Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Lovely interview she did and talks about it.

http://www.belizemagazine.com/edition04/english/e04_05questions.htm

quote:

BELIZEmagazine.com: What was your first commercially produced hot sauce?

Marie Sharp: Melinda, because this property here is Melinda estate and this is where I was growing the peppers, so I though that the most suited name would have been the name of the farm, so I gave it the name Melinda. I changed the name in 1991, when my first distributor in the United States trademarked the name, and I lost the name to them. We were working with them and at that time I was not prepared for what I was doing at all. I though everybody was honest. We were working on that kind of relationship and the next thing I knew they had trademarked the name for themselves, and when I started questioning, because they were making all these products with the name Melinda, I said "What's going on here?", they said, well the name is ours! I said, "How come?". They answered, "Because we trademarked it". I said, "But it is not yours where did you get it from, the name is mine, it's my farm, it's my product". At that point I think they realized that they had done wrong and that they had made a fool of themselves. But they are still in business, because at that time, when we hit the American market, we were the only habanero producers in the world. We could have had that captured market we could have been pretty well to be, both of us working together.But I think he got to greedy, and he messed up, because he killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. He thought he had my formula, so by having my formula, he found the cheapest source of mash in Costa Rica, but the Costa Rican mash is not as good as our mash, they make a fermented mash, I don't make a fermented mash. And this is where he made his mistake, because he found out now that he is still nowhere.

I came back to the market with a new name, set back about five years in my marketing plan, because naturally I am coming back with a new name, I am starting over from scratch. So it took me about five years to really come back on the market. By the time I came back there were hundreds of other people out there with habanero sauces. Not the same as mine, but it is still habanero and it is still a sauce. That first time when we came out, we had very little competition, only the people in Louisiana, the Tabasco and the other Louisiana sauces that were out there. Now there were hundreds of people making sauces, so it was that much more difficult for me.

BELIZEmagazine.com: Did you consider taking legal steps against them?

To take the legal litigation route, fighting for my name Melinda, would have been long, costly, and require trips back and forth which I could not afford, so I just gave up. I did have a lawyer in the States and he eventually said, "Marie, the best thing to do is throw in the towel. Give them the name, in exchange for braking a contract with them". They were my sole distributors, so while we were fighting, I could not sell to anybody. So I had to give them the name, to break the contract so I could start all over again.

BELIZEmagazine.com: Have you signed an exclusivity ever since?

No. Never.

BELIZEmagazine.com: What was the biggest challenge you had to face to achieve today's success?

Marie Sharp: My biggest challenge was really when I had to come back with the 'Marie Sharp' and recreate a market for that product all over again. I also lost quite a bit of money over the whole thing. A considerable amount of money I lost, and at that time I thought about just giving up.

BELIZEmagazine.com: Where are the ingredients for your product grown - the peppers, vegetables and fruits?

Marie Sharp: They are all locally grown. Certain times of the year the Belizean farmers cannot produce onions and carrots because of the heat. During the very hot season we cannot produce carrots. As long as there are local onions and carrots, everything comes from the local producers here, nation wide. Certain time of the year I have to import onions and carrots from Mexico. The peppers I had to import from Mexico maybe about once or twice.
Naturally everything would be cheaper to produce in Mexico. We do have a joint venture over there and we do produce the sauce over there where it is still under the name Melinda. I had trademarked the name in Mexico.

unknown fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

unknown posted:

If you like Melinda's, then try for some of the Marie Sharp's (aka original Melinda before the Figueroa Brothers screwed her and stole the name and recipes).

Marie sharps is really good. My mom did some work in Belize and brought back a large sampler pack of marie sharps marinades and hot sauces that didn't last very long. If I remember correctly that habenero sauce's main ingredient is carrot juice which imo is one of the best bases for hotsauce.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Best base for fruity peppers like Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets, anyway.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I feel like I'm missing out in the hot sauce world and want to try something different than Franks and Tabasco stuff.

I wasted like $20bux on bad/average hot sauce. Is CaJohns lovely or did I make some bad choices? I got a chipotle sauce that had good heat but it was way too sweet, brown sugar was the 2nd ingredient, I guess maybe that's my fault for not checking. I got a serrano pepper sauce that I had to use 1/4th of the bottle just to taste it in a normal bowl of soup. Lastly I got one of their red hot sauces that was just not as good as franks hot sauce.

Anyways, anyone got any suggestions? Preferably not alternatives to Franks like Cholula. I don't like sweet stuff at all. I do enjoy vinegar heavy sauces. Used mostly for soups, chili and everything that hot sauce is good on. I don't know how to describe my preference for heat, Franks/Tabasco stuff doesn't even register as hot to my tastebuds but I still enjoy it. If I order wings from BW3, hot bbq is as high as I would go for heat level.

I'm in the midwest and the store I shop at literally has thousands of different sauces, I should takes some pictures because it's pretty impressive and also intimidating for someone who hasn't strayed too far from tried and true Franks.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Staple hot sauces you didn't mention from the grocery store:

Crystal blue top (mostly flavor, not much heat), or red top (decent heat level)
Valentina orange label (mostly flavor, basically no heat), Valentina black label (decent heat level)
Yucateca, all varieties are pretty good, with a simple heat scale on label

Others:
Schlotzky's - Go to a Schlotzky's and buy a bottle of sauce. It's like $2, and has amazing flavor, very vinegar and pepper forward, virtually no heat though.
Go to an Asian market and look for Ning Chi Super Hot Premium Fresh Chili oil. Very hot, with amazing flavor that actually goes with pretty much anything.

Edit: I am NOT a crazy macho death sauce guy, but I find a lot of sauces that have great flavor, but not enough heat. I bought a bottle of flavorless capcaicin extract a few years back, and I'll put a few drops into a bottle of sauce that I want to heat up, and I get the best of both worlds.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tropical, melindas and Dave's are solid companies, cajhons was better back in the day. I'm assuming you're near jungle jims, they may let you tooth pick sample.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Why would you call Cholua an "alternative to Frank's"? They're nothing at all alike (to me anyway)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Really, most supermarkets in the US now have a decent selection of hot sauces, including Walmart.

What you need to do now is start learning what the different peppers taste like, and which ones you like. Personally, I like the fruity peppers, like Habeneros and Scotch Bonnets.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Doom Rooster posted:

Crystal blue top (mostly flavor, not much heat), or red top (decent heat level)

Please tell me if you can find this and, if so, where. All the Xtra Hot bottles have dried up for the last couple years from all the usual places. The only way I can buy it without paying a ridiculous markup is the buy the gallon size and refill.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm in Austin, and the last one I got was from HEB about 6 months ago. Will have a look specifically the next time I go to the store to see if they've still got it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Tropical, melindas and Dave's are solid companies, cajhons was better back in the day. I'm assuming you're near jungle jims, they may let you tooth pick sample.

Yea Jungle Jims is exactly where I'm talking about. Their selection is :stare:. The one new sauce I did try that I liked was Tabasco Reserve, way more vinegar forward and a lot more heat than the rest of their stuff, but it's $10-12 a bottle and probably not something I'm going to buy again.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xergm posted:

Please tell me if you can find this and, if so, where. All the Xtra Hot bottles have dried up for the last couple years from all the usual places. The only way I can buy it without paying a ridiculous markup is the buy the gallon size and refill.

I buy it at winco

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dave's Insanity sauce lives up to the name. I couldn't hear for 10 min after dabbing it on a rib.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

straight up brolic posted:

Dave's Insanity sauce lives up to the name. I couldn't hear for 10 min after dabbing it on a rib.

Yeah I'm not a fan of extract sauces like that, just feels like you have bad sunburn in your mouth. I do like the little blurb on the bottle about using it to strip grease off the driveway lol.

There are a bunch of hot chicken places in Nashville that are absolutely delicious but most of them if you ask for the hottest heat level will just put a few drops of capsaicin extract in the sauce. As someone who has a freezer full of habeneros and loves heat, those sauces are just novelties and end up being super painful in your gut in the middle of the night at like 2am.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I'm liking that a lot have places have wised up to that and are just putting deveined and thinly sliced habanero as a garnish now. It's so drat flavorful and really ups the heat level in a pleasant way on burgers etc...

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

straight up brolic posted:

I thought I was the only one who gets weird ear feelings. It's like my inner ear is sweating and feeling tickly when I eat something sufficiently hot.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xergm posted:

I thought I was the only one who gets weird ear feelings. It's like my inner ear is sweating and feeling tickly when I eat something sufficiently hot.

You're not alone. Any part of the ear/nose/throat/eyes situation can go weird.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

One of my local BBQ joints, Ricewood (which tragically just closed for the season, no good BBQ bowls for me until March or April :( http://www.ricewoodbbq.com/), made a sort of sauce they would toss with rice and whatever meat you happened to feel like. It was something like 1 part white vinegar, one part soy sauce, a lot of green onion, a bit of garlic, and a lot of sliced habanero.

I asked for it extra spicy once, and they tossed some sliced moruga scorpion in with the habanero, and the result was pretty much not recreational. poo poo hurt super bad.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Jmcrofts posted:

Any of you guys had this stuff?

Ordered a couple bottles, will post trip report when they get in.

The people that make this have a YouTube series that is really good.

https://youtu.be/3_9v-7rtVDk

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Any of you guys had this stuff?

Ordered a couple bottles, will post trip report when they get in.

Looking forward to the trip report. I've been thinking about picking up a bottle or two of this.

http://www.blazegourmet.com/collections/hot-sauces

This is a local hot sauce maker of mine. I really like their mild thing and his taco sauce. His salsa is good too.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Looking forward to the trip report. I've been thinking about picking up a bottle or two of this.

http://www.blazegourmet.com/collections/hot-sauces

This is a local hot sauce maker of mine. I really like their mild thing and his taco sauce. His salsa is good too.

The Hot Ones sauce is excellent. It's not super hot but it tastes delicious.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hot Ones is my favorite YouTube show (along with Moltissimo) the one with Jay Pharaoh is incredible

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've only seen a few episodes, but I have enjoyed that series.

I'm on vacation in St. Thomas, here is some hot sauce I bought at the supermarket. VERY tasty, but disappointing in the heat levels, particularly the Habanero. It's yummy, but not hot enough for a sauce with habs as it's number one ingredient.

The mango one tastes a bit like Mango Pickapeppa sauce, and the Papaya Curry is reminiscent of Indian lime pickle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Their ghost pepper sauce I use like franks, it's drat good, a bottle or two a week. I agree that their heat is not as high as other brands, but they're consistent and well priced.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I know it isn't hot sauce, but anyone have recommendations for hot mustard?

I'd like to find some good Asian style as well as a more German(?) style. I guess that's the way to describe it. I like Chinese hot mustard and the sort of spicy brown mustard you would put on a hot dog or bratwurst. I don't think those are the same thing though; maybe they are.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I'd like to find some good Asian style as well as a more German(?) style. I guess that's the way to describe it. I like Chinese hot mustard and the sort of spicy brown mustard you would put on a hot dog or bratwurst. I don't think those are the same thing though; maybe they are.

Webers is my favorite brown mustard, very spice heavy and delicious. They also have a sweet and spicy that is delicious on a brat.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just put some horseradish, cracked pepper and worshestire sauce in some yellow mustard. Presto spicy mustard!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

QuarkMartial posted:

Löwensenf Extra. The stuff with all German writing on the label is hotter, but even the English-text version you can find at Cost Plus World Market and other stores is very good. Delicious on a bratwurst, or you can smear it on a roast.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Löwensenf Extra. The stuff with all German writing on the label is hotter, but even the English-text version you can find at Cost Plus World Market and other stores is very good. Delicious on a bratwurst, or you can smear it on a roast.

No joke. This is my current favorite. Small jars though.

King Kool
Mar 28, 2011
My brother got some hot sauces from a coworker that he said he'd never used or opened. They expired in 2012.

One of them is Dave's Insanity. I know what that's supposed to taste like, so that'd be a good metric to determine if the others were still good. But before I go nuts, I thought I should ask the thread: do unopened hot sauces go bad?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'd say that they probably won't harm you. The flavor will have changed over time, so a 2010 vintage will not taste the same as a fresh version of the same sauce.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

I'd say that they probably won't harm you. The flavor will have changed over time, so a 2010 vintage will not taste the same as a fresh version of the same sauce.

Agree with this. It's like beer, it loses its subtlety and flavor with time but it never becomes harmful.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you're worried about bacteria or something you can buy some cheap pH test strips online and check with those, microbial growth can't occur below a certain pH value (4-ish, might want to confirm beforehand)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jmcrofts posted:

Agree with this. It's like beer, it loses its subtlety and flavor with time but it never becomes harmful.

beer definitely goes off and tastes awful. lager does anyway

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If a major ingredient is vinegar, you're fine.
Beers / wines can go bad but not unsafe, a certain percentage of the alcohol becomes vinegar by bacterial respiration and then tills the bacteria, making it taste yucky but sterile.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Khablam posted:

If a major ingredient is vinegar, you're fine.
Beers / wines can go bad but not unsafe, a certain percentage of the alcohol becomes vinegar by bacterial respiration and then tills the bacteria, making it taste yucky but sterile.

I thought they could only go bad if they were opened. I have brewed beer in the past and left a 6 pack for over a year and it was like 50x better than the others I drank.

I wouldn't worry about the hot sauces if they were mainly vinegar and had never been exposed to open air. I have had some pickapeppa sauce go bad before because it's mainly sugar and started growing mold months after being opened.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I thought they could only go bad if they were opened. I have brewed beer in the past and left a 6 pack for over a year and it was like 50x better than the others I drank.

I wouldn't worry about the hot sauces if they were mainly vinegar and had never been exposed to open air. I have had some pickapeppa sauce go bad before because it's mainly sugar and started growing mold months after being opened.

Yeah they need oxygen, so properly sealed they're fine. I meant potentially.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got these packets of hot sauce from Halal Guys and gently caress it's so good.

Anybody know a brand that's somewhat similar in flavor and heat?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Took some of the suggestions and bought like 6 bottles of hot sauce, the one that really stands out is this:

It's smokey, vinegary and the perfect amount of heat... easily my new favorite hot sauce. Is there anything similar/better or should I just continue buying this stuff for the rest of my life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

Took some of the suggestions and bought like 6 bottles of hot sauce, the one that really stands out is this:

It's smokey, vinegary and the perfect amount of heat... easily my new favorite hot sauce. Is there anything similar/better or should I just continue buying this stuff for the rest of my life?

Try Chipotle Tabasco. Even if you hate regular Tabasco (like I do) the Chipotle version has great smoke flavor and just the right amount of heat.