Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's been a while, but I'm itching to do a new LP and I've been wanting to one for Anachronox for ages. Just very straightforward, me talking about what might be my all-time favorite game. I threw up a fragment of video I've done so far just to be sure that if anyone sees something important I could be fixing before I get a backlog done, I haven't wasted a lot of time.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

It's been a while, but I'm itching to do a new LP and I've been wanting to one for Anachronox for ages. Just very straightforward, me talking about what might be my all-time favorite game. I threw up a fragment of video I've done so far just to be sure that if anyone sees something important I could be fixing before I get a backlog done, I haven't wasted a lot of time.

Warning: the final boss is unbeatable on modern systems. Yes, even with the GoG version. I'm not sure of the exact cause, but in essence it moves too fast - getting too many turns and preventing you from winning.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
While requiring specifying vlp or sslp in the thread title is a waste of valuable character space, adding a second tag for it would be great because then people could use it as a filter when they only want to see one type or the other.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Warning: the final boss is unbeatable on modern systems. Yes, even with the GoG version. I'm not sure of the exact cause, but in essence it moves too fast - getting too many turns and preventing you from winning.

I think I've beaten the game on my current PC... but I'll do a rush playthrough just to be sure, thanks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

davidspackage posted:

I think I've beaten the game on my current PC... but I'll do a rush playthrough just to be sure, thanks.
Good luck. I couldn't manage to finish the game due to the aforementioned issue, so I'm looking forward to the LP.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Why can't you just download a save from right before it?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Arbite posted:

Maybe to see if there are any other trouble spots?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Stuff like that is usually caused by the speed of modern CPUs compared to older systems, and there are programs you can download to artificially limit that speed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arbite posted:

Eh, I had a save still very late into the game.

I hurried through to the end just now, could finish it without gamestopping bugs. It is a glitchy game on newer systems, no doubt, but workable.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I remember seeing some kind of image size rules for portraits and images, but cant remember what they were, can someone tell me?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MythosDragon posted:

I remember seeing some kind of image size rules for portraits and images, but cant remember what they were, can someone tell me?

The only hard-and-fast rule is that if you want your LP archived, images should be 900px or narrower due to lparchive.org's layout. Otherwise it mostly depends on what looks and reads well. For portraits, err towards smaller sizes; 40x40 to 64x64 is a pretty decent range.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There really aren't any hard and fast rules, mostly that the archive deals in 900 px wide at most. You can go bigger, but they'll be downsized when they get archived, and you probably don't want to go bigger than a 720p image because at that point 50+ of those in a single update will just be a pain to scroll through, not to mention people on mobile or who don't have their internet browser of choice fullscreened. Portraits and talking heads should be as small as you can make them while still be recognizable as the character. I use somewhere between 50x50 and 75x75 as a baseline, and smaller is better, especially if you have a lot of dialogue to transcribe.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Artix posted:

Smaller is better, especially if you have a lot of dialogue to transcribe.

Small as possible it is.

Thanks both of you.

Edit: Are OPs considered the harder parts to write? Or am I just really bad at this?

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 24, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It depends. I've revised mines a handful of times already, so I'm the type of person to struggle on an OP too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^
true. it depends on what game you're LPing.

I've written OPs that are basically novellas and ones that are also fairly short. How much information do you feel you need to give your audience right up front?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The questions I always try to answer with my OPs are: "What is this game" (IE when did it come out, for what platforms, did people like it), "why am I LPing it", "can people talk spoilers", and "how does the LP work" if it's in a weird non-standard format. Usually I just paraphrase from Wikipedia for the first one because I'm lazy. I generally find it easier to start with broad strokes like that and then narrow it down if I wanna get specific about it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The OP is only about 4000 characters but took me nearly 4 hours to finally get to a point where its ready to be posted. But I think it has all the info it needs for now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any way to get rid of spam/phishing comments posted under the music you uploaded on tindeck, other than by moving to another service entirely?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

MythosDragon posted:

The OP is only about 4000 characters but took me nearly 4 hours to finally get to a point where its ready to be posted. But I think it has all the info it needs for now.

As long as you've got the basics down, OP's never have to be too fancy.

If you have any interesting trivia or facts or anything about the game, sometimes you can save those for parts of the LP where you don't have too much commentary on what's going on and you don't want it to get too sparse. Silence isn't the worst thing either, though, so just go with whatever style you think looks best and people seem to enjoy.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I actually ran into technical difficulties with the actual recording(My computer is terrible) and I had a bit of an anxiety attack so I've decided to shelf it for the time being. Thanks for all the help, and sorry to disappoint but atleast I'm all set if I want to try again later.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-snip-

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I decided to try my hand at lping, and did a blind-run of Toonstruck to see how much I liked the process. I think the end result turned out pretty good, so I'm gonna actually post the lp instead of quietly deleting it. Can someone take a look at the first video and let me know if the audio levels on it are fine? I still need to do a polishing pass where I bring down parts of the commentary that are blowing out the levels, and take out loud pops, but I'm worried the parts where I talk low are too low to easily make out, because that is gonna be a pain in the rear end to fix if that's the case. I'll take any other criticism too, but I might not be able to incorporate it into the lp at this point.

https://youtu.be/NuYUfsnT0yU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

So, I thought that my PC was super-boss, but turns out it's not quiiiiiiite boss enough to do the full 60fps 720p thing. I'm still experimenting with recording footage, but I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out. Anything else jump out? And before I forget, I'll make sure subtitles are turned on for future episodes.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 29, 2016

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

*DELETED* not the place for interest checks.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 29, 2016

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Since nobody better has posted about your Toonstruck video, I thought I'd bring up a couple things. I'll admit this is really a viewer's point of view rather than an LPer's advice, but I figured it might be wanted anyway.

I like that you're not talking over the introduction, but if it's long enough (Which I'd guess you think it is, as you're complaining about the length of it before it's even over) then it might be better to put it in its own video and then make the start of the actual game its own update. If you're not happy with a ten minute video that is just a cutscene, you could also put in a rundown of what the game actually is or something, how your updates are going to go, that sort of thing?

You already realised that your voice isn't always completely clear, but it's not a huge issue unless it gets much quieter than the video you've posted. A couple points near the end have you mumbling about Bricabrac, but even then you can still kinda make it out.

Apart from that though, I dunno. I mean, you're immediately trying to be funnier than the game, and given it's an eclectic cartoon-logic adventure game, you might want to let it speak for itself sometimes rather than trying to rip into it at the first sight of a giant talking foot. If you try to call out every dumb thing the game does before it has the chance to do something with it (like complain about the lack of a portable hole) it's going to be a very long LP.

Out of curiousity: When you talk to the Footman, are you intentionally being dumb about the conversation options? It's "breaking the ice". Similarly, but unrelated: how long until you understood the connection between sugar and spice?

And also because it's an adventure game, it's not really the best choice for a blind LP. You kind of want to know what you're doing, so you know what to show off, and you don't end up doing nothing and going nowhere for five minutes at a time, or have to edit out a bunch of backtracking all the time when you do things wildly out of order. It's entirely reasonable to do these kinds of games with a guide on hand just in case, and some of the logic in this game definitely requires a particularly special kind of thinking. Like the squirrel puzzle. I admit it might be interesting to see someone try to fit these things together in real time, but only if they actually do get there in the end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

wondering if perhaps there was any interest for

The OP of this thread posted:

Don't post an interest check. If you don't know what that is, read this whole post.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

oh, drat. Well remove that one then.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you want to consider games that people are interested in, check out the requests thread.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Hey, thanks for the interest and the confirmation that the levels were probably as good as they're gonna get. I'm going to take the lack of any other responses to mean that nothing else in the video is horrible enough to comment on, so I think I'll get this up later today.

quote:

Apart from that though, I dunno. I mean, you're immediately trying to be funnier than the game, and given it's an eclectic cartoon-logic adventure game, you might want to let it speak for itself sometimes rather than trying to rip into it at the first sight of a giant talking foot. If you try to call out every dumb thing the game does before it has the chance to do something with it (like complain about the lack of a portable hole) it's going to be a very long LP.

Like I said, I can't really take into consideration stuff like this because the LP is finished, but I definitely do have some work to do in learning how to commentate and play the game for an audience and play the game well enough to continue all at the same time, but I think I get better at it as I go along. I start the game just vocalizing every thought that comes into my head, and I know it makes me look a little bad at times, but it's the only way to improve at it.

quote:

Out of curiousity: When you talk to the Footman, are you intentionally being dumb about the conversation options? It's "breaking the ice". Similarly, but unrelated: how long until you understood the connection between sugar and spice?

Uh, I guess I can see that breaking the ice is probably what they were going for, but the ice cube looks like it's melting, not broken, and I never made the connection, so I'd argue that, like many things in the game, it's a kind of a half-assed execution of the idea. I don't remember when I look at the blueprints again, but it's not something I get stuck on.

quote:

some of the logic in this game definitely requires a particularly special kind of thinking. Like the squirrel puzzle.I admit it might be interesting to see someone try to fit these things together in real time, but only if they actually do get there in the end.

The bolded part is the exact reason I like blind LPs. I think seeing someone going through the game and trying to figure everything out from scratch tells a lot more about the design of the game then seeing someone go through planned routes that just show the solutions to everything. I also think it's interesting seeing how other people than me react to games that I played. It's fascinating to see someone struggle on a puzzle that I was fine with, and then blow through something I struggled on. You giving the squirrel puzzle as a crazy puzzle is a good example of this, because I thought the squirrel puzzle was really straight forward once you had the items for it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maybe Dont record the whole thing then ask for feedback on part 1

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Testposting for a Dropsy thread, any feedback on OP or first video?

*Gurgling noise*

I'm glad that you asked! Dropsy is a point and click game born out of a CYOA thread on this very site, created by Jay Tholen. After popular appeal, Tholen took that idea and with the help of Jesse Bull, David Walton, and Chris Schlarb, created a real adventure game out of the plot. Published by Devolver Digital, it is hailed as an unsung gem of adventure games.

*Bob up and down repeatedly*

You've heard correctly, this is an adventure game with zero dialogue, only pictures and emoticons. There is the rare garbled sentance, but it is intentionally gibberish. Dropsy communicates entirely through body movements, including body flailing and hugs!

*Slightly creepy smile*
Yes, hugs! Because that is the real objective of the game, to hug everyone and every thing possible. People, animals, trees, rocks, everything.

*Wiggly arms*
This will be a blind run with vocal commentary, with a current schedule of a 10-15 minute episode per weekday. I will announce any changes to the schedule on here and on my Twitter, @Dreamshipwreck. Since this is a blind run we are having a strict "no spoilers" rule. Please keep it fun for everyone else.

I am also happy to say that Jay Tholen has expressed interest in this LP and may be dropping in to the thread to provide some backdrop to the adventure. If you have any questions for him, feel free to post!

And with that, let's *slightly damp hug*!

Episode 1: Press X To Hug

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 2, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Real minor nitpick - I'd change "And with that, let's *slightly damp hug*!"

to

*slightly damp hug*

and just drop the extra text, keeping with the theme.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

StrixNebulosa posted:

Real minor nitpick - I'd change "And with that, let's *slightly damp hug*!"

to

*slightly damp hug*

and just drop the extra text, keeping with the theme.

I'll take care of that, thank you!

Since I don't hear any other pressing concerns, I'm going to throw the thread up for the weekend. Thanks!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800330

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
This is going to sound stupid, but can we not use webms for the OP of an LP? The Turning Point thread barely loads for me because there's like 6 webms running all at once in the OP. It makes me feel like I'm in the 56k era again. :smith:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Welcome to the future

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

Welcome to the future

The future loving sucks. Is there a firefox plugin that disables autoplay at least?

EDIT: Found one, Flashblocker.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 9, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Noscript and set it to block webms.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly checking Audio levels and otherwise I think everything looks fine? Don't really have a thread title either if there are any suggestions out there.

Welcome to the 15th Final Fantasy, or have there been more than that, I've lost count.

Perhaps you've heard of this series, but if not, Final Fantasy(FF) is a RPG series spanning several decades and consoles, all taking place in different fictional universes. Final Fantasy 15, originally Final Fantasy 13-Versus, is not exactly a game that came out on time. It was originally intended to be an offshoot of FF13, but with all the fan criticisms of FF13, and the horrible mess that was FF14 on launch, the game was put into a development limbo for a while. Eventually what came out, 10 years after it was shown to the public, was Final Fantasy 15.

What is this game

If you played any of the previous games(Barring the mmo's), the series has typically been menu-driven RPG's, but that whole idea was tossed out the window here. What we have is much more of a Character-Action game, with RPG elements. Positioning, timing attacks, quicktime events are all things that are going on here, all wrapped up in the too-many-belts-and-weird-character-design that Final Fantasy is known for.

The game itself follows Prince Noctis, who is on the road to go and get married to the Oracle Lunafreya in order to help stabilize the world politically. Joining him on the trip are his 3 Best buds, Gladiolus, Prompto, and Ignus. The game expects some things from the players on the story front however, as Square-Enix made it not so clear that to understand what is going on in the story, or who the characters are, you need to watch Brotherhood: Final Fantasy 15, an Anime and Kingsglaive Final Fantasy 15, a Movie. These cover parts of the story that are seemingly missing from the game, and introduce the main characters in a "well this is how we met and became buds" kind of way.

The LP

Joining me is my bud, Zarin, as we make our way through the roadtrip land of FF15. I've been a fan of the series for a long time, and have beaten nearly all of the mainline FF games, while Zarin fell off around the transition to PS2. The other thing you should know, is we are both going into the game blind, I know basically nothing outside of watching the anime, and some pre-release trailers. So please, :siren:No spoilers:siren:

Videos

The Tutorial
Episode #1: Out of cash

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's a loud buzzing when one of you is talking, it sounds like an attempt at noise removal gone wrong. Other than that, I didn't notice anything particularly offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Artix posted:

There's a loud buzzing when one of you is talking, it sounds like an attempt at noise removal gone wrong. Other than that, I didn't notice anything particularly offensive.

its actually the PS4 getting picked up by my mic while its spinning the disc, unfortunately nothing I tried made it better.