Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Agnosticnixie posted:

This game is pretty good but it's giving me restartitis; is shortbows (or shortbow/unarmed) actually worth considering as a starting setup?

Verviticus posted:

of all the things i might replay this game as, bows are the thing i would not choose

Yeah, ranged weapons don't really have a point in a game where a significant portion of the time enemies will run straight past your tank to get to the squishies behind him. Either go magic for maximum destructive potential, or go melee and have your mage cast Volcanic Weapons on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, positioning doesn't matter in Tyranny really at all, and so ranged weapons don't matter. Disengagement attacks aren't very punishing and the advantage of range isn't a big advantage given how clumped up 99% of fights are. After Act 1, your melee characters will literally never have trouble getting to the softest target in a given fight, because they're probably standing like four feet away from the enemy bruisers and trying to cast a PBAoE on you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
I like ranged, you get good multi target abilities. Just cycling between hitting all enemies in a line and all enemies in a cone and doing massive single enemy damage

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, it's probably still good, to be honest. Maybe being too negative! It's just also probably not super amazing given that most of the advantages you normally get from ranged combat, like the ability to engage protected targets and keep your distance from the enemy frontline, are quite understated in Tyranny.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
Yeah in tyranny the benefits are mostly from doing aoe damage and effects with a physical weapon. Combined with some of the stealth boosts and an enchanted weapon its a really good way to open a fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ropekid this Steam reviewer wants you to purge the feminazis from Obsidian

(I never stop being amazed at how terrible the CRPG fandom is at large.)

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah in tyranny the benefits are mostly from doing aoe damage and effects with a physical weapon. Combined with some of the stealth boosts and an enchanted weapon its a really good way to open a fight.

Is there a better source of AoE damage than Scorching Missiles with that sigil that reduces the AoE but increases the number of projectiles? Because god drat. Enemies like to clump up so they just get turned to paste by that. Even better when my Fatebinder and Lantry each cast it simultaneously.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

ropekid this Steam reviewer wants you to purge the feminazis from Obsidian

(I never stop being amazed at how terrible the CRPG fandom is at large.)

Is there a better source of AoE damage than Scorching Missiles with that sigil that reduces the AoE but increases the number of projectiles? Because god drat. Enemies like to clump up so they just get turned to paste by that. Even better when my Fatebinder and Lantry each cast it simultaneously.

The funniest part about that Steam review is that literally the first companion, who you meet five minutes into the game, is a woman and is one of the most reprehensible people you'll meet full stop. She isn't even shy about it, she tells you about her exploits mutilating cattle if you just poke a nose into her conversation tree directly after meeting her. So not only are they a weird anti-feminist rage monster with a chip on their shoulder, they're also really bad at paying attention.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

go melee and have your mage cast Volcanic Weapons on you.

Where do I get Volcanic Weapons? I only have vigor, life, illusion and force key symbols (act 2, disfavored), and the library merchants only seem to sell emphasis symbols.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Android Blues posted:

The funniest part about that Steam review is that literally the first companion, who you meet five minutes into the game, is a woman and is one of the most reprehensible people you'll meet full stop. She isn't even shy about it, she tells you about her exploits mutilating cattle if you just poke a nose into her conversation tree directly after meeting her. So not only are they a weird anti-feminist rage monster with a chip on their shoulder, they're also really bad at paying attention.

hahahaha yes, I was dumbfounded seeing an opinion it talking about how women in Tyranny were "so much better" and I was like god drat it man did you pay attention to your first party companion? Her commander told her to skin people alive when they lacked canvas for the tents!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Read more closely: His definition of decent is "strong, brave, independent.". Verse is all of those things, thus she is decent and not horrible like the men.

Man-wise we have Barik (utterly incapable of independent thought) and Lantry (weak and cowardly)

No decent men, only decent women. Like Verse, Eb, and Kills, all of whom are Strong, Brave, Independent characters.

(Let's ignore that all the Archons are men, I guess)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 22, 2016

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Verviticus posted:

getting a sage trainer up to 150 would have been way nicer than the forge, imo. lantry being at like 260 would be pretty cool right about now (not like the game is hard after you get the 2nd spire anyways)

I think the best order would be: Library to start researching artifacts (it takes a long rear end time) and get the 75 lore trainer. Then forge to start making artifacts and upgrading armor. Then infirmary to upgrade to master lore trainer. Then finally arena because its loving useless

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Android Blues posted:

The post my girlfriend linked me to that makes fun of these bad reviews/Tyranny forum posts has a few that seem to read Verse as "cool badass whom we're supposed to admire" instead of "brutal, remorseless killer with no redeeming qualities." Of course, that's definitely how they'd read her if she was male and they'd love that character, so I shouldn't be surprised.

babypolis posted:

I think the best order would be: Library to start researching artifacts (it takes a long rear end time) and get the 75 lore trainer. Then forge to start making artifacts and upgrading armor. Then infirmary to upgrade to master lore trainer. Then finally arena because its loving useless

I don't use Barik, so I went Library for lore trainer + sigils, Infirmary because I was already maxing out on the Library lore trainer, and then Forge. But really artifacts don't matter that much, either, so I'd argue you probably only need a Forge at all if you use Barik.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

On the topic of Tyranny being a tool for the feminazi destruction of the modern male, one detail I really liked was that the Beastwoman tribes are referred to mostly as Beastwomen rather than Beastmen. It's one of those things where fantasy races being called like beastmen/lizardmen/First Men etc., even though they have both male and female members, is such a genre standard that just performing a simple reversal like that feels interesting.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Agnosticnixie posted:

This game is pretty good but it's giving me restartitis; is shortbows (or shortbow/unarmed) actually worth considering as a starting setup?

Unarmed/magic is pretty solid. You want to start with frost or lightning (preferably frost, it's the big damage element) since vigor and atrophy aren't really that good. I would actually say to have magic as your first pick and unarmed as your second, but anything can work.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Where on earth do you get the Missiles expression for scorching missiles and such? I managed to play through the game without seeing it. Didn't get Warded Form either but I assume that one is boring and lame.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

The post my girlfriend linked me to that makes fun of these bad reviews/Tyranny forum posts has a few that seem to read Verse as "cool badass whom we're supposed to admire" instead of "brutal, remorseless killer with no redeeming qualities." Of course, that's definitely how they'd read her if she was male and they'd love that character, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I don't use Barik, so I went Library for lore trainer + sigils, Infirmary because I was already maxing out on the Library lore trainer, and then Forge. But really artifacts don't matter that much, either, so I'd argue you probably only need a Forge at all if you use Barik.

She has redeeming qualities ya dumbo. She's fun and cheerful.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Where on earth do you get the Missiles expression for scorching missiles and such? I managed to play through the game without seeing it. Didn't get Warded Form either but I assume that one is boring and lame.

I've never seen it either.

UP AND ADAM posted:

She's also competent and straightforward and fearless.

I guess the question is whether or not these are "redeeming" rather than just "positive".

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yep. I mean, I can... sort of see the point? Verse is a good character, in the "cool and good" sense, where Barik isn't. Verse is fun to have around, she's got pep, she sticks with you and is even fully on board when you gently caress over her faction... sure, she's a violent psycho, but she's an interesting violent psycho. Barik, meanwhile, is a giant fascist stick in the mud. The fun part of his interactions is when you go over his head and force him to do things he doesn't want to do because he sucks and is lame. I'm with you up to that point, weird Steam review person. Where it breaks down for me is not considering Lantry an interesting addition to the team and the whole thing where the game is an attack on masculinity. I just don't know and can't figure out where these people are coming from.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's the sigil of chaotic descent, and it's in one of the oldwalls on one of those plaques you need that Lantry language talent for.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's the sigil of chaotic descent, and it's in one of the oldwalls on one of those plaques you need that Lantry language talent for.

Is it in the Lethians crossing oldwalls or the Blade Grave? I didnt find anything like that in the latter

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

ulmont posted:

Where do I get Volcanic Weapons? I only have vigor, life, illusion and force key symbols (act 2, disfavored), and the library merchants only seem to sell emphasis symbols.

Rescind the edict of fire and go back into the library. On the lower levels there is a new area uncovered with some bane, I found it there.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I think it might be in Lethian's crossing, but I could be wrong. It might require backtracking once you have the right torchkey.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think it might be in Lethian's crossing, but I could be wrong. It might require backtracking once you have the right torchkey.

There is a room that requires you to have completed both the Crossing and the Blade Grave. Perhaps that is where it is?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure I got mine from there as well, seeing as I only just now got to the Blade Grave one.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Most broken spell combo I have found is Haste with AOE and the selfless sigil. Yes I would like to give my entire party -62 % recovery time, thank you very much

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Yep. I mean, I can... sort of see the point? Verse is a good character, in the "cool and good" sense, where Barik isn't. Verse is fun to have around, she's got pep, she sticks with you and is even fully on board when you gently caress over her faction... sure, she's a violent psycho, but she's an interesting violent psycho. Barik, meanwhile, is a giant fascist stick in the mud. The fun part of his interactions is when you go over his head and force him to do things he doesn't want to do because he sucks and is lame. I'm with you up to that point, weird Steam review person. Where it breaks down for me is not considering Lantry an interesting addition to the team and the whole thing where the game is an attack on masculinity. I just don't know and can't figure out where these people are coming from.

My bet, sight unseen, is that one of the developers said something on Twitter and now it's idiot gospel that this is an evil feminist game, regardless of its actual contents.

I mean, it is pretty feminist. But I hardly see that men lose out or are depicted as sad weaklings or something.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

babypolis posted:

Most broken spell combo I have found is Haste with AOE and the selfless sigil. Yes I would like to give my entire party -62 % recovery time, thank you very much

And then the most broken combination of spells is that aoe haste with an aoe volcanic weapon spell. :kheldragar:

Android Blues posted:

My bet, sight unseen, is that one of the developers said something on Twitter and now it's idiot gospel that this is an evil feminist game, regardless of its actual contents.

I mean, it is pretty feminist. But I hardly see that men lose out or are depicted as sad weaklings or something.

These are the same people who complained that the Force Awakened was a feminist plot to indoctrinate white men into cuckoldry. It doesn't have to make sense, just have women in it.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 22, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bleden Mark's name is perfect.

"Thou hast been stabbed! Pray, tell me who stabbed thee!"
"Bleden..."
"I know thou art bleedin', ye barmy git! Who did it?!"
"Bleden..."
"You know what? You can keep it."

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Killsion posted:

Pretty sure I got mine from there as well, seeing as I only just now got to the Blade Grave one.

This. Backtrack after you finish the dungeon and try out torch keys to get it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
So with the Burning Library, your choice is basically to either get the Staff of Hours or the Banner or Ardent? The Banner seems a lot better unless I'm crazy.

Does choosing to save the library by swapping the staff for the scroll cause any issues with Bleden Mark?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think someone mentioned earlier that picking the Bronze Brotherhood means that you can't break the edict of stone even if you choose to go to the stone sea over the Burning Library. Not sure what you miss out on if you go Forge-bound though.

This is the wrong way around, from what I recall. One of the Forgebound knows someone in the earthshakers, right? So you walk in as bros.

I am good at spoiler tags.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 22, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is the wrong way around, from what I recall. One of the Forgebound knows someone in the earthshakers, right? So you walk in as bros.

I think you might've just read it wrong actually. Or I'm misunderstanding?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think you might've just read it wrong actually. Or I'm misunderstanding?

It makes sense because the Forgebound are connected to the Disfavored and the Bronze Brotherhood are secretly working for the Voices of Nerat.

I guess it could be the other way around, but I could have sworn that's what they said. And ending the edict required stopping the Earthshakers, so that would require betraying them. Not a problem unless you are friends with them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

It makes sense because the Forgebound are connected to the Disfavored and the Bronze Brotherhood are secretly working for the Voices of Nerat.

I guess it could be the other way around, but I could have sworn that's what they said. And ending the edict required stopping the Earthshakers, so that would require betraying them. Not a problem unless you are friends with them.

If you're coming at that scenario from the Stonestalkers' point of view, you don't actually understand what the Earthshakers are doing. They're drawing Cairn's essence out of his body and preserving it in their staves, which will allow him to die, and Cairn's death fulfills the terms of the Edict (which lasts as long as he "draws breath," I think is the wording). The Stonestalkers explicitly want the Edict to continue because the crystals it created give them strength.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, the Stonestalkers are hardy and limber enough to thrive on the uneven, shifting terrain caused by the Edict of Stone, and humans can't really, so its continuance makes Azure an ideal place for Beastwomen to live free of subjugation by Kyros' forces.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

So with the Burning Library, your choice is basically to either get the Staff of Hours or the Banner or Ardent? The Banner seems a lot better unless I'm crazy.

Does choosing to save the library by swapping the staff for the scroll cause any issues with Bleden Mark?

You can use any artifact, it doesn't have to be the staff.

Where is the Banner? I went back in and didn't find anything like it

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Android Blues posted:

On the topic of Tyranny being a tool for the feminazi destruction of the modern male, one detail I really liked was that the Beastwoman tribes are referred to mostly as Beastwomen rather than Beastmen. It's one of those things where fantasy races being called like beastmen/lizardmen/First Men etc., even though they have both male and female members, is such a genre standard that just performing a simple reversal like that feels interesting.

There's a couple spots where a character you meet while having KIS in the party will go "Ugh, you work with beastmen?" and she's like "It's beastwomen! Beastmen are scrubs" or just threatens them about it. It's pretty funny.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can you make the spire combinations without finding all the charcoal drawings? Only have partial drawings for the Aurora and Dawning spires.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kurtofan posted:

Can you make the spire combinations without finding all the charcoal drawings? Only have partial drawings for the Aurora and Dawning spires.

Yeah, and in some places you basically have to. Just squint at the charcoal rubbings for the very faint outlines or think about how to make them symmetrical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I have to laugh a little at the state of games when Tyranny qualifies as even being notably feminist, let alone extremely so, but I guess that guy's just the type of person who sees things not being 100% catered to him and calls it misandry.

bewilderment posted:

Of all the bad things I've done in the course of siding with the Chorus while still occasionally trying to be nice, the thing I feel worst about is Mattias Brown Bottom.

Surely you didn't hurt a member of the beloved rear end Gang?

• Locked thread