Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

the_steve posted:

At least "Ask Ish the same question, only slightly differently." and "Try to page Azz" are relatively safe activities? :shrug:

I mean, I'm sick and tired of the identical Ish questions since they waste a lot of valuable update space, but at least they're almost certainly not going to get us killed.
And trying to contact Azz is a nice, harmless "You tried, it didn't work." line in the updates, so no real danger and no waste of a whole update.

But it's tedious as a hell. I'm generally conservative in my inclinations here, but voting to try things that keep not working, just because failing doesn't cost us anything is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

At least "Ask Ish the same question, only slightly differently." and "Try to page Azz" are relatively safe activities? :shrug:

I mean, I'm sick and tired of the identical Ish questions since they waste a lot of valuable update space, but at least they're almost certainly not going to get us killed.
And trying to contact Azz is a nice, harmless "You tried, it didn't work." line in the updates, so no real danger and no waste of a whole update.

Well, that's entirely reasonable. I was just thinking the exact same thing that Diog posted, and it reminded me that it's hard for people to pay attention to everything in such a giant thread. I suppose my main problem is that goons could be using their brains to come up with interesting and novel ideas that haven't been rehashed so many times. I wouldn't vote against trying to talk to Azz again, necessarily. It just pains me to see it again as if it's something viable.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Azz is like, under super double extra probation with the PtB. He already meddled with us a lot and don't think the powers are willing to let that happen so he hides in his safe dimension or he was ashael all along or I don't know.

I wish our goat buddy was still here to tell us cool nature documentaries about goats al night while we play the flute alongside Azz making the stars sing while a deeply stoned Ishamal nods sagely to one of the few true peaceful moments he has these days.

As Azz said "The Party's over man".

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ok, how about this, we use the knowing ourself ability Ish taught us to see if the reason we can't poop is the same as it was pre-retcon.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tsyni posted:

Well, that's entirely reasonable. I was just thinking the exact same thing that Diog posted, and it reminded me that it's hard for people to pay attention to everything in such a giant thread. I suppose my main problem is that goons could be using their brains to come up with interesting and novel ideas that haven't been rehashed so many times. I wouldn't vote against trying to talk to Azz again, necessarily. It just pains me to see it again as if it's something viable.

Well another thing is that at least with Azz, there IS a chance for success. It has worked before.
Admittedly, not for a long time, since he was probably on perilously thin ice even before he met us, but it IS still theoretically possible to work, and again, with no real risk to ourselves for trying and no waste of an entire update cycle.
Plus, he's our friend and I'd like to know he's ok.

Compare that to asking Ishamal the same stuff over and over.
We KNOW that's never going to change. He is never going to hand us our genealogical records. He is never going to slip up and accidentally say our biological father's name.
All we're ever going to get is 10 pages of questions copy/pasted with "Ishamal doesn't answer you." or "Ishamal says not to worry about it."
At best, if we're ridiculously lucky and well-behaved, then maybe in 600 years or so, he will gesture in something of a sweeping motion and say "He's out that direction, and that's all I will tell you."

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Diogines posted:

A silly idea. I won't do it. But if people have some other idea for how I could reward or motivate people to change their names back, please let me know!

My new name is objectively better than LivesInGrey.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Waci posted:

Yes and then we have a chance to actually find out whether these theories people fixate on are correct people pussy out because SURELY THERE'S NO WAY TO LOOK AT SOMETHING without assuming it's our friend.

We have hosed up plenty of things by looking at them. It often starts out by assuming things are our friend, especially when we are acting without the advice of our actual friends.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

And let's not forget, we take drat near anything that isn't Ishamal or a PtB at face value, which leads to us putting ourselves in danger to befriend something because "Surely it's not evil. Our backwards society just doesn't have the 21st century morality necessary to understand that. Now, let's go be friends with it."

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I think the Orm might be intelligent/reasonable because since when would a descendant of Zepa (The best descendant of Labaras) not fight a monster who's troubling their land?

Kings and Mighty Men don't just not fight something because the odds are bad and they might die- they only have 2 settings; Either kick it's rear end or die glorious deaths, retreat literally isn't a word in their vocabulary when dealing with a threat to their lands. And besides how could they have escaped anyway if this thing is so powerful?

So I'm suspecting there's another reason why the ones who have come back have been all "yea I totes took care of it dw (ps don't go over there)"

Also it may not be in Zepas land it may have its own little owned cave like the Bug People, whose borders got respected too

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Outrail posted:

Ok, got an idea.

Monsters are rare coz we've beaten them into submission. But there's giant lions and poo poo out there preying on merchants every now and then.

So we send a bunch of balls up to Dor or whatever with a bunch of cows and/or grain. No, they're not herders (send some herders with them though), the cows are bait. Monsters that wouldn't attack a merchant smell all this meat and go for it. The balls butcher the monsters and are happy because they got to murder something.

The herd and balls arrive in Dor, where the cows are sold and the Balls spend a week or two telling everyone how loving awesome we are, and purchase a bunch of slaves with the cash (we have a surplus of food in excess of what we can store, so larger population is good, means more work can be done and more food grown etc). Meanwhile people are talking about how loving sweet we are so [???] bumps up, and probably scoring a wife or two.

The balls come home with more treasure and man power that will create more of the same. And we get word out that Kavodel/Zepath is on the up and up so the more entrepreneurial/open minded/braver people (which are the people we want) will be temped to come down with the balls and set up shop in the land of plenty.

Thus there's even more souls in the great southern land for the Doom of Kavodel to hoover up because you fuckwits want to build a temple.

+1 to this with a hair less 'temples are dumb' Even if we ARE just enabling slavery by buying them up.

edit: how much memory do we have of our decision making around the hugemongous sacrifice at Gebeb? Do we remember thinking much about the Great Scroll of Inquiry?

vorebane fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

And let's not forget, we take drat near anything that isn't Ishamal or a PtB at face value, which leads to us putting ourselves in danger to befriend something because "Surely it's not evil. Our backwards society just doesn't have the 21st century morality necessary to understand that. Now, let's go be friends with it."

It's an exaggeration to say that that's all we do considering that there are examples on both sides. Maybe sometimes, maybe not other times. Consider goblin babies, refusing to talk to the minotaur, etc, etc. Believing people that don't have a vested interest in deceiving us doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I just wanna go over there, camp outside any OWNED lands, setup a little campfire and bullshit with a giant snake over marshmallows.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

We have hosed up plenty of things by looking at them. It often starts out by assuming things are our friend, especially when we are acting without the advice of our actual friends.

We don't need to assume anything about whether it will try to eat us to take a look.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I just wanna go over there, camp outside any OWNED lands, setup a little campfire and bullshit with a giant snake over marshmallows.

It turns out that the Orm is actually a giant marshmallow, not a snake, so your gesture of friendship ends up getting us killed. Nice work.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

It would be interesting to go take a trip, not expressly to visit the Orm, but to check on the ownership status of the land around there. It could do us a lot of good to check out what the deal is, how far our borders extend from Kavodel, is the area north of Tanaach still owned by Zepa's line, is there an enclave of owned land inside it? We could infer a lot from that.

If the Orm does have an ownership enclave that would speak to the borders issue as well as its relative age and power, and also its inherently divine nature due to owning land.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Olothreutes posted:

It would be interesting to go take a trip, not expressly to visit the Orm, but to check on the ownership status of the land around there. It could do us a lot of good to check out what the deal is, how far our borders extend from Kavodel, is the area north of Tanaach still owned by Zepa's line, is there an enclave of owned land inside it? We could infer a lot from that.

If the Orm does have an ownership enclave that would speak to the borders issue as well as its relative age and power, and also its inherently divine nature due to owning land.

Seriously. The "visit" is poor phrasing, but I guess something like "reconnoitre the general area where Orm is supposed to live and either get the gently caress out after catching a glimpse if it seems hostile or try to greet it if it seems friendly" is a bit longer.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
1. A
2. 8+8B
3. D
4. F

Extra:
Permanently employ messengers to carry news between a number of near-ish cities at regular intervals.
Invest a ton of money with our trader friends to invest in increased trade between Kavodel and nearby cities. If people won't make the trip on their own, we'll hire people to do so! This might even make us a profit long term.

Holy poo poo go at least investigate what is probably the thing that saved our life and which we've totally ignored for decades since. You guys realize there's a whole continuum between "word of Diog (who may or may not have his fingers crossed)" and "total guesswork," right? We have every reason to deduce that the Orm and the nukesnake are very likely the same (superpowerful snake thing from the same general direction with an affinity for treasure), and if they're not, we still have every reason to believe it doesn't go around devouring people--that would not be tolerated. It might also be the difference between Kavodel getting rolled and getting rescued by air support come the next major attack. Not to mention that it represents an exceedingly rare opportunity to potentially make contact with something that can give us some more information and which isn't necessarily aligned with the PtB. It doesn't have to be a long or dangerous trip, and if we keep putting it off it'll never happen. We'll just go gallivanting off to Baitel or something or get eaten by the next Doom. Now is the time.

Also, for the record, we're not at 0% success rate of making contact with nonhumans. We're on respectful terms with Everfang :unsmith:

Ralith fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 22, 2016

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Ralith posted:

Also, for the record, we're not at 0% success rate of making contact with nonhumans. We're on respectful terms with Everfang :unsmith:

"Hey Enkidel, how'd your trip go?"

"Not bad, I went out into the wilderness and beat off a giant snake."

"Coulda stayed at home for that!"

:stat::wal:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ralith posted:

Shoulda killed the mangy mutt when we had the chance! :argh:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

paragon1 posted:

Shoulda killed the mangy mutt when we had the chance! :argh:
Someday we're going to have giant wolf cavalry and you'll know it was all worthwhile.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I don't think the Orm is the C snake for a simple reason, we seemed to perceive it was coming from a long way off. Too close for it to have started close to Taanach. Unless it did a spiritual gravity sling around Baitel. Which would be awesome.

e:

super sweet best pal posted:

Ok, how about this, we use the knowing ourself ability Ish taught us to see if the reason we can't poop is the same as it was pre-retcon.

I hope this would trivial to implement.

Olothreutes posted:

This may be doable along the line as well!

vorebane fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 22, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

the_steve posted:

Maybe we would take what the ptb or ish said with more value if they actually explained things instead of raging whenever we do something because it fucks up unexplained rule #5,348. It would also help if ish quit lieing to us.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Everfang Emergency Evacuation Cavalry

- No need road

- As fast as mighty man

- Dad approved use of wild beast

- Can fight

- Have its own army

- Honorable

- Wolf = Honor Dog

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
OK you can add me to the list of people who are going to be changing their names back. I was BoyG, a bad name, but better than "threw up at my b-day" :(

I don't know how this "What If?" vote will work, but my vote would be "What if we were not kidnapped from Athar?". I'd be happy with any "What if?" scenario though.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

There's two big turning points that could have changed the direction of the narrative massively and they are:

1. What if Og hadn't left Athar?

2. What if Enkidel had agreed to Bareen's terms and went with her?

I'm not one of the name change people, so it's not up to me but one of those would probably be the most impactful options. I would lean a bit more toward the Bareen option.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Re: Azz chat

For slightly different perspective, I don't keep wanting to try because I think it will work. I like to keep trying because I think there's a chance that—even if Azz doesn't responsed—he knows we're visiting somehow, and I want him to know we're thinking about him and appreciate him as our bro even after all these years. It's the least you can do for an celestial party man that's saved your rear end multiple times. :unsmith:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

FoxTerrier posted:

For slightly different perspective, I don't keep wanting to try because I think it will work. I like to keep trying because I think there's a chance that—even if Azz doesn't responsed—he knows we're visiting somehow, and I want him to know we're thinking about him and appreciate him as our bro even after all these years. It's the least you can do for an celestial party man that's saved your rear end multiple times. :unsmith:

I agree. i think he doesn't interact with us anymore because we bring him unwanted attention, like causing his favorite disciple to break the rules and leave the mortal realm. I support doing things that show we still think about him because he's our friend and just as much of a madman as we are. A madman that sometimes still helps us.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

threw up at my b-day posted:

OK you can add me to the list of people who are going to be changing their names back. I was BoyG, a bad name, but better than "threw up at my b-day" :(

I don't know how this "What If?" vote will work, but my vote would be "What if we were not kidnapped from Athar?". I'd be happy with any "What if?" scenario though.

I like the new one, hth.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

FoxTerrier posted:

Azz is great, but let's not make it weird. Bringing goats as a present is awkward for him since it comes close to making an offering. If anything, let's take a whole load of our best wine and see if he wants to get shitfaced/slightly buzzed together. Worst case scenario we're out in the wilderness getting drunk and staring at the stars.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

TacoNight posted:

Azz is great, but let's not make it weird. Bringing goats as a present is awkward for him since it comes close to making an offering. If anything, let's take a whole load of our best wine and see if he wants to get shitfaced/slightly buzzed together. Worst case scenario we're out in the wilderness getting drunk and staring at the stars.

Can we split the difference and just get a goat wasted with us?

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Lets send Nahari to look at the Orm. Give him the pep talk we gave the Gabbebans before he goes.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Zodiac5000 posted:

Can we split the difference and just get a goat wasted with us?
What if we accidentally ate the goat while drunk?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Nyaa posted:

What if we accidentally ate the goat while drunk?

That's a risk I'm willing to take. Sometimes as Magicstraith you have to make the hard choices. Accidentally eating a goat while drunk off your rear end is just one of those times.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Aades posted:

Lets send Nahari to look at the Orm. Give him the pep talk we gave the Gabbebans before he goes.

Whenever I remember {how pissed Nahari was at us for sending him to Ibleam, and then when we went in the tunnels one goon suggested sending him with the House Men, and doing that from now on, sending this guy that had just joined the Balls to missions where he would be alone} I have a good laugh. It was a good idea.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

threw up at my b-day posted:

i think "threw up at my b-day" is a rly good name

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wait, did I miss a page or something? What's the orm vote?

Yes for thefalsegodEl's sake ho say hi to the 'super-supersonic boulder'.

Hah, when azz described it as 'arriving like a super-supersonic boulder' we wouldn't have had the foggiest idea what he meant.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
What city is the Orm nearby again? If that really was the c-snake shouldn't there have been rumors from that area about its movement?

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What city is the Orm nearby again? If that really was the c-snake shouldn't there have been rumors from that area about its movement?

If I remember correctly, it is supposed to live in an underground lake beneath some mountains to the north of Tanaach.

Everyone in Tanaach was in the process of having their souls devoured by a sea demon, thus they didn't have much time to spread rumors.

Following your reasoning, if the "Savior of Tanaach" came from further north it probably would have been sighted by someone along the way.

Unless it was invisible.

Or maybe it teleported in from further north and just happened to chose to come from the direction of the Orm's reported lair? Anything is possible, but geographically it doesn't make much sense to assume there's another magical snake creature that lives somewhere north of Tanaach. Maybe El just really liked snakes for some reason and had the Melachim create a ton of them?

AbysmalPeptoBismol fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 22, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

If I remember correctly, it is supposed to live in an underground lake beneath some mountains to the north of Tanaach.

Everyone in Tanaach was in the process of having their souls devoured by a sea demon, thus they didn't have much time to spread rumors.

Following your reasoning, if the "Savior of Tanaach" came from further north it probably would have been sighted by someone along it's path. Unless it was invisible. Or maybe it teleported in from further north and just happened to chose to come from the direction of the Orm's reported lair?
Or everyone in all the cities to the north just happened to be looking the other way with their eyes shut and ears tightly covered while bashing their head into a cymbal when a giant relativistic lizard tore past. FFS goons :eng99:

Outrail posted:

Wait, did I miss a page or something? What's the orm vote?

Yes for thefalsegodEl's sake ho say hi to the 'super-supersonic boulder'.

Hah, when azz described it as 'arriving like a super-supersonic boulder' we wouldn't have had the foggiest idea what he meant.
It's losing by like ten votes because people can't read or weigh evidence. It's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Changing my vote from no orm to yes orm

gently caress it.