Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
vader knew how to get poo poo done

he could have made the empire great again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

According to the NuCanon, the Imperial Office of Criminal Investigation authorises the Bounty Hunter's Guild to issue Imperial Peace-Keeping certificates, one of which was stolen from Bossk by Ezra in a young adult novel

Granted I lift this stuff from wookiepedia

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 12, 2016

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Covok posted:

So, what I'm getting from all this is that Bobba Fett's costume looked so cool that Legends made an entire culture of badasses who all wore the armor and were badasses together. And that is okay when you're 13, but, when you get older, you realize its kind of Mary Sue and gets boring and now we're glad that, while still a warrior culture, they're not "so awesomez, so OP."

Am I following legends vs nucannon mandlorian chat properly?

Mandalorians as a concept peaked early in Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina, which has a short story about Boba Fett taking on an entire Imperial Garrison, complete with loads of Stormtroopers, a few AT-AT's, AT-ST's, big ol' walls and security measures, etc. He pulls off all kinds of crazy trickery, and even then he's barely able to beat the garrison. It's basically Fett as Batman and I don't think it suffered from a Mary Sue situation myself, but that's generally a subjective thing unless it's really in your face Traviss style. Something cool to check out, if you want, it's way early in the EU so there's no big continuity or late-game EU problems.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
ive been reading that tarkin book and its solid but i think i should re-read scoundrels

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Tarkin and scoundrels both get a thumbs up by me, I actually stumbled on Scoundrels at my library and was like oh wow, new Zahn? Set between New Hope and Empire and it's Ocean's Eleven with Han and Lando? Let's go.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Mandalorians as a concept peaked early in Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina, which has a short story about Boba Fett taking on an entire Imperial Garrison, complete with loads of Stormtroopers, a few AT-AT's, AT-ST's, big ol' walls and security measures, etc. He pulls off all kinds of crazy trickery, and even then he's barely able to beat the garrison. It's basically Fett as Batman and I don't think it suffered from a Mary Sue situation myself, but that's generally a subjective thing unless it's really in your face Traviss style. Something cool to check out, if you want, it's way early in the EU so there's no big continuity or late-game EU problems.

Pretty sure that's Tales of the Bounty Hunters. It sticks out as being the only cool story in the collection. Tales from the Cantina was a lot of really weird stuff as I remember it. The Greedo story is super cyberpunk. Then the bartender makes Greedo into cider? The only thing I remember being kinda good from the Cantina collection is the one with Pig Nose and Walrus Face guy.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

NowonSA posted:

Tarkin and scoundrels both get a thumbs up by me, I actually stumbled on Scoundrels at my library and was like oh wow, new Zahn? Set between New Hope and Empire and it's Ocean's Eleven with Han and Lando? Let's go.

yeah i remember it being refreshing that it was a star wars story that could have taken place in any other setting and worked fine too

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Pretty sure that's Tales of the Bounty Hunters. It sticks out as being the only cool story in the collection. Tales from the Cantina was a lot of really weird stuff as I remember it. The Greedo story is super cyberpunk. Then the bartender makes Greedo into cider? The only thing I remember being kinda good from the Cantina collection is the one with Pig Nose and Walrus Face guy.

uhm pardon me thats dr. evazan and ponda baba

which also apparently have cameos in rogue one ffs.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

EVIL NOONER posted:

uhm pardon me thats dr. evazan and ponda baba

which also apparently have cameos in rogue one ffs.

I honestly tried to think of the names. Then I realized, like actually fully realized, that was 20 years ago and now I'm old.

Hadn't heard of cameos for them. Wonder if we'll see what happened to the dudes face? I never really thought of them needing a backstory. To me they were basically just what Han and Chewie would be like if they were Chaotic Evil.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

I honestly tried to think of the names. Then I realized, like actually fully realized, that was 20 years ago and now I'm old.

Hadn't heard of cameos for them. Wonder if we'll see what happened to the dudes face? I never really thought of them needing a backstory. To me they were basically just what Han and Chewie would be like if they were Chaotic Evil.

every single thing you see in chalmun's cantina has a back story.

every. single. thing.

including the droid detector.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

EVIL NOONER posted:

every single thing you see in chalmun's cantina has a back story.

every. single. thing.

including the droid detector.

A Drink Too Many: The Story of Luke's BeerBlue Milk Mug.

Edited for accuracy.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I remember a really weird comic that I think ran in Star Wars Insider where this guy agreed to take care of a lighthouse for the Imperials, and at night these beautiful women show up but they're actually horrible monsters that turn dudes to stone. Anyway the guy survives somehow and ends up telling his friend the wolfman about it back at the cantina.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah dammit you're right it's Tales of the Bounty Hunters, been forever since I read it. The Fett one is obviously the coolest there, of course, but I remember liking the others just fine too.

EVIL NOONER posted:

yeah i remember it being refreshing that it was a star wars story that could have taken place in any other setting and worked fine too

Yep, it basically applied the method used in many Marvel movies of include superheroes (or Star Wars stuff in the case of Scoundrels) but make it have lots of elements from X genre. Spy movies in Winter Soldier, the same heist genre in Ant Man, etc.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

NowonSA posted:

Ah dammit you're right it's Tales of the Bounty Hunters, been forever since I read it. The Fett one is obviously the coolest there, of course, but I remember liking the others just fine too.

I have all these books still, i actually have probably every eu book written up until like 2009, plus a few random ones.

I might check out some bounty hunter tales, since they're short.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I remember a short story about a force-sensitive Sabacc player with a fancy modded ship and an Obi-Wan style force voice in his head that was cool in Tales from the New Republic, might need to dig around the book box and re-read that as well.

Oh, and looking it up the Fett story I was thinking of is totally in Tales from the New Republic too, it's not the one from Bounty Hunters.

Despite the book's name, the stories are set all over the timeline, it's not all set after the New Republic's been properly formed after Coruscant's captured by the Rebellion.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
What's with these back-to-back 2 week gaps

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Weird Disney scheduling. After the new episode next week will be a multi-week break. :(

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Week off for Halloween and then another weekend off for Remembrance day. I think there is a solid run of episodes from now until the end of December for a Christmas/new year break and I think that last episode airs the week Rogue One comes out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Anybody else hear a bit of a Raiders of the Lost Ark homage in the music for this week's episode?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Admiral Konstantine got dangerously close to pissing off Thrawn I think with that blatant lie.

[edit] Its amazing the number of people bitching about Thrawn letting the heroes go again. Thrawn doesn't care about the Ghost except for how it can lead him to crushing the entire rebellion in one swoop. If he had blasted the Ghost and Sato in this episode all he'd do is cause the Rebellion a modest setback and lose his best lead to seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 20, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chopper "repairing" that hyperdrive unit by banging on it with a hammer made me laugh a lot.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Admiral Konstantine got dangerously close to pissing off Thrawn I think with that blatant lie.

[edit] Its amazing the number of people bitching about Thrawn letting the heroes go again. Thrawn doesn't care about the Ghost except for how it can lead him to crushing the entire rebellion in one swoop. If he had blasted the Ghost and Sato in this episode all he'd do is cause the Rebellion a modest setback and lose his best lead to seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I think it was in one of the Rebels Recon videos, but Filoni or one of the top writers said that Thrawn pokes and prods and considers learning a new piece of information about his enemy to be a victory, no matter what else happened. This episode was a pretty clear example of him doing just that.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

I think it was in one of the Rebels Recon videos, but Filoni or one of the top writers said that Thrawn pokes and prods and considers learning a new piece of information about his enemy to be a victory, no matter what else happened. This episode was a pretty clear example of him doing just that.

Not to mention he's testing his own assets. Wouldn't be surprised if Konstantine punched a ticket to becoming an expendable part of Thrawn's inevitable master plan.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The new Dash Rendar is alright too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They've improved the detail on the Light Cruiser model, it looked really good in the side on shots, I think they might've even done the same for the Gozanti too.

And Ghost still makes the raddest hyper space exit sound. Chills when Thrawn's ISD drops out of hyperspace on top of them, love the way they do it rather tha just making it appear.

Also the Liberator shredding that Gozantil, and then speeding past the Cruiser and slamming its rear arc with broadsides, the supposed tactical advantage vs disadvantage the Rebels have over the Imperials but they never quite manage to show, until now at least

howe_sam posted:

Chopper "repairing" that hyperdrive unit by banging on it with a hammer made me laugh a lot.

In my head Chopper's droid speak uses the word "motherfucker" at least once every sentence. Also that headbutt right at the last second, classic chopper.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 20, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beyond the terrible droid-centric episode, this season has been really good. It finally picked up speed and even, dare I say it, killed stuff off on-screen properly.

Even if it was via things like a pigman being launched into a canyon by a laser.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

In my head Chopper's droid speak uses the word "motherfucker" at least once every sentence. Also that headbutt right at the last second, classic chopper.

Voiced by Samuel L Jackson.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Episode was alright, the kid was annoying as hell. Worth it for that shot of the light cruiser emerging from the smoke though, god drat that was cool.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Is it just me or has the animation been really slow and sluggish this season? It's especially egregious in space battles, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's that fighters are too slow, maybe it's that blaster fire is too slow, or maybe both. Was it always like this and I just didn't realize until now?

Also, the Ghost's blasters make the most disappointing sound.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I think the kid was intentionally as annoying as possible to show how much growth Ezra's been through. I guess?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think the kid was intentionally as annoying as possible to show how much growth Ezra's been through. I guess?

I sure loving hope so. Kids in Star Wars are the absolute worst every single time but because of the era this is taking place in they have to have them to prep for Episode 4.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I assumed that was the case with Zeb's line "a ship full of Ezras", and that it was Ezra trying to talk them around rather than Hera.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Woebin posted:

Is it just me or has the animation been really slow and sluggish this season? It's especially egregious in space battles, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's that fighters are too slow, maybe it's that blaster fire is too slow, or maybe both. Was it always like this and I just didn't realize until now?

Yep, it's always been like this. I think it's a deliberate decision to make it feel like Episode 4, just like the skinny lightsabers. If you go back and watch the movie, the ships move at the same speed as in Rebels. It's a little jarring at first, but I've come to appreciate the change of pace.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

DancinBrud posted:

Yep, it's always been like this. I think it's a deliberate decision to make it feel like Episode 4, just like the skinny lightsabers. If you go back and watch the movie, the ships move at the same speed as in Rebels. It's a little jarring at first, but I've come to appreciate the change of pace.
Huh, you're right, but it doesn't feel as slow in the movie. Maybe it's because the camera work is better, or maybe it's the superior sound design (actually I think that's mostly it), but it's never bugged me in ANH.

Also, tying back to my comment about the Ghost's blasters, both the X-Wings and Tie Fighters in ANH sound great.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

DancinBrud posted:

I never noticed this, but I wonder if this is why I can stomach Rebels and I can't stand Clone Wars. I really tried to watch a bunch of Clone Wars episodes and while there were some interesting characters, I just couldn't get into the show as a whole. I can sit through a marathon of Rebels, though. Maybe it's because it's more in line character-wise with the trilogy I grew up with, what with having the Empire around and stuff.

BTW, is Hondo from Clone Wars? I love him because I just imagine him as Don Karnage.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MichiganCubbie posted:

BTW, is Hondo from Clone Wars? I love him because I just imagine him as Don Karnage.

Yes,he is. He's great. :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Woebin posted:

Maybe it's because the camera work is better

I've found that the Rebels spaceship camera work shits all over whatever they thought they were doing in TFA, and is certainly the best in any Star Wars since they went CG.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya that last episode was garbage and actually made me consider how I'm outside the intended age group they're trying to appeal to with Rebels.

I might as well be watching the Freemaker Adventures.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I've found that the Rebels spaceship camera work shits all over whatever they thought they were doing in TFA, and is certainly the best in any Star Wars since they went CG.
I meant that the camera work in ANH is better than Rebels, but sure, maybe Rebels is better than TFA in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I never noticed this, but I wonder if this is why I can stomach Rebels and I can't stand Clone Wars. I really tried to watch a bunch of Clone Wars episodes and while there were some interesting characters, I just couldn't get into the show as a whole.

I'd recommend giving it a second chance

The link is a little spoilery, but if you've watched Rebels the spoiler is moot.

• Locked thread