Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hpefully the Slayers D20 book has rules for Pacifism Crush and Love for all Mankind Kick.

;)

It's a prestige class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just can't get behind a Slayers D20. The system used in the series is clearly skill-based.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

wdarkk posted:

Slayers is pretty close to Wizard Supremacy: the Setting IIRC.

Clearly, the creator of Slayers was the only one who knew how a D&D setting actually looks like if the players have their way.

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, browsing through the Deluxe version of Godbound, I'm struck by how much of the extra content is devoted to: "Hi, we're gonna do Exalted, but better." It's cool, but also hilarious, that they're literally replicating Dragonblooded, Sidereals, Lunars and Solars, right down to having five "splats" for their totally-not-Solars, and optional special rules for anima banners and something suspiciously similar to Exalted virtue rules. What really strikes me, though, is how much better the Godbound not-Sidereals are done.

I can't remember if the review ever pointed that out.

So those crappier Godbounds without Followers were Dragonblooded? That explains a lot.

And no, I didn't point it out a lot. I know there was some Exalted stuff in there, but I'm not really familiar with Exalted outside of the general premise and the various horror stories floating around.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 17, 2016

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, browsing through the Deluxe version of Godbound, I'm struck by how much of the extra content is devoted to: "Hi, we're gonna do Exalted, but better." It's cool, but also hilarious, that they're literally replicating Dragonblooded, Sidereals, Lunars and Solars, right down to having five "splats" for their totally-not-Solars, and optional special rules for anima banners and something suspiciously similar to Exalted virtue rules. What really strikes me, though, is how much better the Godbound not-Sidereals are done.

I can't remember if the review ever pointed that out.

RE: Slayers D20. I played that once, years ago, I remember it... more or less fondly? Though I'm not sure if that was more down to the group or the system.

I still maintain that a proper d20 conversion of Exalted should retain stunting rules.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Doresh posted:

So those crappier Godbounds without Followers were Dragonblooded? That explains a lot.

And no, I didn't point it out a lot. I know there was some Exalted stuff in there, but I'm not really familiar with Exalted outside of the general premise and the various horror stories floating around.

Yeah, it's all but explicitly a conversion guide to Exalted. Godwalkers are Exalted's warstriders. Martial strifes are supernatural martial arts. Arrayed are Alchemical Exalted, Elementals are Dragonblooded, Exemplars are Solars (and probably Abyssals/Infernals, I suppose), Proteans are Lunars, Undestined are Sidereals. That's all the main types in Exalted before third edition.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Does that make corebook Godbound the Exigents?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, it's all but explicitly a conversion guide to Exalted. Godwalkers are Exalted's warstriders. Martial strifes are supernatural martial arts. Arrayed are Alchemical Exalted, Elementals are Dragonblooded, Exemplars are Solars (and probably Abyssals/Infernals, I suppose), Proteans are Lunars, Undestined are Sidereals. That's all the main types in Exalted before third edition.

Man. I can vaguely recall Exalted having some kind of Buster Sword, but I didn't know they had Giant Robots as well o_O

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Doresh posted:

Man. I can vaguely recall Exalted having some kind of Buster Sword, but I didn't know they had Giant Robots as well o_O

Grand Daiklaives and Warstriders.

The latter were based on the Guymelefs on Escaflowne. More like giant sized suits of armor usable by normal sized people.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bedlamdan posted:

The latter were based on the Guymelefs on Escaflowne. More like giant sized suits of armor usable by normal sized people.

But what about magitek hovertanks and jet skis?!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Doresh posted:

But what about magitek hovertanks and jet skis?!

It really depends on the edition. 1E initially kept things relatively restrained at first, with ancient magical artifacts of a lost age found in ruins, but as it transitioned to 2E the game's setting became much more like a post-apocalyptic science-fiction setting, with dudes in salvaged power armor forming a country's elite special forces. Then 3E dialed it back down again.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 17, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Does that make corebook Godbound the Exigents?

I mean it's really easy to frame them that way, but the default assumption is that Godbound get their powers spontaneously rather than from a patron divinity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Doresh posted:

Clearly, the creator of Slayers was the only one who knew how a D&D setting actually looks like if the players have their way.

Three of the four main characters are spellcasters of some kind and the one warrior is a clueless dolt, so yeah, pretty much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also the melee character is only relevant due to a magical artifact. Slayers is 100% accurate to actual table play, right down to the absolute convoluted magic negating bullshit any boss has to have in order to stand a chance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They even have the weird sidetrack episodes where the DM found a cool module in like Dragon Magazine and wanted to do it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And the plot of several of the films is the protagonists just completely refusing to investigate anything or putting together clues so the DM has to keep throwing encounters at the party until they decide, gently caress it, fine, I'll deal with this problem.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Barudak posted:

And the plot of several of the films is the protagonists just completely refusing to investigate anything or putting together clues so the DM has to keep throwing encounters at the party until they decide, gently caress it, fine, I'll deal with this problem.

This show sounds kinda legit with all this.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Night10194 posted:

Slayers is sort of the foil to Record of Lodoss War. Where Lodoss War was a good portrayal of a tradgame campaign and original setting, Slayers is really good when you watch it with full knowledge that it is more or less the director's portrayal of a game where the players fly off the rails and go nuts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lodoss War is a D&D campaign as the GM imagines it in his notes, Slayers is what actually happens at the table.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 18, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The plot of one of the films ends with the heroes a) not having learned half the plot so they have no clue why anything just happened or why it should be relevant to them and b) bitching about the now dead character who was basically a DM PC.

Watching Slayers could unironically make you a better DM as its a much better portrayal of the schizophrenic attitudes players at the table will have and the rampant desire for unlimited power while one dude is totally fine with "I hit them with my sword, maybe"

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
And Xelloss was a DMPC :aaa:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Barudak posted:

The plot of one of the films ends with the heroes a) not having learned half the plot so they have no clue why anything just happened or why it should be relevant to them and b) bitching about the now dead character who was basically a DM PC.

Watching Slayers could unironically make you a better DM as its a much better portrayal of the schizophrenic attitudes players at the table will have and the rampant desire for unlimited power while one dude is totally fine with "I hit them with my sword, maybe"

Guess I should go watch Slayers, then.

E: This literally happened in one of my Dark Heresy campaigns: They ignored everything about the spooky spaceport town and used physical evidence only to sneak off and inadvertently avoid an Innsmouth situation where the locals were supposed to turn on them, snuck into the big monster of the week's cave, killed it, and then quietly ambushed and murdered the local corrupt governor and his guard. They did such a good job hiding that they'd done goddamn anything that when Chaos hit the planet as the followup mission, they were able to just step in and go 'Uh yeah we're totally here to prepare you for the invasion, give us full command.' All because neither player at the time really liked talky segments since they were new to RP.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 18, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Guess I should go watch Slayers, then.

If you live in the US, Funimation should have the first three seasons available streaming on Youtube and their site for free. The OVAs and movies are currently unlicensed, as Funimation did not rescue them from purgatory.

E: I've decided that I'm going to split the introduction and race into different posts. The introduction is short, but once we get into the mechanics, it'll be too much to combine the posts and make it a reasonable length.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 18, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Here's the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSC4nCa6Qw4

The Dragon Cuisine episode alone makes worth a watch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first episode is pretty much the perfect distillation of a first session.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
My favorite Slayers thing is the movie (ova?) where they wake up the not-Tarrasque and it trundles around going "YO!" a lot before falling in love with a giant golem

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Lina Inverse buys a cursed knife that makes people go berserk at a Magic Weapon Store. The shopkeep wasn't even evil or anything; clearly the GM just rolled on a random table.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Way of the Wicked - Book 1 - The Branderscar Redemption

I lied at the end of the last installment, we’ve got some more backstory before the actual adventure. Screw you, we’re Evil.

Each book also starts with this handy summary, the story being divided into Acts. Using the breakdown of when PC’s should level I ignored XP for my campaign and just had PCs level when appropriate.

Because making a character in Pathfinder is slow

As established, Talingarde is bestest most Lawful Good kingdom ever constituted, but its rulers made a mistake when they drove out Asmodeus and persecuted his adherents. The devil god demands respect and will have his revenge. If only the knights of Talingarde had completed their work and not allowed an Asmodean priest to survive.

Samuel Havelyn was the bookish second son of a noble family, he joined the Church of Mitra but his father was only impressed by the knightly deeds of his older brother Sir Thomas. Young Samuel rose quickly in the Church by virtue of scholarship and was resigned to leading a life of devotion until one fateful day.

quote:

Samuel met Bronwyn. Bronwyn of Balentyne was perhaps the greatest beauty of her generation. Samuel fell deeply in love almost instantly and, using all his wit and charm, befriended her. His hope was that with time he could turn friendship into love.
Samuel was firmly in the friendzone, made all the worse when Bronwyn met his handsome brother and fell in love with Sir Thomas. Soon Thomas and Bronwyn were married and on their wedding night Samuel prayed to Asmodeus, calling down a curse upon the couple.

quote:

The curse would claim the life of Bronwyn, causing her to die in childbirth. Still her child survived and was named for his grandfather, who had died the year he was born -- Richard Thomasson of Havelyn.

Samuel would continue his rise in the Church of Mitra, attaining the rank of Cardinal, while expanding his knowledge of and devotion to Asmodeus. Eventually he was caught by the inquisition and burned at the stake along with his library of forbidden tomes. Any ordinary man would have died that day. Samuel lived and clawing his way from an unmarked grave uttered terrible oaths to Asmodeus. Asmodeus heard and on that night Samuel was reborn a lich, taking the name Cardinal Adrastus Thorn.

Cardinal Thorn would flee to the frozen north and there by divine guidance met another Asmodean, the warrior Sakkarot. Thorn crafted him a flaming axe gaining the savage warrior’s allegiance. There beyond the borders of Talingarde Thorn devised a plan to destroy the kingdom that had shunned him.
  1. First, unite the Bugbear tribes under Sakkarot
  2. Second, destroy the four pillars of Talingarde
    1. The Watch Wall
    2. The Holy Order of Saint Macarius
    3. The Knights of the Alerion
    4. The Royal House of Darius
  3. Third, when all seems lost an heir to throne will appear and defeat the Bugbear menace. Of course this lost scion of House Barca would be a worshipper of Asmodeus.
Cardinal Thorn can’t do this all by himself, he needs minions. He plans to gather nine “Knots” of followers one for each circle of hell. Thorn is committed to his gimmick as a good villain should be. The first 8 knots have been recruited it only remains to recruit the final group and as luck would have it an assortment of hardened criminals are awaiting punishment in Branderscar prison. Escaping the prison will be the perfect test for this group, a way to prove their are fit to be his most elite servants.

The book gives a summary of who these are Knots and what they’re up to which I’m skipping preserve the surprises later in the AP. I will point out that 3 of the Knots only consist of one member. Cardinal Thorn has some issues with organizational bloat.

No one has ever escaped from the Rock

ACT ONE: PRISON BREAK! (PCs are level 1)
Or PCs have been beaten, branded, searched thoroughly and find themselves shackled hand and foot to the wall in a common cell. Escape is unlikely, you have little choice but to wait grimly for sentence to be carried out. After some time to get acquainted and discuss their various crimes they are interrupted by the arrival of a group of armed guards led by the watch Sergeant Tomas Blackerly(CN Human Fighter 3) . This is the guy that held the brand when you were first brought to the prison and he laughed while you burned.

An Unexpected Visitor
Now he seems slightly confused (he’s charmed). He order’s one of the PCs to be unshackled and brought out of the cell to meet with a lovely lady who wants to say her final farewells. The book suggests choosing the most social character of the group. Waiting in a room down the hall is a beautiful woman who has obviously been crying.

quote:

“Oh, dearest,” proclaims the unfamiliar woman. “I’m so relieved you’re alive!” She quickly turns to Tomas. “Could we please have a moment alone, good sir? For pity’s sake?”
Tomas goes blank for a bit and then quickly agrees. “Of course, my lady. For you,’ tis no problem.”
Once he’s out of the room her demeanor changes revealing the grief as an act. She introduces herself as Tiadora and explains that if only they could escape Branderscar they have a mysterious benefactor that would like to meet them. Should they be successful the PCs are given directions to an old manor not far off. She offers the character her veil as a token of her very false affections.

quote:

Veil of Useful Items
This appears to be a fine silk veil of gossamer cloth. Only as it is held and closely inspected can you see small cloth patches of various shapes. One patch can be detached each round as a move action. Detaching a patch causes it to become an actual item. This veil contains:
• 2 daggers
• Bullseye lantern (full, lit and shuttered)
• Hempen rope (50-foot coil)
• Sack full of needed spell components (worth less than a 1 gp) and common clothes in the PCs sizes
• Thieves Tools, Masterwork
• Window (2 ft. by 4 ft., up to 2 ft. deep)
• Potion of cure light wounds
• 100 gold pieces
• Unholy Symbol of Asmodeus (silver)
Note that the window patch will create a window (and therefore a hole) in a nearby wall. If there are no nearby walls, it simply turns into a common wooden window frame. It cannot be
placed on a living creature however. Once removed, a patch cannot be replaced.

Useful indeed.

The PC is given a chance to ask questions but will only receive vague answers, any request for help in escaping is rebuffed. This encounter sets the tone for Tiadora throughout the campaign, she’s kind of a bitch and has little respect for the PCs. After this bit of roleplaying the guards return and she acts out an emotional exit. Before leaving she hits Sgt Blackerly with the whammy again suggesting he not have the PC searched before being returned to the cell. The PC gets one last jab from Tiadora via telepathic message reminding them they have 3 days to escape. Afterwards the PC is returned to the cell and shackled with the others. (I took the chosen player into a different room to have this conversation and enjoyed watching him explain all this to the other PCs and them be baffled.) Although the the PCs are now left alone in their cell prison guards, equipped with a signal horn, are not far away.

NO CELL CAN HOLD ME
The first real challenge our PCs will face is getting out of this damned cell. With the Veil they now have a real chance. But don’t forget those guards, if the PCs argue loudly or make noise in their escape attempt they will respond and they have the numbers to overwhelm the PCs. As failed attempts mount the guards grow more and more suspicious so a single concerted effort is best. If no PC can effectively pick the lock there are suggestions for creative use of a variety of low level spells. Fortunately the walls and floors of the castle are thick stone, nothing short of the signal horn will be heard by anyone except the guards stationed nearby. Once out of their manacles and past the cell door they only need to deal with those guards and the rest of the castle. No sweat.

The PCs start in room 18A, the other cells are empty except for 19. In this cell is Grumblejack, one of the last remaining ogres in Talingarde. He’s remarkable in a number of ways; he has above average intelligence, his alignment is NE rather than CE, and if you notice the tiny horns he has just a drop of fiendish blood in his family tree. Grumblejack was living a life of casual banditry out in the countryside until he was caught not long ago. He can be cowed into helping the PCs in their escape attempt and could eventually be a servant to this wicked band.

A lovable fuzzball.

The guards (LG Human Warrior 2) are stationed in room 17 once dealt with there are two ways down from here; an oversized chimney to room 11 or stairs to room 16. The chimney leads to the keep’s kitchen and is a DC 10 climb check. These are the only two ways out as this floor has no windows. (Although this would be a good use of the Veil.) Off of the guard room is a small chamber, room 20 with a wooden table where the lucky PC had his meeting with Tiadora.

Unbeknownst to PCs they are unwittingly helped by one other person; Sgt Tomas Blackerly. The Sergeant has for years been skimming from the payroll, running illicit card games, selling the guards cheap booze and operating the castle guard at half its normal complement of men. This sad state of affairs has been allowed by the Warden, Mathias Richter, a wizard from a noble family who is more interested in his arcane researches than running the prison. Thanks to Sgt Blackerly most guard posts are undermanned and the guards the PCs meet have a 25% chance of being drunk. If the PCs escape their cell but are recaptured by the guards Blackerly ceases his illicit activities for the time being, making their escape efforts more difficult. Do it right the first time, don’t gently caress up.

On the 1st floor of the Great Hall the PCs will encounter the most concentrated resistance.
8 - the Entry Way is 80 feet long and lit by a pair of torches. At the massive door on the north wall two guards are stationed. The PCs will need to be extra stealthy or act fast to deal with these two before they can sound the alarm.
9 - in the Barracks the PCs will typically find 3 off duty guards. Without their armor they are much less of a threat. The room contains a number of cots and a dozen locked chests. We get a d20 table for chest contents. A handful of money can be found between 1 and 25 gp of loose cash, there are a few objects worth significantly more and some food. The real treasure is an assortment of commoners clothes. The PCs are dressed in filthy prison rags, equipped with normal clothing they can move about the castle without being immediately recognized as escapees.
10 - The Mess Hall is empty most of the time and likely to be so at any time the PCs are making their escape.
11 - The Kitchen will usually have two NPC servants of the castle working to prepare meals for the guards. It also contains a large store of food which could be useful to escaping prisoners.
12 - The Armory door is locked (DC 25), Sgt Blackerly has the key. Inside is enough assorted armor and weapons to outfit the whole group. Any weapons in which the PCs are specialized can also be found here.
13 - The Storeroom is also locked (DC 25). In here are spare guard uniforms (useful!), torches, 100ft of rope and two 10 gallon kegs of lantern oil (that’s a lot of mayhem) along with other assorted junk.
14 - The Sergeant’s Office is cluttered and his desk covered in paperwork. A careful examination will find a map of the prison and and evidence that he is stealing from the prison.
15 - The Sergeant’s Quarters are messy and contain little of value. Hidden under the bed though is an iron lock box (DC 30) containing a dozen bottle of cheap whisky and 1235gp. All PCs will immediately realize this is not the normal stash of a guardsman.
16 - A stairwell connecting with room 17. It’s lit by 1 torch.

Outside the Great Hall
4 - In front of the main entrance is a Fountain with a statue of Dothan the Just, patron saint of law and order. :doink:. The courtyard area surrounding the prison is patrolled by two guards equipped with a bullseye lantern and a signal horn.
5 - On the east side of the castle is a vegetable garden. The PCs can gather several days provisions from here.
5a is a belladonna shrub. A PC that recognizes it can gather a few doses worth of poisoned leaves.
6 - The Guard Towers are the remnants of a bygone era of the castle. The battlement is patrolled by a pair of guards. (Anyone looking at the map will see that the Warden’s Tower splits up the wall but our AP test doesn’t address this.) The castle walls are also the first chance for the PCs to escape. One look should discourage any attempt here; a 60 ft drop to jagged rocks will only be followed by a swim against vicious tides. Nothing a level 1 PC is likely to survive.
6a is the castle Garderobe and it offers two opportunities. Off-duty guards can be caught here doing their business and if killed their absence won’t be noted right away. It’s also a slightly safer way out of the castle and into the sea. The sea is still a terrible choice.
7 - The prison’s Kennel house two watchdogs, eliminating them can slow down any attempt to track the PCs after their escape.

The Warden’s Tower
21 - The first floor contains a history of the castle along with a number of proud banners. It’s well lit and has a spiral staircase leading up.
22 - The Warden’s Library fills this floor. There are a lot of books but only 3 of value with prices ranging from 75 - 250gp..
23 - The spiral staircase ends here. There’s two doors in the room but it’s otherwise empty unless the PCs have hosed up somehow and the castle is on alert.
24 - The Warden’s Office is sparse and functional. In his desk can be found a very useful map of the surrounding area including their destination. In a locked drawer is the Warden’s spellbook which any wizard PC will appreciate.
25 - The Warden’s Private Chambers are finely appointed as befits the son of a noble house. Mathias Richter (LH Human Aristocrat 1/Wizard 3) can be found here most of the time unless the castle is on alert. He’ll try to run if confronted with melee combat but will fight to keep any prisoners from escaping.

The Gatehouse
3 - A three story structure marking the PCs exit from the keep.
3a - Heavy double doors on either side of the room with arrow slits on the east and west wall, overhead is murder hole. Not a good place to be caught.
3b - There’s no lock on the door leading into this room and a ladder will connect them to the rest of the building.
3c - This room is where Sgt Blackerly is most likely to be found running his illicit cards games. Guards who should be on watch in other parts of the prison are here gambling leaving their posts at half strength.
3d - This level connects 3b and 3c and the roof. It has more arrow slits looking out in all directions.
3e - The roof has one guard his compatriot being involved in the card game below. Jumping from here to the water below is guaranteed suicide.

The Way out
2 - The 100ft long bridge is the only safe place to jump to the into the sea but why would you do that with the guardhouse so close.
1 - The Guard House has one guard on duty (the other being in Blackerly’s card game) with a guard dog. Once eliminated the PCs are free.

There's some good fights to be had getting out of the prison and the PCs will be sorely tested

CROSSING THE MOORS
The PCs need to get to the manor, ahead of the is a trackless salt marsh. There’s a few maps of this area in the prison which if found makes the journey trivial. If not they have to navigate the swap with each failed skill checks delaying them an hour. If the don’t make it by dawn search parties will be out for them.

quote:

On the moor, our villains can meet any animal companions, mounts or familiars they are due. Such an animal may (at the Game Master’s discretion) lead them to the house of Adrastus Thorn almost as if some divine patron were sending them a sign.
Also to be found on the moor is Lashtongue the Giant Toad, he’s a grumpy old SOB that will try to eat anything he meets. If killed the PCs can track down his lair which contains 170gp worth of loot. This whole section feels anti-climatic after the prison break and I skipped it.

This section also has advice about what to do if the PCs go off the rails and try to go somewhere other than the manor house. They are wanted men and women with no resources; all roads lead to Cardinal Thorn. Let’s assume the PCs do as expected.

quote:

After escaping the prison, surviving the monstrous Lashtongue and crossing the moors with guard patrols at your heels, finding the house on the Old Moor Road pales beside your other accomplishments. As promised, a lonely lantern burns in the upper story. The place otherwise shows little sign of habitation. Old but well-appointed, the house is large, imposing and alone on its hill. Painted a dark green and surrounded by barbed wrought iron fencing, nothing about this place seems inviting or a sanctuary. Still, it is your destination. Where will you go if not here? You have an appointment to keep. Best not to keep your nameless benefactor waiting…
If the PCs don’t escape after 3 days punishment is carried out and our story is over. The book recommends against this for obvious reasons.

NEXT TIME: Meet your Master

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 18, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Please don't use "pre" for a quote, it doesn't wrap. So your post is going waaaaaay off the side.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You might want to shorten the Veil of Useful Items statblock, as it's breaking tables.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Lodoss War is a D&D campaign as the GM imagines it in his notes, Slayers is what actually happens at the table.
Lodoss War and its assorted series and spinoffs literally was a D&D campaign, or rather a series of works based on the replays/novelizations of the campaign. I mean you can look at it and even pinpoint the moment they swapped from D&D to AD&D and you suddenly saw demihumans that had different classes and stuff like assassins and barbarians appearing. :v:

For various reasons that mostly involve TSR's licensing in Japan being horrible that I'm sure someone besides me can explain better they eventually swapped to Sword World, but it's really kind of interesting to see regardless.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Asimo posted:

Lodoss War and its assorted series and spinoffs literally was a D&D campaign, or rather a series of works based on the replays/novelizations of the campaign. I mean you can look at it and even pinpoint the moment they swapped from D&D to AD&D and you suddenly saw demihumans that had different classes and stuff like assassins and barbarians appearing. :v:

For various reasons that mostly involve TSR's licensing in Japan being horrible that I'm sure someone besides me can explain better they eventually swapped to Sword World, but it's really kind of interesting to see regardless.

Lodoss War was apparently /heavily/ embellished compared to the actual play, in the original game Parn died like a couple of sessions in and Deedlit looted all his stuff before pawning it off.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Asimo posted:

Group SNE basically invented the concept of replays, which are novelizations of tabletop rpg sessions in Japan. Record of Lodoss War was their first replay and was a runaway hit, even outside of rpg groups, a lot like Dragonlance in the US. They used D&D to start out with, so Group SNE approached TSR to ask if they could get into some kind of promotional deal and for some reason TSR passed. Later on Group SNE switched over to their own system that I think eventually evolved into Sword World, which iirc is the default high fantasy ttrpg in Japan still instead of D&D.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 18, 2016

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

You might want to shorten the Veil of Useful Items statblock, as it's breaking tables.

Sorry about that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bedlamdan posted:

Lodoss War was apparently /heavily/ embellished compared to the actual play, in the original game Parn died like a couple of sessions in and Deedlit looted all his stuff before pawning it off.

Good. Parn sucks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That art for the veil is pretty awesome.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My group almost left Grumblejack behind, because half the party didn't want to be burdened with a drugged ogre during the escape. But he quickly became their favorite NPC.

I skipped the whole giant frog bit as well and just did a montage (i.e. having each player describe a problem the group faced in crossing the swamp, and another player explain how their PC helped overcome it). Worked all right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've never liked running pre-written adventures (I like writing my own and I know my players and know they'll never stay on rails in any form) but I can't imagine how anyone runs a pre-written campaign. It just feels like sooner or later your players are going to do things different enough to diverge completely, even if they really like the basic gist of the plot.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Mitama posted:

I mean it's really easy to frame them that way, but the default assumption is that Godbound get their powers spontaneously rather than from a patron divinity.

Well, there's one possible origin that suggest they might've gotten their powers form the MIA God of the setting, but "Became a demi-god thanks to that stuff leaking out of Made Gods and looking for a new host" is mentioned a lot more (though even that one is not 100% certain).

Barudak posted:

Just like the movie I watched (the first one I think; basically "Two spellcasters have a pissing contest during vacation while some weird demon frog tries to get their attention by trying to get them killed."). Wouldn't surprise me if that actually happened at the table.

I really need to dive further into this franchise.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Group SNE basically invented the concept of replays, which are novelizations of tabletop rpg sessions in Japan. Record of Lodoss War was their first replay and was a runaway hit, even outside of rpg groups, a lot like Dragonlance in the US. They used D&D to start out with, so Group SNE approached TSR to ask if they could get into some kind of promotional deal and for some reason TSR passed. Later on Group SNE switched over to their own system that I think eventually evolved into Sword World, which iirc is the default high fantasy ttrpg in Japan still instead of D&D.

And here I thought only WotC could cut off entire markets for strange reasons *looks back at when 4e was killed off in Germany after the release of the 3 core books*

And those Japanese translations have been pretty funky. The Rules Cyclopedia for example has been split into multiple smaller books with manga art.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Doresh posted:

And those Japanese translations have been pretty funky. The Rules Cyclopedia for example has been split into multiple smaller books with manga art.
They also did that with the Lord of the Rings, I think. They just really like small books over there.

Honestly, I wish more English games came in a pocket-sized format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Siivola posted:

They also did that with the Lord of the Rings, I think. They just really like small books over there.

Honestly, I wish more English games came in a pocket-sized format.

*Looks at Pathfinder's bulletproof book*

Yeah, something a bit more handy would be neat.