Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hikaki posted:

drat, I didn't know that. Mine has 2 pcie1x slots and I'm using one, and it looks like using the m2 slot disables both of them. There goes that idea!

Yeah, I found out the hard way.. Had a PCIE Wifi card in one slot, and thought I fried it because it stopped working after I had installed my SSD. The mobo was powering the card, but it was no longer being detected. I completely disassembled the entire machine and started putting parts back in one by one. Spent like 2 hours troubleshooting it. Never once did I consider that could even have been a issue. Finally it dawned on me when by chance I had removed the SSD yet again and realized the wifi card started working.

I used it as excuse to upgrade. Went to Microcenter and bought a shiny new z170 mobo and processor.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So evidently Newegg is going to have the 1TB 850 EVO up for sale for $250 on Black Friday. That'll sell out in seconds. =/

I dont know where they're stock is going to come from... They sold 975 on EBay for $270 a piece in October. I doubt they would purchase any great quantity of them for black friday deals.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SlayVus posted:

I dont know where they're stock is going to come from... They sold 975 on EBay for $270 a piece in October. I doubt they would purchase any great quantity of them for black friday deals.

I think that is the same price MicroCenter will have on Black Friday and they will include a code for Watch Dogs 2.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A couple people have mentioned it in passing but I don't think it got the attention it deserved: Samsung just announced the (NVMe) 960 Evo, 250 GB for $130 and 512 GB for $250. :asoiaf:

Interestingly enough this one seems to have a similar cutout as the Intel 600p when it hits its limit? Or maybe Anandtech triggered the read-only mode some other way but something is going on.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 17, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think that is the same price MicroCenter will have on Black Friday and they will include a code for Watch Dogs 2.

Every seller includes a code for WD2. It's being handled by Samsung, not the retailers. But it only starts at 500GB and up.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

td4guy posted:

Too bad my mSATA 840 EVO never got the update. Samsung forgot about us.

Check Magician, the mSATA 840 Evo eventually got the second update as well.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 17, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there an NVME to 2.5" adapter? I may want to prepurchase an SSD for a new laptop but use it in the old laptop.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
What would you plug it into? There are NVMe to PCIe slot adapters, but you can't send PCIe signaling over a SATA port (excepting SATA Express). There are M.2/NGFF to 2.5" adapters too but they're for SATA drives.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 17, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

Is there an NVME to 2.5" adapter? I may want to prepurchase an SSD for a new laptop but use it in the old laptop.

You have to understand, NVMe isn't just "faster SSD", it's a different protocol. There's no SATA / AHCI stuff going on with an NVMe drive.

So the short answer is no, there's no adapter, they use different interfaces that can't be adapted.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rastor posted:

You have to understand, NVMe isn't just "faster SSD", it's a different protocol. There's no SATA / AHCI stuff going on with an NVMe drive.

So the short answer is no, there's no adapter, they use different interfaces that can't be adapted.

Rats. Thank you!

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Question:

Does Hynix make decent NVMe drives? I recently bought a dell xps and it came with a PC300 SK hynix instead of the Samsung listed on the order (MOD,SSDR,512G,NVME,SMSNG,PM951)

More concerned about reliability than speed difference. Never heard about the brand either.
Thanks.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Zadda posted:

Question:

Does Hynix make decent NVMe drives? I recently bought a dell xps and it came with a PC300 SK hynix instead of the Samsung listed on the order (MOD,SSDR,512G,NVME,SMSNG,PM951)

More concerned about reliability than speed difference. Never heard about the brand either.
Thanks.

Looks like it's a decent mid-range SATA drive, not NVMe.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sk-hynix-canvas-sc300-ssd,4328.html

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are the 850 evos really going anywhere? It's not like everyone will be able to use m.2 pcie drives and I assume sata will be around for a long time. Without anything to replace the 850 seems like they should stay in production along with the 960 and 750

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'd say as far as the socket goes, SATA is too convenient to go anywhere in a hurry. Even when motherboards have 2x nvme connections as standard for boot drives I'd expect to see 4 or 6 SATA for expansion.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
SATA will stick around for a while, if only because most chipsets lack the PCI-E lanes to service multiple m.2 devices, and most people don't really benefit from the performance (yet) of NVMe arch.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You'll see what IDE saw. No new product lines, fewer and fewer ports on motherboards, eventually disappears.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Zadda posted:

I don't know anything about the reliability of the whole product, but for what it's worth SK Hynix is an actual manufacturer of flash memory, not a weird offbrand shoveling someone else's poo poo. At about 10% market share, they're either the smallest or second smallest NAND flash supplier, depending on whether you count Intel and Micron's market shares as a single joint venture.

SK Hynix has been around a long time, just not as a very consumer-visible brand. They're also a significant DRAM manufacturer, with a much bigger share of that market than they've captured in flash.

Wrar posted:

SATA will stick around for a while, if only because most chipsets lack the PCI-E lanes to service multiple m.2 devices, and most people don't really benefit from the performance (yet) of NVMe arch.

Intel already has chipsets where a bunch of the SERDES (serializer-deserializer) lanes are flexible, capable of operating in PCIe, SATA, or other modes. SATA and PCIe are similar enough electrically that you can design a single multi-mode SERDES (aka PHY) that supports both, and then it's just a matter of the internal plumbing to selectively connect those SERDES lanes to either a PCIe root complex or SATA AHCI host controller.

You don't get this flexibility on the fly; motherboard designers choose how to allocate SERDES lanes for you. What it means is that support is already there for a market demand driven transition to more PCIe lanes / fewer SATA ports.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With the most recent firmware, they're fine. If you haven't updated them, you might want to. EXT0DB6Q is the most recent.

DXT0AB0Q is what my Magician says is the most recent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

DXT0AB0Q is what my Magician says is the most recent.

You have to download a ~special tool~ to get DB6Q: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_840_evo_performance_restoration_tool.html

It takes quite a bit longer than a normal firmware update, so don't get nervous.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 18, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Anyone have any experience with the Visiontek SSD's that Dell sells? Specs look okay, but as we all know, specs are a lie anyways.
Trying to get pricing for replacing HDD's with SSD's in about 30-50 user systems, and Dell's already a setup vendor, so buying from them is easy. But, if the drives are garbage, I'll push for alternatives.
I just can't seem to find much online about them, which worries me.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

BobHoward posted:

I don't know anything about the reliability of the whole product, but for what it's worth SK Hynix is an actual manufacturer of flash memory, not a weird offbrand shoveling someone else's poo poo. At about 10% market share, they're either the smallest or second smallest NAND flash supplier, depending on whether you count Intel and Micron's market shares as a single joint venture.

SK Hynix has been around a long time, just not as a very consumer-visible brand. They're also a significant DRAM manufacturer, with a much bigger share of that market than they've captured in flash.

Ok, thanks for the info!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You have to download a ~special tool~ to get DB6Q: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_840_evo_performance_restoration_tool.html

It takes quite a bit longer than a normal firmware update, so don't get nervous.

From what I can tell, DXT0AB0Q came out two years after EXT0DB6Q - should I be downgrading?

I'm dumb.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 18, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Siochain posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Visiontek SSD's that Dell sells? Specs look okay, but as we all know, specs are a lie anyways.
Trying to get pricing for replacing HDD's with SSD's in about 30-50 user systems, and Dell's already a setup vendor, so buying from them is easy. But, if the drives are garbage, I'll push for alternatives.
I just can't seem to find much online about them, which worries me.

VisionTek has a good warranty, and have been in the SSD game since a bit before AMD started selling their own brand SSD's and RAM.

They aren't hugely known but I would gather, worth a shot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Neon Belly posted:

From what I can tell, DXT0AB0Q came out two years after EXT0DB6Q - should I be downgrading?
You have the most recent firmware for your drive, which is a Samsung 840. This is a different model drive from the Samsung 840 EVO.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 840 is no really fast and doesn't max out SATA like the EVO which handily out outperforms it several times over. But it is a reputable SSD and anything reputable is going to outperform any HDD in any real world metric outside of price per Gig.

Magician will tell you if you have the latest firmware or not and you can upgrade from there. They provide Linux boot images, but that is mostly for non-windows machines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

You have the most recent firmware for your drive, which is a Samsung 840. This is a different model drive from the Samsung 840 EVO.

Ah, my apologies - yeah, you're current with a non-EVO 840. I just take solace in the fact that if you'd tried to run the PRT it would have told you that you didn't have an EVO, and I wouldn't have been responsible for bricking your drive. :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It has probably been discussed earlier but how are the WD SATA SSDs? X400 still the better buy on the budget side? Seeing some pretty nice $/GB sales on them and wondering if I see a black friday door crasher if it'd be worth it.

Looking to get a 500GB-1TB for a games/steam drive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

It has probably been discussed earlier but how are the WD SATA SSDs? X400 still the better buy on the budget side? Seeing some pretty nice $/GB sales on them and wondering if I see a black friday door crasher if it'd be worth it.

Looking to get a 500GB-1TB for a games/steam drive.

The WD Blue and X400 each use the Marvell 88SS1074 and Sandisk 15nm NAND. The difference is that the X400 is warrantied for five years while all stripes of the WD Blue are warrantied for three. Other than that they appear to (a little more or less) be the exact same drive: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10741/the-western-digital-blue-1tb-ssd-review

EDIT: Seeing as the X400 is 5y and 512GB and the WD Blue is 3y and 500GB, it doesn't seem like a contest to me which is the better drive, especially when the X400 is currently a few bucks cheaper on Newegg.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 19, 2016

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm joining the club. Just ordered an SK Hynix and a bracket. I'll let you know what I think.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I had to resist the temptation to use a 10% Newegg code (tied to my account, or I'd have given it away) to buy one of those snazzy Plextor M8Pe drives and fill a PCIe adapter I've had uselessly sitting around for months. I relented because:

1) The $250 850 EVO on BF is a much better use of my money, provided I can snag one in the seconds before it gets sold out.
2) The 256GB version of the M8Pe is gimped with regards to I/O compared to the 512GB.
3) Can't boot from it since I'm still rocking a Z68, and it wouldn't have performed at full speed.
4) Would've only put non-Steam games on it that could slightly benefit from the faster seeks/speeds.
5) Despite being able to get it for $107 and change, I've a feeling in six months 256GB NVMe drives will be rather cheap and the Socket 2099 board I get for my six-core Sky-X in 2H17 might have 2-4 M.2 slots, and I could use a 256GB M.2 as a damned paging file/cache drive.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 20, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BIG HEADLINE posted:

5) Despite being able to get it for $107 and change, I've a feeling in six months 256GB NVMe drives will be rather cheap and the Socket 2099 board I get for my six-core Sky-X in 2H17 might have 2-4 M.2 slots, and I could use a 256GB M.2 as a damned paging file/cache drive.

In six months? The 600p is $80 for a 256GB or $130 for a 512GB now. You may not be counting it because it's slower than some other models, but it's hard to get much cheaper than that with reputable SATA drives.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is this the thread where people post the latest ssd deals or is there a hardware deal thread?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is this the thread where people post the latest ssd deals or is there a hardware deal thread?

There's a hardware deal thread but it doesn't get updated as often as it used to.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475459

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also find this page way easier to follow than a general 'deal' website, plus you can filter by preferred item on the right hand side: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

https://m.newegg.ca/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820301313

I've never heard of this manufacturer and especially with SSDS I don't want to pull the trigger unless I know they're reputable. Has really good reviews though.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bob NewSCART posted:

https://m.newegg.ca/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820301313

I've never heard of this manufacturer and especially with SSDS I don't want to pull the trigger unless I know they're reputable. Has really good reviews though.

$90 for 240gb isn't even that cheap. While given the reviews it's probably not going to die unreasonably soon it's probably going to have middling performance as a no name TLC drive and there's no reason not to get a Sandisk X400 instead.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

blowfish posted:

$90 for 240gb isn't even that cheap. While given the reviews it's probably not going to die unreasonably soon it's probably going to have middling performance as a no name TLC drive and there's no reason not to get a Sandisk X400 instead.

I was just eyeing a Samsung 850 evo that's a daily on eBay for 89.99. Those are one of the more highly recommended drives correct?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob NewSCART posted:

I was just eyeing a Samsung 850 evo that's a daily on eBay for 89.99. Those are one of the more highly recommended drives correct?

Yep, the most recommended one here.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yeah, 850 EVO is the default recommendation for home use, X400 if you want something cheaper that is still ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Why is it that the 850 EVO and X400 are the two default options? There's a trove of $60 250 GB drives out there, and some are recommended by other outlets (PNY, SK Hynix, and AMD come to mind). I understand there are some pieces that aren't as desirable (TLC, longevity, performance), but it seems that they are never recommended here.