Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't really love the way people move in TCW at any point, but by god you can see the infinite budget it had in any given seen compared to Rebels.

Rebels does a single little station in a cloud, Clone Wars does massive city scapes and it's full atmospherics and cinematic lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbE9lmyxDw

So like, the space battle happening here is entirely incidental to the plot. They could just have snuck onto the command ship and the plot would have carried on regardless. The show was like that across the board, with big elaborate new sets and monsters for each new arc. Even when they were in familiar locations like coruscant they would be visiting new levels and places within them all the time. Rebels has definitely gotten better at this (Compared to Lothal and it's one road in season 1) But it's still a long way behind.

Also, man, that anthology format let them do some goofy poo poo. Godzilla on coruscant! CSI bit! I like Rebels well enough, but I really miss Clone Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ShineDog posted:

Also, man, that anthology format let them do some goofy poo poo. Godzilla on coruscant! CSI bit! I like Rebels well enough, but I really miss Clone Wars.
Same. Loved the Face/Off episodes, the train heist, and the Space 'Nam (Umbara) arc. If you want to get a good glimpse into Rex's character,watch that set.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

:staredog:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Where do they post all those art asset pics? I tried to find one for the outrider last ep and couldnt find it

\/\/ Thanks \/\/

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 22, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

boop

They changed the title of the gallery, probably because "Behind-the-Scenes" likely sees more clicks than "Concept Art"

Sharma
Nov 4, 2012

Just started season 3. Can anyone explain that whole giant mountain buffalo force guru guy thing? All of a sudden Kanan could see and he was touching giant white spiders...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He's using the force to enhance his other senses. The giant white spiders are force sensitive and can feel fear and react hostilely.

The giant mountain buffalo force guru is a giant mountain buffalo force guru. V:v:V

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

giant mountain buffalo force guru with an epic voice

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Would you like a jelly baby?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Woebin posted:

Is it just me or has the animation been really slow and sluggish this season?

One thing about the animation is how the characters move when they talk. No one is bobbing and moving their head/body that much in regular conversation.

I get they don't want static models talking and movement in animation is good but it's slowly gotten worse on Rebels over the seasons.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really hate how everyone in rebels has really weak mushy poorly defined shoulders. Just arms sticking out of a torso.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Would you like a jelly baby?

I am looking a blue box its bigger on the inside.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ShineDog posted:

I really hate how everyone in rebels has really weak mushy poorly defined shoulders. Just arms sticking out of a torso.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Annnnd we've reached the stretch of the season where I start forgetting that new episodes are indeed airing. Feeling sort of bad about it too, as today's episode was HONDO-TASTIC :dance:

Also, hey AP-5, that guy's cool

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

as much fun as having those two dumbasses around is I kind of hope this is it for them appearing this season. However I would love to see more AP-5, his despondence works well

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Ezra's face when Hondo is around is the greatest, he just totally buys into Hondo-madness

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I really liked this episode, the ship falling away into the clouds was a great visual.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As much as a love a good droid... enough with the battle droids.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I like how we all pegged that as a new dark trooper from the trailer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hondo is the kind of character that him showing up every once and a while is great, but if he's used too much, he just becomes annoying.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ShineDog posted:

I like how we all pegged that as a new dark trooper from the trailer.

I mean, it's possible they still are Dark Troopers. We don't really know the back story. Maybe the program got scrapped and the remaining prototypes were relegated to defending freighters.

Disney marketing is intentionally alluding to Dark Forces in promoting it (I think the Twitter announcement for the episode said something like "it's about to get Dark in here"), not to mention the fact that the visual design can't be a mistake. This is a sideways thing of restoring stuff to canonicity just like Thrawn, Malachor, and the YT-2400.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Chickenwalker posted:

I mean, it's possible they still are Dark Troopers. We don't really know the back story. Maybe the program got scrapped and the remaining prototypes were relegated to defending freighters.

Disney marketing is intentionally alluding to Dark Forces in promoting it (I think the Twitter announcement for the episode said something like "it's about to get Dark in here"), not to mention the fact that the visual design can't be a mistake. This is a sideways thing of restoring stuff to canonicity just like Thrawn, Malachor, and the YT-2400.

My first thought was Dark Troopers also, they definitely have the look.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah, they definitely have the look of the Mark 1s.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Finally caught up -- pretty decent season so far - the Clone Wars throwback being my favorite so far. Some great emotion and story in that episode . But it seems most episodes are just about gearing up so far. Unsure where anything is heading.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Sammus posted:

My first thought was Dark Troopers also, they definitely have the look.

Coffeehitler posted:

Yeah, they definitely have the look of the Mark 1s.

This week's Rebels Recon outright states Dark Forces as inspiration for the sentry droids; they were originally going to be the wee probe droids that we've seen time and again on the series, but those were deemed "too boring" and were replaced by the Phase One-alikes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

Unsure where anything is heading.

Well, apart from the obvious "Thrawn bides his times .... and bides his time .... and bides his time .... and then makes a single move on the metaphorical chessboard and puts everyone in check."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure all the hunting around for proton bombs they're doing this season is gonna be related to Rogue One or the attack on the Deathstar somehow, maybe that space battle they briefly show in the last trailer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's been forever since I read the original Thrawn trilogy but was he always this sorta sympathetic towards the Rebels? He's let them easily leave too many times now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vintersorg posted:

It's been forever since I read the original Thrawn trilogy but was he always this sorta sympathetic towards the Rebels? He's let them easily leave too many times now.

it's not sympathy, he's just moving up the chain. Rather than endlessly taking out small cells one at a time, after they've done damage, only for new ones to replace them months later, he's trying to force the entire rebel fleet into one location, where he can spring a trap, and decapitate the entire rebellion in one go.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I hope he gets at least a couple of actual victories, before the Rebels outsmart him and Dodonna gets away with a squadron of Y-wings fully armed with proton torpedoes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
When does Thrawn reveal he has a Jedi clone who is totally insane and adds little to the overall plot and is generally a bad, easily forgotten character?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ezzra?

Eezra?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Vintersorg posted:

Ezzra?

Eezra?

Kaanaaan

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hondo should've looted this treasure. :unsmigghh:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hondo's smart enough to leave that poo poo for the Nazis Empire.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Canon" is a toxic concept in fiction. I enjoy Rebels but as someone who never read the books (because they've always been fake Star Wars) I can really tell when they are giving winking fan service and it's just gross.

It's like they wiped the slate clean only to bring everything back. That's stupid. I get mining for ideas because I get laziness. But just shoving all that nasty poo poo back in is really unfortunate.

"I have a great idea! What if the Space Nazis weren't actually racist and, get this, an ALIEN got a super high rank! A Jewish General in the Wehrmacht supporting the SS. This is a great character!"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He's more Space Japanese than Space Jewish Nazi collaborator.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

"Canon" is a toxic concept in fiction

So every single story ever told should be completely standalone?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shbobdb posted:

"Canon" is a toxic concept in fiction. I enjoy Rebels but as someone who never read the books (because they've always been fake Star Wars) I can really tell when they are giving winking fan service and it's just gross.

It's like they wiped the slate clean only to bring everything back. That's stupid. I get mining for ideas because I get laziness. But just shoving all that nasty poo poo back in is really unfortunate.

"I have a great idea! What if the Space Nazis weren't actually racist and, get this, an ALIEN got a super high rank! A Jewish General in the Wehrmacht supporting the SS. This is a great character!"

Fitting post+avatar combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

So every single story ever told should be completely standalone?

that's not what canon refers to

• Locked thread