Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Pretending intergender wrestling is the future is very 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Commentary mentioned the roster being thin due to injuries this allowing a Ricky Mandel in Aztec Warfare.
Who all is injured?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

rovert posted:

Pretending intergender wrestling is the future is very 2014.
Given that there is a greater emphasis on intergender wrestling two years later, wouldn't those people have been correct?

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 18, 2016

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Dr. Baker posted:

Commentary mentioned the roster being thin due to injuries this allowing a Ricky Mandel in Aztec Warfare.
Who all is injured?

Iveliesse broke her ankle on the last episode.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Baker posted:

Who all is injured?

His entire entry was a Trece joke followed by his destruction by Pentagon. Again.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Where are Fenix, Aerostar, Daga, Dragon Azteca Jr., etc.? The roster did look pretty thin.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dr. Baker posted:

Where are Fenix, Aerostar, Daga, Dragon Azteca Jr., etc.? The roster did look pretty thin.

Fenix and Aerostar lost against Drago in a 3 way match for a spot in Aztec Warfare. Dragon Azteca is kayfabe injured. Daga is kayfabe dead?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dr. Baker posted:

Fenix and Aerostar lost in a three way qualification match against Drago, so he got the #20 spot and they were out. Daga is apparently dead at the hands of the not-yet-debuted LORD PINDAR. Dragon Azteca was beat down by Chavo Jr a couple weeks back and hasn't appeared again yet. Killshot, AR Fox, Argenis, Texano, and Cage lost a five-on-five qualifier. Chavo Jr. got driven out of lucha by Rey Mysterio. Ivelisse and maybe Taya were out with injuries. Puma is busy being dead.

Out of all those, only Ivelisse and maybe Taya were legit injury situations. And Daga may be a contract thing or he just didn't want to bother working in the states.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
SRM, just a simply yes or no will suffice (spoilered, of course), but is Lord Pindar actually a someone we will see in the Temple?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If our suspension of disbelief can handle Death Golem and God Monster, it should probably be able to handle that Death Golem can be pinned if he nearly died last week, fought God Monster at length this week, took many chair shots to the head, and put himself through two tables. Sexy didn't gorilla press the guy and hit him with a Warrior Splash.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Goddamn those chair shots. Please don't scramble Mil's brains LU. :ohdear:

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I'm one of those people who was extremely down on Sexy Star winning the title, I thought (and still do) that it should have been Ivie if they wanted a women's champion..but after tonight, I have to eat a little crow on that and say that the story they told with it, and how over Sexy was with the crowd made it come off WAY better than it sounded on paper. At the end of the day, if Sexy winning the title made people happy? Then i'm ok with it.

Other thoughts:

I love how consistent the show is with it's own mythology..they talk about Rey as 'the king', almost like he's a god in his own right, and so it makes perfect sense that he gets the first pin on Matanza (with a little help from everyone in the match), and somehow it's believable in a way that it wouldn't be if it were anyone else. And while i'm not going to spoil anything, if I didn't know the story they were telling with Pentagon, this might have been the episode where I said 'gently caress this, I give up, they're never giving him the title', and I can't blame anyone who feels that way. I think the problem is, they're trying to tell the 'guy who does bad things to people has it come back to bite him in the rear end' story with Pentagon, and that would be great..if the fans saw him as someone who deserved to have his poo poo come back to bite him in the rear end, but they don't. The fans want 'kick-rear end skeleton ninja who breaks arms to be champion and break arms more' as the story, and so there's a disconnect there.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 18, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Capsaicin posted:

SRM, just a simply yes or no will suffice (spoilered, of course), but is Lord Pindar actually a someone we will see in the Temple?

Yes.

For me, the Pentagon reaction I had was kind of the opposite of the post above this one. If this wasn't the time for him to take the belt, I don't mind at all that he gets taken out of Aztec Warfare by a four-way surprise attack from unknown enemies. I feel like that's a very protected loss, more so than just losing to someone random on the roster (or even getting pinned by Matanza again). And it gives him something interesting to do while Sexy and Mundo settle things -- that assumes of course that he's going to square off in some way with the ninjas, but it seems a safe bet that they wouldn't bring those three in just for that quick run-in. Some of this was tempered by my prior knowledge of how cool those three are, so if you've never heard of STARDOM before I could see how it might be a different reaction.

I will say there's a place later this season where I about popped a blood vessel on something Pentagon related though.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 18, 2016

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Benne posted:

For all of Sexy's limitations, she's always had charisma and knows how to tell a story in the ring, which frankly is more important to me than actual wrestling ability. No Mas and last night's match proved that she can deliver in the big moments.

Totally agree with this post. I missed most of Season 1 and have been heavily involved with Season 2 and 3 so I think I missed her worst moments. I've liked pretty much everything I've seen with her so far.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Sexy Star's post match promo to the live crowd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VfRGOCy_60

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

Meltzer's opinion on intergender fights is that it's driving away sponsors and not attracting fans, not that it's affecting the suspension of disbelief, which makes your entire post a giant non-sequitor.

Eh, someone may as well take the hit and try to make it work. LU isn't doing great but if they do go out of business it won't be because they had women fighting men.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The only time I found the intergender violence a little skin-crawl-y was watching Worldwide Underground constantly ganging up and beating on Sexy, especially coupled with her backstory of being a survivor of abuse. But I'll tell you, being one of those dicktards who's always been pro heel since I was a Hogan hating kid, and always wanting to cheer for those irascible goofs in WWU, they did a drat good job of making me want to see them get their asses kicked. My only concern for them is that woman punchin' heat seems like it could be hard to shake off. I think one of the reasons people started hating X Pac so much is the weeks on end he spent kicking Torrie (?) in the face. I know the Dudleys made serious hay out of throwing women through tables, but that is WAY more silly and cartoony them straight up hitting women IMO.

I dunno, I'm rambling, but I'm not opposed to intergender competition at all, but I feel like it has to be handled thoughtfully, which the Sexy Star angle ultimately was.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I don't mind the intergender stuff at all, but I do cringe a little when the commentary doubles down on it. If it's going to be normal for the women to fight the men, I don't need Striker telling me it's all okay that Cage just threw Taya by her hair into the fence or reminding me Sexy Star was abused while she gets powerbombed to poo poo by Mil Muertes. Given the way LU has pushed her since day one though, Sexy makes sense as a champion. The only times I really think she doesn't look great is when she's next to Taya or Ivalisse because they wrestle a lot harder than she does, and I doubt she'll be having a match with either during her reign.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
may her reign be long and fruitful and not just a ratings grab

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When Texano or Cage get possessed by that God or whatever, him, Mil Muertes, and Matanza should team up and for for the Trios titles.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Them facing off against the Super-friends as a Scary Monsters Trios Team would be so hype

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope Texano wins the series if only so the Aztec God powers can make him a more interesting wrestler.

Then again, inheriting powers didn't do much good for the Disciples of Death, so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

I hope Texano wins the series if only so the Aztec God powers can make him a more interesting wrestler.

Then again, inheriting powers didn't do much good for the Disciples of Death, so.

I had thought that as well, but it's Dario, so I doubt things are entirely straightforward.

This season has been fantastic and Aztec Warfare III - especially the first half - was pure fire. I love a good Rumble/Aztec Warfare anyways, and this one was incredibly well booked.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wouldn't say fantastic but any stretch of the imagination

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dsriggs posted:

But if it's comic book land, why is the story in just about every LU intergender match "Small Woman gets beat up by Larger, Violent Man and loses/flukes a win"? They're never portrayed at the same level of ability as their male counterparts.
See, this is exactly the difference between Sexy Star and Ivellisse for me. Sexy toppling Mil seems contrived. Ivelisse standing toe to toe with Mil, I totally buy it. Shame Ivie's ankle is glass, but once she's healthy I think we'll see her as champ before too long. What I would really like to see though, is a woman character get cool magic powers (like Catrina, but she's not a regular wrestler). That said, Sexy winning was still a great moment.

Dr. Baker posted:

Who all is injured?
I will say I appreciated the subtle joke of Mandel entering at #13. Until of course Striker yelled out multiple times that "He's entering at number Trece! Number Trece!" GET IT BECAUSE HE WAS A SKELETON MAN YOU GUYS

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

is there a reason i missed that the ninja ladies attacked pentagon and is it sexist to not want to see him in this particular feud?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

is there a reason i missed that the ninja ladies attacked pentagon and is it sexist to not want to see him in this particular feud?

Pentagon broke Black Lotus' arm at Ultima Lucha Dos for no real reason. They've since shown her preparing revenge with her ninja clan.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i can't believe i don't remember any of that but i guess it's better than fighting loving vampiro

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The ninja clan vignette was an end of episode stinger, so it's easy to forget.

The arm break came from a match between Black Lotus and Dragon Azteca Jr. While the match was going on, Pentagon Dark ran out, kicked both their asses, broke both their arms, then demanded they do the Matanza title match right then and there.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Why can't everyone just break joey ryan's arms/legs, send his wheelchair flying down the stairs like oj simpson in naked gun

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

sticklefifer posted:

I will say I appreciated the subtle joke of Mandel entering at #13. Until of course Striker yelled out multiple times that "He's entering at number Trece! Number Trece!" GET IT BECAUSE HE WAS A SKELETON MAN YOU GUYS

Worst part of that wasn't the "entering at Number Trece" call.

It's that it wasn't even Striker doing it. It was Vampiro.

Striker is contagious.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm excited because all 3 women are amazing wrestlers.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jay 2K Winger posted:

It's that it wasn't even Striker doing it. It was Vampiro.
I actually liked that Vampiro said that and not Striker. It reinforces the impression that Vampiro does know more about the magical side of LU than usually lets on as commentator.

If Striker had said it, it would have been a groundworthy fourth wall break, though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought Striker made the original call, Vamp repeated/corrected it, then Striker said it again, but maybe I misheard.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm excited because all 3 women are amazing wrestlers.

well either pentagon gets beat up 3 on 1 or pentagon beats up three women, which is still better than three vampiros in either case.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Whatever gets us more cool looking Canadian Destroyers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

Pentagon broke Black Lotus' arm at Ultima Lucha Dos for no real reason.

Somebody told him he was too scared to break a lady's arm.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why can't everyone just break joey ryan's arms/legs, send his wheelchair flying down the stairs like oj simpson in naked gun

I've been wanting Joey to do his handcuff gimmick in an Aztec Warfare super early on and instead of immediately getting ripped from the cuffs, everyone coming in just takes a cheap shot on him as they rush in.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i want 1960s bob roop to put joey ryan in a sugar hold and then demand to know why he calls himself a wrestler. then maybe eddie graham could sucker punch him in the dick.

what i'm saying is he is an effective heel because i don't like him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've been wanting Joey to do his handcuff gimmick in an Aztec Warfare super early on and instead of immediately getting ripped from the cuffs, everyone coming in just takes a cheap shot on him as they rush in.

Isn't that what happened in the last one?

• Locked thread