Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So making new world provinces into full states/cores is a trap and a trick and shouldn't even be an option since those points will go down the drain once the CN forms?

I mean, if you just grab the important trade provinces in a region it is really useful as you can kill the autonomy to boost your trade power from it. But that is really only for a gimmicky merchant republic games where you are trying to minimize territory while maximizing profits (and playing the subsidies-for-trade power game which I don't know if that works in single player).

QuarkJets posted:

Correct. States are still a new thing and the CN trap will probably get patched sometime soon. But remember that you only form CNs in the New World + Australia, so if you've got the cape of good hope then you could consider it (but you also can't form a state if you've assigned any provinces in the territory to a trade company, IIRC)

However, you can move your capital to the new world and avoid forming colonial nations that way. Then it makes sense to start making states

Stating a colony in a trade company region removes it from the company. There are very specific (Portuguese) reasons for doing this with a safe, out of the way trade company region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Estates were discussed recently but I don't think that anyone mentioned how they completely remove the autonomy penalty for one of either taxes, production, or manpower. Having a 25% autonomy floor on a high-value province sucks, but if that province happens to have 80% autonomy anyway then you can get a ton of value out of simply placing an estate in that province. And you can always remove the estate later, after the autonomy has dropped to reasonable levels.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

QuarkJets posted:

Estates were discussed recently but I don't think that anyone mentioned how they completely remove the autonomy penalty for one of either taxes, production, or manpower. Having a 25% autonomy floor on a high-value province sucks, but if that province happens to have 80% autonomy anyway then you can get a ton of value out of simply placing an estate in that province. And you can always remove the estate later, after the autonomy has dropped to reasonable levels.

Yeah I throw all my recently conquered provinces into estates and slowly remove the core provinces, except where you get a province which has very lopsided development (like 4/2/1 or 1/1/3) in which case I tend to let them keep it to avoid pissing them off more since you're not losing much from keeping the 25% autonomy. Also I sometimes leave merchant guilds on trade power provinces since the 50% bonus can be a huge income boost especially if it's not otherwise a very rich province.

Like I said before if anyone has any cool Byzantium strats I'd be interested to know about it as it seems to be impossible to actually get anyone to join me in a war in spite of rivalries; although everyone hates the OE nobody seems to want their provinces.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I there a particular logic to when the A.I. intervenes in Great Power wars? My Austira just invaded G.P. Bohemia and France and Ottomans just invited themselves in. Maybe I'm butthurt because I'm about to be clowned but it somehow seems unfair and i wasn't interested in fighting a world war even if I can win.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

To get the colonialism institution to spawn with me, what counts as discovering the new world?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

To get the colonialism institution to spawn with me, what counts as discovering the new world?

Any part of the Americas

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

spectralent posted:

More dumb questions:

I sold condotierri to Savoy, but it turns out I keep control of them, so is there any reason to actual go fight and lose the manpower?

I have a decision to, I think, basically begin the inquisition: My southern states turn catholic but get some nasty looking maluses. If I don't I get religious tolerance. I really don't know enough about religions to know what the smart play is here.
Also condottieri battles give you more prestige and army tradition.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Atreiden posted:

Any part of the Americas

So having a conquistador set foot in the Aleutians is fine?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You don't need Conquistadors.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baron Corbyn posted:

So having a conquistador set foot in the Aleutians is fine?

If it's literally the province Aleut, iirc the game counts that as part of Polynesia. I don't know if the game allows that for Colonialism or not. But regardless if you can get a dude to Aleut you can almost certainly explore the Alaskan coast which definitely counts.

And yeah you just need to discover it, not put a guy there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cool, I abandoned some Koreans in America to search for the seven cities starting in Alaska so I should be fine. If it spawns in Spain or England, can I safely savescum until I get the origin province without wasting my time?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Baron Corbyn posted:

can I safely savescum until I get the origin province without wasting my time?

Depends on your definition of wasting your time :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

Cool, I abandoned some Koreans in America to search for the seven cities starting in Alaska so I should be fine. If it spawns in Spain or England, can I safely savescum until I get the origin province without wasting my time?

Yes. I did some test savescumming with a few of the institutions to see how the spawning works and it's just a random pick from between eligible nations. I've only ever seen Colonialism spawn in Portugal or the nation I'm playing.

Edit: also Korea is another really good start, you have a great starting ruler and Ming will be your big brother until you get large enough to threaten them. It's sort of like playing Portugal.

Just don't make the mistake I did and try to convert yourself to Tengri, it seems cool in theory but pagans won't convert non-pagans :( Vajrayana, however, is a lot cooler than Confucianism.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 22, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yes. I did some test savescumming with a few of the institutions to see how the spawning works and it's just a random pick from between eligible nations. I've only ever seen Colonialism spawn in Portugal or the nation I'm playing.

Edit: also Korea is another really good start, you have a great starting ruler and Ming will be your big brother until you get large enough to threaten them. It's sort of like playing Portugal.

Just don't make the mistake I did and try to convert yourself to Tengri, it seems cool in theory but pagans won't convert non-pagans :( Vajrayana, however, is a lot cooler than Confucianism.

Would you recommend culture flipping to Manchu? It's in the Chinese culture group so it should serve me better now that I'm ready to move on China. Is there any nasty side effects I should be aware of?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Qing run done. Not much more to say about how it works, once you've gotten rid of those pesky Koreans and found yourself a foothold in China it's pretty much all clear sailing, nobody in Asia or in fact the world can really match you for development or manpower. Yharkand, Kham, and Orissa are vassals I never got around to annexing. I went and knocked off all of Indochina and most of east India just to lighten up my trade situation a little, conquered Japan on a whim, beat the poo poo out of Russia to clean up my Siberian border. Not pictured: the Revolutionary Franco-Polo-Lithuanio-Aragonese Commonwealth, who are still only about half as powerful as me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

Would you recommend culture flipping to Manchu? It's in the Chinese culture group so it should serve me better now that I'm ready to move on China. Is there any nasty side effects I should be aware of?

Yeah probably, I plan to switch to Manchu shortly in my game. Korean is a lovely primary culture since it's the only one in its group, it makes total sense to switch to Manchu so you can get all Chinese cultures accepted for free at Empire rank. Shouldn't be any side effects.

I got lucky in my run and Ming had their second ruler get the Infertile trait, which gives a good likelihood of dying without an heir and Ming exploding, which it did in glorious fashion :allears: The tough part is that I bought Renaissance, spawned Colonialism, and just bought Printing Press so now all of the mid-size Chinese nations are caught up on tech. It'll be a fun thunderdome conquering China.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Turns out the condoterri thing is actually super useful! My war exhaustion is still going down and my army stuff keeps going up!

I do notice however that I keep taking tons of casualties compared to Burgundy, who I've been hired to fight; do they have better army org than I do, or something? How can I fix that? Also, how do I get unrestful provinces to chill?

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just discovered province developments. Should I spent doves and parchment on those or research?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 22, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

Qing run done. Not much more to say about how it works, once you've gotten rid of those pesky Koreans and found yourself a foothold in China it's pretty much all clear sailing, nobody in Asia or in fact the world can really match you for development or manpower. Yharkand, Kham, and Orissa are vassals I never got around to annexing. I went and knocked off all of Indochina and most of east India just to lighten up my trade situation a little, conquered Japan on a whim, beat the poo poo out of Russia to clean up my Siberian border. Not pictured: the Revolutionary Franco-Polo-Lithuanio-Aragonese Commonwealth, who are still only about half as powerful as me.

I just want to say that I appreciate Alasqa and Qalifornia.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm on vacation and today I visited the castle in Denmark where they used to collect the Sound Toll. There's a little exhibit on it and a video showing the Danish kings being showered in gold while it was active. Cool to visit a place and hear about something that I've experienced so much in the various iterations of EU over the years.

Apparently the end of the Sound Toll was precipitated by an American ship saying "gently caress you" and refusing to pay in the 1850s. Denmark didn't do poo poo and shortly afterwards it was abolished through some treaty. :911:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate Alasqa and Qalifornia.
I was about to post the same thing.

I am really curious who owns the Eastern part of Canada, though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Looks like Gaeldom. I've been seeing them break away from Scotland and colonising America a lot recently.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baron Corbyn posted:

Looks like Gaeldom. I've been seeing them break away from Scotland and colonising America a lot recently.
Gaeldom? Never heard of it before. Is that some generic Gaelic country that can pop out of Scotland and Ireland or something?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 22, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Galedom? Never heard of it before. Is that some generic Gaelic country that can pop out of Scotland and Ireland or something?

It has cores on the Scottish provinces with Highlander culture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Galedom? Never heard of it before. Is that some generic Gaelic country that can pop out of Scotland and Ireland or something?

Yeah I had it pop up in the two games I've played. Seems to pop when england has mostly destroyed scotland. It's like a scottish rump, culture changes to "highlander". I allied with them and helped them take most of scotland and northern england. Weird stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Argh I edited my post too slow, silly Gaeldom. Thanks for the info, I will have to watch for them to pop up.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This Prussia game is truly blessed. After forming Germany and dismantling the HRE, I'm basically playing cheat mode. Just finished bullying Russia + Austria into getting Poland back as a country and most of Austria under me, as I'm preparing to kill off the last couple of OPMs from the leftover HRE...

...I get a PU on Great Britain.

This is the same game where I got Burgundy succession AND Austria under a PU (that I lost some time after to OE), and even lost a Hungary PU to Russia 200 years back.

Sometimes RNG really smiles at you, you know? Pity it's already 1800ish.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 22, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It is indeed Gaeldom in Canada and the Thirteen Colonies, with a bizarre strip of the Netherlands in between. I guess they formed but then got kicked out of Europe, but anyway they hold a strip of land from the St Lawrence River all the way to the Great Lakes. And then Brittany in Florida because why not.

Gaeldom broke away while Scotland was PU'd by France and did pretty well for themselves despite never expanding or finding any significant allies apart from Bohemia. Later Scotland got annexed, but then rebelled. England did nothing to either of them, and never finished conquering Ireland.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

spectralent posted:

Turns out the condoterri thing is actually super useful! My war exhaustion is still going down and my army stuff keeps going up!

I do notice however that I keep taking tons of casualties compared to Burgundy, who I've been hired to fight; do they have better army org than I do, or something? How can I fix that? Also, how do I get unrestful provinces to chill?

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just discovered province developments. Should I spent doves and parchment on those or research?

Condotierri is a nice way to run a profit with mercs when you're peace or AE blocked from expansion so congrats on discovering that.

There could be so many things going on to make this happen that I cannot possibly diagnose this. Do they have better mil tech? Do they have a better general? Do they have better mil ideas? etc. etc.

Separatism goes down over time, 0.5 unrest per year. Unless you've fleshed out Humanist ideas expect at least one revolt from newly conquered territory and then after that the combination of time and religious conversion should make them quiet unless you get into a terrible war or hosed up and let them reset the separatism timer too much. If you really really want to keep rebels quiet you can raise autonomy in the province, trading 25% autonomy in each province for -10 unrest. This may not prevent the first uprising but it can help you keep down a rebellion at an inopportune time.

Keeping mil tech up to date is essential. If you're running an excess either roll up new generals, develop manpower, or depending on the tech in question buy mil tech ahead of time (some of the most important are 12, 15, 19, 23, and 25). As a western nation development isn't a large concern of yours and is something you should do when you end up with more points than you can spend. In the early game it's only worth while in a handful of situation. General rule of thumb, develop manpower and tax in provinces with the nobility and clergy respectively and don't do so in provinces with an unaccepted culture. Develop trade in provinces with a good resource such as your Castillian gold mine province regardless of all other factors because trade doesn't care about culture. Avoid developing in garbage terrain such as mountains unless you're out of options. Don't develop outside of the Iberian peninsula unless out of better options. These are just some rough guidelines.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Still appreciated, thanks.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Important note for culture shifting in general and specifically in regard to the Korea discussion earlier, it used to be you had to move your capital to the target culture and pay stability to Accept Cultural Shift, but now you can just pay 100 DIP for Cultural Shift under your government tab (same UI as promoting cultures) as long as the target culture has 50% or more in your state cores (excluding territories).

So it's a lot easier than it used to be.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I wish the AI would stop spamming me with pointless 30 ducat loan offers when I'm at war with someone they don't like. I'm not even losing money and most of them are the same or higher interest rates than just using the bank. gently caress off.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Wafflecopper posted:

I wish the AI would stop spamming me with pointless 30 ducat loan offers when I'm at war with someone they don't like. I'm not even losing money and most of them are the same or higher interest rates than just using the bank. gently caress off.

That and getting Blockade Ports Casus Belli every two minutes are the worst.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

snoremac posted:

That and getting Blockade Ports Casus Belli every two minutes are the worst.

I disabled CB notifications because yeah they suck too. I'd disable loan offers as well except I might actually want them in some situations. At least it's not as bad as CK2. I love CK2 but having to choose educations for every random courtier's spawn of children every two minutes really put me off playing it more. It has a lot more pointless and irrelevant random events than EU4 as well.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Could someone confirm if I'm doing trade correctly here? I haven't had to deal with upstream/downstream stuff yet.

My home node is Safi. I'm assuming that by collecting in Sevilla I am also receiving money based on the power transferred from Tunis. Earlier I was transferring power from Servilla to Genoa with no merchant placed in Genoa, so I'm assuming that power was going nowhere?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

snoremac posted:

Could someone confirm if I'm doing trade correctly here? I haven't had to deal with upstream/downstream stuff yet.

My home node is Safi. I'm assuming that by collecting in Sevilla I am also receiving money based on the power transferred from Tunis. Earlier I was transferring power from Servilla to Genoa with no merchant placed in Genoa, so I'm assuming that power was going nowhere?

I'm not gonna try to make sense of that screen, personally I just use trade mapmode as I find it much easier to parse. I can tell you that you're correct that transferring value to an end node you're not collecting in is just giving away money. As for collecting outside of your home node, as I understand it that incurs a penalty in your home node. It can still be worth it though, especially if your home node is locked down. Experiment a bit and check your economy screen to see what gives you the highest total trade income. That said, if your power in Sevilla is equal or higher than your power in Safi, you're probably better off moving your home node to Sevilla since Safi feeds into it anyway. Even if your power there is lower you might still be better off as it's a much richer node. Usually you'll only collect outside of your home node if you have a lot of power in a valuable node that you can't steer home, eg. if you were the Venice and locked down Cape of Good Hope you might collect there to siphon all the value flowing out of Zanzibar and Asia before it can reach Genoa, English Channel etc. Or if you have a spare merchant and nothing better to do with him.

e: Value not power, thanks Fister

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 23, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

snoremac posted:

Sending trade to Genoa is a waste. Also you don't transfer trade power, you transfer trade value, which is an important distinction. Trade power is how much influence you have over what happens with the trade value, and trade value is money.

Collecting in Sevilla is bad because your trade capital isn't in that zone, so your trade power there gets cut in half.

Safi is a really lovely node. It only has two nodes upstream from it, and it's completely outside of the New World trade routes. I strongly suggest moving your trade capital to Sevilla ASAP.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 23, 2016

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I had no idea about the penalty incurred for collecting outside the capital. Movin' to Sevilla.

EDIT: Yep, my trade income just rocketed.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 23, 2016

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

How do you move your trade capital? Is it just the node your merchant is collecting trade in?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

snoremac posted:

I had no idea about the penalty incurred for collecting outside the capital. Movin' to Sevilla.

EDIT: Yep, my trade income just rocketed.

Some things to keep in mind that haven't been mentioned. Sending a merchant to collect somewhere outside the home node reduces trade power by 50% in that node. As was mentioned, it can still be worth it in some situations. Also, every merchant transferring value gives +10℅ trade power in the home node, as long as you're not collecting anywhere with a merchant.

Say you have 4 merchants all transferring from the new world and Africa towards Sevilla (if it's your home node), you'll get +40% trade power bonus there.

The wiki can elaborate more. Trade is a bit tricky, but you'll find it's usually the best way to really make a ton of money.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mysticblade posted:

How do you move your trade capital? Is it just the node your merchant is collecting trade in?

Click a province in the new node. On the top of the province screen there are buttons to transfer the capital (which also transfers trade capital) and to transfer just the trade capital. First one is a little crown icon I think.

• Locked thread