Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is Check It Out with Dr. Steve Brule, I'm Dr. Steve Brule, and today, we're gonna check out a Kongus. Whoa, look atem, that's a big boy right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Where is Kong supposed to be in terms of size compared to '14 Godzilla?

I read quite a while back that they'd intended a fairly significant size difference, and would be exploring Kong's "natural advantages" in the eventual face-off, but it all remains to be seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I appreciate that the movie isn't going to be shy about showing Kong and the various creatures, but that doesn't mean they have to show it all in the trailer. I'm definitely going to tell anyone I know who's interested in the movie not to watch the trailer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Bimmi posted:

I read quite a while back that they'd intended a fairly significant size difference, and would be exploring Kong's "natural advantages" in the eventual face-off, but it all remains to be seen.

Kong having electrical powers confirmed.

Wonder if we'll see Frankenstein or Mechakong?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

a huge wang that he can swing around his head like some kind of club

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

You don't want him to throw his poop. No really,you don't.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

how big would his poo poo be? like i'm trying to think of scale and it's gotta be bigger than a car

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He probably shits butterflies or something.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Now,part of me is imagining the VS movie to be similar to a Pro Wrestling match-John Goodman and Dr.Serizawa both serving as Kong and G's managers,respectively. Then again,Godzilla movies (or at least some of the Japanese ones) are similar to Wrassling in a few ways. For instance,Gigan is that jobber Heel you can't help but feel sorry for,Jet Jaguar is the best Face,and the humans are like really annoying fans.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Waffleman_ posted:

This is Check It Out with Dr. Steve Brule, I'm Dr. Steve Brule, and today, we're gonna check out a Kongus. Whoa, look atem, that's a big boy right there.

Hahaha

I would definitely buy some kind of complete Steve Brule collection blu ray if it existed.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bimmi posted:

I personally don't like it when they make Kong too big (and outside of the original, they always do.)

Peter Jackson's was only a foot taller than the original at its biggest scale (he was different sizes on Skull Island and New York). And obviously smaller than the 70s and Godzilla versions.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

VolticSurge posted:

Now,part of me is imagining the VS movie to be similar to a Pro Wrestling match-John Goodman and Dr.Serizawa both serving as Kong and G's managers,respectively. Then again,Godzilla movies (or at least some of the Japanese ones) are similar to Wrassling in a few ways. For instance,Gigan is that jobber Heel you can't help but feel sorry for,Jet Jaguar is the best Face,and the humans are like really annoying fans.

And Anguirus is the face that always ends up jobbing to show how big and bad the heel is before the pay per view

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The book I have about Godzilla claims that before vs Destroyah Tokyo newspapers published "interviews" with the two monsters as if they were preparing for a sumo bout.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Scientists teach Kong sign language so he can cut promos on that jabronie Godzilla.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Peter Jackson's was only a foot taller than the original at its biggest scale (he was different sizes on Skull Island and New York). And obviously smaller than the 70s and Godzilla versions.

The way they handle his size in the original is weird, but they use the smaller Kong in most of the scenes where he's interacting with humans so I'm comfortable thinking of him as 25-30 foot tall, give or take.

I just like it better when the monster is not so huge that scale becomes an almost abstract concept. Godzilla was way too loving big in G14, and the Heisei movies suffer a bit for this as well. On the other hand, I had my doubts when Toho announced that theirs would be EVEN BIGGOR, but it's another weird thing that fits that movie perfectly; Shin Goji is, in human terms, no more relatable as an entity than a volcanic eruption or an asteroid strike, and that's the whole point of his character there.

(now I'm thinking I need to watch PJ's Kong again... I remember liking it pretty well, but I'll be damned if it's made any kind of lasting impression on me)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PJ's Kong was exhausting. Like here's Kong fighting a T-Rex while protecting the girl, cool. Now here's a second T-Rex, oh poo poo.

Now here's a third T-Rex. Why? The whole movie just keeps adding past what's needed in a lot of its scenes. Like here's a stampede but also a raptor chase. The Empire State Building scene / death was surprisingly muted compared to the rest of it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 18, 2016

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seems like a really weird choice to make a three-hour movie out of.

Any of y'all seen the 1976 Kong lately? Holy balls, is that thing a wall-to-wall embarrassment for everybody involved.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Bimmi posted:

Seems like a really weird choice to make a three-hour movie out of.

Any of y'all seen the 1976 Kong lately? Holy balls, is that thing a wall-to-wall embarrassment for everybody involved.

1976 Kong is definitely goofy, but I think people give it too bad a rap. It's not great by any means, but it's alright.

Also, Jeff Bridges is there!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the extended version of Jackson's Kong worth watching? I hear there are sea monsters.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That bug pit scene was just so gnarly. I still think about it all the time.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Krazyface posted:

That bug pit scene was just so gnarly. I still think about it all the time.

Yeah,that was of the few scenes in the Jackson film I actually liked. Besides maybe the fish monster in the extended cut.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I grew up watching King Kong Lives which is the sequel to the 76 movie. And I have a huge soft spot for it's insane cheese.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really enjoy Jackson's Kong, I appreciate the effort he went to with the period setting, it makes the slower first half much more watchable than it may have been otherwise. I like all of the performances, and once things kick off the movie definitely gains momentum and carries it through to the end.

Maybe its better as a home viewing experience than in the theatre. At home I'm less likely to be squirming in my seat wondering when the movie is going to be over.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Vintersorg posted:

I grew up watching King Kong Lives which is the sequel to the 76 movie. And I have a huge soft spot for it's insane cheese.

That movie is bugfuck insane and it's amazing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Vintersorg posted:

I think my favorite detail is at the end Lady Kong goes through all this intensive labor to give birth to a baby the size of her pinkie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw Jackson's Kong like 3 times in the theater. I was really into that flick. I still kinda dig it but I do skip around quite a bit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I saw Jackson's Kong like 3 times in the theater. I was really into that flick. I still kinda dig it but I do skip around quite a bit.

Meanwhile, I feel bad for not being excited for this because I've never liked Kong in any iteration. I do like the idea of a Kaiju Cinematic Universe though.

(I'd kill to see a hypothetical Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla :swoon:)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One day I need to watch 76 again. I've seen Kong Lives waaaaay more.

I'm pretty happy with how they're doing Kong so far because it seems to be striking a balance you really need for the character. Because let's be honest here, the original '33 film is... at its core it is an extremely racist movie. Which is something that it just cannot avoid.

Typically Kong in media either swings one way, AKA going full speed ahead into the inherent racism, or the other way, AKA Kong fights giant robot dinosaurs. There isn't much middle ground.

Kong Lives swings way to the side of the robot dinosaurs for how little it has to do with the story and just how freaking silly the whole thing is.

King Kong VS Godzilla nearly had a balance like this if it wasn't for the literal black face and the way the 'natives' are presented. Thaaaat movie was racist on its own terms!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

(I'd kill to see a hypothetical Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla :swoon:)

Original Godzilla vs Legendary Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla and then they team up to shove Zilla in a locker.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Kong Escapes is super good. I'm a big fan of both Mechani-Kong and Gorosaurus as kaiju.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
King Kong 76 is a weird movie that feels like it should work more than it does. It's nicely shot with a touch of seventies naturalism which is cool for a fantastic premise (kinda like Superman), the music is great, the cast is superb, but there's just no payoff. A few nice ideas ( I like the way Kong's unveiling/escape is presented, fictional park and all) but it never has any visceral punch.

I LOVE the Jackson version though. I feel like all the added time and such gave Jackson room to tweak the themes of the story- Ann is special not because she's a blonde (i.e. White) but because she introduces Kong to things like laughter and beauty and gentleness. Making Denham an Orson Welles type raises questions about the spectacle machine and the real cost of creating, and whether it's worth it- there's arguably as much self examination of the author here as in Death Proof.

Plus you know it's Jackson thinking "I have one shot at paying tribute to the movie that I love and I'm going to go all out." Spider pits, dinosaurs everywhere, it's definitely self indulgent but that gets a bad rap these days.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What even are these crossovers anymore?

https://twitter.com/MillisBrent/status/799790059973029888

Not that I'm not 110% behind Blade Wolfzilla.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want that to be Shin Mechagodzilla.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The KK76 score is really drat good, Jessica Lange is absolutely delicious, and that is all I'm willing to give that stupid movie. It's loving awful.

It was a hilarious shitshow behind the scenes, though. God clearly did not want this movie to be made. Some highlights:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/king-kong/250594/the-struggles-of-king-kong-76

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The funny part about Lange's performance is that she did it too well, and directors and casting people assumed that she really was a ditzy shallow model/starlet, and she was badly typecast. She had to pay out of pocket to film an audition for The Postman Always Rings Twice, and she got the part and an Oscar nod and people took her seriously at last.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Because they already announced Godzilla vs Kong for 2020, and both movies feature the government agency Monarch. They've been pretty explicit about them being related series.

Wait, why have the "prove monsters are real" thing in the trailer then? After Godzilla and the MUTOs stomping around, skepticism seems like it would be hard to come by. Is Kong going to be a prequel?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

Wait, why have the "prove monsters are real" thing in the trailer then? After Godzilla and the MUTOs stomping around, skepticism seems like it would be hard to come by. Is Kong going to be a prequel?

It's set in the Seventies IIRC.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Roadie posted:

It takes place in the '70s. Ironically, its setting is actually closer to the '70s Kong than either the '33 film or the '05 film by association.

Which means that you can basically rest assured that Godzilla vs. Kong will be King Kong Lives levels of bonkers.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The filmmakers have all but stated outright that it's going to be a Vietnam allegory on top of everything else, so we'll see how THAT plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean they've got some of the imagery and the decade right.

Just that's a very tight rope to walk.