7 posted:

That's how the Japanese roll (because they don't own personal computers.)

Huh.

It was interesting watching the new Mechanic movie recently, basically Chinese The Transporter where they actually got Jason Statham. He opens his secret getaway bag, and it's full of clamshell phones. And all the secret spy people all have really souped-up clamshell phones that have real-time video feeds on the screen.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Samsung released one of these 3 years ago:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9230_galaxy_golden-5814.php
- SD400
- 1.5gb RAM
- 16gb storage + microsd slot
- 1820maH battery
- 480x800 resolution

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rastor posted:

No, but it's close! Although, I'm also not sure Best Buy will sell me any more prepaid phones because of the ones I bought for Perk. They had me on some kind of "too many prepaid phones" blacklist for a while.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Saw this on reddit today:

Check your accounts tomorrow!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cage-free egghead posted:

Saw this on reddit today:

Check your accounts tomorrow!

loving A.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else getting an error when trying to switch to the 8gb plan? It keeps telling me to put my account pin in when I try to add the plan to my cart.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the easiest way to switch to 8 gig plan from the 5 gig plan? Do I have essentially just act like I'm buying the new plan? Will I have to pay $50 when I check out or can I just upgrade?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't ever switch, since the Advanced plan doesn't exist anymore.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also I'm an idiot and finally found the "change plan" option.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just saw Cricket now has a $30 plan - unlimited talk and text, with 1GB of 4G data (throttled to 128kbs after 1GB is used)

Competition for the Nerd Plan and Fi

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

total wireless 35/mo verizon unlimited talk/text 5gb data supremacy

over 5gb? 10$/3gb overage

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 29, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Blue Train posted:

total wireless 35/mo verizon unlimited talk/text 5gb data supremacy

over 5gb? 10$/3gb overage

Any downside to using Total Wireless? That Verizon data/coverage for that price seems like a steal.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
My friend switched briefly but went back to AT&T because they made porting his number a total hassle, then again poor customer service seems like the norm for every phone service provider so as long as you don't have to go through too much you should be okay.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Any downside to using Total Wireless? That Verizon data/coverage for that price seems like a steal.

I haven't tried it because I'm happy with my phone, but I would bet that switching phones is a bigger pain in the rear end than just sim-swapping, since they're a CDMA network with a whitelist of devices.

I've been on a Total for a few months now and I don't really have any complaints, besides Verizon coverage being spotty in certain areas. Their website is dogshit, and I don't think they even have an app, but I've never gotten close enough to the 5gb mark to need to check my usage anyway.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

That pricing is limited to a single line, data speeds are capped at 5Mbps like all Verizon mvnos. I ported my number from cricket and while it required dealing with their customer service, it was much more painless than I expected

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 30, 2016

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I haven't tried it because I'm happy with my phone, but I would bet that switching phones is a bigger pain in the rear end than just sim-swapping, since they're a CDMA network with a whitelist of devices.

Switching phones is as easy as sim swapping. But the catch is you're limited to devices Verizon already supports.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So after 1 year of free (crappy Sprint) plans, Ringplus is starting discontinuing some of the old free plans. It was fun while it last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, they still have a 200/750/750 plan for free so I moved my RP phone to it. They let me move with no charge so I still have $6 of my original $10 left. It's a shame but their business model is weird.