Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

pokeyman posted:

For real. Didn't some goon suggest passing a hat around and getting bumdi a lil present from this thread? Did that ever happen? Would be super cool if there's some nonweird way to say thanks.

Perhaps we should all change our avatars to this picture:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
MJ status: still the best

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
The Main Match was really dull...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just finished the Main Match of Garnet Thief and gently caress everyone on Junseok's team for betraying him forever. Jungmoon is a loving thick hedge pig, Yeonsung is a dope who things he's the man all of a sudden, Kyunghoon is a top lad to be fair and massive respect for him obviously.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Every memory I have of Junseok in this game is of him wearing a giant fur coat smoking a cigar and saying "yiz can all go get hosed anyway yiz cunts"

I also like his attitude of "ah sure look you have to have a couple of Death Matches along the way if you want to win".

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

EmmyOk posted:

Every memory I have of Junseok in this game is of him wearing a giant fur coat smoking a cigar and saying "yiz can all go get hosed anyway yiz cunts"

I also like his attitude of "ah sure look you have to have a couple of Death Matches along the way if you want to win".

*s2 sangmin stares innocently back*

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Just watched the episode and MJ being boss is the only correct thing and I predict Nopdong victories forever. I also think Oliver doomed himself with that I'm top 10 speech he gave in Sanggyuk's room. Dude just chill out and maybe show your not afraid of chickens and do pullups or whatever, don't try to politic with the new team.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That was such a great episode. Between that challenge and the one from the preview, this concept is really starting to grow on me. The physical side of this week's challenge was a joke, but it was really geniusy and next week's looks like they finally found a good balance.

And, as always, MJ! :allears:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Society Game is a much worse show than The Genius, but is enjoyable enough. MJ is my muse, I'd love to look like her. Workout more, rrgh!

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
If MJ gets eliminated, it will be the second most disappointing winner/loser result of this year.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Macho must be the nicest guy in the world to hang out with, because he's worse than useless and they've passed up like 3 opportunities to dump him now.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Chainsawdomy posted:

Macho must be the nicest guy in the world to hang out with, because he's worse than useless and they've passed up like 3 opportunities to dump him now.

Yeah, dropping him on the other team right before a challenge would have been the perfect way to get rid of him.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Azathoth256 posted:

Yeah, dropping him on the other team right before a challenge would have been the perfect way to get rid of him.

it's sounding like he makes for a good wormtongue though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watching the Main Match of episode seven now and I really like Junseok and Jungmoon's plan to use binary to signal cards, really good stuff. I kind of hope they win because I am a bit bored of the four strongest people openly running things though Jinho seems to be going a bit independent which is nice. Pls show me the legend of Open/Pass one more time

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Society Game might not be Genius level good, but it's been fun for me after watching this video because I'm 80% sure now the producers read the same book that's being sourced here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

I might just be getting hung up on the "key" metaphor being used for both, but the mentality seems very similar. From that I'd say Sangguk's days are numbered. I love how much of a wise and benevolent leader he thinks himself to be, but he isn't really giving his keys much reason to keep supporting him. If Seolwha wants the job it's pretty much hers.

Meanwhile count me in on Team MJ, long may she reign.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This thread is making a false equivalency between Genius and Society Game. Society Game isn't going to be "as good" as The Genius if you're looking for The Genius in it. Genius was more focused and incredibly innovative, but Society Game is taking certain ideas from Genius and innovating in its own way. As I said, however problematic the beginning was, it's really getting its legs here, I think. It almost seems like production is learning on the fly, which is incredible considering that they have challenges and an elimination literally every day.

Keep your eyes out for a dexterity aspect to a challenge that isn't a loving ring toss.

Edit: the last challenge was going to come down to both dexterity and strength if Nopgong hadn't smoked the intellectual challenge.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 19, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MJ is so drat boss.

To the others: "I went with the majority vote"
To the camera: "Yeah, I didn't do that"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have returned, dear thread, after a year's absence.

Are we posting about Society Game now? And is it good?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, we're posting about Society Game now. It's pretty good. Nobody seems to prefer it over Genius, but that's to be expected. It's more Korean Survivor.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Society Game is ok, but more importantly MJ is the best.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Why the heck was the Second Expedite Rule not in place from the start? They ran Hap/Gyul, they ought to know how to do this by now.

I honestly feel like MJ is getting too much of a hero edit for there not to be an inevitable betrayal/downfall. (Doesn't make her not the best, though.)

e: I loved this moment, though.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 21, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Episode 5 is up :woop:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That was everything we've ever wanted, but never deserved.

Holy loving poo poo Madong is silly beyond belief. Every bit of social maneuvering in there was just...

I'm glad Seolhwa got a good, strong edit for her time in the show. That was absurd.

I do wonder how genuine Sangguk was with his request. Maybe we'll see, maybe not. Maybe I'll ask the oppa at work, because he seems charmed at my slapdash Korean. But those looked like genuine tears. I wish this show had secret scenes at this point, because that rebellion was really difficult to parse.

I'm sticking to my guns. This is a good show. It's not The Genius, and it's not Survivor, but it is cool and good and I really enjoy watching it.

MJ continues to own bones.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm sticking to my guns. This is a good show. It's not The Genius, and it's not Survivor, but it is cool and good and I really enjoy watching it.

MJ continues to own bones.

I think you're right to do so. I get why some people wouldn't like it, a lot of people were wary of the cutthroat social stuff during Genius S2 and Society Game is built on that as a concept, but this last episode was crazy as hell and I can't wait to see the fallout.

I don't think Sangguk would have put himself out there that hard if he didn't believe everything he was saying. However, If he wanted to make Madong stronger he's the last person who needs to go. He's the only one looking for Madong to be strong as a unit instead of as individuals. From the second the gong rung everyone made the decisions that seemed right from their own positions, but were insane from anyone elses.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So then what do you make of the elimination?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'm loving this as well. Yes, I'd have preferred season 5 of the Genius, but I still look forward to this each week, and that episode was very good.

Sangguk took his inability to go up that rope ridiculously hard. I think I would have done the same as Haesung in not eliminating him; I'd like to see how he does as a player focused on team cohesion without the pressure of leadership. I'm not sure about the decision to make Injik and Byungkwan the keyholders. They seem like 'safe' choices now, but I feel like it wouldn't take too much to convince one of them to rebel a little down the road.

I'm now rooting for Hanbyul in addition to MJ. Third person for Nopdong finals should be someone other than Heejung, Macho, or Insun.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Propaganda Machine posted:

So then what do you make of the elimination?

In a vacuum, Seolwha was the most dangerous person in the other alliance, and therefore the right choice. She had Hael's ear and even without a key Haesung needs to be able to trust her. If Seolwha had rung the gong and not Asol, I think she would have gone forward with the revolt. She also hasn't been very useful in challenges, unlike Asol and Kyungryul.

When you take into account Sangguk's deal though... Eliminating Sangguk would have at least kept the peace because they all knew it was Sangguk's idea. Peace looks unlikely right now.

I think I got everyone's names right but there are still so many people I had to try and double check.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not finished the episode yet but this montage of MJ running the show is so drat boss

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Rarity posted:

Not finished the episode yet but this montage of MJ running the show is so drat boss

Ratatat!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I was legit happy for Macho this episode. :unsmith:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
And we didn't even get to the blacklist! I don't know what MJ's going to do but I'm sure it will turn out to be the right call.

Anyone have any theories on Nopdong's secret messages? Madong's make kind of sense as explained in the episode, but I don't know what's going on in Nopdong's.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Madong is in really deep trouble, even though the games get easier to complete with less people in theory they waste so much of their free time and energy on infighting it actually will only get harder to eke out a win. In the meantime Nopdong is having a great time making extra money and practicing the next game under the ruthless but benign rule of Eternal President MJ Kim.

It was kind of sad to see Sangguk and his farming muscles fail so hard and have him fall just as MJ got to the stage to do her climb. The difference in how things are going for the two societies could not have been more clear. I was expecting Sangguk would remain leader and send himself out.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This episode elevated the show from "This is fun I guess" to "This is great!" for me. MJ fighting!!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Echoing all the love for this episode and for Hwaiting Goddess MJ.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I love this episode

but this "red button extra" or whatever it was, just made me miss Leonard Cohen even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79fOWuRafw

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I love how specific she is when her threat, there.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Really fun to see MJ playing every single one of her teammates expertly. It's brilliant. I was afraid last episode that she was basically just a figurehead for Heejun, but nope, she's just letting him believe that while turning all his strongest allies into her own. Macho really bugs me, but he definitely is an entertaining character in all this.

Sangguk's martyr complex was ridiculous. He was far from the weak link, and his flailing about trying to get himself eliminated instead just hurt his actual allies. Seolhwa is rightly pissed at her elimination. Now Haesung's back in charge, which is interesting. And the keys go to The Two Guys Who Don't Do Anything. (Seriously, I've been keeping notes as I watch to keep track of who is who, and haven't yet found a reason to split the "Injik and Byungkwan" line.)

Based on the timing of the episode-end cut, I'm betting MJ did eliminate someone. I'd go for Donghwan over Sahyuk. Sahyuk is good for challenges, and his presence kinda helps her play Heejun and Pharoh off each other (maybe that's an unhelpful element of chaos though?). Donghwan is the guy who keeps making vague statements about wanting to make a move but never committing himself to any 'side'. Seems dangerous to keep around.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Daeno posted:

As an avid fan of Genius, just watched the first 3 episodes and...

Society Game kinda blows...
Yeah I kinda stalled out after 3. Just caught up and now there's more intrigue but it's still a pretty slow burn. It feels quality-wise to me like Crime Scene but Crime Scene back when they were still doing two episode long cases.

Stupid dickhead move by Haesung to not vote out Sangguk btw. Like was it really so urgent to take out Seolhwa on this day instead of the next time they lose that it's worth it to piss people off like that?

Sangguk is an interesting dude, like he genuinely wanted to give everyone something to play for but also figured out that nobody gets anything unless your remaining people win the final challenge at the end. After tiring out on the rope, he decided he wasn't a player that could win at the end for the team and wanted to step out. I hate seeing people quit and also think he's in the upper half of skill of the players still out there, but this isn't like Survivor where you individually get more winnings the further you get. Nobody on your side gets anything unless they make it to the end and win. It was too early for him to throw in the towel but the theory makes sense and Haesung should have stuck to the deal he made.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 24, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Stupid dickhead move by Haesung to not vote out Sangguk btw. Like was it really so urgent to take out Seolhwa on this day instead of the next time they lose that it's worth it to piss people off like that?

Haesung's group and Asol + Seolhwa's group were going to be at war no matter who replaced Sangguk and no matter who was eliminated. Sangguk wanted the politics to just go away for a moment so he could Nobly Sacrifice Himself For The Greater Good Of The Team, but that just wasn't going to happen. As soon as Haesung had the leadership, he had to make whatever move minimized the chances of Asol's group stealing back control. And I guess he figured that meant getting rid of the cross-group friendship between Hael and Seolhwa.

The whole There Can Only Be Three situation is really weird. For instance, if Nopdong keeps winning everything and reaches the endgame with eight or nine players, that'll be a weird as hell election -- they'll have to vote for a leader who will then simultaneously eliminate everyone but three players. Sucky end to all that success. And in Madong, I'm hoping we really do see a strike situation soon, because I'm curious how that can possibly be resolved. The leader has nothing to offer the citizens other than false (in all but two cases) promises of going to the finals. (Even if you spread the reward money evenly, it's meaningless because most people don't get to keep any of that money.) But even any rebellion requires more than three, so requires those same blatantly-unfulfillable promises.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I guess it'll be that Sangmin "What's good for the broadcast?" mentality! Or, since the producers themselves brought up the "strike" situation, they have a plan to deal with it.