Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Ordered January 23rd. Finally came in today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Holy poo poo do you feel like it was worth the 10 month wait?

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

willroc7 posted:

Holy poo poo do you feel like it was worth the 10 month wait?

Absolutely. I ordered it from a dealership that charged MSRP, and I had a functioning vehicle so I wasn't in a rush. I could have gotten it from other dealerships months sooner in the area for a $20k markup, which definitely wouldn't be worth it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Pell posted:

Ordered January 23rd. Finally came in today.

:hf:

Car comes alive after the first 1000 or so miles, so if you're happy now it gets even better.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

The Pell posted:

Absolutely. I ordered it from a dealership that charged MSRP, and I had a functioning vehicle so I wasn't in a rush. I could have gotten it from other dealerships months sooner in the area for a $20k markup, which definitely wouldn't be worth it.

$20k markup for a ford focus??

More power to these dealerships. I guess theres a lot of people out there who are very impulsive with their money and NEED a certain car. Which is crazy.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 21, 2016

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
I really don't get it. The distance between the two dealerships is 9.3 miles. Its not like I had to go out of my way to find the deal.

Two of the dealerships that gave me the 'opportunity' to buy an RS at $20K over both have two 2016s in stock with the same BS markup. The 2017s have already began to ship. I'm not quite sure how either one of these dealerships thinks that a good strategy (The dealership where I bought mine has one in stock from a deal that fell through, also at MSRP).

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I've seen cars around $57-60k with ADM here in FL. Beyond stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble imagining the kind of person who would have that kind of money to throw away on such a ridiculous markup and also want the Focus RS instead of something more upscale

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those insane markups are what made me realize an RS was never going to be in my future. Resale will probably be crazy on them as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm having trouble imagining the kind of person who would have that kind of money to throw away on such a ridiculous markup and also want the Focus RS instead of something more upscale

Some guy with enough disposable income that is tired of buying M3's?

I'm guessing most that moved with that kind of markup went straight to climate controlled storage for resale in 20+ years.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

I'm guessing most that moved with that kind of markup went straight to climate controlled storage for resale in 20+ years.

I guess as long as one can find the RS at MSRP it doesn't really matter but this thought still kind of makes me sad

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Some guy that seems to know a lot posted on focusrs.org that there are a total of 3516 built in 2016 for the US market. I've seen other numbers around 8,000 but it looks like they skipped a bunch of VIN numbers in places and maybe some of the VINs went to other countries.

So for arguments sake, if they make 3 model years and produce about the same number per year, that's 10,500 cars, roughly. That's not a ton of cars compared to something like a regular Focus/Fiesta, or an F150. At the same time, that's a TON of cars compared to other "rare" cars. The only recent-ish car I can think of off the top of my head that's appreciated is the BMW e36/38 Z3M, and they only brought 2,858 to the US. And the follow-up to that, the Z4 M Coupe, they only gave us just over 1800, and the price on those is going down still, but may be leveling off.

In the end, those guys with low mileage RS's in 10-20 years might be able to break even, but the majority will be priced like e46 M3's are now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Z4M isn't really in demand yet for some reason. I owned one of the Imola/Extended Black cars (1/38) and it took longer than I expected while selling it off as a single owner (per the title) car. My friend owns one of the Imola/Imola cars (1/37) and he got an insane deal from a dealer that couldn't move it. I'm not really sure what's going on there. To be fair, the E36 M3 has really just started climbing the past year or so, though I think that will stagnate when the euro cars are eligible for importation.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 21, 2016

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Sorry if this has come up before, but how exactly do you define what a hot hatch is these days? My Cooper S is 10 years old next month and that packs 175hp with a 0-60 of 7.1 seconds and was considered a hot hatch in its day, but the current Cooper S and Cooper can do 0-60 in 6.9 and 7.9 seconds respectively, but the latter probably wouldn't be considered a hot hatch.

Is it power? Styling? Handling? A combination of all?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So I read a thing about the focus RS awd system and I am left disappointed. Open front diff with brake articulation shenanigans? No center diff? The so called rear drive unit seems like voodoo and kind of cool but then... it's a haldex system that preemptively powers the rears as opposed to plain haldex which powers rears upon slip up front? It seems better than haldex but ... not by much? Tell me the ways I am wrong because I really like(ed) this car. :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

In the end, those guys with low mileage RS's in 10-20 years might be able to break even, but the majority will be priced like e46 M3's are now.

So batshit insane for ones with "desirable" features and reasonable miles?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno about the RS specifically but Haldex systems have been able to send power proactively since the generation three units came out in 2004.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

So batshit insane for ones with "desirable" features and reasonable miles?
I mean, the MSRP for an e46 M3 was around $46k. I just looked at EAG's website, and not counting the competition package cars, they're almost all under that. Of course there will be a couple unicorn "delivery mileage" ones with the "right" colors and options that go for premium prices, but I was just trying to highlight that cars are not a good investment. Even cars like the Focus RS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Unless we're talking aircooled porsches.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Do you guys actually think any of those RS's that are listed at $10k+ MSRP are selling anywhere near that? I always thought that was just a ploy to get people into the dealership "because OMG they have one of those RS/GT350R/Ford GT/etc" but they never actually plan on selling it. I'd seriously question them selling at that price but I guess it really depends on what part of the country you're in. I'm in the DMV area and there are numerous dealerships around here that have 1-2 RS's on the lot at MSRP or a $1-2k markup and they are having a hard time selling them for that. I've even seen a few posted on local FB pages that people purchased, drove for 1000-2000miles and returned to the dealership so they are sitting there with 1500miles at $40k.

Edit: And I can't really see them appreciating/holding their value well at all anytime in the near future, maybe on the long haul in impeccable condition. I'd guess you'll be seeing ones with 10-15k miles in a year or two for $30k or so.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 21, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean when it comes down to it I guess it's still just a tarted-up economy car (albeit built on top of an excellent track machine) with the engine... from the Ecoboost Mustang right? Have a feeling there's a lot of cost created by limited production runs and the fact that it's "special". Wooo look at that body kit.

Very interested to see what the used market on them looks like in 3 years... how much will a 3 year-old RS with 40k on the odometer run you?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So I read a thing about the focus RS awd system and I am left disappointed. Open front diff with brake articulation shenanigans? No center diff? The so called rear drive unit seems like voodoo and kind of cool but then... it's a haldex system that preemptively powers the rears as opposed to plain haldex which powers rears upon slip up front? It seems better than haldex but ... not by much? Tell me the ways I am wrong because I really like(ed) this car. :(

Car and Driver did a nice article on current AWD systems, and it covers R, RS and STI.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/we-dissect-every-type-of-all-wheel-drive-system-feature

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Monkey Fracas posted:

Very interested to see what the used market on them looks like in 3 years... how much will a 3 year-old RS with 40k on the odometer run you?

No one knows. I'm not sure how they'll hold their value. I would expect them to hold their value like an STi or EVO would, but that's just a guess on my part. They are expensive enough to keep the idiot tuners away for the most part, but who is going to trust an RS with 40K unknown miles on it? Everyone will assume they've been driven like Ken Block was at the wheel the entire time.

Here in Texas SVT Raptors hold their value insanely well. I see 80,000 mile SVT Raptors going for low to mid 40's when MSRP was only 50K.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Radiohead71 posted:

Car and Driver did a nice article on current AWD systems, and it covers R, RS and STI.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/we-dissect-every-type-of-all-wheel-drive-system-feature

Seemed like a decent explanation, thanks for the link. Every time I look into this though my takeaway is the same- the STi drivetrain is The Boss. If only Subaru would give us a motor worth a drat and a hatch I would be back in an STi in a second.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Seemed like a decent explanation, thanks for the link. Every time I look into this though my takeaway is the same- the STi drivetrain is The Boss. If only Subaru would give us a motor worth a drat and a hatch I would be back in an STi in a second.

Exactly. I'm buying a MY 2018 new car next year, and right now the RS is the front runner. If Subaru could just remember that they used to be the kings of rally and the hot hatch world and make the STi the rightful king again, I'd be throwing money at them. loving hell Subaru, Honda is about to out muscle you with a FWD Type R.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally had to take the summer tires off of the FoST last week (constant 60 degree F highs in November are not normal)- different car so I really can't tell exactly how much the car itself is influencing this but the Sottozero 3 XLs on actual alloy rims are just a world away from the Firestone Winterforce tires on steelies I had on my last car on dry pavement. Good tires are worth every penny.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Issue with the STI AWD is that it kills fuel economy compared to Haldex and other systems.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Quafie LSD? 20% off black Friday sale and been on the end list of parts to finish my Veloster up. Should be helpful in autocross when we push the tune up near 240whp and 280ftlbs

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I mounted my 09 focus 15x6 alloys w general altimax winters on my FiST. Its a totally different feel, freeway ridges no longer cause vertebrae compression, but the sidewalls are so flexible its like driving around on rubber stilts. The Fiesta steering is so aggresive and has no play, and the sidewall flex is so pronounced that you can sort of "weave" the car with tire flex with really light inputs at freeway speeds.

Definitely nicer for commuting, I cant wait to dump the stock rados + pilot sports and get some 16s with more sidewall for summer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Issue with the STI AWD is that it kills fuel economy compared to Haldex and other systems.

It's also the engine itself. It's old as hell.

I'm guessing the sti has terrible cD too

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Huge_Midget posted:

Exactly. I'm buying a MY 2018 new car next year, and right now the RS is the front runner. If Subaru could just remember that they used to be the kings of rally and the hot hatch world and make the STi the rightful king again, I'd be throwing money at them. loving hell Subaru, Honda is about to out muscle you with a FWD Type R.

I don't even care about an STI hatch. I'd be really interested in a plain old WRX hatch as a DD. Can't have that though!

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

100% Dundee posted:

Do you guys actually think any of those RS's that are listed at $10k+ MSRP are selling anywhere near that? I always thought that was just a ploy to get people into the dealership "because OMG they have one of those RS/GT350R/Ford GT/etc" but they never actually plan on selling it. I'd seriously question them selling at that price but I guess it really depends on what part of the country you're in. I'm in the DMV area and there are numerous dealerships around here that have 1-2 RS's on the lot at MSRP or a $1-2k markup and they are having a hard time selling them for that. I've even seen a few posted on local FB pages that people purchased, drove for 1000-2000miles and returned to the dealership so they are sitting there with 1500miles at $40k.

Edit: And I can't really see them appreciating/holding their value well at all anytime in the near future, maybe on the long haul in impeccable condition. I'd guess you'll be seeing ones with 10-15k miles in a year or two for $30k or so.

A lot of them are selling with those high markups. I have friends that work at the dealerships, and they have seen the sales for 10-20k over. I think it's regional though, as other regions have dealerships with similar yet lower markups (The Bay Area in CA seemed to be around $5-10k, Sacramento seemed to be around $10-20k, Northern Nevada was around $3-5k). A lot of the dealerships are doubling-down on the markup with 2017 as well, since its the last year of RS production.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Yeah so true. Way back in '05 I had an '04 STi. Hard to believe it has the same engine as then. I test drove a GTI and R (2nd time) today and the R is where my heart is at. They are just so expensive new. I really would like a '17 due to the Pretorias, but '15s are coming off lease and are around $33k. Pretty tempting. I may just save up and get an R in the fall. I wouldn't even consider the RS or the current STI.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

That's fair, fuel isn't free. That said, over 15,000 miles and $3/gal gas, the difference between combined 25 mpg and combined 19 mpg is less than $600. I would argue that no one in the market for a $40k hatchback can reasonably quibble over $600/year.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have any FiST owners installed a hitch? I've been reading that the big muffler tends to rattle against them, so you either need to lower the exhaust, use stiffer hangers, or have a smaller aftermarket muffler. Cobb makes some stiff hangers that I was hoping would be enough.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I know it's sacrilege, but I hope Ford pairs a powerful engine with a good torque converter automatic in the new Fiesta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzi6zm7SHA

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2016/11/16/ford-to-reveal-new-ford-fiesta-at-go-further-event-on-nov--29-in.html

http://www.gofurther.fordpresskits.com/

(the above links will work in a couple hours it looks like, I feel like a dorky Apple fanboi waiting for the drop)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

powderific posted:

Have any FiST owners installed a hitch? I've been reading that the big muffler tends to rattle against them, so you either need to lower the exhaust, use stiffer hangers, or have a smaller aftermarket muffler. Cobb makes some stiff hangers that I was hoping would be enough.

Doesn't the FiST have center exhaust like the FoST? If so I would think that it would require some sort of a custom install. I've looked at my Focus for doing a hitch, although the manual says it is not rated to tow anything, but the center exhaust presents a bit of a challenge.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nope, it's a side exhaust and regular fiesta hitches fit perfectly fine parked. But apparently there's enough movement in system to bump the muffler into part of the hitch when you're driving.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I really want to know how this one was done:

I'd like to be able to use a large bike rack and maybe tow a small (like single lawnmower size) trailer but I don't want anything hanging below the bumper.

Unfortunately I've looked intermittently since getting the car but still haven't managed to find any more details than this one photo.

Otherwise your research matches mine, all the normal Fiesta hitches fit, though they may require minor trimming on the bumper cover and/or stiffer exhaust hangers.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I know it's sacrilege, but I hope Ford pairs a powerful engine with a good torque converter automatic in the new Fiesta.
Either a good torque converter or a proper wet DCT. Has anyone yet managed a dry DCT that isn't bad? I don't think so.

I liked my friends GTI DSG a lot, but hated another friend's Focus PowerShift. Haven't heard anything good about other dry DCTs like VW's small one (not in the US AFAIK) or the Fiat one in the Dart.

That said at this point ZF and others have proven TC autos can be done well enough that DCT complexity/cost isn't worth the trouble when you're not going for ultimate performance.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
I have an m240i with the 8 speed ZF and it's a fantastic transmission. It would be an annoying transmission but for how good manual mode is, it really does react in a split second to paddle pulls - there's never any lag that I can feel.

By way of comparison, I test drove a Golf R and an S3 before going with the BMW. Both had the DSG box and both had a very noticeable hesitation on paddle pulls, I would say a good half a second of thinking about it before making the shift even in a situation that the box should have pre selected the next gear. As fast as it may have shifted (and I don't think it's any faster than the ZF), the lag totally ruined it.