Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you liked FF6 so much why didn't you buy it back then?

OP, the Final Fantasy Megathread's former long standing title was "Every game is the worst game in the series", and I really think you should take that to heart. They're all bad.

There is a game series made in the 90's called Lunar, by a bunch of guys in a studio called UbiXseed Designs. They blow the water out of every single FF game, you should play them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

precision posted:

Tales of Xillia is really drat good. Also the Yakuza games.

Xillia is my favorite jrpg of the last console generation, and my favorite in the series.

(my second favorite is Lightning Returns)

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Tales of the Abyss is pretty good, but I couldn't get into Xillia. What I played of Vesperia was neat.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I loved Legend of Legaia back in the day. Breath of Fire 3, 4, and 5 are also great (I never played 1 and 2).

guts and bolts posted:

Front Mission 3

Hell yeah. For some reason FM4 didn't have quite the same magic but it was still a good game too. If we're gonna recommend SRPGs, Fire Emblem also owns.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Several of the FF games - 6, 7, and 10 among them - are good at being "about things" in an impressionistic, broad sort of way and at conveying a theme without necessarily having a good, nuanced, original, or even comprehensible plot.

The worst Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy 2.

This is an absolute truth, it combines poo poo mechanics with a garbage storyline to form a game that nobody should experience.

In general though it's weird to see people complain about the battle mechanics in a particular Final Fantasy game. Aside from ATB (which you can turn off, can't you?) they're all basically the same that way, except for FF2 as mentioned which is shitawful because of the weird leveling system where you have to use items/weapons to become more effective with them, and get beat up to increase max HP.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 17, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

If you liked FF6 so much why didn't you buy it back then?

OP, the Final Fantasy Megathread's former long standing title was "Every game is the worst game in the series", and I really think you should take that to heart. They're all bad.

There is a game series made in the 90's called Lunar, by a bunch of guys in a studio called UbiXseed Designs. They blow the water out of every single FF game, you should play them instead.

Lunar Dragon Song has the worst confluence of mechanical gameplay decisions in a single RPG.

Lunar one and two rule though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

This is an absolute truth, it combines poo poo mechanics with a garbage storyline to form a game that nobody should experience.

In general though it's weird to see people complain about the battle mechanics in a particular Final Fantasy game. Aside from ATB (which you can turn off, can't you?) they're all basically the same that way, except for FF2 as mentioned which is shitawful because of the weird leveling system where you have to use items/weapons to become more effective with them, and get beat up to increase max HP.

Sometimes people defend it, and try to argue that 1 or 3 or 13 is worse, and those people are wrong.

The Famicom version of 2 is effectively unplayable, and the remakes made it more approachable and the grind less punishing but left a lot of completely insane and backwards game mechanics (like how armor is pretty much always worthless because it tanks your evasion, which prevents your evasion from going up, which will make you paper-thin even in heavy armor at the end of the game).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lunar 1 and 2 are fine but are, like FF4, really bog standard when it comes to things like "customization" or "options" or "good side content". I'd only play them after you've played every Dragon Quest game from 3 onward.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Here are some jRPGs you should play, because they're really good:

Final Fantasy XII
Valkyrie Profile
Front Mission 3
Skies of Arcadia
The Legend of Dragoon
Star Ocean 2
Persona 3
Arc the Lad (there's a Working Designs collection that exists somewhere out there I think???)

It's a good smorgasboard of offerings with different play styles, different plot styles, and different mechanics. If you haven't played these games you really should.

LOVED Dragoon as a kid, finished it off then. Tried FF XII somewhat recently, liked it, never finished it. Same with Persona 3. I'll take a look at the rest, but I'm currently waiting for my copy of Valkyrie Chronicles to show up. Is that connected to Profile?

precision posted:

Tales of Xillia is really drat good. Also the Yakuza games.

I'll look into it, thanks.

DeathSandwich posted:

See above, add Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne to the list. It's basically Mad Max Demonic Pokemon and it's pretty great.

Devil May Cry is in this one? Just saw the trailer.

I'm really interested in diving into a game, but I worry that I might not have the attention span I used to as a kid, ironically enough, to finish off these long games. Still trying to finish my copy of Ni Nu Kuni I've been playing for ages.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I never played the original but the remake of FF2 was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Final Fantasy 14 is the last bastion of sane people in the company.

We need a man like Yoship to take control of the main series. Yoshi made FF14 work because he understood everything was wrong and fundamental changes had to be done, and even though he played safe and formulaic, he succeeded at a task seemingly impossible.

Jenner posted:

What ever happened to the FF7 LP Elentor was doing? Did it actually finish?

Miraculously yes.

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Question critical to my purchase of ff15, can I make the big tattoo'd guy gently caress the little twink guy?

Also did skies of Arcadia ever get an port/update, I want to play it again, but god knows where my dreamcast is

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

Question critical to my purchase of ff15, can I make the big tattoo'd guy gently caress the little twink guy?

Also did skies of Arcadia ever get an port/update, I want to play it again, but god knows where my dreamcast is

It was ported to the Gamecube which iirc Dolphin can emulate

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GameCube skies of Arcadia is also superior as they lowered the encounter rate in ship and massively cut it during the part where you're flying into the headwind for like 20 minutes.

Final boss still takes like an hour to beat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Figured I'd weigh in on this. I played FF games when I was younger and enjoyed them, though I never had the adoration for them that other people do. FFXV has completely failed to capture my interest, because despite seeing multiple trailer and previews for it I still have no idea what the game is supposed to be about. As far as I can tell, the story is about some young adults cruising around in a car fighting giant monsters. Why are they doing this? I dunno. Why should I care about them doing this? Dunno. So why should I play the game?

Maybe I missed the trailer that actually explains everything but I haven't seen any hook to make me want to play it.

Shageletic posted:

So what's good JPRG-wise then?

I'm old as gently caress and only have a PS3.

Xenoblade Chronicles (the first one, not X) is the last JRPG I genuinely enjoyed for more than just the gameplay, if only because the world was very unique.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 17, 2016

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I really liked FF7. I played it new when it came out when I was 9 or 10. I had never seen anything like it in a videogame and it really captured my imagination.

I played 6 later and it wasn't the same.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
A lot of it is just a matter of when you jumped into the series. I got my start with "helping" my older brother play Final Fantasy for the NES back when I was five, and then for realsies myself with Final Fantasy 2/4j.

So obviously my favourite Final Fantasies are 9 and 5

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Elentor posted:

All in all it's a good opening. Square did a version of it for the PS3, which is pretty neat and I recommend for everyone to watch:

It's also the closest thing we'll ever have to a remake because FF7 fans can't ever have nice things.

Guess what, 2011 Elentor, the Promise Has Been Made. :toot:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heaven Spacey posted:

Guess what, 2011 Elentor, the Promise Has Been Made. :toot:

I was reading the LP for the first time the other day and I actually giggled at that. :v:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Alris posted:

I enjoy asking people who liked FFX but hated FFXIII how a game all about running down a single corridor for 40 hours with painfully unlikeable characters and shitawful side content is good while another game dedicated to running down a single corridor for 40 hours with painfully unlikeable characters and barely any side content is bad just to see their flustered justification. XIII is everything bad about X concentrated to its purest form. Both games suck, and X's only saving grace is it gave us X-2 which revelled in its stupidity and let you beat the poo poo out of a Tidus lookalike (and didn't have the OG model until the very end anyway).

Both games are still better than anything with the words "Kingdom Hearts" in the title.

Your trying waaay too hard to equivacate the two games. A lot of people liked the protagonists in X whereas you'll find very few backers of most characters in XIII for example. The final scene in X with Tidus and Yuna still top people's most emotional video game moment list.

Which is to say that execution is everything. X had a well executed plot and characters with competent but simple combat. XIII had combat system so convoluted it took 10 hours to explain and charcters that didn't form a whole party in that time and that a lot of people couldn't relate to.

Just take the beginning of X. Crazy weird unexplained poo poo happens, Tidus is dropped into a new world. But he starts learning about it at the same time as the player and a real goal with with people and comadrie appears very quickly.

XIII on the other hand drops you into a world of jargon, has the characters hating each other or with active secret agendas, and the loving goal wildly oscillates throughout the story with backstabs and reveals. And it ends on a bizarre note instead of an emotionally fulfilling one, which say what you will about X, it knocked the ending out of the park.

Hell, in XIII -2 they managed to retcon a twist to make the ending even more bizarre.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DeathSandwich posted:

I bounced off of 10 pretty quickly because I couldn't stand the voice acting and Titus. 12 I bounced off of because I specifically couldn't stand Vaan and turned the game off at the "I'M CAPTAIN BOSCH" section. 13 I played to completion but I can be hosed if I remember anything about it other than really liking Sazh's character arc and specifically his 'You think you just die?" speech.

Actually the best part about 10 is the meta enjoyment you can get of Yuna and Tidus' voice actors getting better at their roles as the game progresses. Meanwhile I swear John DiMaggio sometimes dips into his Bender voice by accident.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Xenoblade X really that bad? Or just "not as good"?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

I'd say its bad. At least from a story standpoint, the whole thing is way worse. Right out of the gate the setting is way less unique and the setup for the story is told horribly. You have like 20 characters you can use but only two of them actually say stuff in most missions. Everyone else feels like an afterthought, barely ever saying anything. There's also a lot of pointless dicking around that is mandatory which really kills the flow of the story. The game tries to set up a sense of urgency right from the start but you're forced to do so much bullshit that it doesn't work at all. I stopped playing the game halfway through just because I found it so hard to care about anything that was going on.

Gameplay wise I didn't care much for it either but some people really like it. Regardless, I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles a hell of a lot more. Its not a nostalgia thing for me either; I actually played X before the first one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

It's very unfocused and seems to revel in it. Except for some upgrades in the combat mechanics and graphics you'd likely think X was the unpolished first game that got refined into Xenoblade.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Elentor posted:

We need a man like Yoship to take control of the main series. Yoshi made FF14 work because he understood everything was wrong and fundamental changes had to be done, and even though he played safe and formulaic, he succeeded at a task seemingly impossible.

FF14 is a good example of what happens when Square turns over things to new developers. Most of the people working on ARR were relative unknowns and they've managed to make something amazing from the ruins of the original. Only a few more days until we can see if Tabata can pull off the same trick.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

The exploration is good if you care about that sort of thing(except when monsters pop into your range because of the poo poo draw distance). Combat is ok. The music and story are really bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TheHeadSage posted:

FF14 is a good example of what happens when Square turns over things to new developers. Most of the people working on ARR were relative unknowns and they've managed to make something amazing from the ruins of the original. Only a few more days until we can see if Tabata can pull off the same trick.

The game's already out and being streamed.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Tae posted:

The game's already out and being streamed.

I'll have to watch some streams later on then. Street date still hasn't been broken in AU yet.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is, Final Fantasy games CAN have decent writing. World of Final Fantasy is really funny and on-point. FFIX has a great script and it has a lot of consistent themes that aren't blatantly in your face, something FFX can suffer from.

Square's gotten a lot better than the dark Dirge of Cerberus days, both in and out of the Final Fantasy brand. Bravely Default has funny dialogue and I'd say that the games tend to have far better voice acting performances than they ever have; FFX has some truly awkward scenes, whereas later games, even FFXIII-II, have scenes where you can tell the voice actors have a lot of fun with it.

With FFXIV knocking it out of the park in the storytelling department, I really have a strong hope that they have realized that strong characters and cohesive storytelling are what people want. FFXIII started out obtuse and then became so esoteric it's not even...it doesn't even begin to make sense. The entire opening monolog in FFXIII-3 is just awful, because the story is forced to tell, rather than show, everything about its setting because everything in the game is so distant and unrelated to the previous entries that the story would make even less sense if they didn't sum it up. Those games are told in confusing, non-linear, in-medias-res styles and it's really annoying and dumb and adds nothing. It denotes a lack of discipline or skill in the writing staff or else a director with far too much editorial power.

There are talented people at Square-Enix, and they're clearly capable of producing a genuinely good product. They've been orbiting a genuine incline in quality for a few years now. That's what worries me about FFXV, though. It's this big stinking anchor left over from this terrible decade-long span of the company where they decided spin-offs, 7-year development cycles, cheap cash-in sequels and games with little gameplay and stories that nobody could give a poo poo about. My concern is that FFXV will have all the wrong baggage, and a game that really needs to be a smash hit for Square will be a sort of tepid flop. Conan's bit on the game is honestly a really bad advert for the game, because the casual audiences who may have been vaguely curious about the game who watch Conan now have a really strong negative impression to a game that Square is clearly trying to market to mass audiences.

Obviously Square wants this to bring in Call of Duty numbers but with the brand sullied as it is, and the nostalgia crowd long since checked out, this game needs to be something that a lot of people like, and when you get reports such as "you need to watch the supplemental movie to understand the plot" it really starts to worry me that the talented, good writers at SE are either stuck in localization wings or glued to smaller outlier projects, and the company's "main talent" have remained the same cadre of lunatics who thought Dirge of Cerberus was a good idea. I really want FFXV to be a good product, but as somebody who really likes Final Fantasy games and who wants to see the franchise continue to produce high-budget, graphically-impressive, genre-defining role playing games, I also want it to sell well, and I fear that if it's even a lukewarm success, it will probably spell a huge loss for the company, given how loving hard they have been pushing the marketing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

fivegears4reverse posted:

Trails in the Sky part 1 and 2 can be played on pretty weak PCs, PSP, and Vita, Trails of Cold Steel part 1 and 2 are available on PS3 AND Vita. They are all connected, but you don't have to play Sky in order to GET Cold Steel. Playing one series will likely enhance your enjoyment of the other when you get the references.

Protip if you play on PC, some find the combat in the Sky games a bit slow, so feel free to speed up the battle animations if you want.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748643&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post452210850

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

XIII on the other hand drops you into a world of jargon, has the characters hating each other or with active secret agendas, and the loving goal wildly oscillates throughout the story with backstabs and reveals.

Except maybe the jargon, (which never actually bothered me, somehow,) this stuff was my favorite part of FF13, and I was pretty excited to see how it all ended up.
Yeah, I was disappointed, but I appreciated the tension while it lasted.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Gologle posted:

I have played the Lunar series and I 100% agree that it loving rules. I strongly recommend the Lunar series to anyone ITT who shares my opinions/preferences about games. Because, while Lunar doesn't really get into the kind of deep existential stuff FF does it is genuinely fun game. The only problem is you have to be pretty forgiving with the NPC dialog as you will be experiencing Working Designs' very dated and very notorious translations. There's some pop culture references strewn about here and there, some gay bashing, some sexism, some NPCs are just terrible people and some are super creepy perverts. But if you can look past all that, the games are incredibly charming.

The original games came out on the SegaCD and were titled Lunar: The Silver Star and Lunar: Eternal Blue. I'm not sure how hard or easy it is to find/get/play copies of these games. The games were remade and released on the Playstation as Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete. Copies of these games are collectors items and sell for over $100 on online auctions. The remakes are notable for the fact that SSSC adds and changes quite a bit of the content in the game from the original for some reason. (Probably in an effort to make it more JRPGy. As the old fogey I am, I think these changes reduced the quality of the game.) Eternal Blue Complete changes, removes, and adds some scenes as well but the game is largely the same as the original.

Again, if you haven't played these games try and find a way to because they are really something special. All the characters are great (except Nash.)

Barudak posted:

Lunar Dragon Song

Stop just making games up!
Lunar Dragon Song doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. :negative:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The exploration is good if you care about that sort of thing(except when monsters pop into your range because of the poo poo draw distance). Combat is ok. The music and story are really bad.

The story comment is understandable, but I can't forgive calling Xenoblade X's music bad.

At any rate, I very much enjoyed Xenoblade X and most of what it was doing, but if you are a really main story focused person who likes your jrpgs to be as jrpg-y as possible, it's not going to be the game for you.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jenner posted:

Seriously when is Cloud an interesting protagonist?
He spends the first half of the game going from being an apathetic edgelord to developing a sense of duty and purpose, which suddenly implodes when he finds out that he's a delusional impostor whose purpose was to kickstart doomsday, I thought that was pretty interesting.

guts and bolts posted:

Valkyrie Profile
I'd recommend VP2 over VP1. It smoothed out a lot of the rough edges from VP1 (like the extremely counter-intuitive story progression system) and drastically improved the combat.

Also Star Ocean 2 has ear-splittingly bad VO so test your tolerance to that before buying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jenner posted:

All the characters are great (except Nash.)

Someone didn't play Lunar on the Gameboy Advance where they retooled the plot yet further and made some other changes to have it fit on a GBA cartridge. It's definitely not quite as robust as the PlayStation versions, but its really good in its own way and makes Nash massively more likeable.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

TheHeadSage posted:

As far as I'm concerned he already did that with Type-0. It was a PSP game that brought back elements sorely missing from FFXIII like exploration. Also the combat was essentially FFXV prototype. (Noctis controls very similarly)

His team has unique ideas especially regarding the world building and combat so I'm excited

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 18, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What do people think has the best combat of the JPRGs of the PS2/PS3 era? I probably should not even participate because my ideal combat would be a combination of Legend of Zelda and Legend of Dragoon or something, and one of them isn't even a JPRG.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I'm currently waiting for my copy of Valkyrie Chronicles to show up. Is that connected to Profile?

Valkyria Chronicles doesn't have anything to do with Valkyrie Profile; Valkyrie is just one of those words that game developers loving love. It's a pretty good word I guess.

Just stay away from Valkyrie Drive and you'll probably be okay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What do people think has the best combat of the JPRGs of the PS2/PS3 era? I probably should not even participate because my ideal combat would be a combination of Legend of Zelda and Legend of Dragoon or something, and one of them isn't even a JPRG.

Shenmue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

Shenmue.

Haha OMG loving nostalgia hitting me like PCP.

I bought the XBOX because of that game.

• Locked thread