Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why do they keep making games for 13 year olds? I am not 13 anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wouldn't of bought FF15 when I was 13. Kids these days! :corsair:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

Shenmue.

Getting in the first real brawl in the parking lot is something I wish I could go back and experience for the first time again. Just beating the poo poo out of a dozen people at a time with a robust, Virtua Fighter-esque system where you're doing reversals and throws and tossing people around was awesome.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I think the Tales of games do combat best. It's active combat where both the enemies and the heroes at at the same time. No waiting for your turn, just smash poo poo.

Same with Dark Souls. Everyone plays by the same rules.

Aeris just died in my game so we'll see if this character shift in Cloud is real.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

The story comment is understandable, but I can't forgive calling Xenoblade X's music bad.

Counterpoint: the town theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfk-dQceR3Y

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think you meant "Point" there, friend.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The music in Xenoblade X is very much love it or leave it. Though I think even the people that love it can agree having music with lyrics play over a cutscene is stupid when its drowning out the people talking.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Some of the cutscene writing in Xenoblade X is so terrible that the music levels could be more feature than bug.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat feeling kinda like a Tales Of game is the #1 reason I'm looking forward to FF15.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Why do they keep making games for 13 year olds? I am not 13 anymore!

FF4's main characters were mostly in their 30s. It was aimed at kids, but it could appeal to anyone because the design philosophy was to make a good game first and worry about marketing later.
Now the main character is absolutely not allowed to be an adult, everything has to be run through a marketing team to make sure it has an appeal to X demographic, and most importantly, the games are not good. Hope this helps.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Actually, you say the game is for 13 year olds, but when I was 13 I would have said the game looked gay. Who the hell is FF15 for? Who wants to play a boyband road trip game that is also an in depth RPG where you fight a boss for 72 real time hours? The game just doesn't mesh, stylistically or conceptually. I have no idea who the audience for it is, and I don't think Square does either, because I think it was designed piecemeal and every little individual part was signed off on but not the product as a whole.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nanomashoes posted:

Actually, you say the game is for 13 year olds, but when I was 13 I would have said the game looked gay.

:eyepop:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Actually, you say the game is for 13 year olds, but when I was 13 I would have said the game looked gay. Who the hell is FF15 for? Who wants to play a boyband road trip game that is also an in depth RPG where you fight a boss for 72 real time hours? The game just doesn't mesh, stylistically or conceptually. I have no idea who the audience for it is, and I don't think Square does either, because I think it was designed piecemeal and every little individual part was signed off on but not the product as a whole.

Source your quotes

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

FF4's main characters were mostly in their 30s.

Cecil is 20, Kain is 21, Rosa is 19.

e: The only playable character in his 30s is Yang.

Veib fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 19, 2016

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I liked 13 and 14, so the main series is on a roll for me. 13's sequels are trash though.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Internet Kraken posted:

I wouldn't of bought FF15 when I was 13. Kids these days! :corsair:

To be fair this will probably be better then FF8 and anyway I can tell you exactly what my reaction was as a teenager to a bad final final fantasy: denial. I forced myself to like it then put it safely away a drawer for the next 20 years.

Yep it's been downhill since 8... I wouldn't be sad to see a real final final fantasy at this point.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Stop listening to Conan, a man who doesn't even like RPGs and shittalks WRPGs equally. Besides which, the 72 hours was a mistake, they meant 72 in-game hours and FF XV's ingame clock doesn't operate on a 1:1 scale with real life.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Stop listening to Conan, a man who doesn't even like RPGs and shittalks WRPGs equally. Besides which, the 72 hours was a mistake, they meant 72 in-game hours and FF XV's ingame clock doesn't operate on a 1:1 scale with real life.

Conan loved The Witcher 3 though.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nanomashoes posted:

Conan loved The Witcher 3 though.

Nobody should take you or Conan o'Brien seriously when it comes to videogames.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Veib posted:

Cecil is 20, Kain is 21, Rosa is 19.

e: The only playable character in his 30s is Yang.

Hmm, weird. I remembered them as being older. Probably because they acted like adults and had consistent motivations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

aegof posted:

Except maybe the jargon, (which never actually bothered me, somehow,) this stuff was my favorite part of FF13, and I was pretty excited to see how it all ended up.
Yeah, I was disappointed, but I appreciated the tension while it lasted.

Oh don't get me wrong. You can definitely have tensions and secret agendas and betrayals but they to go somewhere.

Suikoden II and FFT are these things done right. Especially Tactics. You just can't have your cake and eat it too like XIII. Where these tensions exist and it still ends in a friendship is magic theme

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

none of those ages are in the text so they may as well be fan fiction

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

El Generico posted:

I liked 13 and 14, so the main series is on a roll for me. 13's sequels are trash though.

13 annoyed me because characters had such ridiculous motivations. It also feels like it takes too long to actually begin. By that I mean you're 10 hours in your party still isn't united and it's still slowly rolling out new mechanics.
The game finally feels like it's started when you get to Pulse and by that point I was pretty much done.

I only played it really recently on the PC and I just suddenly stopped because it had annoyed me so much. I didn't hate Vanille or Fang or whatever like lots of other people do but I definitely hated Snow and his stupid smug insufferableness. And Hope hating Snow and coming along anyway felt like something from a tacky anime.

I played FF6 much later than the other games, on an emulator. I remember being around 15 and reading an article in a gaming magazine about it (when it was called Final Fantasy 3) but it being impossible to buy in the UK. I really disliked it. More than anything else the encounter rate felt ridiculously high to me and that annoyed me.
I had the same feeling with FF9 but not so much with 8 and 7.

Sure the world might have been interesting and having the world of ruin was cool but being constantly interrupted by fights was just too much for me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Conan loved The Witcher 3's tits though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Final Fantasy was always bad

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nanomashoes posted:

Who wants to play a boyband road trip game that is also an in depth RPG where you fight a boss for 72 real time hours? The game just doesn't mesh, stylistically or conceptually.

Not really for this thread but it spawned this idea,

Change it from boy band to late 60s pop band, let me solve mysteries while managing internal band drama and external concerns like practices schedules and gigs, and let's go ahead and allow for chargen and costume customization. I would buy it.

Instead, I'm probably going to buy Final Fantasy XV for swords and magic in a modern aesthetic and then remember I'm playing a JRPG and not get more than five hours in.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Nanomashoes posted:

an in depth RPG where you fight a boss for 72 real time hours?

I played Final Fantasy XI for years (Diabolos represent) so this is old hat.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Taear posted:

13 annoyed me because characters had such ridiculous motivations. It also feels like it takes too long to actually begin. By that I mean you're 10 hours in your party still isn't united and it's still slowly rolling out new mechanics.
The game finally feels like it's started when you get to Pulse and by that point I was pretty much done.

I only played it really recently on the PC and I just suddenly stopped because it had annoyed me so much. I didn't hate Vanille or Fang or whatever like lots of other people do but I definitely hated Snow and his stupid smug insufferableness. And Hope hating Snow and coming along anyway felt like something from a tacky anime.

I played FF6 much later than the other games, on an emulator. I remember being around 15 and reading an article in a gaming magazine about it (when it was called Final Fantasy 3) but it being impossible to buy in the UK. I really disliked it. More than anything else the encounter rate felt ridiculously high to me and that annoyed me.
I had the same feeling with FF9 but not so much with 8 and 7.

Sure the world might have been interesting and having the world of ruin was cool but being constantly interrupted by fights was just too much for me.

FF13 was really bad but Hope was pretty cool so I gotta say this: did you miss the part where Hope says he's gonna get revenge on the guy who got his mother killed and then Lightning is like cool, and gives him a knife to stab him with? That's literally the reason why he tags along.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
I've only really played 11 and 14, but I enjoyed them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

piL posted:

Not really for this thread but it spawned this idea,

Change it from boy band to late 60s pop band, let me solve mysteries while managing internal band drama and external concerns like practices schedules and gigs, and let's go ahead and allow for chargen and costume customization. I would buy it.

Instead, I'm probably going to buy Final Fantasy XV for swords and magic in a modern aesthetic and then remember I'm playing a JRPG and not get more than five hours in.

But what if they start kissing each other?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Let me influence the decision and I'll prefer it, but I'd buy it anyway.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

chumbler posted:

But what if they start kissing each other?

I break out the victory beer.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I thought some of the post apocalypse stuff in 6 was sad and cool. That whole game has something really interesting going on visually, it's steeped in nostalgia and theatricality. A couple games after that the whole thing just got too convoluted and goofy-looking to retain my interest i guess. But those little japanese toybox super artificial worlds of the earlier games still speak to me for some reason even if im not interested in playing them again. I think the appeal of this type of game is less how it plays and more about having a huuuuuuge amount of handcrafted content to hoover up as you explore the world really.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Jenner posted:

So what happened to Final Fantasy? Well, here's my diagnosis.

I feel the series really started to get its bearings with FF4 and reached its pinnacle with FF6, which is the best game in the series (fight me IRL.) And that the series loses its vision, goes off the rails, and completely jumps the shark with FF7. (There is a brief reprieve with FF9, the third best game in the series, before it goes right back to being either aggressively mediocre or downright lovely.)

FF6 is good, FF9 sucks, and the FF series reached its peak with FFX-2

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
thread title should be "what happened to JRPGs". imagine conan playing an atelier title or neptunia. at least FF is making some attempt to be palatable to a wider audience

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jrpgs are good, and ffxv is the best of them all

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people on this forum actually like FF XII. The story is sleep-inducing and derivative, the main character is pointless, the combat was automated away rather than made actually fun; I hated virtually everything about that game and still consider it one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. To be fair it looks gorgeous though.

It's doubly annoying to me given that the best FF game, Tactics, was set in the same world and Ivalice deserved a better game.

IMO there's a better question than the OP: why the gently caress aren't we getting more FFT games?! The last thing the world needs is another open-world RPG with bad combat mechanics IMO, we're definitely lacking for good SRPGs on consoles though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

thorsilver posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people on this forum actually like FF XII. The story is sleep-inducing and derivative, the main character is pointless, the combat was automated away rather than made actually fun; I hated virtually everything about that game and still consider it one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. To be fair it looks gorgeous though.

It's doubly annoying to me given that the best FF game, Tactics, was set in the same world and Ivalice deserved a better game.

IMO there's a better question than the OP: why the gently caress aren't we getting more FFT games?! The last thing the world needs is another open-world RPG with bad combat mechanics IMO, we're definitely lacking for good SRPGs on consoles though.

12 was initially made by Matsuno before he left the company. He also made FFT and FFTA which you seem to adore but considering he doesn't work at Square anymore and he's pretty much The Guy Who Does Isometric Tactics RPGs, it's safe to say that the FF Tactics franchise is dead.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

thorsilver posted:

12 is good, though

thorsilver posted:

Have you heard the good news about Vagrant Story?

Vagrant Story exists, and is the best Menus-In-Ivalice simulator since Final Fantasy Tactics!

thorsilver posted:

IMO there's a better question than the OP: why the gently caress aren't we getting more FFT games?!

There was only one good FFT and all three sold far less than contemporary mainline games. The first on PSOne sold leagues better than the other two, which is also why it got a re-release on Vita and Mobile. I think at best the two Advance titles get mentions in other games, and ironically FF12 provides the most connections to Advance with the races that appeared in those games and not in the original.

There's also a cellphone game that died in like one year in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Matsuno also made Vagrant Story so we should all accept that him attempting to make a mainline FF game actually crushed his spirit and deprived us of his works to this very day

• Locked thread