Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

An ugly back end and 140hp.

If you want an ugly slow car buy a civic, i don't see why you would put up with BMW problems to drive a 10 second 0-60 hatchback.

doriftu in the rain? anything is better than driving a civic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Like the window not rolling up or the sunroof rattling over every bump or the GDCS.

I mean, if you're getting a boring slow appliance, why would you get one that hates you?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My brothers 318ti had cooling system problems, interior falling apart problems, window regulators, HVAC fan, and general M44 issues. It's been good for him though, 10+ years of ownership.

3.0 / 3.5

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:fap:

Lightbulb Out posted:

My brothers 318ti had cooling system problems, interior falling apart problems, window regulators, HVAC fan, and general M44 issues. It's been good for him though, 10+ years of ownership.
We went through a lot of window regulators and holy crap changing a starter in that engine bay is an exercise in frustration. Interior is usual E36 stuff...squeaks/rattles and panels falling off and/or apart.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My e46 M3 search is still on going but I found a Laguna Seca Blue with 75k miles on it and I'm sorely tempted to get. Sucks that it's just outside my budget, but I'm almost willing to go over cause man do I love LSB.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Popete posted:

My e46 M3 search is still on going but I found a Laguna Seca Blue with 75k miles on it and I'm sorely tempted to get. Sucks that it's just outside my budget, but I'm almost willing to go over cause man do I love LSB.

LSB E46 M3 == perfection.

If it's a 6-speedmanual manual.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I doubt this will go for under $8k but I'm going to bid on it.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-318-2/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HandlingByJebus posted:

LSB E46 M3 == perfection.

If it's a 6-speedmanual manual.

Hey guess what? The guy finally sent me pictures and forgot to mention it's a SMG! Well how about that? Oh but he wants 23k for it...

And so the search continues.

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 12, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Popete posted:

Hey guess what? The guy finally sent me pictures and forgot to mention it's a SMG! Well how about that? Oh but he wants 23k for it...

And so the search continues.

Motherfucker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I doubt this will go for under $8k but I'm going to bid on it.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-318-2/

makes me wonder how much my little 318iS is worth, even if it's a 7/10 and track prepped.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

makes me wonder how much my little 318iS is worth, even if it's a 7/10 and track prepped.

If it comes to that you're going to PM me :v:

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master
So, I bought a thing. Has one of those things inside of it called an s54, with a bunch of bolt ons that cost more than the s54 itself, is that good?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

crazzy posted:

So, I bought a thing. Has one of those things inside of it called an s54, with a bunch of bolt ons that cost more than the s54 itself, is that good?

Very nice. That looks like a blast. Engine pics?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

crazzy posted:

Mama Mia what do we have here

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Horry loving poo poo. More pics.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That definitely looks like a fun toy.

For sale listing here, with another (nearly identical) picture and a parts list:
http://www.racingjunk.com/NASA-GTS-Challenge/182739194/BMW-RACE-CAR-FOR-SALE-GTS4-E36-S54.html

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

HandlingByJebus posted:

Very nice. That looks like a blast. Engine pics?

Not a great shot, from the PO. With the VAC CF race intake box, EPIC long tube headers, and EPIC race tune, makes ~327 whp, and weighs ~2710 lbs with a full tank of gas.

Has JRZ's, an AP BBK from a former CMOD bmwcca car, carbon doors, hood, and basically every other part you can possibly throw at an e36. Should be pretty competitive at the top of the pack in NASA GTS4, not very competitive in BMWCCA CMOD, those cars have $40-50k S54's, put down something like 440 whp, and weight 2-300 lbs less than this car.

Lots of little things can be done at great expense ($4-5k per thing) that might shave off another 0.2 seconds per lap, at the top level of club racing, the budgets are just insane for what amounts to a sticker or $5 trophy for first place :(

wolrah posted:

That definitely looks like a fun toy.

For sale listing here, with another (nearly identical) picture and a parts list:
http://www.racingjunk.com/NASA-GTS-Challenge/182739194/BMW-RACE-CAR-FOR-SALE-GTS4-E36-S54.html

Hah, creeper. But to be fair, there aren't all that many e36/s54's for sale at any given time, so not hard to find who bought what. Most of these cars are not as advertised.......

I looked at a bunch of cars before I wound up going with this one, first one I saw that was actually as advertised, the others made me fear for my life in a crash.....

crazzy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 13, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

crazzy posted:

Not a great shot, from the PO. With the VAC CF race intake box, EPIC long tube headers, and EPIC race tune, makes ~327 whp, and weighs ~2710 lbs with a full tank of gas.

Has JRZ's, an AP BBK from a former CMOD bmwcca car, carbon doors, hood, and basically every other part you can possibly throw at an e36. Should be pretty competitive at the top of the pack in NASA GTS4, not very competitive in BMWCCA CMOD, those cars have $40-50k S54's, put down something like 440 whp, and weight 2-300 lbs less than this car.

Lots of little things can be done at great expense ($4-5k per thing) that might shave off another 0.2 seconds per lap, at the top level of club racing, the budgets are just insane for what amounts to a sticker or $5 trophy for first place :(

Lord jesus. And to be fair, that's what all club racing is like, unless you're racing stock spec. :(

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Nice snag! Looking forward to on-track video. :D

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

crazzy posted:

:perfect: Dad and I thought about picking this up for fun. S54 E36 is way too much fun

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I just recently purchased a 1992 735iL. The radio head unit is displaying CODE, and I can't access the radio because the previous owner does not have the code. How would I go about obtaining this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do you have the owners manual? If not the dealership might be able to help you if it is the original radio unit

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
It is the original radio unit, but no sadly I do not have the owner's manual.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pm nodoze and see if he can hook you up with any info, I believe he works at a dealership.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Hot drat. New job owns because it starts at 11pm and it's 95% unclogged interstate. Clocked 29.1mpg tonight.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I took my car in to my beloved indy mechanic for some routine scheduled maintenance that's on complex poo poo like DCTs and LSDs and gently caress it might as well do the required brake fluid flush while it's up here

and let's just say: Money isn't that important to have, is it? I mean,

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I've been sitting on a rebuilt m42 head for a year now, I have not had time to do the job, other things and life get in the way.

How should I be storing it? I've had it in the house. Should I have oil in it or anything like that? Valves and springs are installed.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 19, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

How should I be storing it?

In your bed. You take the couch.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dyscrasia posted:

I've been sitting on a rebuilt m42 head for a year now, I have not had time to do the job, other things and life get in the way.

How should I be storing it? I've had it in the house. Should I have oil in it or anything like that? Valves and springs are installed.

Very carefully.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

geeves posted:

In your bed. You take the couch.

Done, I'll let the wife know.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
BraveUlysses: Please stop reading here.

I saw a 325ix in town and inquired about it since they don't come up around here that often.

Pros: two owners, seller is neighbor of original. Miles of maintenance records. Mechanically seems to have been taken care of. Interior is 8.5/10 compared to most E30s I've seen. Owner is a straight shooter.

Cons: AC doesn't work. Are the 91s still R12? Little bit of rust at the bottom rear corner. Doesn't seem to be anything further than that. I didn't take out the battery but the whole trunk etc looked clean. Seller mentioned that rear window gasket leaked a bit so he replaced it and he thinks some water got in the floor pan. I forgot to ask about this further. There was no evidence of water damage anywhere in the interior, though. The light behind the speedo was out, the recline spring in the driver seat didn't work and there was a half-inch crack in the dash. Other misc exterior stuff like missing center caps, mirror got knocked off one side (he's including color matched spare), tiny dent in front right fender that I think PDR could take care of.

165k miles, the last 70k of which were 99% freeway, if it matters any. What do you guys think this is worth?

He gave me the keys to come pick up the car and have a PPI done whenever I want while he's at work.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I want a 2015 F80 m3 with a manual transmission but they are impossible to find private party in california, every dealer wants $60k for the things. Why do they think i would buy that when a NEW one costs $60k invoice? Is the resale value crazy good for some reason?

Everytime i buy a new car i say never again.. then i end up in the same exact spot because i want something that is almost impossible to buy used private party

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Depends on the options I guess. Mine ran to a little over 80k new so 60k used isn't bad depending.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A new one with no options and the cheapest everything you can get runs you 65K then you have to factor in all the fees that come with a new car versus a year old car with options that costs 60k.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

BraveUlysses: Please stop reading here.

I saw a 325ix in town and inquired about it since they don't come up around here that often.

Pros: two owners, seller is neighbor of original. Miles of maintenance records. Mechanically seems to have been taken care of. Interior is 8.5/10 compared to most E30s I've seen. Owner is a straight shooter.

Cons: AC doesn't work. Are the 91s still R12? Little bit of rust at the bottom rear corner. Doesn't seem to be anything further than that. I didn't take out the battery but the whole trunk etc looked clean. Seller mentioned that rear window gasket leaked a bit so he replaced it and he thinks some water got in the floor pan. I forgot to ask about this further. There was no evidence of water damage anywhere in the interior, though. The light behind the speedo was out, the recline spring in the driver seat didn't work and there was a half-inch crack in the dash. Other misc exterior stuff like missing center caps, mirror got knocked off one side (he's including color matched spare), tiny dent in front right fender that I think PDR could take care of.

165k miles, the last 70k of which were 99% freeway, if it matters any. What do you guys think this is worth?

He gave me the keys to come pick up the car and have a PPI done whenever I want while he's at work.

Lol

How much is he asking?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If a BMW is pre-2000 than you just assume the AC doesn't work. I've owned two e30s and an e36 none of which had working AC for longer than a few months.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Popete posted:

If a BMW is pre-2000 than you just assume the AC doesn't work. I've owned two e30s and an e36 none of which had working AC for longer than a few months.

3/3 of my e30s had working ac til i broke motor and transmission mounts autocrossing one of them and let all the refrigerant out by accident :v:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Lol

How much is he asking?

He told me 6. I think I'd consider it at 5. I just want to own an E30 a while for the experience and then probably sell it on.

Here's the ad: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5874969195.html

Here are the photos I took: http://imgur.com/a/qk1DD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wouldn't buy an ix for the e30 experience...