Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I believe all the nation-forming ideas now give you the choice of either keeping your ideas or taking new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok rad I just formed France and kept all my custom ideas. New problem though: my estates are angry that they don't have enough land but I've lost the button to give them land. Also I was expecting all french culture to be accepted but it's not.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Speaking of estates, they give bonuses to provinces (along with a 25% autonomy floor). So when handing out provinces a good rule of thumb is:

1. If its a trade center, important estuary, etc (any province with a trade bonus) give it to the bourgoisie
2. If you plan on building a fort, give it to the nobility
3. If you just cored a bunch of high autonomy land (especially if there's revolt risk or heathens or heretics) give it to the clergy.....then when autonomy decays and you have new conquered poor troublesome lands, give it to the clergy and revoke their old lands.

I like to keep them at the minimum amount of land they need to be content

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Why is it that increasing development in your own provinces reduces estates' land ownership percentage, but when you develop their provinces the percentage remains unchanged?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

snoremac posted:

Why is it that increasing development in your own provinces reduces estates' land ownership percentage, but when you develop their provinces the percentage remains unchanged?

It doesn't though. I've bumped them back over the threshold by developing their land plenty of times. It doesn't update the percentage right away though, you have to wait til the end of the month for the "not enough land" notification to go away.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Wafflecopper posted:

It doesn't though. I've bumped them back over the threshold by developing their land plenty of times. It doesn't update the percentage right away though, you have to wait til the end of the month for the "not enough land" notification to go away.

drat. Yeah, I did it all while paused and re-loaded my ironman backup when it didn't change. I've since given away some land I didn't need to. At least they were crappy provinces.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Ok rad I just formed France and kept all my custom ideas. New problem though: my estates are angry that they don't have enough land but I've lost the button to give them land. Also I was expecting all french culture to be accepted but it's not.

You can't give territories to estates, if that's your problem. Unless you just mean you lost the entire tab where you can give them to them, and there is a button for that on the province page.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Starting as Austria, why do i get 87 AE for declaring war on Hungary WITH a CB?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is it a Restoration of Union CB, I remember there being some special nasty poo poo with that CB and AE. I almost never play as a Christian so I don't ever get to use that CB and I am probably wrong.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any pro strats for Byzantium in 1.19? The new hotness I hear is restarting until Hungary allies Albania (which seems to be fairly common) and making an alliance of small states (Serbia, Wallachia, etc) to jump the OE after they've worn themselves out vs. Hungary a bit. This sounds more reliable than the old "try to ally P-L and get them to do everything for you" strat. Any other ideas?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 21, 2016

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Maybe this is old news, but the AI can be very dumb at war. I'm currently just laying back rebuilding my vanquished army while Tunis darts back and forth between two provinces that are reverting back to me because of fort zone control.

Actually, now that I think about it, they did ask for a white peace which I refused, so maybe they don't wish to push any further (they're not much stonger than me now and much weaker when I'm at full strength) so maybe this is just them twiddling their thumbs.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Also I was expecting all french culture to be accepted but it's not.

Cultural unions are no longer a thing, instead any country that reaches empire rank will accept all cultures in the culture group their primary culture belongs. to.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Baron Porkface posted:

Starting as Austria, why do i get 87 AE for declaring war on Hungary WITH a CB?

Do you have a truce or something? There's no way you should be getting that much AE just for declaring. You shouldn't get ANY AE for declaring with a CB. Normally the only way to get that much is to take a whole lot of land at once in a peace deal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drakhoran posted:

Cultural unions are no longer a thing, instead any country that reaches empire rank will accept all cultures in the culture group their primary culture belongs. to.
And since the Byzantines start off as an Empire, if they culture switch to Turkish they get all of that accepted culture :psyduck:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how likely is ming to implode around 1600. i'm a pretty powerful japan but the game crashed and when i reloaded they rivaled me and i'm afraid of their 90k troops and crazy force limit. no institutions have come close to spreading over here except for colonialism which i got from an event

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oddium posted:

how likely is ming to implode around 1600. i'm a pretty powerful japan but the game crashed and when i reloaded they rivaled me and i'm afraid of their 90k troops and crazy force limit. no institutions have come close to spreading over here except for colonialism which i got from an event

You don't have to be all that worried about Ming, they fight like garbage, and Japan's ideas put them close to Prussia in terms of military power.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

oddium posted:

Pretty likely, but pressuring them will help. Pirate their poo poo, spy on them, diplomatically isolate them if you can manage it. They shouldn't be able to match you at sea so if you do run into trouble with them, smash their fleet and blockade.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is a vassal at 100% liberty desire seconds away from fighting for independence? Aragon supported Portugal's independence the moment my (Morocco) troop count plummeted in a war. I currently have 11k troops, Aragon have 26k, Portugal have 2k. I'm allied with the Ottomans, if that means anything, and have no other vassals. 2 months have passed since 100% LD was reached. I can't afford to buy mercenaries to scare Portugal off right now - I've already got about a dozen loans and the maintenance costs would bury me. I can only wait patiently for a few years for my manpower to recover so I can recruit new troops, or at least that's the only thing I can think of. Is an independence war imminent?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have a load of DLC and did a tutorial and I kinda want to to have chinamerica, is this a good or bad idea for my first serious pop at this? Would also accept japanamerica or koreamerica.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'd still suggest Portugal or Castile first since the tutorial isn't exactly that great, but if you think you got it figured out you might not have too much trouble as Korea. Japan and Ming are a little wonky for new players so I wouldn't recommend them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xinder posted:

I'd still suggest Portugal or Castile first since the tutorial isn't exactly that great, but if you think you got it figured out you might not have too much trouble as Korea. Japan and Ming are a little wonky for new players so I wouldn't recommend them.

Right. I guess something that's the equivalent of ireland or the soviets would be good, those'd be Portugal or Castille?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

spectralent posted:

Right. I guess something that's the equivalent of ireland or the soviets would be good, those'd be Portugal or Castille?

Ottomans is good training ground for warfare since you're too large and powerful to collapse after mistakes, Portugal and Castile (mostly Portugal, imo) for the friendly and safe colonizing gameplay style.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

snoremac posted:

Is a vassal at 100% liberty desire seconds away from fighting for independence? Aragon supported Portugal's independence the moment my (Morocco) troop count plummeted in a war. I currently have 11k troops, Aragon have 26k, Portugal have 2k. I'm allied with the Ottomans, if that means anything, and have no other vassals. 2 months have passed since 100% LD was reached. I can't afford to buy mercenaries to scare Portugal off right now - I've already got about a dozen loans and the maintenance costs would bury me. I can only wait patiently for a few years for my manpower to recover so I can recruit new troops, or at least that's the only thing I can think of. Is an independence war imminent?
Probably. But if Portugal has low manpower, debt and/or war exhaustion it's going to take longer I think.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

snoremac posted:

Maybe. For the purpose of liberty desire the game only considers the strength of a vassal and its allies vs your strength, but the AI will usually also assess the strength of your alliances before declaring war. If you've managed to snag alliances with the likes of the Ottomans or France that might scare them off. They will also be unlikely declare war while having high war exhaustion/debt and if they still have a truce with you from the subjugation war you have until the end of the truce to build up your strength.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

How do I get favours? I was angling to smash the muslim bit of spain as an opening move but my allies all won't help because they have too few favours and I don't want to risk soloing all of north africa.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

spectralent posted:

How do I get favours? I was angling to smash the muslim bit of spain as an opening move but my allies all won't help because they have too few favours and I don't want to risk soloing all of north africa.

Wait or help them in their wars.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wait. If you mouseover the favors interface (hidden in the diplo screen) it'll show you how many years you wait to gain a favor. It's generally 1 if you are more powerful than the ally, 2 or 3 if you're weaker.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You get a favor every X years as long as they "join offensive wars" box is ticked. X depends on how powerful you are relative to your ally. If you're equal or more powerful, it will be 1, and if you're less powerful it will be higher. The best way to get favors, though, is to either answer their calls to arms, or call them into your own wars and give them more territory than they expect.

Specifically, you can easily take on Granada by yourself, even if they're allied with all the Maghreb nations. Your starting navy should be enough to crush theirs, so all you have to do is park yours next to Gibraltar and they'll never be able to touch you. Calling in Portugal here would actually be a mistake, because they'd just get their holding in Ceuta sieged down.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

snoremac posted:

Vassals act like any other AI nation, in that they'll attack opportunistically. If their side would be stronger than yours, then a war is imminent. Your alliance with the Ottomans will probably keep them scared for a while, but definitely focus on rebuilding. If you have a lot of prestige, I'd suggest dumping that into trying to placate Portugal.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Oh huh, okay. So I can take Granada and Morocco and all the other places? Morocco has like a 15k stack, Grenada has 7k, I've only got 20k or so overall and I don't know how much their other allies have. Are Spanish troops just much better, or something?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

spectralent posted:

Oh huh, okay. So I can take Granada and Morocco and all the other places? Morocco has like a 15k stack, Grenada has 7k, I've only got 20k or so overall and I don't know how much their other allies have. Are Spanish troops just much better, or something?

It doesn't really matter how many troops Morocco has if they can't get to you. If you siege down Granada and keep the strait blockaded (plus make sure to hunt down any transports) then you'll get 100% after five years, no matter how much Morrocan land there is left.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

Morocco has to get those troops to Iberia to do anything. If your fleets can block them then you don't have to worry about them all at once.

Edit: ^^ yeah

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I don't know how Great Britain, in 1560, managed to become Holy Roman Emperor despite being Catholic and most electors being Protestant, but it sure is interesting. Whatever they did, I want to do it too! (I'm Spain.)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tsyni posted:

Morocco has to get those troops to Iberia to do anything. If your fleets can block them then you don't have to worry about them all at once.

Edit: ^^ yeah

Oooooh.

So do I just assign my botes to the strait for that?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

spectralent posted:

Oooooh.

Just move them to the sea area the strait crosses and leave them there. Units can't cross a strait as long as at least one enemy ship is in the sea zone it crosses. As a side note, do not let the enemy have control of both sides of the strait, because then they can ignore your ships and cross anyway.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

Oooooh.

Yes. As long as they don't control (either own or have sieged) both sides of the strait (in which case they can bypass your blockade) then you can stop them from walking across. They can still use transports if they have a fleet in a different zone. They often won't have enough transports to bring everyone across at once, so you can defeat them as they come in transport ships sometimes.

edit: late again, smh

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Guessing the north african duder's navies are poo poo?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

Guessing the north african duder's navies are poo poo?

Morocco can have a decent navy, actually. If you're against Morocco and Tunis and Grenada then you might have some issues if it's just Castile vs all of them. You can look at navies in the ledger screen.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tsyni posted:

Morocco can have a decent navy, actually. If you're against Morocco and Tunis and Grenada then you might have some issues if it's just Castile vs all of them. You can look at navies in the ledger screen.

Hm, it is. What's my game plan here, am I just screwed?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I believe the actual Strait of Gibraltar doesn't count as an inland sea, so Tunis and friends' galleys won't do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

Hm, it is. What's my game plan here, am I just screwed?

It's hard to say without seeing the numbers. If you were to call in Portugal and then siege Jabal Tariq you'd still be able to block armies from crossing the strait (even if they sieged the portugese province on the other side), and your navy combined with Portugal should be able to handle them. You might be able to handle them by yourself, it's hard to say without knowing the size of the navies. Heavy ships are definitely much tougher than galleys.

• Locked thread