Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I've done a few of the Scrap entertainment rooms in SF and they're super fun (and actually difficult, some puzzles were near La-Mulana levels of obscure and basically needed some educated guessing to get past), though they were differently designed than what the Zelda one sounds like. The puzzles I did were smaller and geared towards individual groups of 11, though. This one sounds like it's gonna be held in some huge convention center with 100+ people playing simultaneously in groups of 6, which sounds kind of similar to what they did for the Attack on Titan partnership. Gonna try drum up interest with my friends for this one....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm going to say most people will probably like Ocarina best, despite Majora and Link Between Worlds probably being better games. It just seems to resonate with a lot of people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Moriatti posted:

I'm going to say most people will probably like Ocarina best, despite Majora and Link Between Worlds probably being better games. It just seems to resonate with a lot of people.

I think Ocarina vibes really well because it's easy and almost impossible to get lost in since it's so linear.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Those cities make me hopeful that Boston could be in a second wave if it's successful. Either way, if I'm ever in New York, it could be fun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

Link Between Worlds is the most recent game that isn't a remake or offshoot, it's fantastic and arguably one of the best in the series.

If the top down style doesn't appeal to her, Ocarina of Time 3d is a good choice. Majora's Mask is great of course but probably less accessible.

I mean, I don't disagree that it's a good game, but LBW is like explicitly an offshoot/remake.

I would recommend OoT for sure as the most iconic memorable game since the NES / SNES era.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Phimosissy posted:

I mean, I don't disagree that it's a good game, but LBW is like explicitly an offshoot/remake.

I would recommend OoT for sure as the most iconic memorable game since the NES / SNES era.

You know what I mean man compared to Hyrule Warriors and the N64 remakes.

I'd still argue it's not, it's pretty explicitly a sequel that uses most of the same half of an overworld map but everything else is entirely different.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh nice it's in my city -- let me see if I can get some coworkers to go. any goons in SF want to team up?

My gf and I got tickets for night one, game 2.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Got tickets for myself and a buddy, any SD Goons going for Day 2 Game 1?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

s.i.r.e. posted:

since it's so linear.

Found the Boss Keys guy's SA account.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This has incredible animation quality for a fan production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbMQfaG6lo8

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome. Are these the guys that did that other Majora's Mask video that people thought was signs of a full blown HD remake?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is fantastic. Nintendo fan projects have been amazing these past few years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carbon dioxide posted:

I like the change of the Mask paralyzing the Salesman rather than the Imp stealing it while he's taking a nap.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Carbon dioxide posted:

drat, that's astonishing. Are they the same people who released Time's End?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes, and it was made to promote the second album which just released.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes, and it was made to promote the second album which just released.

Oh that's awesome, I just discovered Times End recently and after skimming the website had written off part 2 as one of those things that was never gonna come out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus christ that was terrifying.

I never really thought about it before but Majora's Mask is body-horror as fuckkk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Jesus christ that was terrifying.

I never really thought about it before but Majora's Mask is body-horror as fuckkk

Majora's Mask is super horrific in a lot of ways. It's pretty amazing what it does with lovely N64 graphics because the entire game is basically dripping with weird creepy horror elements.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Majora's Mask is as dark as Zelda is ever going to get and everything about the world is beautiful but utterly loving miserable and depressing.

The best Zelda until the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Majora's Mask is as dark as Zelda is ever going to get and everything about the world is beautiful but utterly loving miserable and depressing.

The best Zelda until the end.

To be honest I think it actually feel darker than a theoretical Bloodrape Angstdeath Zelda game would be. Yeah, Link ripping the heart out of his enemy and crushing it would be more violent and grim or whatever but Majora's Mask has this fundamentally 'nice' universe that is just so twisted and broken beneath the surface that it makes the entire thing more uncomfortable than if it was just explicit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I find Majora's Mask to be more unnerving than pretty much every M rated horror game I've played.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The ticking clock constantly reminding you of inevitable doom contributes to that feeling more than about any other aspect. That's how loving horrifying that timer is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I find Majora's Mask to be more unnerving than pretty much every M rated horror game I've played.

Yeah. Like the way it's this demented Wonderland version of Hyrule and everybody just seems slightly morbid and sad is really unnerving. It's the best horror game and it's not even a horror game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speaking of it, the original N64 version is coming to the NA Wii U eShop tomorrow.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Majora's Mask being so focused on their lives and so sad and gloomy was the best choice. It makes the ending that much more satisfying. I imagine the last 3 last 3 days with a Link that has crawled through the jungle of these people's social Vietnam for God knows how long, and he just shows up and starts sprinting through their bullshit like the world's angriest angel fixing their horrific problems and killing monsters, and by the end he doesn't even need a special mask to turn into a pissed off demigod. He's just that ready to put the Mask to bed. Then he just rides off into the gloomy woods like fantasy Time Jesus, having bettered the lives of an entire town.

Bombers Secret Society of Justice *forever*

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's just got this weird air of despair about it. Like everywhere you turn you are confronted with death. Heroes who have already met with it (whose skins you wear). People wrestling with or desperately trying to escape from it. People resolutely refusing to even consider the possibility of it. People coming to terms (or not) with the inevitability of it. It's a game about decay, death, and the end of the world, dressed up in bright cheery colors and a funny costume.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 23, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's also the sad ghost dad skeleton Link from Twilight Princess, completing Majora's Mask's cycle of misery.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bicyclops posted:

That's also the sad ghost dad skeleton Link from Twilight Princess, completing Majora's Mask's cycle of misery.

Hero of Time Link had it the worst.:smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Both his fairy friends left him, nobody knew about his accomplishments, and his whiplash from time travel makes him older than he should be, but hey, at least he got a face full of the older farm lady's boobs, something he probably tries to remember occasionally from his eternal shadowy misery prison, but cannot because it has been so long since he knew what having flesh was like.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. Like the way it's this demented Wonderland version of Hyrule and everybody just seems slightly morbid and sad is really unnerving. It's the best horror game and it's not even a horror game.

It's a world where everyone's facing their collective deaths and the end of all creation, everyone is concerned for their lives and their loved ones and if tomorrow will ever come. People are worried about surviving or carrying out their last tasks while others are ignorant to everything around them trying to keep calm and carry on living as if nothing is going to happen. It's twisted because it's a game where there's nearly no happy, regular folk that you always find in Zelda games because the Moon is going to effect everyone, I mean, even in Zelda people fear Ganondorf and poo poo but they can still live under his tyrannical reign as seen in Ocarina of Time. No Zelda villain holds a candle to Majora in that he just wants everything to not exist, it's Chaos in it's purest form. Ganondorf just wants everyone to lick his balls while being all powerful, he's almost cartoony compared to Majora.

The other great part about Majora's Mask is that you can correct all of the sad poo poo happening and destroy the ultimate evil and that's why it's so loving rewarding.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's a world where everyone's facing their collective deaths and the end of all creation, everyone is concerned for their lives and their loved ones and if tomorrow will ever come. People are worried about surviving or carrying out their last tasks while others are ignorant to everything around them trying to keep calm and carry on living as if nothing is going to happen. It's twisted because it's a game where there's nearly no happy, regular folk that you always find in Zelda games because the Moon is going to effect everyone, I mean, even in Zelda people fear Ganondorf and poo poo but they can still live under his tyrannical reign as seen in Ocarina of Time. No Zelda villain holds a candle to Majora in that he just wants everything to not exist, it's Chaos in it's purest form. Ganondorf just wants everyone to lick his balls while being all powerful, he's almost cartoony compared to Majora.

The other great part about Majora's Mask is that you can correct all of the sad poo poo happening and destroy the ultimate evil and that's why it's so loving rewarding.

Yeah, like OoT it's like "Yes, the horrible Ganondorf... he made us move twenty yards, and also he took over that one horse farm, sort of, by way of an incompetent Luigi guy, so we're scared" whereas MM is more like "Soon, everything we know will be gone, and all of us were in the middle of our stories. We will be unable to get past our petty feuds or the things holding us back from growth before we all die."

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I find Majora's Mask to be a fascinating look at OoT Link's character, assuming full notebook completion is canon.

After the events of OoT, he'd have every reason to be jaded and bitter. It'd be entirely understandable if he just wanted to get his ocarina back, stop the moon, and gently caress off again. But instead, he dedicates weeks' worth of 3-day cycles to bettering the lives of every single person he meets, obsessively journaling their schedules into his notebook, and making sure everyone in Termina is better off than he left them. All with no real thought of reward since, if he did his job right, most of Termina will only remember him as "that kid in green that ran around town for a few days then disappeared."

Or maybe I just think too much about Video Games, that's also an option.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Majora's Mask owned its limitations in a way I don't think any other piece of media ever has. It was all the result of being told to make a Zelda game in a year, and so much of the game came from that. It recycles assets from OoT to save time but creates this weird, twisted alternate version of things you know. They couldn't make a big sprawling world so they made a smaller one you did more in.

For some reason, the single thing I always remember the most about that game is Skull Kid's scream to bring down the moon. Because even that scream is grappling with limitations, it's straining against what the N64 is capable of and you can feel it. It adds this weird extra edge to it that I love.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DanielCross posted:

I find Majora's Mask to be a fascinating look at OoT Link's character, assuming full notebook completion is canon.

After the events of OoT, he'd have every reason to be jaded and bitter. It'd be entirely understandable if he just wanted to get his ocarina back, stop the moon, and gently caress off again. But instead, he dedicates weeks' worth of 3-day cycles to bettering the lives of every single person he meets, obsessively journaling their schedules into his notebook, and making sure everyone in Termina is better off than he left them. All with no real thought of reward since, if he did his job right, most of Termina will only remember him as "that kid in green that ran around town for a few days then disappeared."

No, Link exploits this and helps people only so far as to get what he needs from them, then resets time and ignores them next time around. Leaving them to their fate. What a dick.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cleretic posted:

For some reason, the single thing I always remember the most about that game is Skull Kid's scream to bring down the moon. Because even that scream is grappling with limitations, it's straining against what the N64 is capable of and you can feel it. It adds this weird extra edge to it that I love.

Literally gives me full-body goosebumps every time I hear it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DanielCross posted:

That's totally OoT Link though, or really any Link, he doesn't do it for the fame or reward but to do the right thing, rid the world of evils and make everyone happy. The rewards are always secondary to him but they help him out.

Hedrigall posted:

No, Link exploits this and helps people only so far as to get what he needs from them, then resets time and ignores them next time around. Leaving them to their fate. What a dick.

Not quite, I think the final cutscene assumes that Link completed everything in the notebook and did it before taking on Majora, even if you didn't. Though, I wish they had the time to make it where the ending changed depending on what you did that cycle. Imagine beating Majora and everyone in the final cutscene still being miserable because you didn't help them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I always assumed that upon beating Majora and breaking the Mask's power, all the various 3-day cycles "collapsed" into one 3 day period of this weird mute kid solving everyone's problems all over town.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was sure there was a cutscene where Tatl thinks the Giants + the Goddess of Time would help, like, consolidate all of your good deeds but I'm starting to think I dreamed it up.

Also a lot of the problems in the area are caused by, like, the latent miasma of helplessness and despair of the impending and unstoppable moonfall. I feel like if you beat the dungeon bosses, tackle Kafei & Anju, and help out the Ranch before beating the game, the rest probably takes care of itself. I've seen some speedrunners at it, you can get an astonishing amount of stuff done in three days.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not quite, I think the final cutscene assumes that Link completed everything in the notebook and did it before taking on Majora, even if you didn't. Though, I wish they had the time to make it where the ending changed depending on what you did that cycle. Imagine beating Majora and everyone in the final cutscene still being miserable because you didn't help them.
The New Day cutscenes over the ending credits vary according to which masks you got (and, I think, how many Great Fairies you rescued) so some at least of Link's Termina timelines have merged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

s.i.r.e. posted:

One of the few bright spots of Majora's Mask is the Goddess of Time has your back in all this poo poo going down. It's why you keep gear between loops, and the better assumption is she's knitting the recursive timelines together after the fact to make them all part of a single "true" timeline.

Spergatory posted:

It's just got this weird air of despair about it. Like everywhere you turn you are confronted with death. Heroes who have already met with it (whose skins you wear). People wrestling with or desperately trying to escape from it. People resolutely refusing to even consider the possibility of it. People coming to terms (or not) with the inevitability of it. It's a game about decay, death, and the end of the world, dressed up in bright cheery colors and a funny costume.

You're forgetting the Clock itself. The bell is this echoing gloomy chime that is anything but pleasant, and when it starts tolling repeatedly during the final six hours it is downright depressing.