Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yulia

Her medical and mechanical skills are not much to boast of - she's not really that kind of doctor - but she is happy to do what she can, providing another pair of hands in the infirmary. She doesn't trust herself to do any of the actual medical care that Victoire can provide but Yulia does follow in the Frenchwoman's wake, changing the dressing of some wounds, or fetching chilled clothes for some of the burns.

Given the whispered words they'd been passed along from Barton-Morewood, though, it's hard not to pry a little further. She keeps her voice low when speaking to Grace, "All these men being treated came from somewhere around the engines, yes? It is possible any saboteur was there. It could be they were injured as well, caught in their own device. Or maybe someone saw something, do you think?"

For the sake of a round of posting, just assuming Dicky's passed along the general idea of Pyke's suspicion. Yulia has a plan to prod patients for information, but Yulia is actually not good at that sort of thing. She has high Investigation but not really anything like Streetwise or Persuasion.
I roped in Grace, but of Raze would rather I didn't, I'll edit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

"Yes, you're right. We'd better ask around," Grace answers Yulia at a similar volume. She looks over her shoulder at Pyke and then continues whispering to the Evenk academic, "But let's get Commander Bell's permission, first, Dr. Khulanova."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Bradley Hewitt
Bennies 2

"I think it would be advisable to set up a meeting with commander Bell." Bradley then whispers, "I probably should have one of the soldiers of our team with me at all times. If some spy is after what I have, then they might make an attempt to take the documents by force."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Ronnie

He still breathes heavily after escaping the boiler and generator. Pyke gets a solemn nod, though Ronnie still coughs. "Ahem." He clears his throat as best he can, and even without looking it feels black, like coal. And then he looks to Bradley. "If that's the case, I will stay with you this time. No matter who is out there I can deal with them. And well...I was suspicious then. And more now." Looking down, gritting his teeth, he adds, "Anyone who has seen us gets checked. I'll leave figuring it out to the rest of you." A pause, and then: "Someone send word to Brigadier Roberts that I would like to catch up. Rome, and all."

He grins. "And tell him the worst is yet to come."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 19, 2016

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

He listens at Pyke's bedside, face grim, and nods, arms folded across his chest. "I'll go help with what I can, construction-wise," he says, once Ronnie volunteers to watch Bradley and his briefcase. "May hear something."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Victoire Doucet, W 4/4, B 3, D 0/6, S 7/7, Fatigue 2

Vic knows that her two strength in this life are shooting Nazis and patching up non-Nazis. Since the team had not quite figured out who the Nazis hidden among this ship were there really was only one option to help fight the good fight.

She spends her day in the ship's infirmary treating the wounded with Yulia's assistance.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Richard 'Dicky' Barton-Morewood

Sweat pours down his face and soaks his clothes as he takes control over the fixing of the emergency fuel shut-off. There's no time to panic about the chances of another imminent explosion despite the warning shouts from the crewman next to him. Moving aside the wires, he tries to find some obvious cause of the problem only to realize the wires are the problem. Noticing they're clearly disconnected by hand only confirms what he's suspected about this chaos for some time; it's sabotage.
The pressure continues to rise in the pipes whilst the heat and near-deafening squealing hiss threatens to overwhelm, but he continues to keep calm and think of nothing else than simply reconnecting the wires quickly and accurately. Thankfully he has some experience with repairs, albeit on planes and not giant ice boats, but the repairs are made as precisely as he can make them.

With what must be minutes to go before another explosion, he slams down on the fuel shut-off button and doesn't release a long, relieved breath until he hears the pressure decrease and the tension of the room along with it. If there's any praise given to him by crewmen, he doesn't wait around to hear it as he's soon walking rather shakingly out of the room to have a much needed shower, leaving the last of the fire to be handled by the crewmen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's not long after he's washed off the smoke and changed his clothes that he's called to Pyke's bedside to have the man only confirm what he already knows. "That's what I thought, Sir. All too obvious it was done by hand when I got up close with the shut-off panel. Just our luck to have a bloody Jerry saboteur on board..." And here he thought this cruise would be a boring one until they arrived. He coughs almost as much as Pyke, although not nearly as rough and hoarsely.

As Pyke sends them on their way to Commander Bell, he snaps off a salute. "Will do, Sir. You heal up quick and don't worry about the saboteur. We'll get the bugger responsible and let you get a few good right hooks in when we do."

He turns to the others, grinning slightly under his slightly singed moustache that he will now be playing detective. "You lot are free to do as you will, but I'm going to Commander Bell. This Jerry-hugger almost blew me and everyone else down there into the deep so I'm sure as hell going to drag him in myself. Besides, any work we do to help prepare this boat is useless if it's still at risk from sabotage."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Jeremiah - Commander's Office

Arms folded behind his back, Commander Bell levels a leery look at Sgt. Barton-Morewood and his accompaniment; having laid out Pyke's confided suspicions to the man, his expression seems skeptical at best. Clearing his throat, Commander Bell speaks. "I can understand your inclination to agree with Sir Pyke--and the circumstances of the fire are regrettably timed and would seem a nature fit for such paranoia. However."

Commander Bell draws down, gesturing about the office--beads of moisture still lingering here and there among the bergship's chilled interior. "I'll be perfectly blunt with you: the Jeremiah was not ready for this operation. This vessel is a prototype in every measure of the word--and I must make note of the fact that any of the engineers involved can cite a history of outright disastrous tests, ongoing maintenance problems," Bell ticks off his fingers as he proceeds, "engineering flaws, equipment malfunctions and design shortcomings to fill a filing cabinet of reports."

Shaking his head, Commander Bell, tightens his jaw. "Quite frankly, an engine failure is par for the course." With a wearisome sigh, Bell crosses his arms. "In forty-two, Pyke proposed this madness to Lord Mountbatten--an impossible venture, built from ice, easy to repair, incredible in scope. His notion wasn't even the first--a German scientist by the name of Doctor Gertz tested a prototype in Lake Zurich in the thirties--an 'airport island'. You may have seen it in the sidelines of Popular Mechanics." Bell smirks, though there is little mirth.

"Sir Pyke's proposal circulated the Royal Navy's Admiralty in forty-four--and was mocked, quite roundly. Were it not for Mountbatten's support of Pyke, the project would never have made it off the ground and been scrapped--but Mountbatten had Churchill's ear and his insistence let this madness float." Bell's nose wrinkles somewhat for a moment. "Project Habakkuk. We stand aboard the third Habakkuk, to be precise--and Pyke dubbed named it Jeremiah for the Biblical prophet who underwent scorn and derision for his role as the voice of God..."

Commander Bell falls silent a moment, reaching to pinch the bridge of his nose. "But that's beyond the point. The other prototypes never reached completion--and barely managed to stay afloat altogether. From square one, this whole undertaking has been a ludicrous exercise--and make no mistake, I am not optimistic about the Jeremiah or its chances." Bell rests his palms on his desk, leveling a look to those assembled. "If you begin questioning personnel aboard this vessel--and Pyke's hunch is incorrect--we'll have a whole new problem on our hands." His jaw tightens. "Can you be absolutely certain of your conviction?"

Commander Bell is preeeetty skeptical about the potential for Sabotage. To conduct an investigation is substantial clearance over a very large number of men and women on this vessel--now is your chance to make your case.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov

Irakliy, who has been silent thus far, speaks up. "I am certain of very little in life, Commander." He chuckles. "Especially when it comes to ice-boats. But... this does not seem right to me." He taps a finger on the table. "For both fuel shutoffs and water supplies to fail is possible, but smells of either grotesque negligence or sabotage. They are not isolate problems, both are ways to stop same disaster. Deliberate. Would it hold up in courtroom? No. But this is no courtroom." He straightens back up. "I know I am not technically part of project, sir. But I would like to take point on questioning." He half-smiles. "I know thing or two about asking questions without raising eyebrows. And while I am officer, I am not naval officer or British officer. Less likely to appear as part of chain of command."

I also don't think you'd be comfortable having me around the machinery, is implied. Irakliy isn't stupid.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yulia

She looks to the others, raising her eyebrows a bit. She tightens her mouth, "A question never asked is seldom answered. But as my comrade says, we are guests here on this vessel, and it is not our place." She bows her head briefly as a sign of respect, then smiles. For any of the rest of the joint team, who have spent more than a small amount of time with the doctor, it is plain on her polite face that she has every intention of remaining nosy and poking about. But she isn't saying as such to the Commander.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

The pilot stands at the front of the group, his clothes still singed and smelling of smoke. Although he cannot blame Commander Bell for his doubt, he cannot agree that this should be overlooked as merely an accident. To Yulia, he gives a quick wink and grin when the Commander is not looking, fully knowing she intends to poke around anyway given her eagerness to do so back in the Infirmary.

He clears his throat with yet another small raspy cough before he speaks.

"Commander, I was the one to fix the emergency fuel shut-off." It is not boasting but meant to convey that he was not simply standing by. "And the problem was not from malfunction or lack of care but from deliberate tampering. The wires inside the shut-off case were detached and disconnected, by hand to ensure another deadly explosion, of which I am certain." He takes a breath, reminding himself not to get too carried away in front of a superior. "I understand how delicate this situation is, with so many soldiers from different countries aboard. Questioning their loyalties is the last thing we need. But I do believe an investigation into this situation is as vital as the repairs and preparation of this vessel, Sir. If there is even a chance that a Nazi agent is on board, then it must be looked into.

"I assure you, Sir. I do not mean to run around making accusations, rather I will simply gather facts and details. With your permission, my first action will be to inquire as to who was on duty before the explosion but absent when it occurred, as it seems a reasonable first step."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

She smiles at Commander Bell while her compatriots present their case. "I wouldn't feel safe if we didn't follow up on it, sir," Ms. Flynn squeaks as she tilts her head.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

The knowledge that the ship was the third of its kind and the only one that stayed afloat settles in the pit of his stomach and rests there uneasily, like a plate of greasy fish and chips after a night carousing. He glances around at the suddenly a lot more melty-looking bulkheads, hands at parade rest, then nods to the Commander as he speaks. He'll stay out of this one, seeing as he's got no pertinent information to offer to bolster any claims of sabotage.

Seems Dicky does, though. He looks at the man with interest, then back at the Commander to see what he says.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Jeremiah - Commander's Office

Commander Bell levels a grim look for a few silent moments, jaw set and brow tightly knit; after considering, the man nods once. "Very well. I'll authorize your investigation--you have full authority to proceed, and access to the Jeremiah's facilities and personnel." Bell crosses his arms against his chest. "This is not a privilege to be taken lightly--you'll need to make a full accounting of your efforts, to me, on a daily basis." A glance toward Grace and the others, briefly. "You can requisition sidearms from the arsenal; if you need some muscle, you can also request assistance from the Jeremiah's security officers."

Gesturing then towards the array of folders on his desk, Commander Bell nods ahead. "I must remind you all, however, that the main order of business is devising our battle plan--and to ready the bergship for the assault itself. I expect that many of you will be playing a part in the planning process--but your assistance with the Jeremiah would also be appreciated. We have a lot of work ahead of us and two weeks to make it happen. As it currently stands, Jeremiah is only barely combat-ready."

Readying Jeremiah

Alright, ladies and gents--as we proceed to tackle the two week journey toward Antarctica, we've arrived at the cusp of a partly more abstracted situation with many fronts. Mechanically speaking, there are a variety of areas of skill and expertise that can contribute toward the greater whole of preparing Jeremiah and its crew for the battle ahead. Collectively, this is gauged as the Jeremiah's Readiness Level.

Savage Worlds has fairly snazzy systems to help support Mass Combat occurring simultaneously with party-level antics--and as you might imagine, that will come into play with the Allied assault on Antarctica. Whatever the ultimate outcome of the Jeremiah's Readiness Level, it will translate to a bonus--or penalty, applied to all combat-related skills originating on Jeremiah for both your team and all the crew aboard the vessel (e.g. Knowledge (Gunnery), Piloting, Repair and so on.)

Moving forward, every two days the Jeremiah's crew make collective tests in an effort to fast-track the bergship to combat-ready status and shore up its myriad shortcomings; due to the rushed launch, precarious prototype status and skewed resources, these tests are currently heavily penalized. Your efforts can help to support these tests however, by way of any among you who elect to volunteer and leverage any one of a selection of skills--each round taking the form of a two-day-long shift.

These shift tests are considered Cooperative Rolls, so if you double-up or triple up etc. on the same skill, you can contribute collectively to the final result. Do be advised, the Bennies you have currently are what you have to work with for the two weeks ahead, generally speaking--so spend them wisely. I'll be looking for essentially montage-style posts from folks for their shifts intermittent as we go, basically, with opportunities to put your heads together throughout.

In the hypothetical situation that there are efforts to sabotage the Jeremiah, a prospective saboteur or saboteurs may also make efforts to sabotage the Jeremiah's Readiness Level. In the event that someone or someones might have affected the Jeremiah, members of your team or the crew may encounter various hazards depending upon what you may tackle working on during a given shift.

Those of you who elect to pursue this particular goose chase in investigation of possible sabotage will need to seek evidence; making accusations off of hunches along will only get you so far and there are a lot of eyes and ears--and hands on deck--involved even in just the Starboard Engine room. If there are, hypothetically, one or more saboteurs, revealing your hand early might make fully resolving the issue more difficult.

Two-day cooperative skill shifts include:
Knowledge (Communications)
Knowledge (Languages) (or just having many languages, really--providing translation services for the multi-national compliment of soldiers, sailors and officers)
Knowledge (Sonar)
Healing (sickbay duty for those injured in the explosion and/or hypothetical hazards)
Repair (investigators with the Jury Rig edge receive a +2 bonus to their roll.)

Investigators add a +1 to the crew's Repair roll for every success and raise obtained during these shifts; the maximum cumulative bonus for a given roll (e.g. Repair) is +4 regardless of the number of investigators or successes. If a roll is a Failure, no bonus or penalty is applied--however, that investigator will be barred from using the same skill again unless they can convince the crew chief of another attempt with a successful Persuasion roll.

With a second failure, the discouragement will last the rest of the journey regardless of persuasive efforts. If a 1 is rolled on the Skill die, regardless of Wild Die results, an investigator causes a setback in the readiness efforts--inflicting a -1 penalty to the crew's tests, and barring that investigator from assisting for a week. In the event of this, that investigator is assuredly going to encounter a Hazard as well.

Current Readiness Level: In Very Bad Shape

In addition to Jeremiah's Readiness Level, during these two weeks you will also be establishing a second value: Strategy. While the Readiness Level applies to all combat launched from the Jeremiah itself, the final results of your Strategy value will similarly serve as a blanket modifier for the primary combat-related skills from the assault force storming the shore, an abstract representation of how sound the strategies will be for the deployed forces.

If planning goes poorly and Strategy is low, the airborne, seaborne and ground forces will be hindered--and where applicable, the two values will overlap. Strategy meetings are held daily, but the Command staff, unless convinced otherwise, are only interested in the attendance of actual military investigators.

The good news is that the Command team that has been assembled for this operation is bristling with very accomplished officers with a great deal of experience, which has helped to establish the start of a stratagem that is serviceable in spite of extraordinary unconventional and difficult hurdles to account for.

Current Strategy: Flawed

Much like the efforts to ready the Jeremiah every two days the Command team will be convening with their combined efforts taking part in improving the battle plan for the assault ahead. Investigators with the Knowledge (Battle) skill and a good relationship with the top commanders can contribute via a Cooperative roll.

Collectively, success on the main Knowledge (Battle) roll being made by the Commanders advances Strategy to the next level, with raises giving a bonus to the next round, rather than advancing additional levels. Failure does nothing, but a critical failure will lower Strategy as new obstacles are surfaced.

Of course, beyond readiness and battle planning, some of you are no doubt going to want to pursue rooting out possible sabotage or possibly traitorous crew in your midst. In the hypothetical situation that there is credence to Pyke's concerns, this is a process that will be something like an onion to which I will simply say: you'll probably want to start by investigating the Starboard Engine Room as your first order of business.

Finally, as food for thought to consider, but to be addressed later: there will come a time where all of you will determine which portion of the assault you're going to attend to or participate in, of which there will be several by land, sea and air--as well as remaining aboard Jeremiah itself. Make no mistake: the assault on Antarctica will be a pivotal and very substantial battle of considerable scope when the time comes.

Everyone receives 5 experience points, gaining a new Advance.

Good luck!

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

He gives Commander Bell a sharp salute. "Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir. We'll get started right away and lend a hand however we can with preparations." With that he exits the Commander's room before turning to his comrades.

"Right, there's no shortage of tasks for us to get stuck into and you're all free to act as you wish, as far as I see it." He's still not too certain if he's technically in charge of this group, but he may as well act it until told otherwise. "Catching this possible saboteur, preparing the ship or helping with planning; it's your choice."

He coughs again, still feeling smoke in his throat. "I however am going to keep on for proof of this saboteur and see if I can't route the bugger out. I'm off to the Engine Room again to look for clues, I'll be grateful for whoever of you joins in. Anyone who wants to help elsewhere, well... Stay safe. Work well. And keep vigilant."

The pilot turns and heads through the hallways again, not waiting to see who follows him. After another short walk through the levels of the vessel, he enters the Starboard Engine Room once more and takes a look around at the state of the place before searching around for obvious hints and signs of sabotage.

Using the Advance to bump Vigor up to d8.

<A_Velociraptor> !wild d6 (Repair)
* AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for A_Velociraptor and got ( 4 5 ) Results: 5
# Using Repair skill to search for any sign of sabotage in the room. #

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

"I'll be helping you out by making them understand each other," she tells Yulia once they leave the room. Grace then leans into whisper to her fellow linguist, "At least that's my story." She giggles and grins at her partner.

Gráinne Flynn generally works to facilitate communication between the heterogeneous Allied forces. She ulteriorly uses it as cover for her investigation with Dr. Khulanova. The agent finds it easier than ever to ingratiate herself due to recent triumphs!

Knowledge (Languages) check: * AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for Razeam and got ( 1 8 ) Results: 8.

Advance on buying the Charismatic Edge.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Victoire Doucet, W 4/4, B 3, D 0/6, S 7/7,

"Zere are still a lot of wounded sailors after that whole engine business. For now my skills are probably best used in ze infirmary." Victoire tells the group. Large scale strategy really wasn't her cup of tea since that isn't really in the purview of a guerrilla fighter so she figured she'd help to get this ship ready for the Antarctic landing.

"I'll keep my eyes and ears open, maybe I will stumble on something. Else I might join ze investigation later. Zese sailors might be more inclined to talk to a French civilian mademoiselle," she gives a mock curtsy, "than just another authority figure I guess."

Victoire spends her two day shift helping out in the sick bay that is no doubt still busy with all the wounded.

Advance: Agility d8->10, paving the ways for some skills
Healing check: ***AchtungBot rolled a (1d12+2) with wild die for FathisMunk and got ( 7 7 ) Results: 7

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bradley Hewitt
Bennies 2

After the debriefing, Bradley volunteered to help out with the translation of documents. His efforts to help out also gave him the opportunity to keep an eye open for any irregularities that might produce a clue as to the identity of the saboteur. Meanwhile in the evenings Bradley spent his free time going over the occult books that he had been studying.

AchtungBot rolled a (1d10) with wild die for Docbubonic_away and got ( 6 8 ) Results: 8 for translations
AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for Docbubonic_away and got ( 4 5 ) Results: 5 for investigations
Advance: +1 die to Knowledge (Mythos) d4 to d6, Knowledge (Occult)(Sma) d8 to d10

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 23, 2016

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Sgt. Willis

Sabotage was an ugly, ugly word, and Ted wasn't much enthused about being outspoken either for or against the possibility. He knew drat well that sometimes complex machinery acted like it had a mind of its own, and would turn in your hand and try to bite you. For a prototype ship to nearly blow itself to pieces wasn't out of his realm of belief. Still, it was mighty chancy timing, and if the others felt like they had evidence of a saboteur Ted wasn't going to call them wrong. Neither, though, would he stick his neck out to help them, even if he does take the opportunity to draw a pistol from the armory just to feel a little less naked on board the notionally allied-controlled ship. He wouldn't be much use in interrogating people or doing any of the high-forehead work. What Ted could do instead of lay in his bunk all day loading up on magazines and pulp novels was get down into the bowels of the ship and repair things. Maybe he wasn't so much at fixing the ship, but an invasion like this meant they were carrying a literal and figurative ton of other vehicles even aside from planes. Those, he could work with.

Heading to the pharmacist's mate, Ted drew himself a little supply of go-pills; usually those were for bomber pilots on long hauls, but the three stripes on his shoulder and the fresh bronze star combined with Ted's winning personality got him some of the little white pills that he knew from Normandy would keep you going as long as you needed to go. He could do a lot more work on the DUKWs and even some amphib tanks if he burned the candle at both ends and slept a few hours a night at most. Hell, he'd have time before landing to catch up, but for now, the work came first. Heading down into the vehicle bay where he expected to live for at least a few days, he started methodically going through vehicles one after another, wrenching on a transmission here, withdrawing and cleaning a carburetor to his own exacting standards there. As enlisted men without any apparent jobs passed him, he shanghaied some into working shifts under his supervision. The more vehicles he knew were going to work coming off the boat, the more armor and firepower was gonna hit the beaches with them, and the more likely Ted Willis was going to survive the first few hours of the landing.

Purchasing Jury Rig because it was already next on my list, I think. Taking a few days to generally fix up and repair all the vehicles aboardship that he can find, especially the amphibious ones to be sure as much material gets ashore in the first place as possible.

21:46 Mukaikubo !wild d8+2 Repair
21:46 AchtungBot rolled a (1d8+2) with wild die for Mukaikubo and got ( 9 6 ) Results: 9

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Ronnie

It is just a touch frustrating to Ronnie to not have a clear picture of where the enemy is, aboard the giant ice floe they have made into a ship. And even though his instincts had proven right, he has no major theories or extreme expertise to help flush out the culprits. That will be for others to figure out, and he is sure that they will.

In the meantime, Ronnie prepares himself for what is to come. He makes sure to get a Colt from the armory - anything bigger would be absurd on a ship, and it would make sense for a soldier of his background and bearing to be uncomfortable without at least a sidearm handy, and therefore not be suspicious to be carrying a weapon aboard. And he waits, and stands guard as best he can over the academics in general and Hewitt in particular, as he said he would. A saboteur could have blown the whole ship to hell and back if they had wanted to by now - the fact they hadn't meant that they wanted something tangible, and there was no reason that tangible something shouldn't be the documents that they were collectively party to and for which the Brit was custodian.

Which, in turn, means for Ronnie: if I stick close to this guy, it's my best chance for getting to get the drop on our problem.

Using Advance to take Spirit to d8.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yulia

Her work for SMERSH has taught her to be stealthy - not in the way a spy might be, but in the way one might be when you just want to go about your work and not attract the attention of your bosses. She mostly settles down in the operations center to transcribe communiques, a familiar task for her. The Soviet settles into a small corner of the ship's narrow quarters, and builds a nest, doing what she's best at: engrossing study and copious throughput. If Yulia sleeps, crew would be hard pressed to spot it. She can be spotted on all shifts, huddled in a warm blanket in the corner, a requisitioned lamp shining bright at a metal desk space, pushing through her 'hobby' texts' on her left and the Jeremiah's business on the right, noshing on a sandwich much of the time.

Concerns over the saboteur still loom, but she's a fairly conspicuous person to have hanging around the engine room or speaking to the troops, so she's happy to let the others take a more direct act in that course. While she isn't actively investigating, that doesn't stop her from being tremendously nosy and following along any news or drama contained in the work she's translating. What? Like you wouldn't?

Yulia will be translating for this shift!
I spent a Benefit to reroll my bad first roll:
* AchtungBot rolled a (1d10) with wild die for ambivalent and got ( 15 1 ) Results: 15

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy is, if anything, good as his word. The first thing he does after the meeting is make his way down to the medical ward.

And talk.

For the next two days, Irakliy just talks. He cracks jokes, he tells tales. And he listens, most importantly. Jokes about military reliability. Tales of mechanical failures on the Eastern Front. And as he tells tales, he starts hearing them back. Winning the trust of the sailors, bringing them into his confidence... and getting them thinking about the circumstances surrounding the generator room disaster.

And besides, it helps the men relax. It gives them the impression that the upper brass actually gives a drat if you talk to them. Which, they DO, but a man in a foxhole or a hospital bed needs a reminder, sometimes.

[00:29] <Redeye> !wild d8
[00:29] * @AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) with wild die for Redeye and got ( 5 3 ) Results: 5

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Izoldah is worried about this. She was not around during the purges of the military, but tales did get around. And the commissars were a grim reminder. She very much understood how bad it could get if these accusations became common knowledge. She figures she might be good at listening in, but probably isn't that great in actually knowing what information to look for, or who to listen to. She'd inform Kuznetsov that if he had someone he was suspicious about, she'd be available to listen in to who he talked to, who he hang out with, what he was doing. It would be challenging, of course. But she did like a challenge.

Until then, she mostly worked in the radio room. The only skill she had that was of any use in this place. Well, she figured she could help. Turns out, she knew just enough about Russian equipment to make constant incorrect assumptions and generally make a nuisance of herself. So halfway the second day, the officer in charge politely, but firmly thanked her for her help but said they were pretty much okay.

Well, that wasn't the most auspicious start.

<Shoge> !wild d4
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for Shoge and got (4 19 2 ) Results: 2
I will also buy my spirit up to d8. More chance to make my spirit checks, more buffer for the Horror points, more Insanity points I can take before going bonkers. Gonna need it

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Jeremiah - Starboard Engine Room

Making his way back to the Starboard Engine Room, Sgt. Barton-Morewood finds some dozen crewmen working to clean up the remnants of the recent fire--an onerous task, to say the least. Wasting little time, the man begins a search of the equipment which failed during the catastrophe. First, Dicky revisits the electrical relay for the emergency fuel shut-off valve, where he is able to confirm that the wires had been originally installed--but purposefully pulled out. Afterward, upon checking the emergency water pump, the man discovers that the gasket had been replaced with a metal disk--preventing the water flow.

However, with further inspection, Dicky is led to the generators themselves--rolling up his sleeves and making his way into tighter confines. There, the man discovers that a fuel line appears to have been diverted manually in order to send diesel fuel into an unsealed combustion chamber--which would have caused a gradual spillover, and ultimately, a fire. Undoubtedly, among all other elements potentially caused by accident or incompetence or otherwise--Dicky is certain this could only have been intentional.

With no doubt in Sgt. Barton-Morewood's mind that circumstances were indeed driven by sabotage, the next question became: how to identify whomever may be a saboteur aboard Jeremiah, with evidence to prove it.

Initial shorter update just to roll forward with Dicky's investigation, I'll put out a broader update with the two days worth of shifts--and their results, forthcoming.

Dicky had success, and subsequently great success in his Repair tests for his investigation--and has concluded decisively that this was indeed sabotage.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

The pilot sits near the generators and ponders, his uniform is now in dire need of a change after the day's events. With his searching here done, the evidence speaks for itself. It's sabotage without any doubt in his mind. Regretfully none of his comrades have seen fit to join him, thus he has no one able to backup his claims. His word will simply have to do for now, but perhaps those fixing up the damage can be called on to back him up if his word is doubted.

The question now looms; although he has evidence of sabotage, how to find the saboteur? He's no detective by a long shot, but a reasonable plan still seems to be his first thought back with Commander Bell.

He stands then, moving to locate a pencil and notepad, and asks about the Engine Room as to where he can get a list of all crew on duty before and during the time of the explosion. Once this is done, he starts asking around the ship to see if anyone was mysteriously absent during their Engine Room shift and if anyone can account for their whereabouts.

Dicky will try to make a list of crew meant to be working around the time of the explosion to see if anyone was missing and can't be accounted for during that time.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Jeremiah - Starboard Engine Room

Checking around, Sgt. Barton-Morewood meets with one of the attending crew members, who provides for him a list of the Starboard Engine Room's duty roster--an account of more than a few names, as it seems. With the information provided, Dicky is able to glean who was on duty in the shift during the explosion as well as the shift beforehand. Forearmed, the man has the start of a trail--but in order to determine possible suspects, he'll first need to sort out those who are hospitalized and those who are uninjured--cross-referencing the roster in the process.

Raptor has made a wise start! That's the good news. The bad news is, Dicky will need to cross-reference the roster and follow up on each of the names on it, in order to verify that they were actually on duty during one of those shifts--and that at least one witness could verify their presence.

This is a lengthy enough process that it falls in line with the shift territory of the other members of the team assisting the Jeremiah--for which Dicky will want to make an Investigation test, as it's liable to take a full day or more. Nevertheless, you're off on a lead!

With Dicky now aligned with the shift montages, the next update will focus on the macro-picture.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

With the roster in hand, he is now able to start on his inquires. Although he does not look forward to how long it will take by himself. He gives some thought to asking the others for help but soon decides that whatever they are doing now is probably just as important as this investigation. There was no shortage of work to be done even before the explosion, after all.

Before he leaves the Engine Room, he makes a list of the gathered evidence of sabotage on a notepad, knowing he will need to refer to it later when he reports to Commander Bell. Along with this he also begins his inquires with any crewmen still present that were on duty around the time of the explosion, gathering their names and witnesses to their whereabouts. It's all very odd to him, but the pilot does it with his typical chipper smile and tries not to come across as accusational.

Once that part's done, he sets out to the infirmary and any other part of the vessel the crew might be.

<A_Velociraptor> !wild d4-2 (Investigation)
* AchtungBot rolled a (1d4-2) with wild die for A_Velociraptor and got ( 1 5 ) Results: 5
#Elementary, my dear Dicky.#

Dicky will also report to Commander Bell at the end of each day with an update.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Jeremiah - Readying en Route

Together in tandem, Grace and Yulia spend the better part of two days working with the communications efforts aboard the Jeremiah, joined in turn by Izoldah during their forays into radio operations. The crew members operating radio arrays, coordinating day to day operations efforts and facilitating the guidance of task management among the many men and women aboard the great berg-ship prove most amenable to the company of the trio--and Grace's charm and eloquence in particular swiftly secures her a great deal of favor among the assembly in kind.

A few of the crew members are somewhat uncertain of what to make of Yulia at first, but soon enough seem comfortable with her involvement--and from what the Evenk can glean, the assault force means to rendezvous with Soviet forces and other supporting fleets nearer to Antarctica proper in the days to come. In much the same fashion as Yulia brings her fluency to bear, Izoldah's endeavors to lend her radio skill--but unfamiliar with the equipment coupled with intermittent language barriers finds her politely dismissed from the communications team after a day.

Down among the infirmaries and dispensary, Victoire has her hands full; the Jeremiah boasts three small infirmaries in all, but she finds that the largest and best-stocked sits adjacent to the hangar below-decks. Later joined by Irakliy, he and Victoire finds themselves quickly making the acquaintance of a well-kept fellow--one Doctor Ranjit Bannerjee of the RMAC--who seems to recognize the woman by virtue of her placement. Candidly, Dr. Bannerjee shares with the pair that he had fought against unusual German forces in his native India and offers to share needed access to the dispensary for both they and their fellows, should the need arise.

With Ronnie and Harry serving as a security presence for the ongoing efforts of research and review of the Nazi occult materials, the pair find much of both days comparatively 'tame'--insomuch as no one seems to rise to the occasion to make an attempt on Bradley's life or the retrieval of the briefcase in his care. At night, however, Harry and Ronnie come to meet a fellow by the name of Ronald Ames--a seasoned marine, with a somewhat impassive, vaguely irritated demeanor who nevertheless proves to be quite the card player. Serving as the Master-at-Arms for the Jeremiah, the man is the chief petty officer charged with law enforcement aboard the berg-ship--which he relates has as of yet been minimally necessary.

In the meantime, Ted finds himself stocked with his sought supply in short order before he's able to get down to the business of the Jeremiah's hangars and vehicle bays. Over the span of two days, Ted becomes acquainted with the berg-ship's amphibious and armored vehicles including twenty-eight Allis-Chalmers M7 snow tractors, sixteen Bombardier Mark II "Penguins" (which, to Ted's satisfaction, appear fresh off the line) and thirty-two U.S.-made M29 "Weasels" among other craft.

Also present are a variety of peculiar craft, some of which are purportedly of Pyke's design--including a trio of experimental screw-propulsion snow vehicles. Sgt. Willis also spies seventeen T-15 light tanks being worked on for improved winterization. It would take more than a bit of work to ensure everything was prepared in tip-top performance for the assault to come, certainly--but Ted's talent proves immeasurably helpful to the teams in place as he familiarizes with the allotment on-board.

During the evening of the second day, more subtle damage occurs...

Jeremiah - Breakfast

On the third morning over breakfast, as Dicky and the rest of the team have opportunity to convene and share a meal, review of the duty rosters cross-referenced with extensive questioning and testimony with the aid of keen eyes and ears have found headway on the investigation: there is ultimately only one discrepancy with the Starboard Engine Room's duty records, a Midshipman Thomas Wilkins.

Wilkins was listed as being on duty on the day of the fire and had signed in on the duty roster--but none of the men on duty remembered him as having actually been there--and instead, recalled another man as saying he'd been assigned in Wilkins' place. From what was gathered, a brief description of Wilkins' stand-in had him as tall, with sandy-blonde hair and a slight moustache; green eyes, but otherwise, slightly 'forgettable'. Purportedly, the man had called himself "Ralph" and seemed to know what he was doing--and even worked along through the lunch break.

Over bacon, eggs, orange juice and other assorted offerings, the team is left to decide their approach thereafter.

Collectively, the team blew away efforts to assist in the readiness efforts aboard Jeremiah, helping to counteract the penalties being received from faulty, rushed launches and mysterious influences. Huzzah! As a result, after the initial two days of effort, the Readiness Level of the Jeremiah has shifted from In Very Bad Shape to Improving. Bravo!

Unattended, the Commanders made their Strategy meeting together at a d6-1 with wild die--resulting in a 0 and 13 result off the two dice. With a big breakthrough, they'll carry forward a handsome bonus to their next convening for strategy--and in the meantime, the Strategy Value has improved from Flawed to Weak. Progress!

Finally, and to some, most importantly, you have a fairly hard lead for the sabotage investigation; everyone has a chance to suss out what's up and may coordinate for how you approach this particular wrinkle. Assume you're al up to speed on the results of the investigation so far.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

The pilot sits at the table, shoveling eggs and bacon into his face. He's bleary eyed and clearly stayed up late last night. A notebook of crossed out names and notes sits beside his plate.

Only after finishing his plate does he speak and bring everyone up to speed. "This," he then holds up the notebook after he's caught them all up. "I checked each crewmen and made sure each had someone to vouch for them. Everyone. I questioned them all." He looks at them all in turn then, lowering his voice and making sure no one else is close enough to hear. One name on the list isn't crossed out. "And I found one. Midshipman Thomas Wilkins. He was signed on for duty on the day of the explosion but none of the crew saw him. Instead, someone took his place and worked even through his lunch break." He passes on the description of the man who took Wilkin's place. "Nothing really makes him stand out and the name has to be fake, but he must be our saboteur."

He downs some orange juice. "I need to find Wilkins to start with now, but I'll need some help from here on. Chances are things'll get dangerous now we're close and I'd rather have some backup."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 29, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bradley Hewitt
Bennies 2

Bradley sat the table drinking his tea, since he had finished his breakfast earlier.

"We should be careful about accusing anyone without strong evidence to back us up. This Midshipman fellow does seem suspicious, but the evidence provided is weak. We should bring him in to question him, see what he knows. Of course, since there's a chance he is guilty, we should avoid telling him that we are questioning him in regards to the engine problems. Instead I think we should arrange for him to go to the infirmary for a check up. When he shows up, we could then escort him to a private room to discuss the matter with him. Not only will that avoid letting him know we are onto him, but it will avoid letting any co-conspirators know about our investigations."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Victoire would gladly help the saboteur sink this ship if it meant she could get some real baguette for breakfast again. She sighs and drinks her black coffee.

"I can probably secure us a room in ze infirmary." She puts down her bowl and prods the bread with her finger. Oh but to feel the crunchy crust of baguette again. "But in truth I don't think monsieur Wilkins is ze person of interest here since he was ze one getting replaced. We need to find a way to 'ave overseers watch for any unplanned substitutions and signal zem to us. Zere is no way we can find anyone on such a big ship without a better description."

She dipped some buttered bread into her coffee and ate it. It just wasn't the same.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

She dabs the corners of her mouth with a napkin. "Mm… should I talk to Mr. Wilkins?" she joins the dialogue, pausing a moment and then posing an alternative, "Or I could snoop around his room. When he's kept busy, I mean."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Ronnie

Ronnie calmly noshes on bacon as he listens to the others, a thoughtful look on his face as they go over their findings. After a moment's reflection, Ronnie says, "That all assumes this Wilkins isn't suddenly missing. Best to see if he's signed in the last few days. The doctor idea's good otherwise, though. If Wilkins is in one piece, he probably knows something, if only maybe more details about whoever took his place."

He takes a long drink of juice - even being aboard a ship is way better chow than being in the field and surrounded, so S/Sgt. Thomas is more than apt to take advantage while he can. "One thing that could help," he notes. "When we haven't been doin' bodyguard duty, Harry and me-" he gestures across the table with his glass, "-have been playin' cards with the Master-at-Arms. Ronald Ames, Marine. Little bit like a porcupine, prickly kind of guy, but not bad when you get to know him. And losin' a few bucks to someone does tend to make them more favorable, which is good, because I ain't much of a card player."

"Anyhow, point is, keeping the peace aboard ship's his job, so maybe we have one of you all stop in and play the next game, kinda gently see if he's heard anything - though he has said he hasn't had to do much peacekeeping at all. Or just bring him in the loop on the whole thing, if we think we should." He offers a thin smile. "Otherwise, just put me where you need me to be for when we find that bastard who tried to blow up the ship."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 29, 2016

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yulia

She is mostly satisfied with her toasted bread - the butter is a nicety and the cheese is a luxury. Yulia reaches across the table and tugs Dicky's notebook away without much thought, flipping over his documentation, quickly trying to digest what's before her. Returning it, she nods approvingly, grinning wide, "Like Arthur Conan Doyle."

"For my part," she wipes her fingers clean, then neatly wraps another two pieces of toast in a napkin, "I have discovered that the British are smitten with their own clever code phrases, and have failed to consider that their witticiss and idioms don't translate to the tongues of their mainland colleagues." She rolls her eyes. "If you have but any excuse to get me out of the communications center, I will be all for it."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

The pilot grins at Yulia with a sly wink. "Think I missed my calling, eh? Maybe I'll join up with the boys in blue when this thing all ends one day."

He mulls over Grace's idea before shaking his head slightly. "Hmm. I think if anyone sees you poking around in his room it'll cause incredible suspicion and trouble we don't need. Also, I doubt it's necessary. I don't think Wilkins did it either, but I think he might know our mystery man or at least give us a better description of him. Who this man is and how he took Wilkins' place are the questions I need to ask him."

He shrugs at Ronnie. "Couldn't hurt, I suppose. Let's see what Wilkins gives us first."

To Bradley, he nods as he drinks the rest of his juice. It's a pretty solid plan. "I like it, Bradley. Good thinking, chap." He turns to Victoire. "Think you might get us that room then? Maybe even bring Wilkins up yourself, seeing as he's more likely to believe you about a medical checkup than any of us. We can be there waiting for when he comes in."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

He nods as Ronnie voices his suspicions. Once again they're on the same page. Must be something to being front line men. "Bet you a fiver Wilkins is MIA. Maybe thrown off the boat, maybe his body'll be found in the wreckage. This 'Ralph' bloke is the one you probably really want, an' good luck findin' him on a ship this size. May want to ask around, go through Wilkins' things, see if there's anything there. You'd think a missing man'dve been reported by now though." He tucks in to his third helping of reconstituted eggs. Man's got to keep his strength up, yeah? "You want me to glower over yer shoulder I'm yer man. You want me to find this Wilkins chap, I can do that too. Other than card sharkin' feelin' about as useful as tits on a boar on this iceberg."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

It turns out that boats aren't that bad, when they're so large you can't feel the waves move them no matter how rough the South Atlantic gets. As a result, Irakliy is busily destroying a fine English breakfast. The smile on his face from the food belies his attitude, however, and after swallowing he waves his fork at Dicky. "Glad you are having success." He shakes his head. "I do not know if they do not trust me still or just simply do not know anything, but I am getting nowhere with survivors in infirmary. Friendly enough, but unhelpful. We have at least met good doctor, the, uhh..." He looks over at Victoire, and proceeds to rather mangle Bannerjee's name, before shaking his head. "That is not right. A good doctor."

He takes another massive bite of his beans, before looking up. "If we can bring in 'Ralph' then I can help you with questioning. Otherwise, I believe I would be better suited elsewhere." He grins. "I would love to get look at those cannon they are mounting up top."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

"I can try to get a room, of course. The infirmary is pretty cramped at ze moment but I'll see what I can do. Before I do 'owever we should make sure zis Wilkins is still around and not, 'ow to say, MIA as Harry puts it." She finishes her bowl of coffee. "And yeah while he is in ze infirmary maybe Grace can 'ave a look at his room, couldn't hurt."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

"I'd just need to have a good excuse handy, sir. We won't get another chance like this if he's working with our mystery man," she responds to Dicky with her arms crossed. The young woman suddenly smiles and titters before she jokes, "You could always let them arrest me if I get caught!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bradley Hewitt
Bennies 2

"Wilkins might be missing. That is a good point. I would think someone would notice his absence, but this is a large ship. If someone made sure his duties were fulfilled, then they could hide his disappearance. At least for a short period of time. If he is still around, then we need to talk to him. I think we need to bring Ronald Ames into our confidence. Sooner or later, he will have to know what about this issue." He looks over at Grace.

"He might make it easier for you to go through Wilkins belongings. There might be something there. I think we also need to find this Ralph person. I agree he is probably our prime suspect right now. The question is how would we find him."