Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rise of Iron owns because Destiny is a cool game with cool laser gun fights and RoI adds more lasers.

Also, it's the only expansion that really deals with pre-collapse (or immediately post-collapse) humanity in any respect at all, which is awesome since there's clearly a ton of story there that the player otherwise never gets to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

food court bailiff posted:

Rise of Iron owns because Destiny is a cool game with cool laser gun fights and RoI adds more lasers.

Also, it's the only expansion that really deals with pre-collapse (or immediately post-collapse) humanity in any respect at all, which is awesome since there's clearly a ton of story there that the player otherwise never gets to see.

Really? Because having the plot revolve around hey guys turns out there's this biotechnological weapon that had not been mentioned until now but we all knew existed and is super bad seems half assed
At least it didn't deal with the goddamn hive again

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

I wish they'd go full Bungie and hire a bunch of halfway decent authors to pump out some Destiny novels I would eat that poo poo up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calaveron posted:

Really? Because having the plot revolve around hey guys turns out there's this biotechnological weapon that had not been mentioned until now but we all knew existed and is super bad seems half assed

There's probably like a hundred of those though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

There's probably like a hundred of those though.

I didn't play the expansion's but that sounds like standard expansion/sequel stuff. It's a pretty regular thing for tech to just poof into existence as the series goes on. Hell between Gears 1 and 2 the characters learned how to chainsaw bayonet duel instead of just get murdered.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Warhammer total war there is an artillery piece called the goblin doom diver. It is a goblin slingshot that fires winged goblins as live ammunition. You can individually aim the goblins Luke guided missiles.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Arcsquad12 posted:

Luke guided missiles.

"Use the WAAAAAAAAAGH!, Luke"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arcsquad12 posted:

In Warhammer total war there is an artillery piece called the goblin doom diver. It is a goblin slingshot that fires winged goblins as live ammunition. You can individually aim the goblins Luke guided missiles.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, they created an entire third version of the level AND a massively changed version of the previous area all for a single optional thing that is easy to overlook. It's nuts and super cool.

Fourth* You can knock him out too

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Nov 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Fourth* You can knock him out too

That's what they were referring to.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
E: w/r/t the big Dishonored 2 spoiler from last page

I look forward to clicking that in a few days. Still only on the Royal Conservatory.

I don't think I remember chloroform bottles in the first Dishonored, but they're mighty nice at times to knock out a closely packed group of enemies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Calaveron posted:

It partially deals with the hive because the fallen are trying to make SIVA Hive. :shepface: Meanwhile the vex are just shoved off in some corner because no one cares about them anymore.

Len posted:

I didn't play the expansion's but that sounds like standard expansion/sequel stuff. It's a pretty regular thing for tech to just poof into existence as the series goes on. Hell between Gears 1 and 2 the characters learned how to chainsaw bayonet duel instead of just get murdered.

It's not just tech. Like, it's a giant world endangering super weapon that's apparently been locked up in russia this whole time and was the cause of some lore figures deaths. Based on how they explain it in the expansion, it's been pretty impactful and important. But somehow everyone just conveniently forgot all about it until some random alien rear end in a top hat decided to break into a vault so secure even the biggest baddest asses died forever trying to get in and stop it the first time.

The expansion would have been a lot cooler if they went the route of the player having to fight Rasputin like the iron lords did instead of reskinned fallen.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

You could make the argument that it wasn't common knowledge because Saladin was trying to keep it under wraps. He never told the guardian cause there was other poo poo they could be doing besides posting them in front of a door.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Nobody knew because Saladin kept it secret and everyone else who fought against it was dead (or Efrideet), and this was hundreds of years before the start of the game.

The game is pretty clear about this. Whether it's great writing or not doesn't change that there is an explanation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Overwatch has new modes that range from 3 vs 3 and 1 vs 1.

It's in a smaller arena map and it drastically changes how you play. What I noticed most was the sound.
If you stop and pay attention, you can pretty easily recognize the enemy team composition and react appropriately. Blizzard is known for polish but most studios skimp on the sound design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Overwatch also has a built-in thing where enemy-made sounds (footsteps, vocalizations, picking up health kits etc) are louder than your teammates' which is cool.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

CJacobs posted:

Overwatch also has a built-in thing where enemy-made sounds (footsteps, vocalizations, picking up health kits etc) are louder than your teammates' which is cool.

yeah but it makes me super paranoid in the 1v1 mirror matches where I stop every few steps trying to figure out if I'm hearing someone else behind me or just my own steps like in a horror movie

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mazerunner posted:

yeah but it makes me super paranoid in the 1v1 mirror matches where I stop every few steps trying to figure out if I'm hearing someone else behind me or just my own steps like in a horror movie

My very first 1v1 was Sombra (a new character that goes invisible and can set a recall point to teleport).
We danced around each other in an extremely tense battle of wits.

Overwatch is a good game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mazerunner posted:

That's why you crouch walk everywhere. Sneaky beaky like.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Morpheus posted:

I really like the descriptions for the pokemon mirages in World of Final Fantasy - they're all written with very lighthearted humour, filled with references and fourth-wall breaking that I find really endearing for a genre that is usually all about grimdark world-saving and such. Some of the references are...well, not obscure, but they're certainly more than just "Ho ho remember [game]?"

Take this one, for the Minotaur, for example. Can't find an exact description of it, but it's something like "Don't try stopping this guy's charge on his third hop, because it ain't going to work! (Maybe he's not bald enough?)"

Which, after scrounging my memory banks, made me realize it's a reference to Bald Bull, from Punchout - the way to counter his Bull's Charge is to punch him on his third hop towards you. It's stuff like that that is really endearing me to this game's goofy style.

Looks like Koji-Fox is starting to influence other SE localising teams, because that's a reference I'd expect him to sneak into a game. FF14 is full of similar references.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

Possibly the most debilitating part of getting hacked by Sombra is that she muffles your audio and turns off all directionality until it ends

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

graybook posted:

E: w/r/t the big Dishonored 2 spoiler from last page

I look forward to clicking that in a few days. Still only on the Royal Conservatory.

I don't think I remember chloroform bottles in the first Dishonored, but they're mighty nice at times to knock out a closely packed group of enemies.

The only chloroform I need is a stun mine jammed onto a bottle of Old Pattie's Cider

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CJacobs posted:

That's what they were referring to.

I thought they were talking about if you kill him Either way, it's an awesome touch.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The only chloroform I need is a stun mine jammed onto a bottle of Old Pattie's Cider

Save the cider, just use an empty glass.
Now I want to see what happens if I try to pull that, but I manage to toss the glass at an unawares enemy's head first. Does it KO them with the glass, then activate the mine on other enemies?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hey friends! If you play games on XBox, Microsoft is having a pretty big Black Friday sale starting 11/22.

https://majornelson.com/2016/11/18/black-friday-xbox-digital-game-deals-and-more/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Watch Dogs 2 there are a lot of clothing options and you can make Marcus wear a fedora but the game makes fun of you if you want to by giving the fedoras names like the "M'lady" the "Nice Hat, Guy" or "Not All Hats."

Also nice is how it is an open world game that gives you an actual modern phone so you can do stuff like listen to music on it whenever you want, either through playlists or streaming radio.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this! posted:

Also nice is how it is an open world game that gives you an actual modern phone so you can do stuff like listen to music on it whenever you want, either through playlists or streaming radio.

This was the best thing abut Saints Row 4 and I've missed it in every open world game I've played since that didn't have it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another "modern" thing is that when you bring up the camera app it is automatically set to selfie.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Mazerunner posted:

its the worst with zenyatta because you can't hear that floating bastard coming :argh:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Dishonoured 2 - apparently the little boost in height from jumping on a chest high wall is enough to trigger a drop takedown. So on the very first map I had young Empress Emily gracefully slip a few inches upwards, then grab a grown man, throw him to the ground and make him kiss the pavement.
Another guard saw me do it so I picked the first guard up and lobbed him at his fellow, which stunned him long enough to choke him out too.

(The inclusion of Melee choke, meaning discovery doesn't ruin a non lethal run, is also highly appreciated).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Been putting a lot more time into Skyrim lately, and its dickhead dialogue from NPCs never fails to crack me up. There's a specific NPC called Neloth who I'm going to write a full post about later, but the current highlight is your vampire buddies in a place called castle Volikhar.

Basically, the gimmick of the Dawnguard DLC is that you can become a "Vampire Lord" who is basically a souped up, very powerful Nosferatu looking motherfucker. Quite naturally when you turn into that form regular NPCs will freak out, soldiers will try to burn you, etc etc, but if you try to impress your vampiric allies in the castle they'll all be mildly irritated that you're trying to show off and refuse to enable that behaviour by letting you trade, etc, with them.

"Yes yes, very impressive. You don't need to do that in here. :jerkbag:"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lunar Suite posted:

(The inclusion of Melee choke, meaning discovery doesn't ruin a non lethal run, is also highly appreciated).

They also added a perk that gives a few moments of slow motion on discovery like MGSV, that's saved my bacon a few times.

Really missing that fast choke talisman from 1, though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

haveblue posted:

They also added a perk that gives a few moments of slow motion on discovery like MGSV, that's saved my bacon a few times.

Really missing that fast choke talisman from 1, though.

Same, but with bonecharm crafting, you can actually make it so that it's slower to crouch walk than to crouch walk with a corpse. This is goofy. I embrace it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

graybook posted:

Same, but with bonecharm crafting, you can actually make it so that it's slower to crouch walk than to crouch walk with a corpse. This is goofy. I embrace it.

In Fallout New Vegas with all DLC content you could stack a bunch of perks on top of Silent Running and crouch-run your way across the Mojave at vaguely comical speeds, to the point that you'd leave any companions you took with you several minutes behind.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

graybook posted:

Meaning you always have a corpse with you to throw at people?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Pokemon sun and moon's got some great quality of life things.

If you catch a new pokemon when your party's full it gives you the choice of keeping it and swapping another to the box, you can also get a prompt to pull items off the boxed one

a button that lets you see any buffs/debuffs/status effect on your and opponents pokemon

there poke-petting minigame thing from X/Y is back but this time it lets you cure status effects after a battle, also you can hit a button at the end of the battle and go right to that screen

once you've battled a pokemon once, it'll say the effectiveness of your moves for the future. I mean once you know what type a pokemon is anyone whose played a bit should know the type table off by heart but it helps for those weird type-interactions that don't make much sense, and well there's almost a thousand of the suckers so,

There's a dedicated button for pokeballs (instead of going into the inventory) when battling wild pokemon although that might have been in previous games, I can't remember. If it was then that's a little things for them I guess.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Planet Coaster is awesome and I have a feeling that as I play more, I'll be filling this thread, but to start:

- Coaster development is simultaneously more complicated in what you can do, but doesn't become harder. If anything, it becomes easier. Let's say you made a turn that is too fast or rough for guests. In the earlier RCT days, this meant demolishing that section, redesigning it, and trying to get the new endpoint for that segment to align with what you've already built. Thanks to the way you can design coasters in PC, you can select that curve and adjust that piece on the fly. Haven't done a ton of testing on it, but you can adjust turn amount, size of the turn, the distance the turn takes in space, all without any fuss or muss.

- If you build a store (food, drink, whatever) slightly off the main path enough that it builds its own mini-path up to the store, that mini-path acts as its own queue that guests will line up in. No longer will guests walk away from a burger joint because there's two people buying burgers at that exact minute. The line they'll tolerate isn't huge, but the idea that guests will wait ten seconds to feed themselves when starving and not simply walking away is really awesome.

- It's pretty as hell. I'm not a hardware guy so I don't know where my system sits anymore (GTX 960 2gig, Intel i5 2500k, 16 gig memory), but my graphics options give me outstanding performance with Medium quality and very slight hitching at High quality. I could barely notice the difference, really, so I set things to something between Medium and High and everything looks really nice.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
never played f.e.a.r. before. i'm three missions in when a loading screen tells me i can do bicycle kicks and slide kicks. i start doing these in slow motion--holy gently caress is this game suddenly way more fun than it was a moment ago

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
I haven't played a pokemon game since Gold so dunno if this is new, but In Pokemon Sun your pokemon get hungry. You can ignore this to no detriment, but if they aren't hungry they'll evade and crit more often than normal. One way of feeding them is through pokebeans, which you get a lot of for free. In the Refresh screen it will tell you how hungry they are. If your pokemon is full they won't eat them, and if they're near full they'll eat them slower. However Snorlax will always eat them at full speed, and actually eat a bean in 2 bites instead of 3 like everyone else.

E: Also the game is just cute and chill as hell in so many ways. There's even a Pokemon Snap subgame where you take pictures of these cuties. I'm glad I bought into the hype.

Xythe has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

never played f.e.a.r. before. i'm three missions in when a loading screen tells me i can do bicycle kicks and slide kicks. i start doing these in slow motion--holy gently caress is this game suddenly way more fun than it was a moment ago

you can also holster your guns and just slo-mo kung-fu your way through human enemies.