Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I don't think anyone wrecked, there were a fair number of spins and offs though. It wasn't raining all that hard even. The mist was unbelievable and the track drainage was completely overwhelmed. Almanac says 5" of rain in 24h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone racing with Chump at Road America next weekend? We'll be there with the ugly E30 vert. Also anyone in that region looking to buy a car ours will be going up for sale after COTA in early December. It isn't pretty but it's well built and very competitive for WRL, Chump, Lemons, etc.

You're selling the red pickup E30? Ugh, don't tempt me. Though my friend's looking for a track car...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Oh look, a video of one of my sessions at Calabogie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxRmdKnt5UA

Chasing down a chump car at ~13:30, bit of a moment around 19 mins.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Our go pro got to record 4 hours of video out the back of a trailer this weekend after 12 laps.
Yeah to blown motors!

Details: 97 Beams red top. The VVTI cam trigger walked off the end of the crank and went for a little ride around the top end.
Skipped 3 teeth on timing and pushed over rounded out the pin that locks into the back of the cam phaser.
No bent valves or marred pistons that were detectable. Drill bit shank is the new pin, cut a bit longer.
Reset timing and put head back together. Put it back in and test fire motor where all appears to be good we just know we don't have VVTi.
We get 15 or so laps in on Sunday and phaser walks out of timing again. Oh well. Better luck next year with a new motor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColdPie posted:

You're selling the red pickup E30? Ugh, don't tempt me. Though my friend's looking for a track car...
Yes, will be selling it as a package ready to race ideally. Will even be coming with a fresh engine since we had a mishap this weekend...

Cross posting from the mechanical failures thread:
7 hour race Saturday, about 15 minutes from the end of the race the car lost power. Our driver pulled over and got towed in. Engine didn't want to start and when it did it sounded terrible. Pulled the valve cover then noticed one of our valves had went missing.

Other than that we had a good time at Road America despite it seemingly is a cursed track for us. All drivers got ~40-45 minutes of run time Friday then everyone got to drive Saturday other than our last driver of the day getting cut a bit short. Everyone improved lap times by a decent amount and the car performed wonderfully. I was able to shave 2 seconds of my previous fast lap in the car which was pretty great. I am bummed I didn't get to drive Sunday morning when the track was wet but poo poo happens, that's part of racing.

I also want to say that I was impressed as hell with the way this event was run. Chump car seems to have grown up a bit in our absence and despite 77 cars starting the racing was exceptionally clean and everything was very well run. As usual the Road America safety crew is one of the best, if not THE best, in the business.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Drivers meetings: Serious business

http://m.thelancasternews.com/lancasternews/db/322936/content/bdFcOGlJ

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I want to pick up a set of fresh tires in the spring for some HPDE events in my FD. What the best performance/pricepoint tire now? The last set of Star Spec Z1's were great, but that was some time ago.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Hankook RS-3s are popular and great

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

I want to pick up a set of fresh tires in the spring for some HPDE events in my FD. What the best performance/pricepoint tire now? The last set of Star Spec Z1's were great, but that was some time ago.

We've still been loving the Star Specs and I'm running them on the fun cars in the garage.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Hankook RS-3s are popular and great

I don't have the experience to usefully review them, but for what it's worth, this is what I decided on after doing research earlier this year.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you want to go fast at any expense: RE71R or Rival S.
If you want the tire to last and are willing to give up the pointy end of the stick: R-S3 V2.

I seriously think a set of R-S3s will last at least 3x as long as the Bridgestones or BFGs. I picked up another set of them the other week, 255/40R17, for $620 shipped.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone here moved from tracking motorcycles to cars and not regret it in some ways? I've ridden about 40 trackdays in the last few years but never been to the track in a car. Giving it up seems difficult and I don't really know how a car really compares.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I haven't tracked any motorcycles but have owned several and currently race a spec miata. I would think the biggest difference would be towing requirements, speed, safety equipment and maintenance costs. I've heard that the transition to driving a car on the track is pretty easy though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, the biggest thing is that it isn't you sliding into a cushion at 80 mph.

There are a few people around here that have transitioned; however, the one guy I've talked to the most was one of my instructors and he's extremely slow. He's upfront that he's just there to put in some laps and have a good time, he got all of that out of his system on bikes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I do both if that count. Started with cars and still do heavily but also do a few track days on the bike every year. They're great fun but in different ways.

Anything specific you're wondering about?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Has anyone here moved from tracking motorcycles to cars and not regret it in some ways? I've ridden about 40 trackdays in the last few years but never been to the track in a car. Giving it up seems difficult and I don't really know how a car really compares.

You can go around corners faster and it's insanely fun 😈

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anything specific you're wondering about?
I guess what I'm mostly wondering about is if cars get boring from the actual driving perspective versus riding.
It seems like I like cars more from the tinkering end of things, while I like actually riding a bike. I'm just starting to reach that crossroads where I'm thinking about my future health as I consider dipping into racing for the first time and wonder if now is the time to back out.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 20, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Biggest change for me going back to back with car and track days is different passing rules which is largely dependent on what organization you run with and what run group you're in. Either one is best with friends or other similarly paced vehicles on track.

I'd say give it a try and see how you like it. Maybe give something like Chump/Lemons/WRL a shot if you know anyone running a car that would rent a seat to you. It's hard going back to track days with point-to-pass rules and stuff after running wheel to wheel and open passing on 2 or 4 wheels.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Phone posted:

If you want to go fast at any expense: RE71R or Rival S.
If you want the tire to last and are willing to give up the pointy end of the stick: R-S3 V2.

This was my experience researching autox tires last year, ended up with the RS-3s and they're still going strong. Good tires for the price point.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Did back to back days at Laguna Seca this weekend. Very wet track the first day and a mostly dry track with a couple of rivers across turns 2 and 4 today.
I noticed that when the back steps out I tend to let the wheel spin freely through my hands while countersteering to correct, but that seems less precise than keeping a grip on the wheel. How do you guys do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc35qrONrVg

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're letting the caster sort out the oversteer versus actually managing your grip. You didn't react to the slide or seem to expect it; if the corner was different, you letting the wheelbase sort out the slide could have turned out dramatically different.

First thing is first, hold the wheel. This isn't drifting in a parking, your car's bumper isn't held on by zipties, hold onto the steering wheel. Terrible habit and you'll be in a wall sooner rather than later as you get faster.

You know what's a good way to not get caught off guard by sudden losses of grip at turn exit? Slide at entry, pitch it in yourself and control it that way.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cross post from the AI for sale thread:

We're selling our endurance race car. Current WRL and Chump log books, seats and harnesses current. Car is a 1987 BMW 325i with a 325is engine, 3 races on rebuilt engine. Fully gutted/caged, H&R suspension, poly bushings throughout, adjustable rear camber/caster, surge tank. Weighs 2470 with a full tank. Several podium finishes and one first place (rain race), car is very competitive.

Located in WI roughly 1.5 hours East of Minneapolis, asking $8k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here we go. First trackdays in a car incoming. This will decide if I'm selling off my R6.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Day one down.

Cars:
If you make a mistake you don't pay for it the way you do on a motorcycle
Power means a shitload more than on a bike
It's much less physically and mentally taxing
Ridealongs and instructors are a nice luxury
Where the gently caress is tech inspection?
Why is there such a relatively small emphasis on safety?

Bikes:
More track time
More rewarding
Easier to pass when at a power disadvantage
Cheaper until you factor in crash costs

I'm not completely sold, but this is more for a lifestyle change. Let's see how tomorrow goes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BlackMK4 posted:

Why is there such a relatively small emphasis on safety?

Last time I pointed out something I thought was an issue at a nasa az event and then had three people gang up on me and say it was fine and that I'm wrong..

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Last time I pointed out something I thought was an issue at a nasa az event and then had three people gang up on me and say it was fine and that I'm wrong..

Reasons I'm no longer an SCCA safety steward #1-12.
One day someone's gonna own SFRSCCA after a lawsuit.

I know people think that lawsuits over autosports crashes are bullshit, but the poo poo they do they don't fix is kind of dumb.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 15, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
In that same vein.... holy poo poo, the lack of runoff and lack of fucks given about it is astounding.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master
Yea, a lot of this is extremely variable depending on which club/chapter you run with.

I know some of the Porsche clubs near me in the NE almost demand any advanced/solo drivers for DE's need fully prepped race cars with current log books and non-expired seats/harnesses.

..........and then some bmw/audi clubs just want to make sure your lug nuts are tight and you aren't actively dropping fluids during tech, otherwise you're good to go! run what you brung!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Self tech is a little sketchy but that's how must of them were that I ever went to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ran the same track as yesterday but clockwise instead of CCW, and brought MY GIRLFRIEND to ride along.

Swapping directions changed everything for me in the way that I needed, it seemed to be much quicker and more allowed more of the rhythm/momentum that I prefer in a track (probably why Chuckwalla is my favorite). Car worked much better than I could have possibly hoped and the motorcycle skills seem to have transferred right over. I'm pretty set on selling off my track-only R6 now.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 15, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Cheaper until you factor in crash costs

This is exactly why I stopped doing trackdays in my M3 and started building a caged racecar.

I got off lucky - jumped a small ditch and sideswiped a berm, only cosmetic damage. I've seen more than a few cars leave the track on a flat deck that are 100% totaled.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Ran the same track as yesterday but clockwise instead of CCW, and brought MY GIRLFRIEND to ride along.

Swapping directions changed everything for me in the way that I needed, it seemed to be much quicker and more allowed more of the rhythm/momentum that I prefer in a track (probably why Chuckwalla is my favorite). Car worked much better than I could have possibly hoped and the motorcycle skills seem to have transferred right over. I'm pretty set on selling off my track-only R6 now.

:Welcome to the club :hfive: If it's in the budget I'd recommend holding onto the track bike for a while. I like running cars but and occasional bike day is a nice way to change things up.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 16, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

This is exactly why I stopped doing trackdays in my M3 and started building a caged racecar.

I got off lucky - jumped a small ditch and sideswiped a berm, only cosmetic damage. I've seen more than a few cars leave the track on a flat deck that are 100% totaled.

The getting hurt part is why I'm switching :v:

NitroSpazzz posted:

:Welcome to the club :hfive: If it's in the budget I'd recommend holding onto the track bike for a while. I like running cars but and occasional bike day is a nice way to change things up.

Ah, I've still got my Tuono street bike... which, to be frank, I've enjoyed tracking more than the R6.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Found this on the commute home one day. Oh the things people do to their brand new GT4s, or any car really, to run at Laguna Seca.

It's a lovely screen capture off my dash cam but you're looking at twin pipes popped out toward the driver's side, almost vertical, with a deflector at the tips to keep exhaust off the bumper. They were just welded straight to the stock exhaust outlets.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Here's one I took when I did a track day at Laguna Seca. Whatever keeps the neighbors happy I guess

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is that so the pipes point away from the db meter?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah.

One of my pals has just put a inconel exhaust on his 991 GT3 and is figuring out how to attach silencers. Must be absolutely heart breaking drilling into a $10k exhaust haha.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Google search "GT3 Cup Laguna Seca Exhaust" for giggles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The angling isn't also to point it toward the center of the left-turning track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah, basically to point it in the opposite direction of the db meter.