Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Derek - who cares, he can buy back in

Beer - chill

Beet - unchill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao that thread

lmao this thread

unironically, pgabz you are the best. Let's poo poo post until it's 2017.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Beer4TheBeerGod should absolutely take over as mod of this subforum.

Absolutely nobody should ever remind him of the fact he once mailed in a box of home special brew to the CIG team during the earlier days. :v:
Sorry, years. My how time flies!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Yeah, gently caress everything about that guy.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Yeah, gently caress everything about that guy.

Hey Lando is as much a victim as anyone else

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen: Tanes Are Useless

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
beet and beer are chill imo. I like the new regime.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod should absolutely take over as mod of this subforum.

Absolutely nobody should ever remind him of the fact he once mailed in a box of home special brew to the CIG team during the earlier days. :v:
Sorry, years. My how time flies!

Beer, we need you to recite the anti-SC pledge of honor. Just to be sure.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Today was a busy day around here! Night night, thread. Dream of bunnies.

e: oh my god this ones the cutest:

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 21, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

zcrow posted:

Is FAU a Star Citizen?

I think he is considering buying an Idris, yes.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

no they will not posted:

Tane

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Furthermore gently caress tane, whatever it is

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

So, I finally had time to watch the pre-event plus the event livestream proper, catch up to the thread until around a couple of hours after the end of the stream and take a peak at :reddit:. I'm going to start writing this before reading anything more so what follows is entirely my uncontaminated perspective and I have a feeling it's going to be a 0.8 on the Derek Smart Rant scale. Adjust your belts, this is going to be largely stream of thought...

I've worked as a programmer for 20 years, in the last 15 I've also started having insight into the accounting and dealing with the upper management of hundreds of clients. Over the years I've dealt with thousands of honest people and dozens of extremely dishonest ones. This has made me wary of certain warning signs, if you go past - say - 30% on my red_flag scale you get moved into a "bullshit sandbox" and from then on everything you say and everything you do comes under scrutiny. However, I have a an almost pathological fear of being unfairly/unjustly accused of some crime/dishonesty and no one believing me so even though the red flags keep piling up I mostly just take note. I never actually call someone out publicly unless I'm into >97.5% territory.

This post isn't some sort of "threat assessment", I don't have a degree in law, or psychology, or anything of the sort. I'm just an rear end in a top hat on the internet that has been around for a while. It is with these credentials that I can now say with a clear conscience:

Chris Roberts is a loving crook.

I have had pleasure of dealing with the "business partner" version of the "Chris Roberts" model. Everything Chris says is a lie. Chris sometimes even lies when he doesn't have to lie and gets in trouble for it. It's pathological, he can't help himself. And he feels no guilt doing it, it's like the robots in Westworld, it doesn't register on his conscience.

I can say he is a crook because there are lies he told that he had to know were lies, things that couldn't possibly be attributed to mere overconfident optimist, or sheer incompetence, but are straight out deception..

What we were shown was "the secret build". They have nothing fresher than this, they said it themselves. This is "it". In light of what we were shown how could Chris have said that vaulting was coming in 2.3, some 9 months ago? They don't have vaulting or any of the other FPS poo poo they said would be ready months ago today, it was all lies.
Some people will say "of all the poo poo you're focusing on this?" The thing is that everything is a lie, but something like this can't be dismissed as a "mistake", or "Illfonics fault". No, Chris lied.

Another example is my Oct 31st blog, where I jokingly said:

I am now convinced I was right on the money, "The Road to CitizenCon" was...
A METACON! :krakken:

It wouldn't shock me if they filmed it in the course of a day, after all these are people with delusions of Hollywood.

There was never any question of showing anything Squadron 42 related at the Con. NEVER. Yesterday they threw everything they had at the whales, all the shinny new movies/advertisements, the latest AC and SM, looots of filler and they didn't show anything Squadron 42 related? :cmon:

A reminder that this:

is material they felt was ready to be show. I can only imagine how bad the Oldman/Hamill/Gillian motion capture must be that not even in their darkest hour they dare to show it.
I mean... either Chris or the new marketing firm they hired (Sandi didn't do this for sure) did one last desperate push to save themselves from impending doom and put a lid on discontentment that was on the verge of boiling over and still they didn't have anything from Squadron 42 that they felt was good enough to show. Just how bad is this catastrophe?

No, there never was any question of having anything to show back then. How could there be? It was all a loving lie. If anything they were working on the Homestead demo at the time and that didn't work out. Does anyone really believe they put that up in a couple of weeks? They had been working on that poo poo for a looooong time.

None of the dates, estimations, or projections Chris gives mean anything, it's all a pack of lies. If you want to discern any truth in them you can't look where he is pointing but rather what he is trying to distract you from.

What this pack of lies:

tells me is two things. First, if the best estimation Chris is giving you is that some of the work is going to be ready for testing on December 8 there is no loving way in heaven 2.6 is coming to the PU this year. Maybe, maybe it will be in the PU by mid 2017Q1.

But, much more importantly this chart tells you THERE WAS NEVER ANY CHANCE OF 3.0 BEING READY THIS YEAR. It was another straight out lie that Chris Roberts said. The man is a crook.

Look at how CIG has to distribute the human/time resources is has:

• Working on advertisements, those things take a lot of time to make and it's not just "artists" wasting time on this, that poo poo works with the game engine.
  • Working on isolated R&D tech demos like Homestead
  • Squadron 42 and everything to do with it
  • 2.6/Star Marine
  • Planet generation, careers and all the poo poo that is supposed to go into 3.0

They can't do everything at once, the Earth does not have four simultaneous days on each rotation, even if you have 4 offices. In order to have 2.6/SM out by the end of the year that means no work will get done on Squadron 42, or procedural planets or any of the poo poo that is supposed to go into 3.0. If I had to guess after 2.6 they will focus on Squadron 42 and 3.0 will be delayed to sometime during 2018 at best. How could there ever be any question of 3.0 being ready "before December 19th"? The man is a lying crook!

But lets forget for a minute the discussion of whether or not 2.6/SM will come to the PU this year. Let's make take "The Path to 2.6". During the 5th year of development the PU: 1- got some new ships; 2- got an area for bad boys to hang out; 3- got a clothing system and with it the ability to shoot compressed air out of your nipples.

That was it. No gameplay between 2.0 and 2.5. And for the last six months they have been dangling these updates in front of their eyes until they are so desperate to get them that everyone seems to have forgotten just exactly what 2.6 consist of. Let me remind you of what will be added to the PU with 2.6, sometime before Spring. Maybe.

This is it, prepare your body for hot new gameplay in the Verse:

Two new ships. A bar for the previously mentioned badboys. That's the exciting new update everyone is looking forward to. THIS GAME IS GOING PLACES!

That's it for the foreseeable future, they have to get Squadron 42 out or they are hosed so no significant work is going to go into 3.0 until that's done. The content locusts are going to have to happy with the gameplay they have, which is exactly what they've had all 2016. I'm laughing at you WTFOSaurus! :laugh:

What about AC/SM you say? What about it? Some updates to a dogfighting module no one would care about if the PU was any good or had anything to do? A shitastic FPS that looks laughable compared to what is already in the market? Oh and it turns out that Star Marine was just another game module after all! This isn't going to be integrated in the PU, they said the arena was on another system with a stupid name I forgot. Since there are no jumpgates until 4.0 guess what... it's just another game module.

And this is if give it as granted that they can integrate that rubbish, which given that this wasn't the first time Star Marine LAN team gameplay was shown is hardly guaranteed. Some blocker might still show up and 2.6 have to be released without it sometime in March. But it will be ready soon guys, just a couple of weeks and it will release separately. Trust us!

Just going to mention the sale of capital ships for fresh cash in passing with a mere :lol:, everything else has already been said.

Final verdict: kudos to CIG for lowering the fire roasting your nuts a little, it was an excellent marketing job given what you had to work with. I think it will assuage the whales for a good while, it shouldn't be until January that you will start slipping on the given release dates and they'll get antsy again. :golfclap:
Whatever you are paying the new guys they were worth it, and keep Sandi away from interacting with anyone outside her studio playroom.

There is still a chance this shitshow will continue for a good while and I for one am glad of it. It all depends on how big their reserves are, they will probably make another big sale with the release of 2.6 sometime early 2017 but after that it's a long crossing of the desert until they can cobble something up and not be ashamed to call it Squadron 42. Be that as it may I doubt 3.0 will ever see the light of day, certainly not before 2018.

In the meanwhile, let the milking continue! :whip:

e: hey. CIG guy reading the thread, i see you passed them my idea of increasing credit prices instead of offering cash discounts. As you can see by this post I could be of use to CIG, one way or another. PM me to know of my very reasonable rates.

e2: in 5 years there wasn't a single livestream CIG hasn't hosed up, the incompetence is almost surreal

This is a good post :golfclap:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Propagandist posted:

Today was a busy day around here! Night night, thread. Dream of bunnies.

e: oh my god this ones the cutest:

stop spamming the thread with off topic content please :)

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

I'm still waiting for the new OP they will clearly all work on together because I said it was something that should happen help it's lonely and dark inside this space crate.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
goldmine at page 6666, new thread for the new era

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

I, for one, welcome our new ex-backer overlords.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Is there anyway to generate a nude Tane?

No but it is possible to generate a nude Tace :heysexy:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

goldmine at page 6666, new thread for the new era
Like all pre-release threads we should only make a new one when the game is out.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I, for one, welcome our new ex-backer overlords.

spare a shekel for an old ex-backer?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I never knew QCS was a thing before the initial thread drama in games.

From reading the "it's official, the forums are dying" thread it seems that the forums may well die before star citizen does.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 21, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Abongination posted:

From reading the "it's official, the forums are dying" thread it seems that the forums may well die before star citizen does.

[timg] https://i.imgur.com/9ySIxL9.png[/timg]

To be fair, if SA was getting that kind of kickstarter/backer money, the forums could make it to the heat death of the universe. Star Citizen has been DOA for some time now.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Also lol "kickparper" as a custom crowd funding website for SA stuff. The collapse of the forums will forever be tied to star citizen.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Abongination posted:

:captainpop: what happened in 2013-2014?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Skellybones posted:

The forum turned to be gay and comedy primarily.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Skellybones posted:

dongo bongo lp

which, if started today instead of back then, would probably be deleted twice then have the op banned at some point lol

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's incredibly funny to me that Derek is furiously texting Lowtax about his ban, and Lowtax has no idea yet. It's almost as good as when Fox called Lowtax to interview him about slenderman.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/5e1pmx/are_cig_liable_to_refund_the_20_vat_that_i_paid/

Any EU Goons know the answer? I was under the impression that this was the sort of thing the Crown got really pissy about.

VAT is always included in a statutory rights refund. It has to be, it is part of the price you paid for the goods. If they are deducting it then they may be trying to withhold it while telling HMRC that they've repaid it, thus getting to pocket it. Which would be fraud. Regardless of nefarious intent, if they are regularly deducting VAT from refunds to customers then I imagine HMRC and/or Trading Standards would be very interested in precisely what the gently caress CIG think they are doing.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 21, 2016

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CIG is selling hero variants of their non existent spaceships?

What.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Marching Powder posted:

No, the issue here is a moderator in his official capacity acting like a bitch. Objectively, tane is no more off topic or useless than your dog. Get some perspective and get off your high horse you pussy. Free g0m and then gently caress off until someone doxes someone, or use your powers to make this thread more readable in total instead of getting rid of the fyad menace in the most passive aggressive manner possible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wow dude where'd you find this steaming heap of righteous indignation

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Personally, I am waiting to figure out who is Lazrin going to target now.

Crush Boss
Nov 25, 2010

Don't let children breath your smoke
I go away for 2 days, and everything falls apart, this thread does keep on giving though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
tayne

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i hate mods :twisted:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's precisely as tedious as all his other posts, just this time he directed it at someone who had a probate button.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

now, tayne i can get into

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Da fuq?

What happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I like our new mods. Derek let some people get away with bullshit they shouldn't have, then dabbled in different bullshit he shouldn't have. His zany antics were fun sometimes, but someone with a sense of controlling shitheels needs to be in control.

• Locked thread