Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

Re: compressors

Is there a definitive guide to the right way to design and set up shop air lines? I have a really nice brand new snap on air compressor (bought at a deal off craigslist) sitting in the corner of my shop.

Eventually I will run it, it might be in 20 years after I retire, but one day.

3/4" copper or steel for the lines. That flows enough that it won't hurt the performance. Come off the top of the main loop with a T for each drop, and put a cleanout on the bottom of each drop.
http://cached.tptools.com/Images/airline-piping-diagram.pdf
http://www.tptools.com/tech-metal-piping.dlp
Ignore what they say about copper, that's BS.

GarageJournal has a ton of threads about this topic. I ran 3/4" copper, with 1/2" copper drops. I've never had any moisture issues, aside from what collects in the tank and the first drop before my main filter and regulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Any recommendations for an OBD scan tool to clear CEL/read codes?

Needs to be non-smartphone for a relative.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Re...79842420&sr=1-1
The best seller on amazon

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

spog posted:

I got this thing, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and so far, I love it

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Way to read dude. He said non smart phone.

Viggen has some for sale for a better price then that and is the same if not slightly better then that. He's got a thread in SAmart. But the one you linked is durable and useful.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spog posted:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

clam ache posted:

Viggen has some for sale for a better price then that and is the same if not slightly better then that. He's got a thread in SAmart. But the one you linked is durable and useful.

ah, we all have brainfarts.

Ta for the recommendation.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

clam ache posted:

I got 2/3 sentences, it's a passing grade :colbert:

But in all seriousness, it also connects to laptops and that's what I was suggesting it for. Although, I probably should have assumed non-smartphone=standalone unit

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Door Frame posted:

I got 2/3 sentences, it's a passing grade :colbert:

But in all seriousness, it also connects to laptops and that's what I was suggesting it for. Although, I probably should have assumed non-smartphone=standalone unit

I thought that, too (the laptop thing) but then I figured that a person who didn't want a smartphone appliance probably really would not want to to fiddle with a laptop, software, and a bluetooth connection.

Also in my very limited experience, PC software is usually neglected on those kind of things and consequently awful. Most of the development goes toward a mobile app.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

I thought that, too (the laptop thing) but then I figured that a person who didn't want a smartphone appliance probably really would not want to to fiddle with a laptop, software, and a bluetooth connection.

Also in my very limited experience, PC software is usually neglected on those kind of things and consequently awful. Most of the development goes toward a mobile app.

Yup, that is pretty much it.

You could spend longer trying to get Bluetooth working consistently than you could spend solving the problem.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

Whoah, UK really is a big brother police state... Amazon by default searches by your car registration, instead of generic make and model.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Heads up weird power tool lovers. Hitachi Koki is leaving the power tool market in the USA next year. They will still be importing decent cheap air tools.

Perfect time to get a C8FSE ya'll.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What, only vibrators massage wands are actually making money?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Whoah, UK really is a big brother police state... Amazon by default searches by your car registration, instead of generic make and model.

I'm pretty sure the VIN contains all that information by default?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Registration is permanently tied to the car, not the owner there, right? It's probably easier than asking for Year/make/model/trim.

I see a lot of UK members in British car forums looking for their sentimental vehicles based on plate number, which is such a foreign concept as an American.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I remember Revelations and I explaining that CT plates stay with the registered owner, not the car...to a Utah state policeman at 3am after 1100 miles of straight driving that day. I'm also pretty sure we were going around 100 at the time.

He gave up on us and left. It was 94 miles to the Nevada border.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

eddiewalker posted:

Registration is permanently tied to the car, not the owner there, right? It's probably easier than asking for Year/make/model/trim.

I see a lot of UK members in British car forums looking for their sentimental vehicles based on plate number, which is such a foreign concept as an American.

In the states it depends entirely on what state you're from. CA and WA the plate stays with the car I believe, MA and CT and a bunch of others they stay with the registrant.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

kastein posted:

In the states it depends entirely on what state you're from. CA and WA the plate stays with the car I believe, MA and CT and a bunch of others they stay with the registrant.

Edit: Disregard previous drivel.

Looks like WA requires new plates when the vehicle changes ownership (with some exceptions).

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 23, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

eddiewalker posted:

Almost permanently, you can change them but otherwise they stay together until the car is scrapped or written off somehow. Having the original registration with a classic car is considered worth something and it's almost impossible to get the original registration back if it was previously transferred away.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Almost permanently, you can change them but otherwise they stay together until the car is scrapped or written off somehow. Having the original registration with a classic car is considered worth something and it's almost impossible to get the original registration back if it was previously transferred away.
More simply, the reg on your car ties it to the VIN etc on an easily-queried database. They can't tell who you are or where you live, but the year/make/model/engine info is dead easy.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

kastein posted:

WA just switched so the plates are permanent to the title, used to get new plates every 7 years. Either way new plates any time the car changes hands unless you personalize it to the old number. You can use old plates, too, has to be from the year of the car and registered as a collector's vehicle (no commuting, 30yo).

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I need a set of carbide burrs. Planing on doing a port and polish on my subaru and gridning out a broken off easy out on my bmw. Any recommendations? I have a 1/4" 20k RPM grinder.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I should have gotten the analog version of my soldering station. The digital one I have doesn't go nearly this high.

:stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Soldering iron/stick welder.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the horror freight Badlands 12000 lb electric winch is on black Friday 3 day sale for $279.99.

Anyone have any compelling reason to stay away? This is not being used for offroading, going on my car trailer for non-running vehicle (and poo poo) loading. The only negative opinions or whatever I can find are not from people who've actually used it or know of one actually failing. Most opinions or comparisons paint it as a good deal at the normal $400 price point.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Sadi posted:

I need a set of carbide burrs. Planing on doing a port and polish on my subaru and gridning out a broken off easy out on my bmw. Any recommendations? I have a 1/4" 20k RPM grinder.

I wouldn't go cheap but I use mine all the time. 20k rpm is no joke.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Looking for a 750-1000 lb engine stand, any recommendations or anything that I should be aware of when purchasing one? They all seem so similar

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryrobots posted:

So the horror freight Badlands 12000 lb electric winch is on black Friday 3 day sale for $279.99.

Anyone have any compelling reason to stay away? This is not being used for offroading, going on my car trailer for non-running vehicle (and poo poo) loading. The only negative opinions or whatever I can find are not from people who've actually used it or know of one actually failing. Most opinions or comparisons paint it as a good deal at the normal $400 price point.

My father in law does this with their 5000lb ATV winch and a pair of deep cycle batteries. He's had the setup for years, but as with anything electronic from HF you'll probably want to get the extended warranty on it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 4, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

puberty worked me over posted:

what's the best way to heat a 500 sq ft garage on 120VAC?
Do you need the whole garage heated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBlD0WrFMKE

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does anyone have any experience of using a vibratory polisher of the type used for polishing brass for reloading to give yourself a happy for polishing up small car parts? I noticed that the Lyman 1200 is a very good price compared to larger units, and has a reasonable reputation, so was wondering about getting one to play with, or possibly as a Christmas gift for my old man.

angryrobots posted:

Not really, it's likely duty cycle, longevity, and weather sealing that fucks cheap winches, and being on an occasional-use trailer is a relatively easy life for them compared to 4x4 use. I'd have no problem with a generic Chinese winch in that situation, though I'd say to conside an old worm-drive branded one too. They are not fast, but they do tend to plod along indefinitely, and it's not like line speed is a big deal if you're just loading a trailer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gonna post a shout out to those random tools that save your rear end when you least expect it.

My late father in law - never met the man - was an aircraft mechanic at one point and had quite the collection of tools. Unfortunately for me, by the time I started dating my wife, her mother had already given most of them away piecemeal, but there were still enough left to fill a small suitcase, which have been part of my collection for years now.

One that just saved me a ton of frustration the other day is a partial set of Mac SAE angle wrenches, where one head is open at a 60 degree angle to the body of the wrench. I had to break loose a brake line tee that is just suspended by the lines themselves, and hasn't been apart in 46 years. It's blocked on most sides by the frame of the truck, but with just enough room that the 1/2" dropped right onto it and held the tee while I used a flare nut wrench on the line. Would've probably been a lot of swearing involved without it.

Definitely going to work on adding more of those to my set, just not the fancy Mac ones. $460 for the full set today, goddamn.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Gonna post a shout out to those random tools that save your rear end when you least expect it.

My late father in law - never met the man - was an aircraft mechanic at one point and had quite the collection of tools. Unfortunately for me, by the time I started dating my wife, her mother had already given most of them away piecemeal, but there were still enough left to fill a small suitcase, which have been part of my collection for years now.

One that just saved me a ton of frustration the other day is a partial set of Mac SAE angle wrenches, where one head is open at a 60 degree angle to the body of the wrench. I had to break loose a brake line tee that is just suspended by the lines themselves, and hasn't been apart in 46 years. It's blocked on most sides by the frame of the truck, but with just enough room that the 1/2" dropped right onto it and held the tee while I used a flare nut wrench on the line. Would've probably been a lot of swearing involved without it.

Definitely going to work on adding more of those to my set, just not the fancy Mac ones. $460 for the full set today, goddamn.

That is awesome. I use my late grandfather's tools all the time. Wear his safety glasses too.

But with the flare wr3nches you should check out the gearwrench. They are good and have enough angle for anything.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Grandma told me a couple of days ago that she still has a bunch of tools that were my aircraft mechanic Grandfather's and she wants me to have them. Gonna try to stop by in the next week or so to check them out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finally tracked down why my truck has no brakes, the rear passenger brake line has rusted through and is spraying dot3 everywhere when I compress the pedal.

Anyone have any advice for brake line cutting/flaring kits? Never done this before and looking for a starting point.

Also, anyone have any advice on cracking old and rusted bleeder nuts? I spent a good half hour yesterday blasting one with penetrating oil and trying to find something that fits, including flare nut wrenches, but only succeeded in rounding it off. I saw a recommendation online for these 4lw vise grips... Are those a good place to start?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
This is the kit that has saved my life and many of my friends. https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-5483-Master-Flaring/dp/B00H2W0ZCW its a little finicky to get used to but works awesome and a lot better than the double bar style.

For line although its a bit more expensive then regular line get the nickel reel at any parts store. Its way more easy to work with.

For breaking loose rusty bleeders heat is your best friend. And always tighten before loosening. You might be hosed since you rounded them off but cylinders aren't that expensive and you can usually sneak a new one in without taking the entire brake apart

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

angryrobots posted:

I spent two years working at one part time and don't recall seeing one coming back.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

metallicaeg posted:

I spent two years working at one part time and don't recall seeing one coming back.
*Dozens of local Jeep owners found stuck forever in nearby gully with burned out winches*

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Finally tracked down why my truck has no brakes, the rear passenger brake line has rusted through and is spraying dot3 everywhere when I compress the pedal.

Anyone have any advice for brake line cutting/flaring kits? Never done this before and looking for a starting point.

Also, anyone have any advice on cracking old and rusted bleeder nuts? I spent a good half hour yesterday blasting one with penetrating oil and trying to find something that fits, including flare nut wrenches, but only succeeded in rounding it off. I saw a recommendation online for these 4lw vise grips... Are those a good place to start?

Preoptopus hit it right on the head. But you dont want that vice grip . There are locking adjustables that will make rusty nuts your gimp. And remember when flearing brake lines always put the fitting on first. ALWAYS PUT THE FITTING ON FIRST!!I!!! and dont feel bad about rounding off fittings. there cheap and every parts store carries them. Or if you know a mechanic they usually have some spares they can throw you.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

puberty worked me over posted:

what's the best way to heat a 500 sq ft garage on 120VAC?

With propane.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664783_200664783

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ooooh