Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I'll forgive sushi not having any fish or having some other protein but why not have rice?

Presumably she's also a raw food person? I mean, sure sauerkraut isn't actually raw but they have a thing about heating food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think the idea behind a raw food diet is that heating food destroys some of the nutritional content (whether this is true or not idk, though it sounds very pseudoscientific to me). So pickling or fermenting is fine generally, so long as you don't heat it in the process.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"destroys some of the nutritional content" JUST EAT MORE OF IT THEN

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's minimally destructive. Barring, say, boiling something to death. Cooking some foods makes it more nutritious, like meats. Or tomatoes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was under the impression that cooking food proved to be a huge step forward for early humans because it made the food easier to digest and led to people having to spend less time gathering and eating (raw) food.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

I was under the impression that cooking food proved to be a huge step forward for early humans because it made the food easier to digest and led to people having to spend less time gathering and eating (raw) food.

The advent of cooking is one of the most important evolutionary steps ever taken by a species and almost certainly directly led to increased brain capacity and more structured socialization patterns.

Anyone that thinks raw food is the ideal diet is a petit bougie idiot with literally no knowledge of history, biology, or human physiology. They're worse than paleo people somehow

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xen Tricks posted:

The advent of cooking is one of the most important evolutionary steps ever taken by a species and almost certainly directly led to increased brain capacity and more structured socialization patterns.

Anyone that thinks raw food is the ideal diet is a petit bougie idiot with literally no knowledge of history, biology, or human physiology. They're worse than paleo people somehow

Actually, I am a mother, and

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You're a gelatinous mass of cellulose floating on top of a jar of vinegar ???

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A game for the Nintendo Entertainment System?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RNG posted:

This is like the "egg salad" definition of salad more than the salad-salad one and I'm pretty sure people would order it.

On reflection, someone, at some point, has gone to CiCi's pizza, gotten a salad bowl full of ranch dressing, torn their pizza into chunks, and eaten it with a fork/spoon.

That's exactly what half of my middle school class did on pizza day. Not CiCi's, but with the rectangular thing they called pizza.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Data Graham posted:

You're a gelatinous mass of cellulose floating on top of a jar of vinegar ???

Yes.

NewFatMike posted:

A game for the Nintendo Entertainment System?

Also yes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/8UZq7be.mp4

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

This makes me very sad for every time I watch it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Xen Tricks posted:

I'm an osteoarchaeologist and you guys are both correct.

Also, the term "paleo" makes me haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate. SHAME. Literally shame bell. (On them, not on you.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crust First posted:

They ate it with a tactical spork that they carry with them.

Lol, this can't be real.

*A quick googling later*

Lol drat, that'll teach me to expect so little from the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Nov 23, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

There's an old cookbook at my grandfather's place that has recipes for opossum and skunk. I'll see if I can't dig it up next time I visit him.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LET YOUR PIZZA loving COOL YOU ANIMAL *slams hand on desk* THIS IS WHY PEOPLE THINK PIZZA SALAD NEEDS TO EXIST

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

LET YOUR PIZZA loving COOL YOU ANIMAL *slams hand on desk* THIS IS WHY PEOPLE THINK PIZZA SALAD NEEDS TO EXIST
NO

RULES

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bike tory posted:

I think the idea behind a raw food diet is that heating food destroys some of the nutritional content

This has always been such bizarre reasoning beyond the fact that it's wrong. Even if it were true... so what? I mean you're living in the United States and have enough money to eat a fancy rear end vegan diet. You're not balancing on the edge of starvation where every nutrient matters. Eat a spinach salad occasionally, problem solved.

There is zero reason for anyone with enough money to afford real food in a first world country and isn't some chicken nugget only eating sperglord to be worrying about malnutrition.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

This has always been such bizarre reasoning beyond the fact that it's wrong. Even if it were true... so what? I mean you're living in the United States and have enough money to eat a fancy rear end vegan diet. You're not balancing on the edge of starvation where every nutrient matters. Eat a spinach salad occasionally, problem solved.

There is zero reason for anyone with enough money to afford real food in a first world country and isn't some chicken nugget only eating sperglord to be worrying about malnutrition.

It goes beyond that - people often cite these reasons in the same breath as explaining that they're doing it for weight loss - you know, that process that basically requires that your body access fewer nutrients.

:downs: "But it makes the food more healthy"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Huh.
Ive always heard it as them decrying meat and hot food as the greatest evils that we have ever inflicted upon our (assumedly) delicate bodies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thecluckmeme posted:

The problems with that pizza go much further than its temperature. For a start, the cheese should be under the salami, which would somewhat mitigate the problem of the toppings falling off but obviously wouldn't come close to solving it. The main issue is that it just has way too much cheese, and practically no other toppings. At that point you may as well admit to yourself that what you want is a bowl of melted cheese and just eat that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In addition to Orthorexia, I think these raw foods people may have some undiagnosed illness which they are convinced is cured by eating raw /gluten free/etc. I mean that's the only thing I can think of.

Its also a good example of how privilege can indulge people in weird things like this. If someone is poor they often can't afford to be picky about what they eat /how it's prepared. And given the fact that our food is so calorie dense that even the working poor are heavily affected by obesity, I seriously doubt the problem with food is that we are heating it up destructively.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CommonShore posted:

It goes beyond that - people often cite these reasons in the same breath as explaining that they're doing it for weight loss - you know, that process that basically requires that your body access fewer nutrients.

:downs: "But it makes the food more healthy"

Panfilo posted:

In addition to Orthorexia, I think these raw foods people may have some undiagnosed illness which they are convinced is cured by eating raw /gluten free/etc. I mean that's the only thing I can think of.

Its also a good example of how privilege can indulge people in weird things like this. If someone is poor they often can't afford to be picky about what they eat /how it's prepared. And given the fact that our food is so calorie dense that even the working poor are heavily affected by obesity, I seriously doubt the problem with food is that we are heating it up destructively.
That's missing the fine print. When raw food says its trying to preserve nutrients, its vitamins. Macro-nutrients, the calorie givers, aren't really going anywhere short of fermentation or setting the food on fire. Vitamins can be heat denatured or solvent washed out by boiling in water but that's not a problem in almost any modern diet and potentially might be at cross odds because of anti-nutrient factors that can be mitigated by cooking for a net gain.

Its maybe not surprising that its vegans who get on the odd dietary trains. They generally need to learn some amount of nutrition science to avoid protein and vitamin deficiencies and given the reason people actually go vegan it seems like it'd be really easy to replace that nutrition science with woo.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Whoever said "disguising an eating disorder" was, sadly, right. A lot of people use restricted diets like vegan or gluten-free diets as a way of disguising the fact that they're restricting calories.

Vegans who ramble on about "whole foods" are the funniest, because the only "whole foods" you can get sufficient dietary B12 from aren't vegan. So instead of meeting all their nutritional needs with food, most vegans in fact have to rely on supplements (usually produced by the dreaded Big Pharma) to maintain their health.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Multi-vitamin pills are super cheap and all vegan yo

E: ^^ But I guess there's that :tinfoil:

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Nov 23, 2016

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I wonder who's gonna tell her you're not even supposed to eat sushi with chopsticks.

People say this, but in seven years in Japan, I never saw anyone not use chopsticks. Maybe I didn't go to fancy enough places.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Multi-vitamin pills are super cheap and all vegan yo

E: ^^ But I guess there's that :tinfoil:

Nobody who's not pregnant should take multivitamins, no matter what their dietary preferences. And people who require supplementation because their diet inadequately meets their needs shouldn't preach at omnivores about how superior those inadequate diets are.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I got a buddy who's allergic to fish that's been heat cooked. Something about the protein chains becoming rigid. He can down a sushi platter no problem but he takes a bite of baked salmon and he breaks out. I thought raw food weirdos were misinterpreting stuff like that. Kind of like how I've met one celiac case ever but I know a million dummies with "intolerances".

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Razorwired posted:

I got a buddy who's allergic to fish that's been heat cooked. Something about the protein chains becoming rigid. He can down a sushi platter no problem but he takes a bite of baked salmon and he breaks out. I thought raw food weirdos were misinterpreting stuff like that. Kind of like how I've met one celiac case ever but I know a million dummies with "intolerances".

That is without a doubt the strangest allergy I have ever heard of. I'm not doubting it at all, but wow. :psyduck:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I had a friend who could eat cooked apples but not raw ones. Or maybe the other way around, I don't remember. Anyway that's my story

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My brother is allergic to orange juice, but only the processed stuff in stores. He can drink fresh juice and eat oranges, but something added to the juice during the production process on the way to the shelves fucks it up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

My brother is allergic to orange juice, but only the processed stuff in stores. He can drink fresh juice and eat oranges, but something added to the juice during the production process on the way to the shelves fucks it up.

Urine?

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This discussion reminds me of when I was homeless for a while and ate canned pasta for like 60% of my meals because my ex refused to eat vegetables even while homeless and I would have killed for canned spinach. :(

Cold canned chef boyardee is the most AFP poo poo in the world and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably the GMOs they add in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chitoryu12 posted:

You sure its juice
Not drink
Or simulated fruit liquid

Cuz juice (if thee reside in america) can only be 100% fruit.
Else he may be allergic to things processed in the same place. Or one of the super juicy varietals they like to use.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

chitoryu12 posted:

Sounds like a sulfite allergy. He have any trouble with wine?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I had a friend who could eat cooked apples but not raw ones. Or maybe the other way around, I don't remember. Anyway that's my story

I dated a girl who could eat apples but only if they had been peeled. This wasn't a BS preference thing either - the peels would make her sick.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Gonna quote this post from the funny pictures thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have hosed up enamel on my molars, so I can only eat apples that have been peeled. Something about the skin like spikes the sensitivity of my teeth and then it hurts to brush afterwards :saddowns: