Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I decided to change the oil in my wagon today, seeing as it's 1k past due. I bought a jug of Rotella and sent my wife for a filter before the local parts store closed. In the mean time, I drained the oil. I watched as the level of the drain pan surpassed the 5qt jug I had bought... 7qts came out. I bought 5. God drat it. I am not a smart man. Every local store I have tried does not stock qts of the oil (Rotella T6) and I have somewhere to be at 8am tomorrow. Guess I'm driving our truck. I can only laugh, because gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stare: What kind of wagon?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Dimethyl turkeyamine :lsd:

E: aaasnd now I have to listen to Shpongle

We would have also allowed for: Infected Mushroom

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:stare: What kind of wagon?

E46 wagon I think

Walmart should have t6 errday

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

West SAAB Story posted:

We would have also allowed for: Infected Mushroom

Cities of the Future: MDMA the Soundtrack

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BraveUlysses posted:

E46 wagon I think

Isn't it for diesel engines and pre-1980 gasoline engines only? Something about fouling catalytic converters or some weirdness with the mineral content?

All oil fouls cats, right? I know that they're not designed to handle oil in general, but I've heard that T6 is especially bad for some, poorly defined reason

E: Other countries actually like diesels, riiiiiight. I forget about that

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 20, 2016

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Cities of the Future: MDMA the Soundtrack

I was rolling nuts one time and my buddy put on Xploding Plastix "Treat Me Mean, I Need the Reputation" and I about lost it because it was the old gas chamber music.

That song is awesome to roll face to though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Just finished watching the premier of Not Top Gear The Grand Tour and it was very enjoyable. For the sake of not wanting to spoil anything I will leave it at that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Door Frame posted:

Isn't it for diesel engines and pre-1980 gasoline engines only? Something about fouling catalytic converters or some weirdness with the mineral content?

All oil fouls cats, right? I know that they're not designed to handle oil in general, but I've heard that T6 is especially bad for some, poorly defined reason

Not true, rotella T6 is one of the finest oils you can buy for any engine.

Your thinking of ZDDP additive was was reduced or removed from most oils a while back. I think specialty break in oils might still contain it.

Don't forget modern diesels have DPFs, catalysts, and urea catalysts as well.

Edit: Actually it looks like they just updated it to a CK-4 standard. No one really knows what's in it yet, but it's formulated for lower emissions and 2017+ Diesel engines. It's apparently not a fleet (used to be SM rated) oil in the 5w-40 grade anymore. They will have a specific T6 fleet oil that's probably OK, but it's only a max 30w.

rdb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 20, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Wal-Mart has the best price on oils

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rdb posted:

Not true, rotella T6 is one of the finest oils you can buy for any engine.

Your thinking of ZDDP additive was was reduced or removed from most oils a while back. I think specialty break in oils might still contain it.

Don't forget modern diesels have DPFs, catalysts, and urea catalysts as well.

Edit: Actually it looks like they just updated it to a CK-4 standard. No one really knows what's in it yet, but it's formulated for lower emissions and 2017+ Diesel engines. It's apparently not a fleet (used to be SM rated) oil in the 5w-40 grade anymore. They will have a specific T6 fleet oil that's probably OK, but it's only a max 30w.

Ford is saying they only support CK-4 oils that also meat their own new specification, and to use older API CJ-4 until they have a list of CK-4 oils that also meet their own specification. There's also a new FA-4 spec that ford has said will void your warranty. CK-4 is supposed to be backwards compatible, but ford is citing "inadequate wear protection"

https://jobbersworldblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/ford-motor-company-ck-4-position-statement.pdf

shell responded.

http://rotella.shell.com/media/2016/fords-position-statement.html

Might be time to stock up on some CJ-4.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 20, 2016

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, it kinda pisses me off. I pretty much run T6 in everything from my diesel tractor to my Prius. It just worked and I didn't have to worry about it.

I literally had a gallon in my amazon cart ready to check out last night for my BMW motorcycle (it used to be JASO MA rated). It was literally half the price of a motorcycle specific 5w-40 but who knows what's in it now. Supposedly the new formula is already in the bottle but the labeling won't change until January.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BMW with a dry clutch? You don't need JASO-MA.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It's a S1000XR with a wet clutch. It's supposed to use JASO MA2. For me MA was close enough especially for half the price.

I wound up buying a 6 pack of Castrol 5w-40 motorcycle oil off Amazon for $44 all in. There is a $10 off coupon. Beats BMW motorrad advantec for $18.99/qt at the dealer, but not as cheap as T6.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Rentals by the week are far cheaper than by the day. Check the local rental companies. Compare prices between airport and non-airport locations.

Enterprise specifically has long term rental programs, where you just bring it in for maintenance. I'm sure other companies do too. I know Amazon keeps a ton of long term Enterprise rentals at their warehouses for when they're short on drivers.

And of course if you only need it here and there, as Powershift pointed out, there's plenty of on-demand rentals that are all-inclusive. Though so far, every single one I've rented has been filthy and was missing the fuel card - but those were all Hertz 24/7 rentals on a university campus.

Tried that. Even licked it, even tried rubbing my dick on it. I was hoping to get a tickle, but nothing. :sigh: I got a good tickle when I pulled the cover off and touched the black wire though!

Oh yeah. Maintenance closed the work order as "Repaired". I guess they don't know my burglar alarm is monitored.. and that I have it specifically setup so that anytime the code I gave maintenance is used, I get a text message (also the property manager told me she "loving hates burglar alarms", guess that's why :v:). It helps that I know the ins and outs of programming DSC alarm systems. No texts from the alarm company (just a text from property maintenance saying they'd completed the work order), still flashing red light, still random popping/buzzing from it, and the alarm was still on when I got home (they never turn it back on when they leave). I tried killing the breaker for the outlet, but it turns out that also kills the outlet that my main PC is on.

Don't you have to have hair to be a ginger? :smuggo:

Everybody will cry. You may not see it, but the ones who are trying not to show emotion will find a quiet place and let go.

Funerals aren't fun for anybody.

Good luck with it man. I was hoping to send something before the funeral, or to the funeral (hence why I got your address from you), but money's been tight. :smith: There's still something on the way to your house though, it should be there next weekend.

Oh man I appreciate it, you didn't have to send anything and that's very kind and giving of you ❤️

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Went out to the bar last night with two of my single buddies.

What the gently caress is it about a ring on your finger that turns you into a single girl attractant? Because I was trying to shove girls off to them and it was just loving weird.

Also we rode a mechanical bull and my back and rear end hurt so, so bad this morning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

What the gently caress is it about a ring on your finger that turns you into a single girl attractant? Because I was trying to shove girls off to them and it was just loving weird.
If someone thinks you're worthing holding on to, you're worth trying to get hold of.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rotella is the right answer for every engine.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

If I just bought some car parts off ebay that were much cheaper than they should have been should I feel guilty? (It was an older guy and i'm not sure he meant to make the auction fixed price or if that was supposed to be the starting price)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Feel guilty all you want, whilst fitting said parts to your vehicle.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Rotary is the right answer for every engine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Door Frame posted:

I run T6 in everything but the M-cars that require unicorn blood. Bikes, TDI, truck and everything in between.

rdb posted:

Well that sucks, I'll have to look into if this will make it less ideal for the things I run it in. Still have 5+ cases in the attic from when it was on sale last time.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just finished watching the premier of Not Top Gear The Grand Tour and it was very enjoyable. For the sake of not wanting to spoil anything I will leave it at that.
Agreed, we enjoyed it

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Feel guilty all you want, whilst fitting said parts to your vehicle.

I feel like i'm a good home for them so the guilt is gradually leaving.

Now where can i find a proper engineer who will weld a cracked cast manifold for me? I think the old guy who did it for me last time is now dead and his amazing workshop is closed up :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've heard of a place called Slinden Services in Measham, but no knowledge of them or their prices beyond that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Apex seal says: I'm Out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Apex seal says: I'm Out.
Pain is just rotary seals leaving the engine

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ordered some flowers for my cousin's funeral next week from FTD. I have gotten no less than 12 emails from them in the last 24 hours.

Also, did an in-store pickup at Office Depot. Arrived at the store, had to stand in the same line of 6 customers and one open register.

WTF Customer Service moments

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I made an order from FTD last night as well. They've been blowing up my email today.

So I finally got a 90 degree O2 adapter. Had to beat on the heat shield a little to get it installed, but it fits, and the sensor dropped in. Turns out the wire to the secondary o2 sensor is about 3 loving feet long, it plugs in right next to the primary sensor. It's so weird not seeing the check engine light on, after having it lit up for a year and a half.

Also found out it had the wrong catalytic converter on it. The manual transmission version of my car has a double cat downpipe with the sensor between the cats, the automatic has a single cat (sensor in the same spot). Single cat downpipe on mine, and since it's as rusty as the rest of the exhaust, I'd guess that happened at the factory. No idea why the manual version would get 2 cats when everything else is the same.

Oh yeah it passed emissions+safety today, so I'm good for a year. It'll probably be someone else's problem by this time next year.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 21, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*fat Bart voice* I wash maself with a sock on ma dick

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

More cylinders = more better right?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rascal saw a squirrel while we were taking pictures :3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How's your shoulder recovering?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

He didn't move but he barked a lot haha

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Rascal saw a squirrel while we were taking pictures :3:

*dog Neo* Woah

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExplodingSims posted:

More cylinders = more better right?
Having just bled Land Rover twin leading shoe front brakes... Sometimes more cylinders are a pain in the balls.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Should I buy this chinesium 56" tool cabinet on sale for seven hundred dollars for my new garage? I have poo poo for storage currently and I like the long drawers.
http://www.harborfreight.com/56-in-...ifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Check Craigslist for a Matco or Snap On being unloaded for a similar price from a mechanic who's done bleeding dry?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have the 44" one and it's great

Personally I'd get 2 44's for the same price as the big one

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Finished the clutch in my Focus tonight.

Holy poo poo I forgot what having a clutch that engages a fraction of an inch off the floor was like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I have the 44" one and it's great

Personally I'd get 2 44's for the same price as the big one

This is the best option. The 44 has a lot of accessories to add on later if you want. But 14" option isn't too bad of an idea. And if it's for home use a used old Kennedy set isn't a bad option.

• Locked thread