Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why are you guys talking about (really really really bad) anime in the cartoon thread?

Also bullshit eyeball powers armsrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anime is cartoons.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The only character I cared about after a point was Hinata and it became increasingly obvious she would never do anything. Fast forward several years and she apparently never did anything, incredible! At least she achieved her goal in the end.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ramos posted:

The only character I cared about after a point was Hinata and it became increasingly obvious she would never do anything. Fast forward several years and she apparently never did anything, incredible! At least she achieved her goal in the end.

Pour one out for Tenten; she achieved literally absolutely nothing (outside of filler), and even at the end when she got hold of the weapon that could stop the bad guy which required exactly her kind of expertise, she was immediately locked up in a cocoon and taken out of the series.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Naruto was honestly really spiteful toward female characters in a really weird but very consistent way throughout the majority of its run. If a character was a woman they largely weren't ever going to accomplish poo poo and would generally look like a joke. I think Temari was the only one who ever had a decent showing, and this was both fairly early and was largely connected to her wrecking another woman.

I feel like Kishimoto has Some Issues.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
To be fair, Sakura didn't ever do too much either.

She was there at the final battle, and she did gently caress-all.

Her one shining achievement in all of Naruto, is being used as a puppet for a better Ninja to fight a ninja made out of puppets.

Shonen.. is not a good place for female characters.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Naruto was honestly really spiteful toward female characters in a really weird but very consistent way throughout the majority of its run. If a character was a woman they largely weren't ever going to accomplish poo poo and would generally look like a joke. I think Temari was the only one who ever had a decent showing, and this was both fairly early and was largely connected to her wrecking another woman.

I feel like Kishimoto has Some Issues.

It's either that or just Good' ol Japanese Sexism at play.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The final bad guy in the series is a woman, also the first woman villain in the manga.

She was a kind goddess once and brought the ninja magic to the world in order to end a war or something. Then she went mad when her sons stopped loving her as much as she wanted them to. She says this in her initial monologue and afterwards she is very much quiet, another "male" character that's been there since the timeskip speaks on her behalf the entire time and her powers are so great she doesn't get to kill or really harm a single character in the show and most of her powers result in changing the page's background. Also the fight begins with Naruto and Sasuke getting the power to defeat her.

You certainly can read stuff a bit further than standard japanese sexism.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Meanwhile Freiza was based off real estate speculators, because gently caress those guys.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

PicklePants posted:

Shonen.. is not a good place for female characters.

For a while I watched the latest Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, and I was pretty hyped that the main female characters looked like she was going to achieve more than you'd expect from someone in a series like this.
I should have known better.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Is there actually a shonen that actually does female characters well?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Steven Universe.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Steven Universe.

Fair. There has to be at least one from Japan though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The sixth arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has several cool ladies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junpei Hyde posted:

The original Powerpuff Girls

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sailor Moon?

Granted, I could probably rewatch that and find it hilariously bad now that I'm not six.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FMA's female cast was usually pretty good but it's also written by a woman so lol what a shock.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

Meanwhile Freiza was based off real estate speculators, because gently caress those guys.

I don't care if this is true, it's hilarious.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Yeah it's FMA. Don't watch the first TV version, the second and the manga are far better.
Sailor Moon is delightful but it's shoujo, not shounen.
Wait... this is TVIV not the Anime Board...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's honestly kind of weird how little DBZ focuses on Freeza's actual job as evil property developer.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

The sixth arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has several cool ladies.

JoJo is the greatest thing there ever was, but it stopped running on Shonen after Diamond is Unbreakable iirc. Don't forget the magnetic lady that gave us that legendary Joseph Eye-Pop gif

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, it was Shonen Jump until a few chapters into Part 7, where it moved to the seinen magazine Ultra Jump.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You were right. I guess I assumed it changed before Stone Ocean what with its lady

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The fact that One Piece does female characters better than the majority of shonen anime tells you all you need to know because the way it treats its female characters is probably the worst thing about that series but still somehow comes out better than almost anything else in the genre.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish Robin got to fight

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Agreed but they still use her a ton as a support character. I think he honestly made her too powerful and because of that has no idea how to properly use her in a fight.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't dude who created OP marry the lady that played Nami in the stage play version

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Suuuuure did!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sick, living the dream

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Kinda weird to think now, but Bleach used to have GREAT female characters. Yoruichi was badass, Soifon was badass, Orihime got to actually win a fight to save Tatsuki, who was always my favorite. Halibel was cool for the 10 minutes she was onscreen. I think Hueco Mundo was when their writing went down, but that was also when Bleach itself started losing quality. I do find it funny that Rukia gets to become a captain at the end of the series, while Sakura becomes a housewife with a deadbeat husband who spends more time with Naruto's kid than his own.

There was also Medaka Box, which went from a Haruhi ripoff to a DBZ ripoff. Does Attack on Titan count as Shounen? All of the female characters in that are great.

Oh, and Jolyne in Jojo part 6 is awesome.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joleyne is my favorite JoJo but after just now reading Steel Ball Run that's for sure the best part

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of anime, is The Loud House the first Western cartoon for kids that has an actual anime nosebleed in it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of anime, is The Loud House the first Western cartoon for kids that has an actual anime nosebleed in it?

I haven't seen every episode of either series, but I'd be stunned if either Gumball or TTG hasn't had one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I could swear that Avatar: The Last Airbender did it at least once but google isn't helping me confirm it so I might be wrong.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TwoPair posted:

I haven't seen every episode of either series, but I'd be stunned if either Gumball or TTG hasn't had one.

Gumball just went the route of hiring an animation studio to do a fight scene

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The current fad for cheap kids fair made to sell toys these days seems to be to have short, three to six minutes or so, little clips on YouTube. It seemed to get popular with Monster High, and now there's a bunch.

Most of them are cheap flash, except for the Disney's Descendants shorts which seems to have the most effort put into the animation (although they end up looking like they were made using GMod).

I don't have cable, so I don't know if they get shown on television. I work at Target, though, and see the toys all the time, so I guess they're popular with kids?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
??????

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Thundersword238 posted:

There was also Medaka Box, which went from a Haruhi ripoff to a DBZ ripoff. Does Attack on Titan count as Shounen? All of the female characters in that are great.

Shonen and such are basically defined by what type of magazine they run in. If it runs in Shonen Jump, it's a Shonen. Period. It doesn't matter if it's read by primarily women (see: Prince of Tennis and other sports series) or stars a largely female cast (best I can think of is Fairy Tail or maybe Slayers), the publication it runs in, which intends to appeal to a certain demographic, determines if it's a Shonen or Seinin or whatever.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I find DBZ to be unwatchable without the Bruce Faulconer music. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Naruto was fine when I got round to it (I got as far as Midway through the Gaara fight then lost count of the episodes and didn't care to sift through 160+ eps again to find it.) My main problem was Naruto's village at all. They were just a village of assholes. It wasn't Naruto's fault he was a lovely ninja, his chi was literally being held back by a combination of the demon inside him interfering with it and the fact that it was sealed at all. He literally did not have full control of his body. That was also done to him when he was a baby, without his knowledge or consent, and the people start treating him like poo poo when he's like, 3 years old? They were just asking for a second Gaara. They're lucky Naruto was as well adjusted as he was despite the treatment he got or Konohana village would have been just a smear on the ground 12 years into Naruto's life.

Naruto had drat good reasons for all of his quirks and flaws. Konohana themselves drove him into that corner. I'd probably be somewhat lovely and selfish in those circumstances too due to taking the stance "gently caress Konohana Village"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 21, 2016