Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1D3ET2lS1w

zach yuen becomes the first chinese player to score a goal in the khl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
In front of 700 moderately interested fans.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Mage_Boy posted:

The front office staff at the WBS Pens were telling me they are pretty sure it's Albany.

I would expect Vegas to go to Albany or Portland, at least for a season or two, until they can build themselves something closer.

That makes me happy to hear. The reason the sens are moving is distance, and I was worried Vegas would be the same issue. I have no doubt the attendance will stay good. Maybe we'll get a better team out of it too....

Probably not

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Toledo doing 16-bit night on saturday hell yeah

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

DJExile posted:

Toledo doing 16-bit night on saturday hell yeah

Maaaan, that's sexy af.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
nwhls second season isnt going so well

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nwhl-cuts-player-salaries-half-save-season/

quote:

The National Women’s Hockey League is slashing its player salaries in half as a cost-cutting measure meant to allow the league to keep operating in its second season.

Commissioner Dani Rylan told reporters about the cuts on Friday, one day after informing team executives and players. Rylan did not specify the amount of the cuts but said they are necessary to save the league.

A person with direct knowledge of the decision tells The Associated Press the cuts essentially cuts the league’s payroll in half, representing about $440,000 in savings. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because Rylan declined to disclose any details regarding the size of the cuts.

Ryan says the cuts do not apply to league employees and team employees who are not players.

Rylan blamed part of the cash-flow crunch on declining attendance a month into the season.

New York Riveters defenceman Ashley Johnson called it "not a good day," and said players were shocked upon being informed of the need for pay cuts.

Last year, the NWHL became North America's first women's hockey league to pay players a salary ranging from $10,000 to $26,000.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

For $440 000? That the NHL is stepping in here is embarrassing.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Hand Knit posted:

For $440 000? That the NHL is stepping in here is embarrassing.

i assume you mean isn't stepping in? probably because if they did the cwhl would get mad as hell considering their players don't get paid at all

the fact that they aren't supporting either of them at all is embarrassing in its own right

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fits posted:

i assume you mean isn't stepping in? probably because if they did the cwhl would get mad as hell considering their players don't get paid at all

the fact that they aren't supporting either of them at all is embarrassing in its own right

Yeah, I missed a negative in there.

Compare to how the NBA has supported the WNBA, the NHL is just listless.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah, I missed a negative in there.

Compare to how the NBA has supported the WNBA, the NHL is just listless.

If anything the NHL would probably back the CWHL over the NWHL. The Leafs, Habs and Flames at least support the local teams pretty well.

Not sure if the league itself has picked a horse in the race yet.

Not enough to pay players, but at this point that's probably unfortunate but reasonable. Considering the crowds at the couple of games I've been to, paying players would probably not be sustainable without relying completely on the NHL or a rich local to pay the bill out of the goodness of their hearts.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

SKA might be good this year, i dunno

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
So, apparently one of the Sudbury Wolves hauled off and belted a linesman in the game against Niagara tonight?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

St. Dogbert posted:

So, apparently one of the Sudbury Wolves hauled off and belted a linesman in the game against Niagara tonight?

Given how volatile hockey players can be when poo poo doesn't go their way and how moody teenagers can sometimes be, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
marlies goalie situation is interesting

2005 world junior goalie hero jeff glass played in his first north american pro start after 7 khl years

sparks on the other hand http://www.tsn.ca/sparks-suspended-indefinitely-by-leafs-1.617534

quote:

According to users in a Facebook goalie group for which Sparks is an administrator, members of the forum were mocking a disabled person and Sparks came to that person’s defence by asking one of those in the forum where he lived and writing, “I want to go to open hockey with you, drag you out to center ice and beat you into a [expletive] pulp until you can’t run that [expletive] little mouth of yours. God, you sound like a 13-year-old girl.”

When another member reprimanded Sparks for insulting women, he apologized and continued, “Girls don’t even whine as much as this guy does.”

Keefe said there is no timetable for the goalie’s return. His status will be reevaluated by the team in the next week. Sparks could not be reached for comment.

:rip:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Williams just Tim Thomas'ed someone with his stick after a goal in the WBS Bridgeport game tonight. Ref called nothing even though there was a pool of blood on the ice afterwards. I'm expecting a suspension from this one. At least WBS held on to win 1-0 after that poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey Hockles, go yell at whoever scheduled a Monsters TV game to be at the same time as the Jackets are playing. :argh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Barrie Colts are Barrie Bad this year. Very high chance that they miss the playoffs for only the second time since we got the OHL team back.

Hand Knit can share in my pain since Kingston is also suffering from "The NHL drafted all all our good players and London still cheats the draft to get all the young talent so the cupboard is bare". :(

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Found a picture of the ice after the WBS power play goal tonight. https://twitter.com/CVSethLakso/status/802692158482423808

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

fits posted:

marlies goalie situation is interesting

2005 world junior goalie hero jeff glass played in his first north american pro start after 7 khl years

sparks on the other hand http://www.tsn.ca/sparks-suspended-indefinitely-by-leafs-1.617534

:rip:

This is why most teams prefer their players keep quiet on social media. Keefe already gave up on Sparks last year, I doubt it was a tough decision to suspend him. Sparks was a fun story last year starting out but nobody would shed a tear if we never saw him again.

Unrelated fun fact: the Leafs don't have a single worthwhile goalie in their system outside of the guys on the big club, apparently in terms of personality as well as goaltending talent.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

Found a picture of the ice after the WBS power play goal tonight. https://twitter.com/CVSethLakso/status/802692158482423808

yikes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's called Hextalling, unless what you mean is he shot him from a bunker.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm trying to follow a team in every pro league in North America

Which SPHL team do I hitch my wagon to?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm trying to follow a team in every pro league in North America

Which SPHL team do I hitch my wagon to?

Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs is a world class nickname. Followed closely by the Fayetteville Fireantz

That Z makes it extra rad.

E: holy poo poo I thought the Peoria Rivermen sounded familiar. They've been in like every league :stare:

Wiki posted:

Peoria Rivermen is the name of four minor league hockey clubs:

Peoria Rivermen (IHL), 1984–1996
Peoria Rivermen (ECHL), 1996–2005
Peoria Rivermen (AHL), 2005–2013
Peoria Rivermen (SPHL), 2013–present

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
An easy way in would be the Columbus Cottonmouths, who have Canada's top female goalie as their starter

They're not very good right now but at least you won't be a lovely Pensacola Ice Flyers bandwagoner

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

checksin posted:

An easy way in would be the Columbus Cottonmouths, who have Canada's top female goalie as their starter

Not anymore, they don't.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

checksin posted:

They're not very good right now but at least you won't be a lovely Pensacola Ice Flyers bandwagoner

John McLean, MIAC hero

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Not anymore, they don't.

She played for Peoria this year, but was released.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
oilers announced that they're hosting the ivan hlinka u-18's in 2018, 2020, 2022. czech republic & slovakia alternating the other years

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Team Canada announced its invites to WJC camp. Only one draft eligible player this year (Nolan Patrick).

http://www.tsn.ca/barzal-strome-among-world-junior-camp-invitees-1.619303

No real stars on there, but Team Canada will be incredibly deep and the team to beat again this year. No Jake Virtanens to ruin it for everybody either.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
gretzky and robataille will be the alumni captians for the baby oilers/baby kings ahl outdoor classic :getin:

also

https://twitter.com/Condors/status/802932770188103680

get with the times, nhl :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

teddy bear tosses own so hard

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Team Canada announced its invites to WJC camp. Only one draft eligible player this year (Nolan Patrick).

http://www.tsn.ca/barzal-strome-among-world-junior-camp-invitees-1.619303

No real stars on there, but Team Canada will be incredibly deep and the team to beat again this year. No Jake Virtanens to ruin it for everybody either.

The US could have a very skilled team if they pick the right guys

which they won't

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Blues are apparently set to drop their affiliation with the Chicago Wolves and move it to a new team in KC, which will play at Sprint Center and be owned by the Missouri Mavericks (current ECHL) ownership group.

Honestly, it's about drat time they did this. Hockey in KC is growing thanks to the new Mavs owners (Lamar Hunt Jr. is the lead guy, which helps quite a bit), and while the Mavs draw pretty well they're also out in Independence, which is a bit of a rough drive if you live in KC proper or (spit) Johnson County. Plus potentially the move frees up the Independence arena (a very nice barn) for Hunt's other desire of a USHL team.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I wonder if the Blackhawks will move the Ice Hogs to Chicago to fill that vacancy.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Hockles posted:

I wonder if the Blackhawks will move the Ice Hogs to Chicago to fill that vacancy.

I think the Blackhawks franchise makes enough bucks that moving the Hogs would just cause more problems and financing then it would be worth. Rockford is still an easy bus ride or short hop flight away.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
las vegas will move in there with the chicago black hawks

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hockles posted:

Rumors I'm hearing are Vegas will take over the Wolves, since Allstate is a stone's throw from ORD and thus one can get regular, fairly inexpensive transit to and from LV for call-ups/drop-downs.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

351 current and former CHL players have joined a class-action lawsuit over not being paid proper wages.

Surprised this story hasn't gained more traction, especially in light of the large amounts of coverage a similar lawsuit involving minor-league baseball players has received.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Troy Queef posted:

351 current and former CHL players have joined a class-action lawsuit over not being paid proper wages.

Surprised this story hasn't gained more traction, especially in light of the large amounts of coverage a similar lawsuit involving minor-league baseball players has received.

Junior hockey is very very very ingrained in Canadian culture. Anything that challenges it is going to have trouble gaining traction in traditional media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Also outside of the half-dozen or so US cities with a CHL team Junior Hockey may as well not exist in the United States.

• Locked thread