Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Took them months to get that jump working without you flying into space.

Just that one jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

why...

why did he go there instantly... :pedo:

jfc, seeing all these RSI posting personalities, and recalling what they were like several years back compared to nowadays' madness, is so depressing.

The RSI forums and CIG's work in general should genuinely be labelled a mental health hazard.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

im glad they showed the on foot first person shooter team-based arena mode in the large space simulator game but no simulation of space

have they ever made a full scale star or planetary system or pulsar or black hole or jump point in four years? have they simulated space? i think they just made the water z level invisible and added a star skybox personally

those planets are cute but they're ten gigabytes per single planet let alone a single game environment (if we count jump points as loading screens) but im glad to see they finally tackled the problem of a networked 4v4 first person shooter in the first person shooter engine, and im glad people are buying the big 3dsmax things that aren't even playable because that means this thing gets even more bloated and causes even more software developers to go bald

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 19, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SelenicMartian posted:

Took them months to get that jump working without you flying into space.

Just that one jump.

It was kind of funny because it almost looked like he was preparing for it and just hoping it wouldn't gently caress up and then they just sorta slipshod edited it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

do you think they realize having a single planet that isn't even remotely as fleshed out as what would be necessary for an actual game let alone a demo that is like ten gigabytes is not feasible at all, and all that work they're doing to develop tools is useless because they're not feasible for what they're trying to achieve

like do you think they really looked at how the tools work, how the environments are made, and seeing the file size and going "yeah this is nice! gonna be able to make planets in no time flat now :)"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It was kind of funny because it almost looked like he was preparing for it and just hoping it wouldn't gently caress up and then they just sorta slipshod edited it.
Yeah, it only works from one specific angle, it seems.

http://i.imgur.com/hEpCnkh.mp4

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

man, if you ever wonder what Sandi thinks about the backers or the SC dream look at this drat gif.
loving telling man.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

My software/game dev knowledge is limited to matlab programs and little UE4 toys but even I know there is no way the tools and systems they have to make planets is workable for their scope. like it's literally impossible. You cannot have a game that is a terabyte big. I mean I don't even think a map would fit into memory

And there is no way you can handwave it away either, it's not a question of being "unoptimized", it's like trying to make a matlab script run faster by making the font size smaller. Why are citizens not screaming from the rooftops about this? The planet wasn't even fully fleshed out.... it's not procedural if the engine has to store heightmap information from hand-drawn regions... :psyduck: how are they going to populate an entire planet with points of interest and multiple little missions here and there when one little controlled demo environment is 100 gigabytes not counting every other thing in the solar system.

I'm curious to see how big the Crusader map is without any sort of planet tech they're using is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least ~3 gigabytes. Anyone still got this shithead of a game who can unpack the files and look? Peter?

guys help i thought deeply about the spacegame and now my brain is broken- the game will be required to ship on terabyte external hard drives hooked up via usb 3.0

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 19, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You're wrong but I think the Star Citizen thread is probably the wrong place to argue about poo poo people did in the 70s.

Coming from a gay guy "lol ok"

Deloria
Sep 15, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jaegerx posted:

Did we break a 40 year old guy playing a long game 18 year old Norwegian girl? Deloria come back your poo poo was funny.

Hiya! not really - I just kinda lost interest :P The discussions round here arent very good >.<

Nice you missed me though :)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It looks even better when you study it closer.

http://i.imgur.com/eCqtXZo.mp4

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

man, if you ever wonder what Sandi thinks about the backers or the SC dream look at this drat gif.
loving telling man.

I have the feeling she feels the same about CR. After all it was here marketing genius since a little girl that they have gotten all this money and dont you dare say anything bad or close your wallet nerd.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SelenicMartian posted:

esports right there.

The CIG/RSI invitational next year.

Top Prize? Jpegs.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

dont worry guys we did a vector trace for objects/surfaces with the "mantlable" tag and hooked up an animation to the playermodel it only took us 4 years but we finally got this massive achievement done, working on seeing if a texture has the "mineable" tag using a special ship weapon class but we need another fifty fuckin million dollars and twenty years and access to Deep Blue and a signed copy of the magna carta that somehow has chris roberts' signature on it to begin developing a proof of concept

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

:pwn:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

AP posted:

Also if anyone is receiving private messages e-mails from Deloria Roberts Space Industries here, my advice would be to think very carefully before replying to someone engaged in deceptions that last years.

You've had a long day so I help you out on that one.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SelenicMartian posted:

They spent all their professional lives coding for this day.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I finished Titanfall 2 SP Campaign (superb game btw!) some days ago, and Star Marine looks like a game from 2011 compared to this, and that fit's because SC development started back then.
130+ Mio Dollars for a fps module that is about 6 years technically behind is money well spent, Commandos

lmao :allears:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm looking at the gun frame by frame to figure out where it's going, but it's moving so fast the motion blur obscures it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Deloria posted:

Hiya! not really - I just kinda lost interest :P The discussions round here arent very good >.<

Nice you missed me though :)

Nice meltdown.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MedicineHut posted:

Yes, it seems to be primarily a crap way to simply refactor the way they totally do not want to give out promises on dates. None of those bars can be checked and controlled by the backers at all. Only the evocati, PTU and actual release milestones.

Exactly my kind of game developer, elusive and inventive. The goal is obvious, short term maximizing of community "trust" via total "transparency" so they can be squeezed out of as much pledging dosh as possible in the most important funding season of the year.

I suspect this schedule will probably have a slow death as backers realize, with time, that it is as useless and empty as Chris estimates. But as long as it can work its magic helping pledges during the holiday season over the next 4-6 weeks it would have served its purpose. If it needs to be scrapped after the new year, then it is all good.

To start with it seems the schedule has already busted one core element. Evocati 2.6 according to it was supposed to have started yesterday. False and misleading advertising has never seen so much abuse in all marketing history. It is really amazing they can get away with it so easily.

But like beyond that it's a "roadmap" that's exclusively for 2.6 (which according to every believer was going to be released as part of CitCon) not even the final release itself, and it's only show a single month time frame.

Deloria
Sep 15, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

Nice meltdown.

im still having it tbh.. I just took it elsewhere.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Deloria posted:

im still having it tbh.. I just took it elsewhere.

You should link it, you worked hard on it and I don't want to claim all the credit.

Deloria
Sep 15, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

You should link it, you worked hard on it and I don't want to claim all the credit.

I just reopened my blogg to be honest. I realised theres no feckin way I can win here short of running down Karl Johan in my knickers with a I hate SC flag... but at least I can define my own identity somewhere else.
And yeah it was a pretty big meltdown :)

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.
Oh, did anybody notice, that "Stanton" stands for "St. Anton" a high class ski resort in Austria? The next system could be named "Mon' Akho". It's a feature so the backers see where the money went.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Deloria posted:

I just reopened my blogg to be honest. I realised theres no feckin way I can win here short of running down Karl Johan in my knickers with a I hate SC flag... but at least I can define my own identity somewhere else.
And yeah it was a pretty big meltdown :)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, they've uploaded all of the stream videos...

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

I finished Titanfall 2 SP Campaign (superb game btw!) some days ago, and Star Marine looks like a game from 2011 compared to this, and that fit's because SC development started back then.
130+ Mio Dollars for a fps module that is about 6 years technically behind is money well spent, Commandos

lmao :allears:

Yeah. People are right this moment playing BF1, COD:IW and Titanfall 2. And this is what CIG comes strutting out with, big grins on their faces like proud new fathers.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Looking through old threads at funny/disturbing stuff again.

Deloria
Sep 15, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

Its the one I always had - It was never hidden.

http://deloriasworld.blogspot.no/

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Was that lovely "Galactic Tour" thing at the start created specifically for this livestream, or are they going to be using that in the eventual "game"?

Great use of their resources, either way. Let's make some terrible Jeremy Clarkson knock-off instead of making the game that people have paid us upwards of $130m for.

Took a look at their "roadmap" too - looks like bollocks. One bit in particular got me inquisitive though - under Network is "Serialized Variable (Stretch Goal)" - what the hell is that?

Surely they've not made it a stretch goal and a specific element of the roadmap to be able to serialize data being transmitted across the network?

--

Oh, and where's SQ42? If Star Marine is an FPS, and SQ42 is an FPS, why are they not pooling resources and using the same engine for both etc.?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

After all Chris Roberts was right. Star Marine was in the game.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7251814/#Comment_7251814

Star Citizen: not as simple a project as World of Warcraft

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
You would expect after 4 years of the same tactic shitizens would be smarter.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
There are already plenty of women here who like games, you weird, creepy little dramaking. However, your spicy crazy will be missed when this current flap dies down.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

lol

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

Yes, it seems to be primarily a crap way to simply refactor the way they totally do not want to give out promises on dates. None of those bars can be checked and controlled by the backers at all. Only the evocati, PTU and actual release milestones.

Exactly my kind of game developer, elusive and inventive. The goal is obvious, short term maximizing of community "trust" via total "transparency" so they can be squeezed out of as much pledging dosh as possible in the most important funding season of the year.

I suspect this schedule will probably have a slow death as backers realize, with time, that it is as useless and empty as Chris estimates. But as long as it can work its magic helping pledges during the holiday season over the next 4-6 weeks it would have served its purpose. If it needs to be scrapped after the new year, then it is all good.

To start with it seems the schedule has already busted one core element. Evocati 2.6 according to it was supposed to have started yesterday. False and misleading advertising has never seen so much abuse in all marketing history. It is really amazing they can get away with it so easily.

The thing that really blows my mind is that these roadmaps aren't forward looking at all. They've released a roadmap stretching back a month and a half into the past but only shows the next 3 weeks into the future.

Not to mention the fact that, unless 2.6 is on Evocati already then the "roadmap" was incorrect before they even released it.

Where did these things even come from?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

The thing that really blows my mind is that these roadmaps aren't forward looking at all. They've released a roadmap stretching back a month and a half into the past but only shows the next 3 weeks into the future.

Not to mention the fact that, unless 2.6 is on Evocati already then the "roadmap" was incorrect before they even released it.

Where did these things even come from?

Probably the intern who made it in an afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

how is the brown sea reacting to this SM footage?

are they broken enough to be excited?

• Locked thread