Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really wish I could do DWSS this year. The year I did it was really rewarding despite my santee being permabanned and my never knowing if he got his present. Things are just a little too tight this year, but hopefully, if we haven't all been obliterated in the year 2017, I can participate for those who are still around for the end of the Moffat era/beginning of the Chibnall years.

A very happy Christmas to all those participating. Wish I were there. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, can't afford to take part this year. Same with TFSS. Major bummer. Everyone get everyone else really cool gifts so I can experience it vicariously!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, can't afford to take part this year. Same with TFSS.

Next year, DoctorWhat, society is not going to collapse entirely, and we're both going participate. You'll be celebrating your more-than-a-year anniversary with your lady-friend, I'll have that new job I'm applying for that will involve more pay and a longer commute with more Big Finish time, and I'll get you as my Santee and I'll buy you a swell coat that says "Doylist" in Gallifreyan on it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Oh yeah, DWSS that was a thing

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I had to skip out this year as well, which is a bit of a bummer. I enjoyed it a lot last year.

Fingers crossed for 2017.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I too forgot to sign up and money's a bit too tight this year for international postage anyway, so I'm probably going to have to skip on Secret Santa as well. Someone's going to have to get the Pip'n'Jane novelizations instead of me, sorry!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I saw recently came up when some people were talking about the American election, and somebody brought up the episode where the Master blasts the president to atoms "but they call him president-elect because Moffat is an idiot".

I wonder when Moffat will start getting the blame for Six throttling Peri or the racist stuff in "Talons". :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I saw recently came up when some people were talking about the American election, and somebody brought up the episode where the Master blasts the president to atoms "but they call him president-elect because Moffat is an idiot".

I wonder when Moffat will start getting the blame for Six throttling Peri or the racist stuff in "Talons". :v:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I woke up Wednesday after the election to texts from both my parents asking if I wanted to come to Canada with them.

I expect that from 20-somethings and whatnot, but these are 60 year old retirees (and millionaire ex-business owners). I don't think they're actually joking.

But hey, with Brexit I'm guessing a vacation to the UK will be cheap pretty soon, assuming our dollar value over here (USA) doesn't crash as I expect it might in the UK. I should do some research, with the Doctor Who Experience closing soon I could even make it over in time to visit before it shuts down. Worth the trip? Not just for that, obviously...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Who thread meet

In the north east because I'm not travelling, sorry

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

a day out in an old quarry seems an appropriate rendezvous

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Just watched Fantastic Beasts and there's a shot we did verbatim in an S10 episode. Entirely coincidence, but, lol.

God what I wouldn't give to have a) Stuart Craig's budget b) Stuart Craig's pay

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cerv posted:

Or the pub. Because Tom may show up.

If he's not there already.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

echoplex posted:

Just watched Fantastic Beasts and there's a shot we did verbatim in an S10 episode. Entirely coincidence, but, lol.

I noticed some bits of that movie reminded me of Doctor Who.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Cerv posted:

And we'd be able to knock out several filming locations in one go. Sounds like a win to me.

But seriously, there are enough UK goons here a threadmeet wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Are you guys all located randomly about or is there a general area where most of the active posters are regional to?

Not that it would matter for me, as I'll be doing the touristy trip around (likely England, Wales (I know, I know), Scotland, Ireland) but a night where a few of us could meet up and cause trouble (ok, nerd version of trouble - AKA an episode marathon - though I can imagine choosing which ones might get a bit heated) would be fun.

edit: also with the amount of $$ this thread drops on Big Finish, I bet we could talk them into letting us have a tour. I mean, I imagine they're pretty niche with the fanbase, but we HAVE to at least make a dent in their bottom line, right?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I'm on the [currently very soggy] south coast of England [listening to the Peter Cook documentary from downstairs whilst Angus comes rolling in]. London is about an hour or so train ride away.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

McGann posted:

ok, nerd version of trouble - AKA an episode marathon - though I can imagine choosing which ones might get a bit heated

Give me Arc of Infinity or give me death

Ms Boods posted:

I'm on the [currently very soggy] south coast of England [listening to the Peter Cook documentary from downstairs whilst Angus comes rolling in]. London is about an hour or so train ride away.

Your posts in the students thread are always amazing so it would be worth a trip down to London just to hear them hot off the presses tbh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seriously though the North East is lovely and frankly the amount of money you save on a drink or two would cover the train tickets

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I noticed some bits of that movie reminded me of Doctor Who.

You mean the english guy with a sort of odd face and hair, peculiar dress and he had a box that was bigger on the inside than the outside?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cerv posted:

I'll bring the discarded burger wrappers

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Boy do Classic Who and commercial TV just not mix at all. LONG-rear end ad breaks and no end titles at all because they had to jump right to Dirk Gently.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Boy do Classic Who and commercial TV just not mix at all. LONG-rear end ad breaks and no end titles at all because they had to jump right to Dirk Gently.

There's something really awkward about the way they do the cuts every time, too. The timing feels really weird.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Or the pub. Because Tom may show up.

If he's not there already.

In the end you guys can't all get together in one place so you go to several different pubs in different parts of the country instead.

Tom is sitting at the bar in each of them.

echoplex posted:

There are parts of the Harry Potter films I like and a lot of parts I don't, but the set design was always top loving notch. That guy certainly knows his poo poo.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 20, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Maxwell Lord posted:

UK Gold managed for years. just have to accept that your schedule isn't going to fit into a rigid 30 minute / 1 hour pattern

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Your posts in the students thread are always amazing so it would be worth a trip down to London just to hear them hot off the presses tbh

Heh -- when I'm in London, I'm totally in 'off' mode -- it's where I go for a few days to wander and recharge and not think about my students. :)

Maxwell Lord posted:

That was me as a kid in the US -- I lived where a couple of PBS stations converged and were rivals when it came to which episodes of Doctor Who they could get hold of first (WWHY and WNJS for any old timer Mid-Atlantic folks who remember NJS), and I was excited to see that DW was also on WOR out of New York on our new fancy-schmacy cable box thing (you know, the kind with the 30 foot long 'remote control' cord and every channel had its own button -- pressing two at once got you some weird stuff).

Couldn't handle it -- WOR was an indie station that showed loads of old films, but I couldn't do Doctor Who with adverts, even back in the late '70s. I cannot imagine watching it on BBC America. The Horror Channel over here was running a couple of episodes every night for a while, but nope nope nope, also advert-beladen.

Pledge drives were bad enough...:argh: gently caress you NJS for showing all 10 episodes of "The War Games" mixed in with 20 minute+ long pledge drive breaks :argh: (are the Prydonians of Princeton still going?)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

Heh -- when I'm in London, I'm totally in 'off' mode -- it's where I go for a few days to wander and recharge and not think about my students. :)

This does not seem unreasonable, your stuff about Doctor Who history then :)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This does not seem unreasonable, your stuff about Doctor Who history then :)

You never know what might happen if all the stars align. :)

Meanwhile, in the run up to Christmas and thinking about festive stories, has anyone read Tom Baker's The Boy Who Kicked Pigs? I found it in a charity shop a few years back for about 50p. It starts out with dark dark whimsy and then gets :stare: then :stonk: then :stonklol: along the way.

You can't read it and not imagine Tom chuckling with glee at his own imagery.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The only Tom Baker book I've read is his autobiography

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

echoplex posted:

Is that movie good, btw?

McGann
May 19, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only Tom Baker book I've read is his autobiography

On the topic of non-Who (well, ish) Baker things, I recently picked up Bafflegab's Baker's End (because I adore the Scarifyers, plus, the premise is so meta it hurts). I've only been able to listen to part of the first episode but it's...uhhh...interesting. Premise is that Tom Baker plays Tom Baker, who is dead, and his funeral is in a town called HAPPENSTANCE. The main character is Katy Manning Suzy Goshawk, fellow actress who worked with Tom.

It's a very odd story so far, having only gotten partly through the first episode I was curious if anyone else was in this ride with me? I think I'll have a go at finishing Ep 1 today (there's been too much Big Finish I wanted to listen to/relisten to lately, getting to the point where I'm in TV Who Withdrawals, even with Power going on). That reminds me, wtf Bafflegab, give me more Scarifyers and NOT in comic form, I want more angry David Warner (RIP Courtney) and bookish Terry Molloy in my ears.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ms Boods posted:

That was me as a kid in the US -- I lived where a couple of PBS stations converged and were rivals when it came to which episodes of Doctor Who they could get hold of first (WWHY and WNJS for any old timer Mid-Atlantic folks who remember NJS), and I was excited to see that DW was also on WOR out of New York on our new fancy-schmacy cable box thing (you know, the kind with the 30 foot long 'remote control' cord and every channel had its own button -- pressing two at once got you some weird stuff).

Couldn't handle it -- WOR was an indie station that showed loads of old films, but I couldn't do Doctor Who with adverts, even back in the late '70s. I cannot imagine watching it on BBC America. The Horror Channel over here was running a couple of episodes every night for a while, but nope nope nope, also advert-beladen.

Pledge drives were bad enough...:argh: gently caress you NJS for showing all 10 episodes of "The War Games" mixed in with 20 minute+ long pledge drive breaks :argh: (are the Prydonians of Princeton still going?)

This is my preferred method for watching old Who, though finding those edits is probably next to impossible nowadays. They'd cut all the rehashes of the last episode cliffhangers so it was one long 90 minute or so story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The cliffhanger rehashes aren't usually that bad, it's only when the episode was running really short (Garth Merenghi style) like the third episode of The Sea Devils

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the cliffhanger rehashes, especially when the high drama that's at stake proves hilariously impotent one second later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I like the cliffhanger rehashes, especially when the high drama that's at stake proves hilariously impotent one second later.

Which actually carries over to the revival, sometimes in extremely great ways:

The Doctor and Rose are surrounded by infected gasmask-people whose touch will turn them as well, all closing in while moaning,"Are you my Mommy?"
Doctor: You've been very naughty, go to your room! :mad: .....I can't believe that worked! :haw:

And sometimes in extremely terrible ways:

The Doctor, Martha and Jack are trapped at the end of time, the Master has regenerated and stolen the TARDIS, and the cannibalistic Future-Kind are about to break through the door with the broken lock
Doctor: Welp I fixed Jack's vortex manipulator and we came back to the early 21st Century :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So, a few questions.

1) Has Power of the Daleks been released yet?
2) Has it been in theatres in the states yet?
3) If not, why not?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yes it has

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

So, a few questions.

1) Has Power of the Daleks been released yet?
2) Has it been in theatres in the states yet?
3) If not, why not?

1. Yes
2. It was shown in Theaters in the US on Monday the 14th
3. More importantly, why isn't it available for me in the US to buy on DVD yet? I understand BBCA running it an episode weekly basis, and I found Amazon is selling it on an episodic basis (I'm guessing released every week as it shows on BBCA) but no release date/info on a DVD yet for Region 1? I found it available as Region 2 on Amazon UK, but damnit I'm a Yankee

edit: Nevermind, found it's going to be a Barnes and Noble exclusive for Region 1 but not until January 24. Wtf, BBC America? You're missing out on an awesome stocking stuffer. At least they're releasing the BW/Color version together (though I see no reference to the colorization version on the B&N site)

edit:

Barnes and Noble posted:

AUDIO COMMENTARIES ON ALL SIX EPISODES: Members of the original cast and crew are joined by members of the new animation unit to discuss the production of the story and its new animated reconstruction. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.

If Frazier Hines is in, I'm excited. I don't mind Toby Hadoke's Big Finish interviews series, either, so should be decent

McGann fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 21, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Frazier Hines wasn't in Power of the Daleks (he debuted in the very next story) sadly, though he was in Evil of the Daleks so they should definitely do an animated release of that!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Frazier Hines wasn't in Power of the Daleks (he debuted in the very next story) sadly, though he was in Evil of the Daleks so they should definitely do an animated release of that!
Ah, yeah, I dunno why my brain wasn't working on that one. Hell, nothing would make me happier than an animated Evil or The Highlanders.

Edit: to be fair, they should have Frazier do commentary for every episode, Classic and New. I'd listen to it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
A handful of Big Finish Dalek stories can be had for $5.99 each by going here and entering the code servant

• The Juggernauts
  • Plague Of The Daleks
  • The Curse Of Davros
  • Energy Of The Daleks
  • We Are The Daleks

Also, some Australian broadcast news: ABC will be putting The Return of Doctor Mysterio and Power of the Daleks(!) up on iView after the former finishes airing in the UK (which should probably be something like 8am Boxing Day down here?) and then the Christmas special will play on both ABC and their kids' channel at 7:30 that evening.

Kinda glad I skipped out on the cinema event now. Much rather be able to watch it at my leisure in two or three sittings on iView.

• Locked thread