Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Amanda Palmer is such an oddly persistent punching bag for weird internet sweatbeards, I'd like to think a guy who raps about making fun of anime clubs and novelty pirate rappers would know better than to stoop to that level.

Alaois posted:

i know, jokes escape me too

Recognizing that something is a joke doesn't make said joke actually funny. Unless you're in the studio audience for a sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Recognizing that something is a joke doesn't make said joke actually funny. Unless you're in the studio audience for a sitcom.

i recognize that all of your posts are extremely funny, especially the ones you don't think are supposed to be

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Guy Mann posted:

Amanda Palmer is such an oddly persistent punching bag for weird internet sweatbeards, I'd like to think a guy who raps about making fun of anime clubs and novelty pirate rappers would know better than to stoop to that level.

Counterpoint: successfully funding a million-dollar kickstarter and then touring without paying guest musicians and asking for more donations mid-show and referring to yourself as Amanda loving Palmer means you deserve any and all scorn and mockery.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Making fun of Amanda Palmer is for sweaty weirdos whereas I, the Something Awful goon who will defend her honor,

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Palmer is very low hanging fruit, but just because the fruit is low hanging doesn't mean there's not reasons to pick it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I think J has also gone on record that, while he isn't necessarily ashamed of those songs, they're also not really points of pride for him.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

Amanda Palmer hate goes way deeper than MRAs. I mean have you ever even heard The Dresden Dolls? Hipsters have been hating on her long before it was cool.

Her innovations in turning cultural cache in to free labor and $$$ is just the latest, most visible shittiness.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I forget if it was J or Collision but one of them DEFINITELY mentioned how awful the Dresden Dolls were in an earlier episode

It was in the Flowers in the Attic episode.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Djeser posted:

Making fun of Amanda Palmer is for sweaty weirdos whereas I, the Something Awful goon who will defend her honor,

This is a fine post and in general I appreciate you

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There's such a thing as a dead horse having been an incredibly lovely rear end in a top hat horse while it was alive

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/jw_friedman/status/793592315805769728

https://twitter.com/jw_friedman/status/793592672871002112

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh my god, "exquisitely wrought novel" is actually the publisher's own promotional text.

Also the words "Kevin J. Anderson" are the biggest threats in that book's description.

Teensie King
Sep 8, 2011

He kinda looks like a horse doesn't he?
Clockwork Angels is a solid album musically, but the plot is typical fantasy drivel about a society with a watchmaker that presents deterministic accounts of every individual life. Also, the album itself is not actually that steampunk besides the reference to the titular angels, some type of mechanized religious symbols, so I don't know how they inject the setting into the novel. Constant references to cogs and steam machinery?

...I kinda want to read it, just to know :v:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've been suggesting both of the awful Kevin J Anderson/Rush books for ages, I'm glad he's going for the meatier one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I've been suggesting both of the awful Kevin J Anderson/Rush books for ages, I'm glad he's going for the meatier one.

...there are two?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Without looking I'd guess that someone did a full 2112 novel since the song itself tells a story in its entirety.

Fake edit: Well, I was basically right.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1770412921?tag=rushisaband-20

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
2112 was Neil Peart basically adapting a book that's already been featured on IDEOTV, Ayn Rand's Anthem.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

That's the guy!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15MqcNwkpq4

I LOVE BEING A BULLY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i can't believe you've done this

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

:syoon:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng what a RUSH

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

My mom has a little free library, and today someone left 8 copies of Arms from the Deep by Rich Shapero in it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Alaois posted:

...there are two?
For some reason, there's a sequel called Clockwork Lives.

I got the album when it came out and loved it (still do), didn't know anything about a book, then saw the book at Barnes & Noble one day. The "Kevin J. Anderson" on the cover was a major red flag, and the story was hardly a point in the album's favor anyway, but even then I wasn't prepared for how cripplingly dull to read the pages I skimmed were. I don't know why Neil Peart got such a hack to put the book together for him, because he's actually a pretty good writer (if you like bike and motorcycle travelogues).

ed: I'm not too far into the episode yet, but I'm not looking forward to an hour and a half of auditory mosquito bites every time they say "purt".

ed 2: Forgot how bad they also are at pronouncing words that aren't surnames. :tizzy:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 16, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I get the feeling that KJA works cheap and fast, what with all his awful Star Wars and Dune EU novels

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ed: I'm not too far into the episode yet, but I'm not looking forward to an hour and a half of auditory mosquito bites every time they say "purt".

:same: Isn't the pronunciation of "Peart" pretty much the "Actually, whales are mammals" of Rush fans

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think it's more of a "Bird knees do not bend backwards!"

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think it's more of a "Bird knees do not bend backwards!"

Nice!

Also: Chris Collision is correct, Subdivisions owns.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

:same: Isn't the pronunciation of "Peart" pretty much the "Actually, whales are mammals" of Rush fans

It's pretty much a thing even the band is in on at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8fsJxRVXs

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
After the most recent episode, I feel the thread title should be "Musicians shouldn't even be allowed near the creation of a book"

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 16, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ghost Rider is genuinely good, though. I was disappointed that it didn't come up in the recommendations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wolf In White Van is pretty decent too

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2016/11/21/xxx-na-no-wri-mo-special-bonus-episode/

I'm only a few of these in and I'm already rolling. This is an episode I will not be able to listen to at work if I want to get anything done.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I almost had an entry for that, but I couldn't decide between the premises I had, and then a bunch of stuff came up that kept me from just sitting down and writing. Good to know that this is only the "first" contest and that I'll likely have another chance next year.

My favorite has to be the one with the guy (?) watching from a doorway as a couple (??) have sex (???). To be so vivid and incomprehensible at once, on purpose, is the mark of some kind of genius.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I already know the last line for my submission next year:

I strapped on my goggles and haptic gloves. Time to log into OASIS.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Choo-choo, all aboard Episode Number The Sex Number

Edit: Oh boy, not even ten minutes in and we have a very creative pronunciation of "Poirot". How? How?

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 28, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I almost had an entry for that, but I couldn't decide between the premises I had, and then a bunch of stuff came up that kept me from just sitting down and writing. Good to know that this is only the "first" contest and that I'll likely have another chance next year.

I got tied up with a bunch of stuff and sending them something slipped my mind. I probably could have just used an excerpt from my own terrible Nanowrimo novel from about ten years ago in which I discovered that Nanowrimo is a terrible, terrible way to write.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Edit: Oh boy, not even ten minutes in and we have a very creative pronunciation of "Poirot". How? How?

I will fight people who A) pronouce Hercule Poirot's name wrong, or B) say he's from France

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

padijun posted:

I will fight people who A) pronouce Hercule Poirot's name wrong, or B) say he's from France

He's from make-believe, I think