Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The last thread got gassed & i think everyone knows why. There's a PYF rule atm about political derails being potentially bannable, so if you want to talk in-depth about the recent elections it'd probably make sense to do it in d&d. Anyway, let's continue to celebrate diversity by sharing our valuable unique insights about what kind of messed food that it's actually really good to put ketchup on.

1) i'll never get a flu shot. i don't want a guaranteed 2-day cold in order to maybe avoid getting flu for a week. odds are you wont get a flu either way, and even if you do, you'll probably live.

2) not voting isn't lazy or stupid, it's an entirely valid way to express dissatisfaction with the political system. Your opinion as a non-voter isn't worth any less, and it is not less meaningful than it is to vote blank or write in a joke or protest candidate. Insisting that you have to vote, is playing into a narrative that invalidates the feeling of disenfranchised people.

3) mandatory voting is stupid for all of the above reasons, and the only reason people seek to implement it is 1) because they mistakenly think that the silent & disenfranchised masses is on their side, or 2) to get a high-voter turn-out that makes it look like people aren't disenfranchised despite voting now being under the threat of being fined.

4) Most people fail to realize what the Sin of Pride means. You're allowed to take pride in your accomplishments, there nothing wrong with that. If you have an inflated sense of self and you are concerned with appearing intelligent, disciplined and moral, that is the Sin of Vanity, just the same as if you are overly concerned about appearing beautiful. The Sin of Pride is putting yourself before God, essentially, the sin of pride is basically the sin of not believing fully in God.

5) When i peel potatoes I like to snack on a raw one. They're crunchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snapchat is just an excuse for people to take pictures of themselves

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

MBV is My Bloody Valentine's best album.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Most of classical music is boring and the people who claim to enjoy it only do so to appear sophisticated.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Grandmother of Five posted:

1) i'll never get a flu shot. i don't want a guaranteed 2-day cold in order to maybe avoid getting flu for a week. odds are you wont get a flu either way, and even if you do, you'll probably live.

You apparently don't actually understand why you get flu shots. The point of immunizing a population is to protect the members of said population who can't be immunized. People like myself have compromised immune systems and can die or be seriously injured from getting things like the flu, other people getting flu shots helps prevent us from being exposed to potentially fatal viruses.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't care for Robin Williams.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You apparently don't actually understand why you get flu shots. The point of immunizing a population is to protect the members of said population who can't be immunized. People like myself have compromised immune systems and can die or be seriously injured from getting things like the flu, other people getting flu shots helps prevent us from being exposed to potentially fatal viruses.

you're right that's a good reason to get a flu shot, but i don't think that's why most people who get one actually does so. at least the way flu shots are marketed here doesn't mention that at all & is just about not getting a week or 2 of personal downtime from flu. i don't doubt the validity of the reason you mention btw, but i've never heard it marketed or even advocated as a reason from sources like our NHS

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watermelon is a trash food, and unfit for even feeding animals.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.
Sweet tea is loving gross, it's like someone took a gigantic cup of sugar and poured a tiny little bit of tea into it.

Iced tea is best served unsweetened.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Load is the best metallica album

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Taxation is an essential function of government, and governments have the responsibility to collect enough tax revenue to provide unconditional housing, medical care, child care, and kindergarten through college (or trade school) to all citizens.

Das Boo posted:

I don't care for Robin Williams.
:smith: I can completely understand if you didn't like his acting or comedy, I met him while he was filming Old Dogs (5% rating on Rotten Tomatoes) and I never even watched the movie. That said, he was one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met and he was humble about his celebrity while appreciating his fans.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ive always thought this and not just cuz of the last thread getting gassed: gassing threads just because they get derailed or someone shits it up is dumb. If it's being derailed a mod can just post "hey relax" or whatever to get it back on track, or probate for a few hours the offending posters. Instead the threads are just gone with no explanation, and usually its only a few posters out of many that ruined it for everyone.
It's worse in gbs, but still, its a crappy way to govern the threads, especially since there is no post mortem as to why most of the time.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I don't care if metal is the anime of music, it'll always be in my top 3 favorite genres of music - doesn't matter if I'm 9 or 99 :allears:

Jastiger posted:

Ive always thought this and not just cuz of the last thread getting gassed: gassing threads just because they get derailed or someone shits it up is dumb.

I agree with you here. Although I'm betting there must've been like a couple dozen reports in the space of a few hours, that would certainly set off a death knell for a thread with already near-poo poo rating :v:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Magic Shows are fun and cool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you think well done steak is objectively wrong but you like crispy bacon, you are a fool and a hypocrite. Overcooked meat is overcooked; either acknowledge that different tastes are equally valid or stop ruining your bacon.

Grandmother of Five posted:

3) mandatory voting is stupid for all of the above reasons, and the only reason people seek to implement it is 1) because they mistakenly think that the silent & disenfranchised masses is on their side, or 2) to get a high-voter turn-out that makes it look like people aren't disenfranchised despite voting now being under the threat of being fined.
The main positive effect that I can see is that it encourages people to choose the lesser of two (or more) evils rather than apathetically not voting because no candidate is perfect. In the recent American election, for example, there were a lot of people who, if pressed, would almost certainly have been able to say that one candidate was undoubtedly worse than the other, but voted for neither.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Most of classical music is boring and the people who claim to enjoy it only do so to appear sophisticated.
Thinking that just because you don't like something therefore no one does is incredibly childish. I'm sure there are people who claim to enjoy classical music for the sake of looking sophisticated, but there are many more people who actually enjoy it as a genre.

Personally, I think Bach is overrated, but that's just me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like Rachmaninov. Threatening piano is cool as gently caress.

e: Rachmaninoff. Phone posting has been doing this weird thing where it won't register additional text or changes if I switch tabs before posting.

Das Boo has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Nov 19, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Das Boo posted:

I like Rachmaninov. Threatening piano is cool as gently caress.

e: Rachmaninoff. Phone posting has been doing this weird thing where it won't register additional text or changes if I switch tabs before posting.

You reminded me of one of my favorite classical music/comedy duos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w

(Holy poo poo, this video is nearly ten years old now :eyepop:)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

hard counter posted:

I don't care if metal is the anime of music, it'll always be in my top 3 favorite genres of music - doesn't matter if I'm 9 or 99 :allears:

Anime in the sense that like good anime, it's great. There is lots of bad anime too, but you can choose to only listen to the good ones.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Blind Guardian is a great. Sabaton is boring. You get the idea.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Load was the first Metallica album I ever owned. King Nothing was my poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm Asian and I don't give a gently caress about Hollywood whitewashing Asian roles

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Cake is gross.

I only like white chocolate, tolerate milk chocolate, and despise dark chocolate.

Thanksgiving is a stupid and bad holiday.

Frank Sinatra did not have an amazing singing voice.

Friends was just mediocre.

Britain SHOULD return the Parthenon friezes.

Canadians are in no way polite. At least, no more than anyone else.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's good to wear fedoras, and be a pick-up artist, and all that

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Just so long as we're agreed that Re-Load was about 85% garbage.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Canadians are in no way polite. At least, no more than anyone else.

As a teen I used to live up in a town in Washington cozied right up next to the Canadian border. When I got my first retail job, my co-workers warned me about Canadian holidays as they'd come down in droves, tear the store to hell and we'd probably be there until 1 am getting poo poo back together. What they didn't warn me about was how they'd hold up lines to smugly deride you about your dollar, your president, your healthcare... all sorts of political things that you, the 17 year-old girl in shoes had no control over. It got to the point where you could swap the Find-the-Vegan with Find-the-Canadian.

So yeah, I agree with you.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

reading the e/n Online Dating thread sometimes, imo, it's weird and off-putting when people specify an age-range when seeking partners that isn't centred on their own age. it seems really normal, especially for guys to specifically look for younger women, and i wouldn't even be surprised if sites default to that, but it's still off-putting imo. i don't care if a 34 year old goon is looking for partners aged 24-44, or 29-39, but it's off-putting when it's skewered like a 34 yo looking for 24-36 year olds.

i'm not saying everyone has to be the exact same age, but specifically seeking out someone younger than yourself is an off-putting preference.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Traditional white wedding cake is literally the worst kind of cake. It isn't even a close race; that poo poo is garbage.

America's holidays mostly suck. They've been transformed into festivals of gluttony focusing largely on material things thanks to marketing. I generally refuse to celebrate them.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
gently caress Christmas. It stays for like an entire quarter of the year and every loving Christmas song makes me want to poke holes in my ear drums. Maybe it's just 11 years of retail taking but I hate everything about Christmas.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
Christmas sucks. There i said it.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
99% of rap music is horrible garbage for misguided white people to listen to

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GWBBQ posted:

:smith: I can completely understand if you didn't like his acting or comedy, I met him while he was filming Old Dogs (5% rating on Rotten Tomatoes) and I never even watched the movie. That said, he was one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met and he was humble about his celebrity while appreciating his fans.

My Grandmother and his mother were actually friends and played bridge together. I never met him, but as a kid I played with his kids once or twice since I'm right in between them in age.

Das Boo posted:

As a teen I used to live up in a town in Washington cozied right up next to the Canadian border. When I got my first retail job, my co-workers warned me about Canadian holidays as they'd come down in droves, tear the store to hell and we'd probably be there until 1 am getting poo poo back together. What they didn't warn me about was how they'd hold up lines to smugly deride you about your dollar, your president, your healthcare... all sorts of political things that you, the 17 year-old girl in shoes had no control over. It got to the point where you could swap the Find-the-Vegan with Find-the-Canadian.

So yeah, I agree with you.

It really depends on where in Canada you're talking about. My girlfriends family is from the middle of nowhere Alberta and they are extremely friendly people (which is extremely at odds with their frankly bigoted opinions about some stuff). My experience with BC is that those people are total assholes and that Vancouver is basically tied with NYC in how self important people who are from there think they are. Paradoxically every Canadian I have met warns me about how mean people from Montreal are, but my experience visiting there was that everyone was extremely nice.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

pizza is vastly overrated

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Alcohol is the only gateway drug.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

doverhog posted:

Blind Guardian is a great. Sabaton is boring. You get the idea.

Blind Guardian is good, like really good. But be careful, if metal is to anime, then power metal is to shounen.

Eyes will roll when people find out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It really depends on where in Canada you're talking about. My girlfriends family is from the middle of nowhere Alberta and they are extremely friendly people (which is extremely at odds with their frankly bigoted opinions about some stuff). My experience with BC is that those people are total assholes and that Vancouver is basically tied with NYC in how self important people who are from there think they are. Paradoxically every Canadian I have met warns me about how mean people from Montreal are, but my experience visiting there was that everyone was extremely nice.

You nailed it, then. This was in Bellingham, a stone's throw from Vancouver. I certainly don't expect every Canadian to be like that, but it soured the hell out of me regarding their reputation for politeness. It was especially irritating that they'd use one hand to pat themselves on the back for it while using the other to slap you in the face.

Regina, on the other hand, was lovely.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

zh1 posted:

99% of rap music is horrible garbage for misguided white people to listen to

Rap is one of the few genres that didn't have a "golden era" surrounded by a whole bunch of mediocre music.

Tom Waits has never made a bad album.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
There is nothing wrong with abortion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Please Please Me is a better listen than any of the Beatles' post-Help! albums

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Diet Mountain Dew is better than original Mountain Dew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can spend hours on social media railing against The Wrong People then you have time to educate them.