Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Waffleman_ posted:

Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah are actually going to be in Godzilla 2 in 2019!

That was when Edwards was still attached. Lord knows what's happening now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Minilla for Godzilla 2, you heard it first.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Timby posted:

That was when Edwards was still attached. Lord knows what's happening now.

Godzilla 2: Now with 100% more King Caesar

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Has the concept art that was shown at Comic-Con featuring the Legendary Rodan, KG and Motha ever been released or leaked?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Now I'm imagining them as polack dock workers in Baltimore.

Looking forward to Gigan's duck.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hatter106 posted:

Has the concept art that was shown at Comic-Con featuring the Legendary Rodan, KG and Motha ever been released or leaked?

I hope so! Would kill to see that!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I'm actually sort of worried that Godzilla 2 going forward will be contingent on the success of the new King Kong, so we had pretty much all cross our fingers that it does well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah because no one in america will want to see Godzilla fight Mothra while causing 7 9/11s to some city.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
So I've been looking for Shin clips online and something is bugging me (spoilers follow):

What little I can find of the breath ray sequence starts with the outgassing/flame torrent and quite clearly shows huge swaths of the city being engulfed by fire; then as the beam coalesces, all the fire is suddenly gone and everything seems intact for a second until it's, well, not again.

Is this how it went down in the actual film? I've got the memory of a goldfish, admittedly, but I'd be surprised not to catch a huge mistake like that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
IIRC the fire breath doesn't ignite a whole lot before the beam comes out. The fire just sorta passes over. I'm probably misremembering though.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 15, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Godzilla toy you've all (or, at least I, myself) have been waiting for finally exists!

Shin Godzilla spoilers:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10388743
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10388744

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You kid, but I'd love one of those.

Actually, no, I'd love a plush toy of the first form that has a little motor inside it that you can turn on to let it flop around. It'd be adorable and I'd buy ten.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When is the movie going to be available to watch at home?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I absolute do not kid.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Actually, no, I'd love a plush toy of the first form that has a little motor inside it that you can turn on to let it flop around. It'd be adorable and I'd buy ten.

I would buy this as well.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

When is the movie going to be available to watch at home?

Chatter is sometime early next year, if we're lucky; middle of next year if we're not.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I read this as Craig from Parks and Rec and wowza that gave me a good chuckle.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

My wife and I have been trying to get one for my son for Christmas and it's a bitch. We did manage to snag a final form Bandai.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
drat, those are good. People in my theater first laughed when G was revealed (me included) but I started to really REALLY be creeped out by him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

drat, those are good. People in my theater first laughed when G was revealed (me included) but I started to really REALLY be creeped out by him.

Yeah. It's one thing when a giant angry lizard stomps into town and clearly wants to wreck poo poo up. You see a traditional Godzilla and it's clear that society hosed something up and here's the karmic blowback. It's a different matter when it's this giant... thing that just seems to be mindlessly flopping around.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tommy 2.0 posted:

The scene where goofzilla first stands up is one of the most powerful and disturbing in the film. Just a small change in posture and perspective changed the monster from a silly (if unnerving) frog muppet to something truly strange nd terrifying. It's spectacular!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

This bit of the soundtrack is living rent-free in my head. I don't agree with all of the creative choices of the film, but the decision to re-use old sound and music cues was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72a7F1SF8Vk

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

First Kong trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9y6oPka3us

Looks really good! Pretty funny that they got John C. Reily to wear a jacket with the words "For Your Health" on the back. Dunno how intentional that was. Also, John Goodman. Always a delight to see him.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Detective No. 27 posted:

First Kong trailer:

Looks really good! Pretty funny that they got John C. Reily to wear a jacket with the words "For Your Health" on the back. Dunno how intentional that was. Also, John Goodman. Always a delight to see him.

The "good group of boys" line convinced me it totally was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

First Kong trailer:

I had no clue JCR was in this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I had no clue JCR was in this.

I don't think anyone did.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only person I remember reading was in it was Samuel L. Jackson, which isn't too surprising cause he's in every movie ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You can't really "design" a gorilla, but the colors and slightly 'off', mangy, matted look reminds me a lot of the stop motion King Kong, which makes me very excited.

Violator
May 15, 2003

And apparently the director hated Godzilla '14 teases:

quote:

We’re also fundamentally not playing the same game that Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla did and most monster movies do, which I’m sort of sick of the notion that a monster movie needs to wait an hour or 40 minutes until the creature shows up. Kong traditionally does not show up in these movies until very, very late, and the monster traditionally does not show up until very, very late in a monster movie, so a lot of these movies tend to have this structure that’s a bit of a slow burn. Something about this movie made me want to reject that and play a very, very different game.

So expect a lot of action.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I don't think he's really slagging off G'14 - he could just as easily (and more accurately) be ribbing Peter Jackson's Kong. I think he's more just coming from the point of view that, "Less-is-more is a formula that a lot of filmmakers seem less inclined to question because they've been reductively taught that it's a superior way of doing it."

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I don't really have a problem with either method; depending on the intent of the film, they both have their merits. I really liked how Godzilla '14 was visible less in his direct appearance and more in the environmental effects of his simply being around, and I'm also really liking the clear shots of Kong and the Skullcrawlers that this trailer is showing off. Of course we'll have to see how it pays off, but Godzilla pretty much shows up in record time in Resurgence, and look how that turned out.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

I don't think he's really slagging off G'14 - he could just as easily (and more accurately) be ribbing Peter Jackson's Kong. I think he's more just coming from the point of view that, "Less-is-more is a formula that a lot of filmmakers seem less inclined to question because they've been reductively taught that it's a superior way of doing it."

To be fair, Kong showed up in 2005's Kong halfway through the movie and was, along with other monsters, a pretty constant presence throughout...

the problem was that it was halfway through a three hour movie. :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pretty funny that they got John C. Reily to wear a jacket with the words "For Your Health" on the back. Dunno how intentional that was.

unless you think the jacket just manifested on him with no input from anyone, i'm really not sure why you wouldn't think it was intentional

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That was a pretty fun trailer that took me from near-zero interest to more or less on board with it. Still think a kaiju-sized ape is kind of silly but what the gently caress, I'll roll with it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Bimmi posted:

That was a pretty fun trailer that took me from near-zero interest to more or less on board with it. Still think a kaiju-sized ape is kind of silly but what the gently caress, I'll roll with it.

More silly than a kaiju-sized kaiju?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It helps SO much that he's not really realistic looking.

He's a giant goddamn ape he doesn't have to be realistic.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Where is Kong supposed to be in terms of size compared to '14 Godzilla?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They haven't released an exact size, but 14Goji is 350 feet tall, and I can't imagine there'll be that much of a size difference.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Spatulater bro! posted:

More silly than a kaiju-sized kaiju?

I personally don't like it when they make Kong too big (and outside of the original, they always do.) The bigger he gets, the less believable and relatable he becomes; how much of that is because he closely resembles an animal that actually exists I can't say, but it sounds like they're putting real thought into his makeup and motivations as a character so I'm semi-optimistic that they'll make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love that shot of him just walking around in the water. Can't wait!

John C. Reilly makes everything great.