Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Playing through Blood & Wine's La Cage Au Fou and finding the note that mentions the vagrant that cursed her sold mirrors is heartbreaking. She's hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Playing through Blood & Wine's La Cage Au Fou and finding the note that mentions the vagrant that cursed her sold mirrors is heartbreaking. She's hosed.

I mean... you (may have) already saved one person from Gaunter O'Dimm's machinations, right?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think the books also mention him breaking a spoon? Which is also symbolism he's tied to.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It just takes an emotionless mutant with a blanket immunity to poisons to bruteforce his way through that curse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finally got Blood and Wine, and Witcher 3 won't load. It goes to compile scripts and files, then spits out dozens of errors. I launched it straight from GoG Galaxy. without NMM, and it still gives me the errors, but different.

Trying to see if a reinstall of Witcher 3 will fix whatever the problem is.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

twistedmentat posted:

Finally got Blood and Wine, and Witcher 3 won't load. It goes to compile scripts and files, then spits out dozens of errors. I launched it straight from GoG Galaxy. without NMM, and it still gives me the errors, but different.

Trying to see if a reinstall of Witcher 3 will fix whatever the problem is.

Do you have any mods installed? That's what I get when mods conflict or don't work with the version right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you have mods installed they'll still be applied even without launching through NMM.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You probably just need to update the mods for the latest patch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, reinstalling worked. I grabbed the most recent versions of both the main mods I was using; 9000 carry weight and indestructible equipment, and neither works, but the game at least runs.

You know, one of the things I love about Witcher is how it doesn't go out of its way to create crazy, fantastical army designs or anything like that, it uses real world types and that makes the game much more grounded. Yea there's crazy monsters and stuff, but at least humans look like they're from history.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, reinstalling worked. I grabbed the most recent versions of both the main mods I was using; 9000 carry weight and indestructible equipment, and neither works, but the game at least runs.

You know, one of the things I love about Witcher is how it doesn't go out of its way to create crazy, fantastical army designs or anything like that, it uses real world types and that makes the game much more grounded. Yea there's crazy monsters and stuff, but at least humans look like they're from history.

Try the 90000 carry weight mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1950/

Indestructible still works for me.

Also wow B&W really is a full length expansion pack. There are full games with less content.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

poor life choice posted:

I mean... you (may have) already saved one person from Gaunter O'Dimm's machinations, right?

Of course I did :colbert:

I'm now wondering if the base game has any further mentions of Master of Mirrors, beyond, obviously, the opening bit in White Orchard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not really any other mentions, but do go back to his intro in white orchard and see how o'dimm is framed sitting in the sunlight in the background between Geralt and vesimir while the bar keep tells them to ask around.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

I'm now wondering if the base game has any further mentions of Master of Mirrors, beyond, obviously, the opening bit in White Orchard.

In B&W, talk to your majordomo after saving the wight. I don't recall if the quest line told you to or not, but you get a cool sequence where Geralt recounts what happened while O'Dimm's theme slowly swells in the background.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

poor life choice posted:

In B&W, talk to your majordomo after saving the wight. I don't recall if the quest line told you to or not, but you get a cool sequence where Geralt recounts what happened while O'Dimm's theme slowly swells in the background.

Yeah, if I recall correctly it launches into that automatically once you bring her back to the vineyard.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
All done. B&W is finished, got the good ending, Geralt finally gets to put up his sword and chill with Yen. GG, A++, would play again when I have 130 hours to sink into a playthrough.

I think I missed a few sidequests (ones that you can get locked out on), and screw all those Skellige caches in the ocean. Don't need it to afford anything you'd want.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Am I the only one who bothered get all the water caches?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

twistedmentat posted:

Am I the only one who bothered get all the water caches?

No.

:negative:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I cheated and used the indestructible boat mod. I cannot imagine what it's like without.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

twistedmentat posted:

I cheated and used the indestructible boat mod. I cannot imagine what it's like without.

I only had to change boats a couple of times, in general the crossbow will take out most attackers without issue before they can do too much damage.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

If there was a flying mod that made Geralt go fast and not have to find a boat, I'd give it a try.

Also, I've finished the game, done all the main quests/side quests except for a select few, why are there still eight secret achievements? Usually those are locked behind story missions so you can't get spoiled by looking at the achievements, but I've finished the game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

monster on a stick posted:

If there was a flying mod that made Geralt go fast and not have to find a boat, I'd give it a try.

Also, I've finished the game, done all the main quests/side quests except for a select few, why are there still eight secret achievements? Usually those are locked behind story missions so you can't get spoiled by looking at the achievements, but I've finished the game.

There are some branching paths in the main storylines. You are awarded an achievement for each of them.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Comte de Saint-Germain, don't suppose you know who was responsible for having certain NPCs quote a line from a Magnetic Fields song in B&W? Perhaps yourself? It was certainly unexpected.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

More like a speed boat. Thing is so slow and Skellige is huuuuuuge.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So I just learned a magic acorn and a golden egg you can get in the game give you ability points if eaten. Had no idea.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Comte de Saint-Germain, don't suppose you know who was responsible for having certain NPCs quote a line from a Magnetic Fields song in B&W? Perhaps yourself? It was certainly unexpected.

My guess would be Travis Currit, one of our english localizers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm doing a second playthrough for the hell of it, and I just noticed that Geralt commented on what kind of wine the Baron drinks - Erveluce, from Toussaint. Something else that I never would have picked up on, given how early in the main game that is.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I discovered last night if you have the mod that lets you explore outside the map you can actually walk to the fablesphere. Also jesus loving christ there's a lot of map you can walk on out there.
There's an area in the top right of the Toussaint map across a river with large stone monoliths lining the opposite bank that looks like it might have been part of a cut quest, as the area behind it seems pretty detailed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What do you mean by "fablesphere"? Just leaving the fairy world? Because that's easily done without any mods.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Still laughing at how such a lovely decision as "Devourers" are in the game..

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ugh I just found another key and map on a skeleton on one of the skellige isles, but when I found and opened the chest I only got some leather, normal trousers, and saltpeter... These are randomized, right? Otherwise the devs put in a troll-ish treasure quest (Ruins, Hidden Treasure, You Know...)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

I AM BRAWW posted:

Still laughing at how such a lovely decision as "Devourers" are in the game..

What's particularly bad about devourers?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Joda posted:

Drowners mixed with rotfiends can be annoying.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Joda posted:

A level 13 Devourer explosion instantly killing my level 24 Geralt, somehow.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Are there "unique" items such as Hemfart's Painting I received that can fly under the radar but end up having "kind-of-a-use" like giving it to Dandelion?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Only proper use of that portrait is hanging it in your bedroom at the vineyard :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I AM BRAWW posted:

A level 13 Devourer explosion instantly killing my level 24 Geralt, somehow.

Don't stand next to the exploding monster then.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, instead of wailing away at the enemy until it dies you need to wail away at the enemy until it's just about to die, and then roll the gently caress outta there like a boss before it explodes.

WHen you git gudder at it you can have its explosion take out the other enemies trying to kill you.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Joda posted:

Only proper use of that portrait is hanging it in your bedroom at the vineyard :colbert:

Then I'd have to move the painting of naked Geralt on a horse and THAT WON'T DO.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I am marveling at how many swords in boxes there are in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

Then I'd have to move the painting of naked Geralt on a horse and THAT WON'T DO.

Except that one belongs in the hall right by the front door, to greet anyone who comes to visit.