Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

So at MMA one of the coaches sons was teaching boxing and he said to keep my back foot parallel to my front, but I watched a tonne of boxing online yesterday and I don't think I saw a single boxer do that. Whats the deal?

It's a style thing. The amateur coaches I used to work with went for the general parallel approach, which is more of a relaxed foot position thing, and I've seen material (Hazlitt's book, eg) that prescribes a kind of pidgeon-toed approach.

Unless you mean that he was saying that you should never under any circumstances have your feet in any position other than parallel. That would be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nierbo posted:

So at MMA one of the coaches sons was teaching boxing and he said to keep my back foot parallel to my front, but I watched a tonne of boxing online yesterday and I don't think I saw a single boxer do that. Whats the deal?

It's the ideal and helps keep your hips square and allows for the most efficient forward/back movement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Boxing for MMA or boxing boxing?
Some people find they have more power with the rear foot pointing to the side and have enough skill elsewhere to live with it. It makes it a bit easier to slip to your inside.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

kimbo305 posted:

Boxing for MMA or boxing boxing?
Some people find they have more power with the rear foot pointing to the side and have enough skill elsewhere to live with it. It makes it a bit easier to slip to your inside.

I learned boxing in a pure boxing gym and they taught the stance with your rear foint pointing forward, but the place where I'm going now (MMA/boxing/thai/kickboxing) taughts it with the rear foot pointing to the side. Never asked why (and I'm probably wrong), but I suspect it's easier for people to learn who wants to get later into other things that involve kicking.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

For MMA wouldn't you want your feet pointed forward to shoot/prevent shots and throw kicks/knees?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Yea left foot facing forward, right food shoulder width and 45 degrees out or a little narrower.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Looking for a product reccomendation : groin protectors ( i live in europe if that matters because i will probably have to order it online)

A few weeks ago i got kicked in the groin while wearing a shock doctor bio flex cup, and it hurt. a lot.
So i'm looking for something that's a lot tougher while not immobilizing me too much. I've been looking around online and seen some of these thai steel cups, any idea on those ?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
're: foot placement.

I find that its not overly important to focus on. Granted, I can't outbox a grocery bag, but I find its more important to hit the guy an getn out of the way than it is to worry about which way your toes are pointing. Seriously, watch some fights. Those guys don't study toe chi.

On an unrelated note, what are the risks of taking a fight while out of shape? I've trained regularly for about two years now, but I love beer and ice cream. Will I literally die?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rationale posted:

On an unrelated note, what are the risks of taking a fight while out of shape? I've trained regularly for about two years now, but I love beer and ice cream. Will I literally die?

RIP this goon

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Rationale posted:

I find that its not overly important to focus on. Granted, I can't outbox a grocery bag, but I find its more important to hit the guy an getn out of the way than it is to worry about which way your toes are pointing. Seriously, watch some fights. Those guys don't study toe chi.

Boxing is all about footwork, yes I know is more fun to slug it out with someone instead of doing endless footwork drills, but building on that will make you a better boxer.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Rationale posted:

If this is not a serious post then its brilliant.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

my dojo... is the street

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

my dojo... is the street

The best base for MMA is homelessness. Cody McKenzie p4p #1.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

Bangkero posted:

The Gracie breakdown of man vs panda was pretty amusing.

Anyone have any experience training at Miller Brothers MMA or rolling against people from their gym? http://www.millerbrothersmma.com/ I have a chance to visit them next week if I can sneak away from my cousin's wedding festivities.

I roll/box/muay Thai there. I'm very new to the sport all around so take from my experience what you will. The people there are very helpful and friendly and there's tons of experience in the gym overall. There's ample Mat space and the gym is open for a good chunk of time during the week. It has enough weights and cardio to supplement an actual gym membership. I would definitely recommend them.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
Does anyone have experience with this gym?

http://www.mebjj.com

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TheChimney posted:

It looks like a great place to train.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

himurak posted:

I roll/box/muay Thai there. I'm very new to the sport all around so take from my experience what you will. The people there are very helpful and friendly and there's tons of experience in the gym overall. There's ample Mat space and the gym is open for a good chunk of time during the week. It has enough weights and cardio to supplement an actual gym membership. I would definitely recommend them.

Thanks, I'm trying to sneak out either Wednesday or Thursday. Just don't know if I'd get more out of the advanced gi on Wednesday or the advanced no-gi class on Thursday.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Rationale posted:

posts GGG .gifs in endless waves.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Got my ankle popped while i was getting an inside heel hook applied onto me. It felt as if a few big bubbles were popping in my foot. Didnt hurt much after a minute or two but my foot is kinda tender today. Ive iced it a little. Can anyone tell me if rehab or special treatment should be done and for how long?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

TheChimney posted:

I don't know anything about it, but I know there's a Paragon Jiu Jitsu, a Jean Jacques Machado school, a 10th Planet, as well as a Gracie Humaita....Try em all see which you like best.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Odddzy posted:

Got my ankle popped while i was getting an inside heel hook applied onto me. It felt as if a few big bubbles were popping in my foot. Didnt hurt much after a minute or two but my foot is kinda tender today. Ive iced it a little. Can anyone tell me if rehab or special treatment should be done and for how long?

Someone can in fact tell you if rehab or treatment is a required! (a doctor)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So I just learned that my local rec center has a boxing class taught by Buster Douglas

I'm in there as soon as I get my membership

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Someone can in fact tell you if rehab or treatment is a required! (a doctor)

For sure it's the sensible option but seeing a doctor in Canada in my city for sprains takes about 13-14 hours in the emergency room. I tried avoiding going to it if it was at all possible but it's all good. It doesn't hurt anymore really. Ice helped.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Lately I've been swimming a couple of times a week. Really good cardio exercise to complement grappling. Almost no joint strain at all, lots of big (gentle) rotational movements, and your body feels really good afterwards. It's like simultaneous cardio and joint rehab.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I tried a karate class last week to supplement my aikido stuff. They were very old school formal in their approach, and their website said verbatim, "Do not train with us unless you're willing to commit full time as a student." So, I sent them a email that I had a lot of fun, but couldn't go full time since aikido is my home dojo, and wishing them the best.

I got a mail back that was basically "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM WELL WHATEVER BYE."

I have no idea what people even want sometimes.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

I tried a karate class last week to supplement my aikido stuff. They were very old school formal in their approach, and their website said verbatim, "Do not train with us unless you're willing to commit full time as a student." So, I sent them a email that I had a lot of fun, but couldn't go full time since aikido is my home dojo, and wishing them the best.

what do you get out of aikido?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

For sure it's the sensible option but seeing a doctor in Canada in my city for sprains takes about 13-14 hours in the emergency room. I tried avoiding going to it if it was at all possible but it's all good. It doesn't hurt anymore really. Ice helped.

Then don't go to the ER - go to any clinic which accepts walk-in patients.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

When I was looking to start a martial art a couple of years back. I looked at places near me. I found a place looked neat had karate and jjj, so I sent an email up to them with some questions that weren't answered on the website, where'd dude get his black belt from, do they live spar(which I required absolutely no wiggle room), some other really basic stuff, and the guy responded saying he'd rather talk over the phone. While it was annoying due to my lack of cell phone at the time and how my job was I set up a phone meeting with the guy, and he pushed for me to come into his gym, and when I asked him questions he got absurdly defensive and started saying how I should learn respect for my elders(I was 25 at the time) and stuff like that. Suffice to say I don't know karate or Japanese jiujitsu. Gym owners are people too, some are power tripping assholes some aren't.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

what do you get out of aikido?

Movement and footwork. Exercise. Better control over center of gravity and core muscles. Get to hang out with nice, laid back people. :)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Movement and footwork. Exercise. Better control over center of gravity and core muscles. Get to hang out with nice, laid back people. :)

Sounds cool

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

It is! You're sure as poo poo not going to learn how to win a cage fight but you can at least get away from attackers.

You spend a lot of time spinning in circles though. :barf:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It is! You're sure as poo poo not going to learn how to win a cage fight but you can at least get away from attackers.

You spend a lot of time spinning in circles though. :barf:

The thread can benefit from an Aikido poster. I get the sense that a lot of us have had the Aikido experience that's "check out this technique I need you to grab my hand... no my other hand... no like this... well it doesn't work if you do that..."

Keep Aikidoing and posting about it.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
So I tried to get back into MMA training about 3 weeks ago. First class I strained a forearm (still not back to full), second my shin somehow found my partners knee when I was getting body slammed and it still hurts to walk. Going back to the doctor tomorrow for that.

I haven't been back to the MMA classes yet since I got bronchitis in the mean time, but I'm kinda thinking about picking something a little less intense. I care more about lifting than martial arts, overall. There's a traditional dojo that's fairly cheap, no contracts, and well respected that I can go to. I've visited in the past and liked them. They offer all sorts of classes, so I could easily do something like karate during the week and judo/jiujitsu over the weekend if I want to. Or go to some kobudo/iado classes to dance around with weapons. I'll feel like a bitch giving up on the MMA stuff so quickly, though...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

The thread can benefit from an Aikido poster. I get the sense that a lot of us have had the Aikido experience that's "check out this technique I need you to grab my hand... no my other hand... no like this... well it doesn't work if you do that..."

Keep Aikidoing and posting about it.

The problem with aikido is you can't really learn the basics unless you do grab someone's hand the "right" way to start with. "It doesn't work if you do that" is a widespread problem, though, and it's a lot better when the other person's striking, because you have movement to work with. However, the first thing you're taught (or should be) is that, if they don't move the way you want or at all, hit them. They'll unstick real fast after that. That lesson frequently gets lost, though, because A) aiki guys are usually pretty laid back and don't like outright slugging people in the dojo and B) the "magic hakuma" effect (i.e. you move the "textbook" way for sensei because sensei, but not for your training partner.)

That being said I trained regularly under a seventh dan, the (late :smith:) Kevin Choate-Sensei. He actually trained regularly with O Sensei, he was like 6'7", and he was loving terrifying. He grabbed me by the throat once during training because I wouldn't stop leaving it open. Not choke or strike, just "whoops got your throat, okay go sit down junior your ukemi sucks today." :stare: He never hurt anybody on the mat, but he cross trained in systema, and you could tell he could loving wreck you if he really wanted to. I heard stories from a sixth dan requesting he hit her with more force so she could experience what it was like. The exact quote was, "It felt like a bomb went off in my shoulder."

Another guy like that is our school's head instructor, Satomi-Sensei. He's an eighth dan, also trained under O Sensei, and was one of his closest students. He is also a terrifying man, although I've never even seen him so much as raise his voice. That's the thing about the high ranking guys: they move and carry themselves in a way that just screams, "do not gently caress with this person." White belts and even lower dans aren't guaranteed to get their poo poo to work right 100% of the time. Satomi-shihan and Ikeda-shihan? Whitehead-sensei? That's a whoooole different story.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
he cross-trained in systema?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

he cross-trained in systema?

Yup. He was really big on it, too, to the point where he and Saotomi-shihan developed a little bit of a frosty relationship for a while (IIRC). It's done a lot to bridge the two, though. In fact, we share our dojo with a systema club here in town.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
does the systema raise any red flags to you though - do they actually spar?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

does the systema raise any red flags to you though - do they actually spar?

Yup. And they hit each other pretty goddamn hard sometimes, too! :classiclol:

A lot of it is keeping tension out of your body and moving with the blow, though, so it's not like they're just standing there decking each other. But dang can experienced systema guys punch you in ways that make your insides hurt.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Yup. And they hit each other pretty goddamn hard sometimes, too! :classiclol:

A lot of it is keeping tension out of your body and moving with the blow, though, so it's not like they're just standing there decking each other. But dang can experienced systema guys punch you in ways that make your insides hurt.

How does a sparring session like that usually play out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Is this all a very high-effort troll?