Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
2 free lines on family plans this weekend

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-targets-families-offer-two-free-lines-weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Wow. Whats the catch? I don't have an immediate need for extra lines but have three kids that will in future years. If it's no downside may as well grab the sim and pop it in an old windows phone I have lying around.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
How's that deal work if you already have three lines? Article says "existing customers with at least two lines can add two more free.", can I get the third line switched over to free or do I need to do some kind of 'add a new line, remove the old one' rigamarole?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

isndl posted:

How's that deal work if you already have three lines? Article says "existing customers with at least two lines can add two more free.", can I get the third line switched over to free or do I need to do some kind of 'add a new line, remove the old one' rigamarole?

You're not eligible for the deal if you've canceled lines in the last 90 days unless you re-add that line before getting the free ones. Also canceling lines after getting the free lines ends the bill credits that make those lines free.

Essentially they want you to keep paying about what you're paying now (the bill credits don't cover tax and regulatory fees on the free lines), just that you get more lines out of it. I assume some sort of new account plus porting out, porting back in situation might let you reduce your costs, but it might also lock you out of your current plan and features if they don't offer them anymore.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Looks like you can add tablets and get them for free also. Some require a 6gb line which would be $35/line and the tablet lines cap at $25 so you would pay $10/Mo. Seems worth it to me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Welp, what a legit deal. Just went into a store and got two free LG tablets (being shipped, no stock left) with 6GB data each for only $3/Mo on each line for fees and taxes. I had to pay sales tax on the tablets ($36 combined I think) and $20/EA for activation sims (felt that it was bullshit was incredible deal still). That's it. I will see the bill credits in two months so the first one will be high but the second will be larger to cover the first.

Why does T-Mobile hate money???

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I have the 2 lines unlimited everything for $100/mo that they did a couple years ago. Is this eligible for the free 2 lines? Can't seem to find out on their website and it says I have to go to a store or call to add the lines. My in-laws would be a perfect addition but I don't want to drag them to the store if I can't get the deal. It says it can't be combined with some offers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If it's a simple choice or T-Mobile one plan you're good.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Anyone know what the deal is with the free Galaxy S7? The website says trade in a Note 5 or S6 or "other device". What exactly counts as an other device? Can I get a garbage $20 prepaid phone and trade it in?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the free Galaxy S7? The website says trade in a Note 5 or S6 or "other device". What exactly counts as an other device? Can I get a garbage $20 prepaid phone and trade it in?

From what I've seen online it does not include really old devices. My wife and I are still on Galaxy S4s and I was hoping to be able to trade those in for free S7s, but it doesn't look like they will accept them, however I have seen people mention we could still get a discount.

I'm honestly not sure what I want to do. Right now my wife and I are each on the $30 nerd plan because we barely use our phones to make actual calls, however we have kids on the way so I could see call usage going up. At the same time I'd love to keep our cell phone bills lower.

Our Galaxy S4s are really showing their age as well. I was hoping there would be some killer deals on Black Friday but it seems most of them, depending on carrier, require you to sign up for specific plans. Best Buy is offering a sale on an unlocked Galaxy s7 that we might do instead so we have the freedom to move around between carriers in the future.

Has anyone had any issues using an unlocked Galaxy S7 with the nerd plan?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

How long will this trade-in period last? I have a qualifying device and plan, and am interested in taking advantage of it, but I won't be by a t-mobile store until Saturday or Sunday. Thanks!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

poo poo, two free lines on my $100 unlimited plan and $325 back for my Pixel. Why does T-Mobile hate money??

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So did an iPad mini 4 deal get out or was that just speculation?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

WhyteRyce posted:

poo poo, two free lines on my $100 unlimited plan and $325 back for my Pixel. Why does T-Mobile hate money??

It's amazing. I was able to get my in laws in that plan, so we now have four unlimited everything lines for $100. Just great!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
So I know people used to use their upgrades on iPhones and then resell them and buy cheaper androids. Is this still a thing with the Black Friday deal? Could I get an iphone/S7 and just never unbox it and sell it to put towards a Pixel instead? Or is there something other than the SIM that would tie it to my account? Never bothered doing the phone flipping thing before, but since I've got an S5 I've been stuck with it, it seems ideal to upgrade or flip it to the phone I want.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I have a T-Mobile Galaxy S6 that just stopped charging completely last night. Charging through the cable or wireless gives nothing at all, on multiple different chargers.
I have had it for less than a year (but only by a couple weeks). I looked (briefly)into doing a claim through the handset protection plan we have, but despite the $12/month we're paying for it there seems to still be a $175 deductible according to the claim website. I haven't actually gone to a store or called customer support yet since its thanksgiving day.

The Free S7 they have this weekend is tempting, but we are currently on the Simple Choice 6GB $80/month plan (plus device installments for this phone and my wife's Iphone 6Plus), so i think switching to the new $120 plan will cost a bit more even with a free S7 since we will still be paying for my wife's phone (which is only about 5 months old). i'm not sure if it can work out to be the same monthly cost we are paying now. we rarely use more than the 6gb on our current plan.
I'm also guessing the T-mobile ONE plan doesn't include JUMP either? Or is that part of the device payments? I'm not completely sure. Also i think the trade in devices have to be fully paid off.

How boned am i trying to get a warranty replacement from a T-mobile store? A new phone would be nice but we can't really afford to pay anymore than we are currently.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Alpine Mustache posted:

I have a T-Mobile Galaxy S6 that just stopped charging completely last night. Charging through the cable or wireless gives nothing at all, on multiple different chargers.
I have had it for less than a year (but only by a couple weeks). I looked (briefly)into doing a claim through the handset protection plan we have, but despite the $12/month we're paying for it there seems to still be a $175 deductible according to the claim website. I haven't actually gone to a store or called customer support yet since its thanksgiving day.

The Free S7 they have this weekend is tempting, but we are currently on the Simple Choice 6GB $80/month plan (plus device installments for this phone and my wife's Iphone 6Plus), so i think switching to the new $120 plan will cost a bit more even with a free S7 since we will still be paying for my wife's phone (which is only about 5 months old). i'm not sure if it can work out to be the same monthly cost we are paying now. we rarely use more than the 6gb on our current plan.
I'm also guessing the T-mobile ONE plan doesn't include JUMP either? Or is that part of the device payments? I'm not completely sure. Also i think the trade in devices have to be fully paid off.

How boned am i trying to get a warranty replacement from a T-mobile store? A new phone would be nice but we can't really afford to pay anymore than we are currently.

I would contact T-Mobile for a warranty exchange. If they try to do you dirty, contact Samsung directly. Don't let them make you upgrade to a different phone or plan. Under a year should still be a warranty exchange as long as the screen isn't cracked, and no water damage.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 25, 2016

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Uncle Lizard posted:

I would contact T-Mobile for a warranty exchange. If they try to do you dirty, contact Samsung directly. Don't let them make you upgrade to a different phone or plan. Under a year should still be a warranty exchange as long as the screen isn't cracked, and no water damage.

Went into a store and they didn't give me any hassle about the warranty exchange.
The guy also said i was eligible for a JUMP upgrade so when the warranty phone comes in (on monday. apparently they don't exchange them for ones they keep in stock in the stores) i don't even need to take it i can just exchange it for an a Galaxy S7 and the only cost is the $4/month extra on my bill for the device, but i think i have to pay sales tax up front too. If that is the case I might do it, but it almost sounds too good to be true. I would prefer a new (and newer model) phone to a refurb i would get from a warranty exchange.

It occurred to me after i got home that if that was the case i probably should have just done a JUMP upgrade while i was there in the store and skip the warranty return.

Alpine Mustache fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 25, 2016

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Qu Appelle posted:

How long will this trade-in period last? I have a qualifying device and plan, and am interested in taking advantage of it, but I won't be by a t-mobile store until Saturday or Sunday. Thanks!

Ended up exchanging my Samsung S5 for a S7 Edge tonight, and upgraded to the Unlimited plan. Turns out I was back in town quicker than I thought.

Good thing too; the S5 was starting to give me memory errors.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If I switch to the unlimited plan today, I can do the Pixel discount? I don't have to be on unlimited for x months beforehand?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm switching from verizon to t mobile, my sim card is on the way. What info do I need from the Verizon primary account holder to move my phone number? Do I need to cancel that line before I transfer the phone number?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Traxis posted:

I'm switching from verizon to t mobile, my sim card is on the way. What info do I need from the Verizon primary account holder to move my phone number? Do I need to cancel that line before I transfer the phone number?

You need the account number and security code/PIN is associated with it. Don't cancel the line first because the port out process will automatically take care of that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FYI, Target's running 10% off on TMo refill cards, and if you have the Red Card it stacks another 5% on top of that. $80 of credit for $68.40.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

nimper posted:

You need the account number and security code/PIN is associated with it. Don't cancel the line first because the port out process will automatically take care of that.

as long as the port-out is the last number on the account. if it's not and you cancel it first you have to go through a whole bunch of other paperwork, and may invalidate promos you wanted to take advantage of.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

T-mobile texted me when I got to Europe telling me how exciting it was that I got free data roaming and texting. I noticed that they said I could enjoy this for the month of December, ending on the 31st. Is this a limited offer, or am I good into the new year?

The new year is in 20 minutes so if anyone knows I'd appreciate it, thanks :v:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
T-Mobile is killing off Simple Choice. Switching to a One plan would raise my bill about :10bux:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That actually saves $1.81/mo for my wife's line by moving her from 6GB to unlimited, thanks to the fees that they used to break out separately.

Still cheaper to keep my line on the nerd plan, though.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

T-Mobile is killing off Simple Choice. Switching to a One plan would raise my bill about :10bux:

I did this when I got my Samsung S7 Edge, but I find that the Unlimited Everything is worth it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So just to get it right, once Simple Choice is killed off all new customers will pay $70 a month for one line, no matter what?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bentai posted:

So just to get it right, once Simple Choice is killed off all new customers will pay $70 a month for one line, no matter what?

$60 if you use less than 2gb of data.

I think I'll keep my $86 all-in bill for two voice lines and two tablet lines each at 6GB.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Will I be able to keep my Simple Choice plan that I'm already on?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Will I be able to keep my Simple Choice plan that I'm already on?

Yes, for now. Presumably they won't kick people off of existing plans for a while.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

nimper posted:

Yes, for now. Presumably they won't kick people off of existing plans for a while.

That's a relief.

While I'm here, does anyone know of any plans to kick existing JoD customers off and force them to use regular financing at any point?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So keeping the $95 unlimited w/14 gigs LTE speed tethering is still the best idea, right? I do use the tethering a lot.

I always feel like these new plans are a sneaky attempt to get people off of unlimited.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hotsauce posted:

So keeping the $95 unlimited w/14 gigs LTE speed tethering is still the best idea, right? I do use the tethering a lot.

I always feel like these new plans are a sneaky attempt to get people off of unlimited.

The $95 One Plus International plan gets you unlimited full-speed tethering and unlimited HD streaming day passes, and the taxes and fees are rolled into the price.

It's worth a look, but doing the day pass thing is kind of dumb. They really want you to stay on the 480p streaming.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nimper posted:

The $95 One Plus International plan gets you unlimited full-speed tethering and unlimited HD streaming day passes, and the taxes and fees are rolled into the price.

It's worth a look, but doing the day pass thing is kind of dumb. They really want you to stay on the 480p streaming.

I keep reading this...I mean, save for the silly HD pass gymnastics, this One Plus International plan seems like a much better deal than the ballyhooed unlimited one I'm on, no? What's the catch aside from the HD passes? At the same $95, it seems to identical but with unlimited LTE tethering. That makes sense to me to switch, but I'm always leery of Legere's used-car salesman tactics.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 6, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hotsauce posted:

I keep reading this...I mean, save for the silly HD pass gymnastics, this One Plus International plan seems like a much better deal than the ballyhooed unlimited one I'm on, no? What's the catch aside from the HD passes? At the same $95, it seems to identical but with unlimited LTE tethering. That makes sense to me to switch, but I'm always leery of Legere's used-car salesman tactics.

I really can't see a catch. I know if I had unlimited tethering I'd surely abuse the hell out of that privilege.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nimper posted:

They just gave me 2 free lines so I ported over some family members from Verizon on the promise they'd save a bunch of money for unlimited data they'd better not :ohdear:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Historically tmobile has been good about letting you keep an old plan pretty much as long as you want.

The "uncarrier" gets more and more expensive with every "event"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
As someone still on a family plan with Simple Choice and mostly 1GB limits, this new plan looked somewhat tempting until I noticed that your music/video usage is charged towards your 2GB. Unlimited Spotify is worth more than that to me.

Also, introducing more and more complicated plans every six months is not very "uncarrier", T-Mo.