Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Everyone needs to watch The 13th on Netflix. It's infuriating and incredible.

I really enjoyed The 13th, but I had some issues with it. It covers a LOT of subject matter in a relatively short time frame and glosses over some stuff. There's also the weaselly Republican guy with the glasses who just keeps denying everything. There was no reason to have him in the film other than as an obvious straw man.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for documentaries on criminal law? Specifically, I'm interested in the Insanity Defense and its reform in 1984.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Zwabu posted:

Most of you have probably seen it by now, but PBS' "The Choice" for 2016, lengthy biography of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump (they do this for every U.S. Presidential election now) is up on YouTube and it's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7uScWHcTzk

Link is down for me but this one works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BNLvz_5YM

It's interesting in the first few minutes to realize that Obama destroyed the GOP by mocking Trump publicly and unwittingly goaded him into revenge-running for prez.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Zwabu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

"Chasing Bubbles" is a documentary about a young guy, a floor trader in Chicago, who chucks everything, his job, all his stuff, his life, to buy a sailboat, learn to sail, and then sail around the globe visiting different lands and their people, with a crew of various friends and complete strangers that he picked up along the way.

Even if you aren't into sailing at all, it's a good picture of a guy infected with wanderlust and the need to explore and adventure in the world and the effect that he had on the people around him.

This was pretty good when I watched it a while ago. Sad ending though :smith:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Eien Ni Hen posted:

I really enjoyed The 13th, but I had some issues with it. It covers a LOT of subject matter in a relatively short time frame and glosses over some stuff.

I kind of agree. It was definitely a good film, and could introduce a lot of events/concepts to people new to the topic. I found it a little basic though, and it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.

But that's coming from someone who devours every civil-rights/racism/prison industry article or doc they can find.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus, 20 minutes into An Open Secret and I've already got chills, this is hosed up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I saw a news story that Bob Hoover died on Tuesday. He is one of the greatest fighter pilots of all time (he once proved that a barrel roll was a 1G maneuver by pouring a glass of tea backhanded, on camera, as he flew the maneuver, and another time he performed banned maneuvers in a soviet fighter jet during an exhibition in Russia which nearly got him collared by the KGB except he happened to have befriended Uri Gagarin the first man in space, who helped him escape), and there's a documentary about him that I'd like to watch, anybody know where I can stream it online?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcNnSSTXJak

http://www.thebobhooverproject.com/

Here's a longer video which has clips from teh documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pty3a-VQojw

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 26, 2016

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Somebody managed to track down one of Adam Curtis's earliest films, which hasn't appeared online before, and has uploaded it to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqL0giCY6NE

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
"Nobody jumped that day, ... we don't say that they jumped, nobody jumped" - 9/11: The Falling Man, Hulu

:stare:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Audrie and Daisy is a really good doc. The Sheriff in Daisy's county is right up there with the Manitowoc folks in terms of being a despicable piece of poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New volcano documentary by Werner Herzog up on Netflix. Images are amazing, as could be expected.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

MonsieurChoc posted:

New volcano documentary by Werner Herzog up on Netflix. Images are amazing, as could be expected.

Yeah it was good and really beautiful. I even liked the long North Korea tangent he went on.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sportsgenius86 posted:

Audrie and Daisy is a really good doc. The Sheriff in Daisy's county is right up there with the Manitowoc folks in terms of being a despicable piece of poo poo.

Its very good but very frightening

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Popelmon posted:

Yeah it was good and really beautiful. I even liked the long North Korea tangent he went on.
I was a bit surprised that this movie was already available to watch. When you said "tangent", I figured you just meant that Herzog started talking about North Korea for a little while, similar to how he started going on about black magic or whatever in Encounters at the End of the World.

No no, it turns out Herzog straight up went to North Korea and filmed there. :stare:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I was a bit surprised that this movie was already available to watch. When you said "tangent", I figured you just meant that Herzog started talking about North Korea for a little while, similar to how he started going on about black magic or whatever in Encounters at the End of the World.

No no, it turns out Herzog straight up went to North Korea and filmed there. :stare:

Yea.... that was... well he didnt ask too many questions that he shouldnt

Watch red chapel btw, if you want someone who asks questions like you tought herzog would in nk

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Not super surprising Herzog got in and had little trouble, The Kim dynasty is nothing if not really, really into movies and filmography and well-known, award-winning directors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abduction_of_Shin_Sang-ok_and_Choi_Eun-hee
I imagine that someone with the brand recognition of Herzog would probably get carried around on a litter with a squad of soldiers following them around to make sure no civilians get too close and let their smell rub off on him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As if anyone could stop Herzog, the man who dragged a boat on top of a mountain for poo poo and giggles (and an amazing movie).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MonsieurChoc posted:

As if anyone could stop Herzog, the man who dragged a boat on top of a mountain for poo poo and giggles (and an amazing movie).

Oh dang, I didn't know Herzog made Man in the Wilderness!!

:laugh:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm coming here out of nowhere to plug this excellent PBS Nova documentary on that Dover, PA case some 10 years or so ago where Christian fundamentalists tried and failed to force evolution out of the local school curriculum. It's superbly detailed one, good enough to be used in a classroom as teaching material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xyrel-2vI

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 6, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kurzon posted:

I'm coming here out of nowhere to plug this excellent PBS Nova documentary on that Dover, PA case some 10 years or so ago where Christian fundamentalists tried and failed to force evolution out of the local school curriculum. It's superbly detailed one, good enough to be used in a classroom as teaching material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xyrel-2vI

This sounds awesome, thanks for posting it, I'll definitely be checking it out soon.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Are people talking about Planet Earth II anywhere, because the premier episode this weekend was incredible. There's about 4 sequences that had me on the edge of my seat, for a nature documentary - one involving snakes that you couldn't choreograph to be more intense.

e: although I was a little bummed that the 'Islands' episode didn't touch on island gigantism at all.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 8, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This is a pretty rollicking good time of a run through Robert Anton Wilson's mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7N6TOFyrLg

check out his explanation of quantum mechanics around 11 minutes

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coyo7e posted:

Not super surprising Herzog got in and had little trouble, The Kim dynasty is nothing if not really, really into movies and filmography and well-known, award-winning directors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abduction_of_Shin_Sang-ok_and_Choi_Eun-hee
I imagine that someone with the brand recognition of Herzog would probably get carried around on a litter with a squad of soldiers following them around to make sure no civilians get too close and let their smell rub off on him.

Or he uses some skills he teaches in his film school - forging filming permits

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
I don't watch alot of TV, but this aired on austrian television last night and I couldn't turn it off. Brilliant movie on the human condition. Absolutely breathtaking cinematography and a great soundtrack. The first documentary to be premiered in the U.N. General Assembly Hall. The 3 part extended version is freely available on youtube. If you're looking for something to watch on the weekend, make it this one. Actually, this should be required viewing for every single human on this planet in my opinion.

The full runtime for all 3 parts is about 4 1/2 hours, which is quite long, but trust me time will fly by when you watch it. Even if you just skip through it and watch a few of the monologues it's worth it. It made me laugh out loud and it made me cry like a little baby. Definitely the best documentary I've seen in the last 5 years, if not ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_(2015_film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdb4XGVTHkE

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 21, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can't find anything about it on TVIV so may as well mention it here, but Planet Earth II is currently on and it's loving amazing. It's only three episodes in but manages to be even more impressive than the first one and that's saying something, obviously. There's just nothing like watching incredible high-definition nature eye-candy with Attenborough being your granddad talking about it. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of North Korea, Under the Sun is on Netflix now and it's every bit as weird and awful as you would expect, with the added bonus of being about a child soldier as she's joining the Glorious Children's Army and that the film crew was given a script and elaborate fake scenes were staged. It's soul-crushing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

North Korea is one of the worst written but most compelling stage-play I've ever glimpsed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm only 5 minutes into Tickled and I'm already in full :stonklol: mode. What in the world am I in for?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is it available somewhere that's an official release? I want to watch it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

I'm only 5 minutes into Tickled and I'm already in full :stonklol: mode. What in the world am I in for?

Hahaha oh just keep watching. I think the big reveal of the perpetrator not actually being a woman was pretty telegraphed from the word go, but man is that film super fun and ended in a pretty perfect way for a story that wasn't ever going to be truly resolved

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

Is it available somewhere that's an official release? I want to watch it

Yeah I bought it on Amazon. 20 minutes in and the weirdness is loving exponential.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tickled is fantastic. It just goes to this really weird, unexpected place. I vaguely remembered the story from my first Dollop podcast (and it was great to hear them in this movie, so proud of my boys!).

Watched Louis Theroux's Scientology Movie last night, and goddamn if they're not the scariest organisation. Didn't learn too much as I watched Going Clear recently, but Theroux is always entertaining and he just does not give a gently caress, which is wonderful, especially when you're going against Scientologists.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I think it's a really great companion piece to Going Clear. Going Clear goes into the depths of just how life-destroying it is to EVERYONE who it touches, while this one focuses on how it can change a couple of people's. He said it best himself, it couldn't have fallen together better for him. "How do we show that we're sane and not what he's trying to show us as? By doing exactly what he's showing us as and worse." It's a very hilarious movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've followed Scientology from a casual POV for about a decade as a friend has been fascinated by them since the 90s, and I thought Going Clear was far better. I usually love Louis' work, but I found his movie a bit aimless and rambling, as if he didn't really know what he would be able to make. Would've been perfectly fine as one of his BBC docs, but was a bit underwhelmed as it was a full theatrical effort. Not to say I didn't enjoy it at all - I did, I thought the fake movie was an interesting and new approach at least - it's just Louis always excels when he's able to get people close enough to him to reveal more than they should, and you're not going to get that out of the Scientologists he runs into. Those parts all felt too familiar of other existing works.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Going Clear is excellent, it's the biggest dissuasion fro scientology that I've come across - except for my pro-scientology roommate who loaned me a couple of his textbooks because he felt I was a smart guy who would really appreciate it.. And I'm talking the matched set looks like a lawyer's shelf books, which read like 1930s psychology manuals mixed with a novel about space conan.

Those things read like a PSY 101 textbook which someone played mad libs on, and then spliced half of a pulp fantasy novel into.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Going Clear is definitely the better of the two, but I think Louis' is okay. It's one of his weakest efforts, but still strong.

Tickled ended up being kind of a weird wet fart. I actually thought it was gonna just keep getting more strange but I guessed the final twist well before it happened. Still one of the best documentaries I've ever seen because holy poo poo. It's like Tabloid in that regard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven't heard of Tabloid before, but added to my list based on that comparison.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven't heard of Tabloid before, but added to my list based on that comparison.

I believe it's still on Netflix, I know it was for a long time.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

coyo7e posted:

Going Clear is excellent, it's the biggest dissuasion fro scientology that I've come across - except for my pro-scientology roommate who loaned me a couple of his textbooks because he felt I was a smart guy who would really appreciate it.. And I'm talking the matched set looks like a lawyer's shelf books, which read like 1930s psychology manuals mixed with a novel about space conan.

Those things read like a PSY 101 textbook which someone played mad libs on, and then spliced half of a pulp fantasy novel into.

You can easily say that about almost any organized religion with all the wacky stuff they toss in and dumb rules they come up with

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

You can easily say that about almost any organized religion with all the wacky stuff they toss in and dumb rules they come up with

What other religion can you say that about exactly? What a weird thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well the Tao Te Ching pretty much reads like a PPSY 101 textbook so I guess there's a precedent :ughh: