Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

007: Nightfire, released in 2002 and developed by EA Games, is a semi-tie-in game to Die Another Day. You know, the last Pierce Brosnan Bond film that nobody liked. Top out with Goldeneye and it's only downhill from there, I guess.
However, Nightfire's developers instead opted for a plot more akin to Moonraker. Just with Brosnan's face, but not his voice. And his car I guess. And again, it's by EA. The points keep piling up for this thing not working out.

Luckily, EA had already knocked it out of the park with the outrageous and fun 007: Agent Under Fire, which I had the pleasure of LPing back in 2011. All they had to do for Nightfire was use Agent's general gameplay and update it with more gadgets, more guns, and a more cohesive and serious story. They succeeded, and to this day many consider Nightfire to be one of their favorite Bond games. It helps that both Agent's and Nightfire's multiplayer modes give Goldeneye's a serious run for its money.
(I would argue making it more serious takes away some of the fun, but it's a solid game regardless. And balls hard when it wants to be.)

Bond is sent to investigate a stolen device intended for the US Space Weapons Platform in orbit around Earth. Green industrialist Raphael Drake appears to be behind the theft, thus Bond must infiltrate Drake's operations and stop him from taking control of the space missiles. Along the way there'll be plenty of explosions, rockets, innuendos, and gorgeous and wooden ladies for you to very briefly give a poo poo about.

This is a 100% LP that follows the format of my Agent Under Fire LP: the main playthrough completes the whole game in order to get all of the gold medals. Afterward, I will go back and collect the 007 Bonus tokens and the platinum medals, along with any other fun stuff I might have missed. I'm playing through the GameCube version, and I am aware that there are differences between the various platform versions (apparently the PC version is atrocious). I'm not in a position to show those differences, but I welcome folks in the thread who would like to share them.
My co-commentators are BigTUnit1 and JigglyJacob. Every update will have two versions: "Edited", where our commentary is cut out for cutscenes, and "Uncut", where our commentary is in place for the whole video. I will endeavor to edit the commentary so that nothing important gets cut out of the edited versions.

I want to say that Agent Under Fire is necessary viewing, but if you would prefer not to wade through the somewhat outdated quality and awkwardness of that LP, I put together a Best Of compilation during one of our channel's downtimes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Now that you're working on two James Bond games, I'm starting to wonder what the good ones are. I never played Goldeneye when it came out and aside from that I can't name any of them off the top of my head beyond Agent under Fire. And that's only because you did that one before.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Legit been waiting 5 years for this lp

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh man this was one of my favourite games as a kid. I don't know whether it was just me being bad at video games, but the end of the game ended up way too difficult to ever actually beat. Looking forward to seeing how well I remember it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Will you be doing the PC version as well?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Now that you're working on two James Bond games, I'm starting to wonder what the good ones are. I never played Goldeneye when it came out and aside from that I can't name any of them off the top of my head beyond Agent under Fire. And that's only because you did that one before.

Perfect Dark is the best Bond game. :colbert:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Legit been waiting 5 years for this lp

Can I empty quote this? Because this is literally what I came in here to say

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

I thought the Quantum of Solace tie in was a good, if unexceptional shooter made by Treyarch. Blood Stone's OK too, but again, it's mostly good but not great. 007 Legends was horseshit, though.

I do have to wonder how a modern Bond game would be done, given how the last few have followed the Goldeneye formula and tanked. I gave this some thought a while back and concluded that something like the recent Deus Ex games (That is to say, quasi open world game with stealth/action moments and tense negotiations) with the augs replaced with gadgets might be the way to go.

EDIT: I am so glad that "My friend is dead! CIRCLE STRAFE!" made it into the highlights reel.

GoneRampant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 12, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

No joke, a telltale bond game would be great. Model is kinda like Batman with qtes for actions nd the rest being dialogue.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I enjoyed your Agent Under Fire LP, so I look forward to this one. I never really delved much into Bond games, with only Goldeneye N64 and its spiritual successor Perfect Dark being my exposure to them (outside of going through LPs).

bunnyofdoom posted:

No joke, a telltale bond game would be great. Model is kinda like Batman with qtes for actions nd the rest being dialogue.
"Pussy Galore will remember that."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

I do have to wonder how a modern Bond game would be done, given how the last few have followed the Goldeneye formula and tanked. I gave this some thought a while back and concluded that something like the recent Deus Ex games (That is to say, quasi open world game with stealth/action moments and tense negotiations) with the augs replaced with gadgets might be the way to go.

Extremely linear but absurdly well polished. Like Uncharted 4 and its on-point apple bite technology.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I like the Bond Strawhat emblem at the end of the video. That's an amusing touch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hey, a request -- could you turn up the gamma a bit on these videos? They're really dark. I meant to say something about the MDK2 videos too, but kept forgetting. There were times in that LP where I literally couldn't see anything except a little of the player model because everything else was black.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey, a request -- could you turn up the gamma a bit on these videos? They're really dark. I meant to say something about the MDK2 videos too, but kept forgetting. There were times in that LP where I literally couldn't see anything except a little of the player model because everything else was black.

We notice that too in later videos. I don't have a non-distracting way of brightening them, but I do use the night vision glasses when things get really dark in later parts. The glasses themselves are way too bright, and I don't want to throw off the balance and kill any retinas.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Oh god, Nightfire. This is certainly one of my favorite Bond games too; I've played this way too much when I've first picked it up with my PS2 so long ago, then I picked up the GC version some years ago when it went for very cheap when GameStop was cleaning out their GC games. I played them entirely too much, even if it's just me doing stupid team games with bots where I did nothing but mess with the multiplayer options and screw around with some glitches.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does Zoey have no feet when she showed up for the secret meetup?

Ozdhaka fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 12, 2016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The guards are speaking German, but they're speaking the German one would speak in Germany, not the dialect spoken in Austria. The new Wolfenstein has both German and Austrian guards; I've always wondered if someone unfamiliar with the language would be able to hear the dialect difference.

What you heard as "close the TV" is "Los, erschieß ihn" (go on, shoot him).

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 12, 2016

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I wish that you had the ability to go prone in this game. All I'd ever do is pull out the lighter and give people hotfoots.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This is the sound I heard when I clicked open this thread:

BAH DAH BAH DAHHH BA DA DA!

Happy New Year Bond.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Me and my mates had a blast playing Nightfire multiplayer when we were younger. My favourite bits include:

- a laser cannon weapon that took literally fifteen seconds to charge, but would kill anything within 20 meters when fired
- all the explosives had a massive blast radius, & would ignore wall hitboxes
- you could unlock Oddjob and could throw his hat as a heat seeking 1hit kill weapon
- there were two levels that had moving skyrails/ski lifts that you could camp in
- suitcase weapon that turned into a tiny controllable tank with a minigun
- bots using the Jaws skin would try to melee everyone to death

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had this on Gamecube when I was younger and it was probably my favorite goddamn game on the system. It took me ages to figure out the final level, though, because I was a dumb kid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The anti-Bond Moment sound effect would clearly be the sad trombones.

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
Yessssssss, happy to see this getting LPed. Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing are two of the best Bond games out there, IMO.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I was wondering if those moments with the frozen models would happen here too. I had the Gamecube version as well and those always happened when I played through. It's hard not to notice them.

Anyway, this game seemed to be doing the same thing that Die Another Day did. That is, it's loaded with references to the older Bond movies. Some are really obvious like the parallels with Moonraker you mentioned or in one of the later levels, the music has a piece of the On Her Majesty's Secret Service theme in it. Keep an ear out for that. Oh and the game also has a Die Another Day trailer included with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GoneRampant posted:

I thought the Quantum of Solace tie in was a good, if unexceptional shooter made by Treyarch. Blood Stone's OK too, but again, it's mostly good but not great. 007 Legends was horseshit, though.

EDIT: I am so glad that "My friend is dead! CIRCLE STRAFE!" made it into the highlights reel.

I don't think "follow the GoldenEye formula" is a bad idea as long as you can actually make a good game. GoldenEye is fun even today, despite looking horribly outdated and being made for an antiquated and awkward controller, because it was designed very well to the point where the gameplay still holds up. The bigger problems the recent Bond games have had have been trying to copy modern shooters like Call of Duty and suffering from repetitive gameplay and bugs.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think "follow the GoldenEye formula" is a bad idea as long as you can actually make a good game. GoldenEye is fun even today, despite looking horribly outdated and being made for an antiquated and awkward controller, because it was designed very well to the point where the gameplay still holds up. The bigger problems the recent Bond games have had have been trying to copy modern shooters like Call of Duty and suffering from repetitive gameplay and bugs.

Both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 put a high emphasis on exploration and experimentation, which is something that's sorely missing in today's shooters. Hell, it was one of my biggest gripes with Max Payne 3; the first two games are linear but with open enough environments to screw around with in. MP3 was basically one big corridor with a cutscene every ten seconds. I'd love to see shooters return to less rigid structures in favor of screwing around. That's why those Rare games are still repayable even today.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question: is there circle strafing in this game?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
My middle school life had some weekly multiplayer with friends from martial arts class with Nightfire. I never played the campaign mode but maybe I should go change that now that this started.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: is there circle strafing in this game?

Regrettably, not by the enemy AI. It's not very smart, but it's not insane either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think this was the Bond game where my friends and I would abuse the hell out of the grapple gadget in multiplayer

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
As somebody who only ever played the PC version, I'm still trying to come to grips with the idea that there were versions of this game that were good and fun to play.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sef! posted:

Both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 put a high emphasis on exploration and experimentation, which is something that's sorely missing in today's shooters. Hell, it was one of my biggest gripes with Max Payne 3; the first two games are linear but with open enough environments to screw around with in. MP3 was basically one big corridor with a cutscene every ten seconds. I'd love to see shooters return to less rigid structures in favor of screwing around. That's why those Rare games are still repayable even today.

At the same time, Max Payne 3 ends up being fun as hell because they put a ton of effort into the gunplay to make it feel fresh despite still having all the core mechanics of its predecessors. 007 Legends could have had the open environments of GoldenEye and Perfect Dark and still would have probably failed due to poor gameplay design.

Speaking of crappy old Bond games, anyone remember Rogue Agent?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

After Agent mode no longer cuts it for reaching gold, I upgrade to 00 Agent mode and take a stab at non-lethal takedowns. I can imagine I still did it wrong.

chitoryu12 posted:

Rouge Agent's the game that taught me that companies are hateful liars. My dad and I loved Goldeneye; go figure they knew no one would want to play this boring-rear end game if they didn't arbitrarily have that name in the title.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ThornBrain posted:

After Agent mode no longer cuts it for reaching gold, I upgrade to 00 Agent mode and take a stab at non-lethal takedowns. I can imagine I still did it wrong.

Rouge Agent's the game that taught me that companies are hateful liars. My dad and I loved Goldeneye; go figure they knew no one would want to play this boring-rear end game if they didn't arbitrarily have that name in the title.

I managed to play like 30 minutes of it. NEVER. AGAIN.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
don't forget that the deagle brand deagle has a laser sight! :eng101:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

As an Austrian I can confirm everything you've said in this video.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That CD looks a little like the cover to Closer, but not a lot.

There's a lot more to this level I don't think I ever found. I had no clue about all those secret passages to sneak up on everyone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I remember correctly, a lot of the levels keep up the trend with multiple pathways. There's a stealth level later in the next video that actually doesn't suck!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Christ, I remember that from my freshman year in college. Pretty much my entire dorm was so hyped up for that, and we were all so disappointed when it came out. I think we pretty much stopped playing Rogue Agent within about...I want to say 2 or 3 days because it was so bad.

Also, putting money down on Kiko being a double agent that'll try to backstab us in the near future.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I never got far in this game but I remember enjoying the poo poo out of it for the 2 weeks I rented it way back when.

so will this LP have anything crazy like the car in the train tunnel like in your Agent Under Fire LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, putting money down on Kiko being a double agent that'll try to backstab us in the near future.

She was in the opening credits doing martial arts in a revealing black leather outfit. That ain't no good guy getup.

• Locked thread