Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC, to connect the Zoop to a PC you need to buy the $50+ cable to do it. Kind of a ripoff, as those things go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Are suunto still kinda conservative with their deco? For that reason alone I like them. Recreational diving isn't about pushing limits it's about seeing cool poo poo so I appreciate the added safety factor. I haven't researched computers in years though.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

My wife and I have recently started a PADI open water course and we're going to Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs) for certification in two weeks (we're in New York).

We have a trip scheduled for later this year that will (assuming we pass) involve some diving and I would like to buy a dive computer. Not looking for anything very expensive since I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the experience enough to keep diving but if I do, it could at some point become a backup.

Beyond basics, which I think most devices have (depth, ascent/descent speed, multi dive tracking/time calculation, safety stop alarm, etc.) I'm looking for just one thing - ability to download dive information to a computer. It would also be nice to have GPS tracking (e.g. by communicating with a transmitter on a boat) but that's secondary. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

If you're still unsure about diving, and the shop rents computers, that would probably be a better bet. Otherwise, I'm just going to whore out the Oceanic GEO 2 again because it's what I use and I love it. Connection cable is $80-$100 depending on where you get it, which sucks, but a used computer can be had for $150-$200.

I've never heard of a computer having GPS, but if you use Subsurface they have a companion phone app that you can have auto-log GPS coords while you leave it on the boat, then sync with the software on your computer to get GPS coords for dives.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

Are suunto still kinda conservative with their deco? For that reason alone I like them. Recreational diving isn't about pushing limits it's about seeing cool poo poo so I appreciate the added safety factor. I haven't researched computers in years though.

Very conservative another reason we started with the Zoop. Yes you pay for the cable, but the new design has four buttons and a back light.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Most dive computers now have some sort of computer connection ability and the differences between computers for most new divers are going to be pretty minor. All of them do some sort of Nitrox now as well. The only consideration if you're seriously thinking you might be going on to more advanced diving is if the computer can be put into a gauge mode, which allows it to be used as a depth-timer/ back up if you're doing more technical diving. As a totally fresh diver though this really isn't much of a consideration. Go to a shop and try a couple of different models, see how you like the menu system.

Things to look for (personally) 1) How clear is the dive time display 2) How clear is the current depth display? If you can easily tell that information on the screen then you'll probably be ok whatever. Next point is how easy it is to find the dive log/dive plan parts and the gas settings. Mostly other settings are stuff you'll play around with at first and maybe every now and again but those two are things you'll be looking at fairly frequently.

A thing I'd think about but I really don't think should be much of an issue for you, is what happens when the computer goes into deco? My old Aladin would add a stop time counter onto the screen. I've not got a Geo 2.0 and it actually replaces the dive time display with a total ascent time and requires menu switching to show the dive time. This is actually a pain in the rear end sometimes if you're trying to stick to a max dive time as you need to switch between screen displays to see how long you've been down and then how long to the surface. Not a worry for now as new divers shouldn't be doing deco generally.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Reposting what I posted earlier about a dive computer question, with some addendum:

Here's the problem with most suggestions you get for dive gear: People naturally tend to grow into their equipment or just simply grow fond of it because people invest emotionally in high price purchases of all kinds, so the answer to "What do you recommend?" is most often the answer to "What do you use yourself?"

People diving for a living, and actually have the chance to use a ton of different gear, and use it a lot, end up either not caring at all about gear (since really, anything works), or having opinions about gear that most people simply can't/don't follow.**

Best bet: rent or borrow something and see what you do not like about it. There's always something to not like about gear. If that thing does not bother you, and the price is right, then have at it.

The simplified triangle of value is often said "Well-made, useful, cheap. Pick two." And it really is a useful way to look at things, especially dive gear.

** In this case, the only thing that matters about a computer is whether it is is easy to put on, and leave on. This is why console mounted computers, or AI computers are good, even though there are reasons they are also bad. Most people who ruin or lose their computers do so because they do not prioritize this when choosing their computer, and the computer gets put someplace weird in between dives, and gets lost, or gets left on the boat half the time, or dropped in the ocean, or left in the camera bucket, or gets a tank dropped on it. If I had kept the (literally) hundreds of computers I have had to drop off at the hotel later, I would never have to buy another computer til the end of time.

This is why most people who dive for a living end up with watch style dive computers. Because they learned this the hard way.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Anybody know anything about diving Belize? I'm planing a fairly spontaneous trip and would like to do a day of diving while I'm there. Anyone in particular I should charter for a day of diving Blue Hole/other notable sites around there. I'm fairly out of practice and would be traveling solo so nothing too crazy advanced.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tree Dude posted:

Anybody know anything about diving Belize? I'm planing a fairly spontaneous trip and would like to do a day of diving while I'm there. Anyone in particular I should charter for a day of diving Blue Hole/other notable sites around there. I'm fairly out of practice and would be traveling solo so nothing too crazy advanced.

Belize is fantastic but the blue hole is a real commitment. We left Ambergris at like 5 AM and got back at dusk. It's a three dive trip, but totally worth it. However, if you are at all concerned about being out of practice, the first dive is the blue hole and it's a cattle call with 8 minutes at 135'-however deep you drop to see the stalactites.

Do a night dive at Hol Chan if you want a chill dive with good stuff (we saw a baby octopus on that) or almost any dive off Ambergris if you're just looking for an easy dive day.

E: it's a couple hour boat ride to the blue hole from ambergris and like 40 minutes by helicopter. Make sure you're up to date with DAN if you plan on doing this as your first dive in however long.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Sounds like Blue Hole is maybe not a great dive anyway? Just doing some surface level research but it seems like the novelty of it is the whole appeal.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The blue hole is a cool dive, but for a very specific reason, as far as seeing sea life goes, the two dives on the way back from the blue hole are great. But then again, so is Hol Chan. It's your choice, of course, but I'm not sure I'd recommend you book a blue hole trip based on what you said you were looking for.

E: I'm not saying you should not do the blue hole if you want to. We loved it. I'm saying I didn't get the blue hole vibe from your other post - I got the feeling you decided you had to do the blue hole since you were in Belize without knowing exactly what it entails.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm thinking about getting a drysuit in the near future. I'm certified in them and I've used them a few times and one of the most painful things are the wrist seals. If I got dry gloves, do they just connect to the suit directly, eliminating the wrist seals? I feel like the suit would be a lot easier to don if the gloves were permanently attached or if I could snap them on.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Raere posted:

I'm thinking about getting a drysuit in the near future. I'm certified in them and I've used them a few times and one of the most painful things are the wrist seals. If I got dry gloves, do they just connect to the suit directly, eliminating the wrist seals? I feel like the suit would be a lot easier to don if the gloves were permanently attached or if I could snap them on.

There are some dry gloves that keep the seals intact...and some that don't. They also tend to leak easily, so i prefer a seal and the glove.

lord1234 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 17, 2016

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Raere posted:

KUBI rings are fantastic. They use your existing dry suit cuff setup and use a very simple design (multiple o-rings). I have these and really like them. Not cheap, but I'm a dozen dives in with no problems.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
A couple experienced divers just died in Florida in the Eagle's Nest spring.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/18/two-divers-found-dead-after-exploring-treacherous-underwater-cave-system.html

quote:

Blakely told authorities that all three divers entered the water at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Blakely, the most inexperienced diver, was to remain closer to the surface while Peacock and Rittenmeyer explored the caves of Eagle's Nest, which they had done several times before.

The plan was for the two to check in with Blakely at a predetermined location at around 3 p.m., authorities said. When the two failed to surface, Blakely notified law enforcement.

Rescue divers entered the waters Sunday night searching for the two men but were unable to locate them. The following morning, another group of divers found Peacock and Rittenmeyer "in close proximity to one another in 260 feet of water," according to a press release from the Hernando County Sheriff's Office.

It's kind of hard to imagine two experienced divers BOTH dying, since the buddy system is designed to provide redundant equipment and air. I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened. Maybe they got lost... which would be stupid, if they were following proper cave diving procedures.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GORDON posted:

A couple experienced divers just died in Florida in the Eagle's Nest spring.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/18/two-divers-found-dead-after-exploring-treacherous-underwater-cave-system.html

It's kind of hard to imagine two experienced divers BOTH dying, since the buddy system is designed to provide redundant equipment and air. I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened. Maybe they got lost... which would be stupid, if they were following proper cave diving procedures.

Caves are cool, scary, and deadly. I would assume there will be more released on the accident in the future.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

GORDON posted:

I have nothing against the idea of buddy systems and I think they are entirely appropriate in recreational contexts, but in no real sense should technical diving be undertaken with the idea that your buddy is your backup for anything. If a diver thinks they need a buddy, technical diving is maybe not for them. That's kind of the whole point of the various systems of redundancy.

Technical diving should approached as extreme solo diving, in any context outside of training, even when undertaken in teams. And it is kinda recognized as such by several agencies including PADI in the way they reason through some stuff.

This is, of course, ignoring the team approach espoused by GUE and UTD. Of course, if the team has only two members you are back to the same problems.

There is plenty of adventure in recreational depths and not in overhead environments.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 20, 2016

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
And ex navy diver once told me when he was trained multiple diving casualties or deaths were almost always one failure and then someone trying to rescue someone.

It's in our nature to try and save a buddy so that's sad.

SithKitty
Jun 9, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone stayed / dove with Anthony's Key in Roatan?

We are going back to Florida and Bonaire first but I like to plan ahead..

I did two dives with Anthony's In July. Nice boats and the sites were all < 10 min from their dock. Downside is there were 8-10 divers per DM so it was a total cattle call. This was with a cruise ship group though so ymmv.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

GORDON posted:

IIRC, to connect the Zoop to a PC you need to buy the $50+ cable to do it. Kind of a ripoff, as those things go.

Not sure if it's still the case, but the zoop+cable was the same price as the next model up (vyper i think?) which included a cable.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Time for more California diving evangelism!

These are from some of the oil rigs off of San Pedro:

A falling star

A female sheepshead, and some beautiful invertebrate life

Oil rigs are big.

Grass rockfish and Corynactis

More Corynactis and cool structure

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 2, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You guys like freediving, right?
Get ready to see a 63 year-old guy freedive to great depth with nothing but a pair of goggles and two pieces of lead.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/great-human-odyssey.html

The whole show is really good, but the part I'm talking about starts at about 27 minutes in.

When he is walking on the bottom, skipping from coral to coral, it looks absolutely super-human.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

More Corynactis and cool structure

Love this one.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What does this thread think of emergency GPS/radio devices?

http://www.nautiluslifeline.com/nautilus-lifeline-gps

Is there one anyone would recommend?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have one of these. Seems to work pretty well. Captures GPS signals fairly quickly. Newish firmware made a big difference to the usability of the interface. Never had to use it in an emergency though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

How common are those? Do any agencies recommend them? I feel like it's a small chance to use it but when you need it you really need it.

Has anyone done a liveaboard from Cairns or Port Douglas? Recommendations?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

How common are those? Do any agencies recommend them? I feel like it's a small chance to use it but when you need it you really need it.

I occasionally see people carry them on dive boats in northern California, but it's unusual (smbs are quite common, in contrast).

I've heard they're sometimes required by dive boats in very remote places like the Galapagos.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

We had an experienced diver drown this summer in New England, and "currents" were one of the things blamed for the accident. Also, I watched one of those survival shows about a fisherman from New Zealand who was diving for lobster when he got washed out to sea, and no one saw him go. Poor guy floated in his disgusting wetsuit for three days before he was rescued, and nearly died from dehydration. gently caress that.

So yeah, that's why I started looking at emergency GPS/radio devices.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

A friend and I did a three day liveaboard on [Reef Encounter. I liked them, good diving at a relatively cheap price point. The downside is that they don't go very far out from Cairns and the the reef is very obviously bleached in places. You still get to see a lot of cool stuff, but I've been told that the diving gets increasingly better the further north you get. We booked last minute so options were limited, but it seemed that to go farther north was way more expensive on a per day basis and most of the options were for a longer time period than we had available.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Do most people from in from the states to Sydney and then hop a flight to the north?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TLG James posted:

Do most people from in from the states to Sydney and then hop a flight to the north?

Cairns has a reasonably sized airport so I think there are more options. I flew in from Sydney and then flew out to Auckland. I would expect in general that people coming from the US are also not visiting just Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

asur posted:

Cairns has a reasonably sized airport so I think there are more options. I flew in from Sydney and then flew out to Auckland. I would expect in general that people coming from the US are also not visiting just Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef.

Yeah CNS is an international airport as we are flying in direct from Auckland, although there don't seem to be a lot of flights internationally.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
edit: I'm misremembering things from years ago, never mind.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Red_Fred posted:

I did my AOW with CDC on a 3-day live-aboard on the GBR. It was a long time ago so I don't have any useful tips, but it all went well enough. Their website gives you details on what they offer and where they go.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

Red_Fred posted:

I did a week with Mike Ball, very professional and slick but you definitely paid for it. They went up north to Lizard Island and then out to the Coral Sea. Dive sites varied in quality, but the Coral Sea ones were generally the best. Cod Hole, which was their big marketed site was probably the weakest as it had been decimated by cyclones over the last 10 years. They're probably the best (and Spirit of Freedom from what I've heard) in terms of dive sites and comfort, but they're very very pricey. Not sure about more affordable options. I'd definitely go back if given the chance but other places are higher up my list now (Komodo/Palau/Raja Ampat/??? So many I'd like to go to). That said, this was all mid last year, so before the latest round of bleeching.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Do a Komodo > Raja Almost live aboard. I'm told one season the group saw a pod of Orcas.

Lucky bitches.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of Orcas, seen this clip yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5f1YXWeVU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sticko posted:

I did a week with Mike Ball, very professional and slick but you definitely paid for it. They went up north to Lizard Island and then out to the Coral Sea. Dive sites varied in quality, but the Coral Sea ones were generally the best. Cod Hole, which was their big marketed site was probably the weakest as it had been decimated by cyclones over the last 10 years. They're probably the best (and Spirit of Freedom from what I've heard) in terms of dive sites and comfort, but they're very very pricey. Not sure about more affordable options. I'd definitely go back if given the chance but other places are higher up my list now (Komodo/Palau/Raja Ampat/??? So many I'd like to go to). That said, this was all mid last year, so before the latest round of bleeching.

Spirit of Freedom is all booked when we go and Mike Ball doesn't look like we can do it unless we go over New Years which I'm not that keen about. Might just need to do a 1 night one or something.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008

Sticko posted:

Sounds like Red_Fred can't do it, but in case it's of use to anyone else, I did a 5-day trip on the Spirit of Freedom in July 2014 to Osprey Reef and the Coral Sea. It was really, really good. Among other things, we has two dives in a row with four very curious Minke whales at the widely-regarded Steve's Bommie site. Best live aboard I've done aside from the Galapagos Sky.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Oakland Martini posted:

Sounds like Red_Fred can't do it, but in case it's of use to anyone else, I did a 5-day trip on the Spirit of Freedom in July 2014 to Osprey Reef and the Coral Sea. It was really, really good. Among other things, we has two dives in a row with four very curious Minke whales at the widely-regarded Steve's Bommie site. Best live aboard I've done aside from the Galapagos Sky.

:negative: think I'll be restricted to day trips or we might be able to do a 1 nighter.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008

Red_Fred posted:

:negative: think I'll be restricted to day trips or we might be able to do a 1 nighter.

I'm sure you'll have fun regardless! Be sure to check out the huge swarm of giant fruit bats at dusk on the main drag in Cairns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Anybody dive with a prescription mask? I'd like as much information on how to go about getting one as possible and general pros/cons vs diving with a normal mask if there are any. My vision is pretty hosed up and it would be nice to be able to see things down there clearly for a change. I've never worn contacts and probably never will. All the websites I can find that seem to do this seem pretty janky. The only information I've found that seems pretty straightforward is that split masks are best for it. If I already have a mask I like is it easier to have it altered or will I usually be buying a new mask for this purpose? Any masks better than others? Anybody who does this that you would recommend?

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 24, 2016