Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kanfy posted:

Wrecking Skyrim with a bow is even easier than that, the Bound Bow buffed by the Mystic Binding perk is the most powerful bow in the game DPS-wise and its only requirement is 50 Conjuration and the mana to cast it. Comes with infinite arrows and a free Soul Trap effect with Soul Stealer too.

Really though, that game falls apart in front of stealth no matter which weapon you use.

Bound Bow is great but lol at calling it the best bow in the game DPS-wise in response to a post about the enchant+alchemy loop. I mean, my bow does 1600 damage on hit plus fire damage, but sure, I'm sure Bound Bow is very nice, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shibawanko posted:

I remember I hated that in Skyrim there were no body hitzones so it didn't matter if you made a headshot with an arrow or if you just skewered their big toe or something. You could sneak and shoot someone in their left asscheek and still get more damage than if you straight up rammed an axe into their skull. Skyrim would be cool if it just had the combat system of Chivalry.

Plus you could just turn the Shout system into Chilvary's AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH button.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

food court bailiff posted:

Bound Bow is great but lol at calling it the best bow in the game DPS-wise in response to a post about the enchant+alchemy loop. I mean, my bow does 1600 damage on hit plus fire damage, but sure, I'm sure Bound Bow is very nice, yeah.

Yeah we're all real impressed with your big strong bow.

I obviously meant default bows so no need to act like a smartass. My point was that it's very easy to get and plenty strong to carry you through the whole game even if you're not interested in breaking the game with alchemy and enchanting.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 23, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Gentlemen! Perhaps we're strung a bit too tight.

No need to be arch about this. No one needs to feel shafted.

I think I'm going to bow out of the conversation at this point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I know it's in Early Access, but I picked it up last night. Anything for Slime Rancher?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I know it's in Early Access, but I picked it up last night. Anything for Slime Rancher?
Some things I learned from a few bad starts:

1) The first thing you need to buy is a farm plot so you can start growing carrots so you can keep your slimes fed.

2) Don't keep more than three or four slimes in a pen when you're starting out. The more you have, the harder it is to keep them fed, and when slimes get hungry they'll break out of the pens by forming stacks and going over the top.

3) Rock slimes are easy to keep as you second slime because it's easy to get veggies.

4) Don't keep tabby slimes until you can afford to put a roof on their pen. Otherwise they're going to catte stack their way out constantly.

5) You can get rid of Tarrs by launching them into water.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Zaodai posted:

If you feed an off-type plort to a slime, that slime will become a largo, which has the traits of both its original type and the type of the plort you fed it. Something that's important, though, is that when you feed a largo its preferred food, you get TWO plorts out instead - one of each of its types. And if that wasn't nice enough, largos also have the preferred diets of both its base types, too, so it's actually easier to feed them (although I forget if pink slimes count for this or not, since they have a diet of 'everything' and that would just make Pink/X largos strictly the best for ease of feeding). The main downside is that you can't store them in your inventory, which is kind of annoying when managing them, and they take up a lot of space. You also need to be careful not to feed a largo a third plort type, or it becomes a Tarr, which is bad.

E: pink, not blue

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 24, 2016

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

2) Don't keep more than three or four slimes in a pen when you're starting out. The more you have, the harder it is to keep them fed, and when slimes get hungry they'll break out of the pens by forming stacks and going over the top.
This is the cutest piece of advice ever posted in this thread.

Evil Mastermind posted:

4) Don't keep tabby slimes until you can afford to put a roof on their pen. Otherwise they're going to catte stack their way out constantly.
Wait, no, never mind, this one is.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm on a Napoleon kick. Any tips for Napoleon Total War?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Capsaicin posted:

Tell me about Breath of Fire 3.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but I need to comment on this game. BOF3 is one of my favorite games of all time and it's where I got my handle.

-There is a fairie village later in the game which contains a Master that provides the best agility stat increases per level ups in the game. There is also a hide and seek mini game that you play twice that unlocks masters who only teach different battle formations. One of them teaches the chain formation, which gives all party members speed equal to the leading party member. By combing these two masters, you'll regularly gain extra turns in combat, even for slow characters like Garr, if you use a fast character under the Fairy Master!

-After you gain the other lady party member, stop using Ryu as your healer. By the time that happens, you should have dragon form unlocked, which uses a significant amount of mana each turn.

-Skills are a mix of being useful and useless depending on what you learn. That being said, try to learn Burn, Influence and Frost by the time you leave the first region and head to a mountain (It happens after a significant boss fight). You can learn frost from the mage Master in the first region, Burn and Influence from examination. The elemental spells make mountain battles much easier while influence is needed to control party members when they transform, which includes one of Ryu's dragon forms.

-You can beat a certain boss fight that takes place in the Wyndia dungeons before you get Nina, but you need the best equipment up to that point, have the influence skill, and need to be at least level 15. Even then, all you get is a bit of experience, and the incredibly rare chance of drops of a broadsword and fire resistant armor you can get later in the game. It's not worth it.

-You can kill two birds with one stone by taking care of Fahl's requirement of winning 30 battles without resting by taking peco along. Go to Cedar woods and, by that time, you should be incredibly over leveled for the area. Peco gains some levels and he will turn into a tank under Fahl.

-When you get to the second half of the game as an adult, the first boss fight is an undead dragon that loves to use status effects. You can cheese this fight with the Kyrie spell. You can learn it one of two ways: Garr learns it naturally at level 26 or you learn it from the priest Master in Urkan Tapa, who will teach you the skill only if you know the Backhand skill. You can learn this skill from a hidden master located in the walls of Wyndia castle on the world map.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Teach me to be good at war. I have Wargame Red Dragon and Ultimate General Gettysburg in my library.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Legend of Grimrock II? Mainly character builds and trap skills, but anything will do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Another thing for Pokemon Sun and Moon
- Unless you are constantly adding/removing/rotating members of your team, or intentionally want the main game to be as easy as possible, keep your EXP Share turned off. It essentially almost quadruples (350%) the amount of XP you get from battles, and the game is already not exactly hard.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Another thing for Pokemon Sun and Moon
- Unless you are constantly adding/removing/rotating members of your team, or intentionally want the main game to be as easy as possible, keep your EXP Share turned off. It essentially almost quadruples (350%) the amount of XP you get from battles, and the game is already not exactly hard.

This is obviously just my opinion, but I'm going to argue that if you're not constantly rotating your team in Sun/Moon you're missing out. Besides, since you can choose which Pokémon gets sent to a box when you catch one and your party is full (as opposed to the new catch automatically getting shunted off into cyberspace) it's easier than ever to keep checking out new monsters.

This also makes it the first game where the Heal Ball isn't completely and utterly useless by the time you get one.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Caufman posted:

Teach me to be good at war. I have Wargame Red Dragon and Ultimate General Gettysburg in my library.

Wargame:

Always be scouting
Keep your CV in a forest, but don't make it the only shred of forest around. People can order artillery on it and gently caress you up.
Always be scouting

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247884292
Read this guide. It's 200 pages. Have fun!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any dark cloud 2 tips? You go down super easy in this game.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Picked up the GOD EATER games, mostly concerned if there are any missables.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Overminty posted:

Picked up the GOD EATER games, mostly concerned if there are any missables.

I played the hell out of Burst on PSP and I've been enjoying GE2 on PC. Nothing at all comes to mind that might be missable. Even the character side stories which unlock things seem to always be available aside from a few short intervals where certain characters may not be available.

Speaking of which

-make sure you do Ciel's sidequest as soon as possible in GE2. Turns out it's directly related to a very important game mechanic.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sidequests that are directly related to game mechanics in GE2 are Ciel, Gilbert and Licca. As long as you try to do those ASAP, everything else can be done whenever you feel like.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Shibawanko posted:

I remember I hated that in Skyrim there were no body hitzones so it didn't matter if you made a headshot with an arrow or if you just skewered their big toe or something. You could sneak and shoot someone in their left asscheek and still get more damage than if you straight up rammed an axe into their skull. Skyrim would be cool if it just had the combat system of Chivalry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbF9ynGZV0

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I read the Dragon's Dogma article, and am unsure about one thing.
I heard from someone that I would gimp myself if I don't rush to this place called Gran Soren as fast as I can, forgoing XP so I can maximize stat growth by changing vocations at level 10 (however you do that).

Should I worry about this, or can I take my time and just play however and not feel like I got screwed over by not getting these stat boosts by playing as a fighter until I get to that place naturally without avoiding doing the missable quests?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

I heard from someone that I would gimp myself if I don't rush to this place called Gran Soren as fast as I can, forgoing XP so I can maximize stat growth by changing vocations at level 10 (however you do that).

Should I worry about this, or can I take my time and just play however and not feel like I got screwed over by not getting these stat boosts by playing as a fighter until I get to that place naturally without avoiding doing the missable quests?
ignore that, the class-based stat boosts on levelling are completely negligible

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

IAmTheRad posted:

IIRC you'd have to do a hell of a lot of grinding to miss out on any class XP for your vocation before getting to Gran Soren, plus you can change vocations well before that at the mountain checkpoint.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

IAmTheRad posted:

It can matter ~a little bit~ pre-dragon but not really enough to worry about, the game is easy enough and even then you can easily outlevel things. Post-Dragon your equipment will well eclipse your level stats to the point that level legitimately doesn't matter anymore even though you could have like 150-175 levels to go before you hit max.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Here's an oldie - Civ 3. My gap of Civ knowledge is between Civ 1 and Civ 5. I picked up Civ 3 and 4 on a steam sale a while back and I'd like to figure out what the hell I'm doing.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Legend of Grimrock II? Mainly character builds and trap skills, but anything will do.
LoG2 is pretty balanced, and there are enough skillpoints that you can't really trap yourself that badly. The best newbie party is probably just the traditional RPG party: two warriors (with different weapon styles), a ranged fighter, and a mage.

Don't roll a mage/mage hybrid with only water magic because he won't be able to cast anything to start. Also, a lot of mid-tier spells require a rank in air magic.

Firearms are kind of unwieldy and will jam at the worst possible time. They're not awful, but you should probably give a gunner some ranks in another ranged style and give them a second weapon set of that style, so you can switch quickly if the gun jams.

EDIT: Oh and give someone the Alchemist class, the class trait is absurdly useful.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 27, 2016

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

If you have the Dark Arisen version, you can change your vocation at Bitter Black Isle by speaking to the lady there. BBI opens after you fight the hydra, which is very very early in the game, and you get there via Cassardis, the starting town.

That said, there really is little point in min-maxing. The difference between switching out of Fighter at 10 and switching out at 16 or 22 is negligible in the medium run. Hitting all the side quests and taking the time is much more satisfying imo

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Photo everything. Use a guide, even, because some of the recipes are very arcane.

You should never be synthesizing raw components into your main weapon unless you really need that weapon upgrade right now. It's a far better use of points to take a second weapon, level it up to +5, jam it full of bonuses, then break it apart and push that into your primary weapon.

Early on, guns and robot are much better than wrench. If you need xp on Max's weapons, you can kill something with the robot then switch back to Max before the xp bubbles fly into you - this will distribute them evenly between wrench and gun. Similarly, if you kill something with Max's gun then switch to the robot, the robot gets all the xp, and so on. This works across characters when you get multiples, too.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Picked up a cheap PS3 copy of Skyrim Legendary edition today (don;t have anything that can run the special edition that came out recently), I haven''t played in years so anything helpful I probably don't remember?

Oh and is there any items or anything that are only in special edition? If special is just a graphics tweak I don't care about it but I hate feeling like I only have part of the content if it's like weapons and stuff.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

juliuspringle posted:

Picked up a cheap PS3 copy of Skyrim Legendary edition today (don;t have anything that can run the special edition that came out recently), I haven''t played in years so anything helpful I probably don't remember?

Like I said a bit back, the best "classes" are sneaky archer, sword 'n' board fighter, and sneaky stabber, in about that order. If you're not on PC, no mods, so nuker mage isn't a great option. Granted, the default difficulty is very easy, so even that could win.

Absolutely everyone should sideline in Alchemy. Smithing and Enchanting are also rewarding, but require grinding.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

juliuspringle posted:

Oh and is there any items or anything that are only in special edition? If special is just a graphics tweak I don't care about it but I hate feeling like I only have part of the content if it's like weapons and stuff.

Be aware the PS3 version is the worst of them, because it has a fundamentally unfixable memory leak. Your game is gonna get slower and slower overtime as it accumulates loaded content.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I do have Dark Arisen, but getting to the town before level 10 wasn't an issue. I got there and the quest xp got me to level 10, so I could immediately change vocations.

But now I wonder if there's a better way to travel around instead of hoofing it. I walked from Gran Soren to the starting town because it had quests to do that I wanted to hold off until I could change classes, but not the quests that I could miss before getting to the city. I made sure to do those.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

IAmTheRad posted:

I do have Dark Arisen, but getting to the town before level 10 wasn't an issue. I got there and the quest xp got me to level 10, so I could immediately change vocations.

But now I wonder if there's a better way to travel around instead of hoofing it. I walked from Gran Soren to the starting town because it had quests to do that I wanted to hold off until I could change classes, but not the quests that I could miss before getting to the city. I made sure to do those.

You should have the eternal ferrystone, right? Just use that to get around, especially between Gran Soren and Cassardis.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

If you're playing the PC version, you should have the Eternal Ferrystone like ^ said. Initially the only places you can fast travel to are the two towns and BBI, but as you play you'll pick up a bunch of big glowing rocks called Portcrystals which act as movable fast travel points. The first one you'll find will be during the very first quest in Gran Soren where you get to the bottom of the Pawn Guild and get attacked by tentacles. You can plop them down anywhere in the overworld, maximum of 10. If you don't have the Eternal Ferrystone for some reason (like playing the PS3/360 versions without importing old save data) regular ol' Ferrystones do the trick too, but are consumable and Portcrystals harder to come by.

Luckily, side quests don't get locked off until you move the story forward at some points, so doing sidequest roundups around towns and with major characters is definitely a good habit.

juliuspringle posted:

If you're progressing in the Thieves Guild back in Skyrim, you can easily grab some awesome thiefy armor in Solstheim early on.

Offensive magic is still busted even with all the DLC content. There are some neat things to grab in each, though. The summonable horse from Dawnguard and summonable shopkeeper from Dragonborn are especially helpful.

With prestiging skills, the level limit goes from 81 to somewhere in the mid-200s (hitting the maximum number of perks). This will take a very long time to reach without cheating or abusing the system, so don't plan any builds around it or anything. It IS useful if you find yourself maxing out some useless skill, especially one you've sunk perk points into.

I don't really know what else. The game didn't change fundamentally from vanilla to Legendary edition.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

IAmTheRad posted:

I do not know why that tip is even on the wiki. It's actually a thing you should not know before you play, and also you should never care about. The difference between a min/maxed character and a character you just did whatever with knowing nothing about the mechanics means you can kill the final boss maybe two seconds faster. It could not possibly be more inconsequential. If you play 200 levels as an assassin then decide to play a mage your stats will be bad for a mage, but if you're level 200 you can murk anything as anything anyway. I played as Mystic Knight for almost the whole game, switched to assassin on a whim and was just fine. Play the game the way you find the most fun, it's really the entire point of the game.

Xythe fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 28, 2016

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Posting here as a follow up to my earlier post because I'm not sure where else to put this:

I think I just broke Skyrim. I was trying to finish the quest "No One Escapes from Cidhna Mine" and once I got through the Markarth Ruins I got to the door back into Markarth and Madanach went through, only I'm stuck because the game is telling me the door is locked.

I unlocked that door with a console command and now I'm out in Markarth with all the Forsworn standing around with Thonar and two Stormcloak guards, only nothing happens. I believe a dialogue trigger is supposed to happen here where Thonar confronts us for breaking out of the mine but everyone just interacts with me as if we're still inside. Madanach is nowhere to be found and the quest marker is pointing me back to the entrance of Cidhna Mine.

The coolest part is I burned up my recent autosaves going in/out of the ruins so I'm going to have to lose an hour of gameplay reverting to a previous manual save.

So I guess the thing to know before you play Skyrim is that it's buggy as poo poo but everyone should probably know that by now.

Bethesda.txt

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Previa_fun posted:

Posting here as a follow up to my earlier post because I'm not sure where else to put this:

I think I just broke Skyrim. I was trying to finish the quest "No One Escapes from Cidhna Mine" and once I got through the Markarth Ruins I got to the door back into Markarth and Madanach went through, only I'm stuck because the game is telling me the door is locked.

I unlocked that door with a console command and now I'm out in Markarth with all the Forsworn standing around with Thonar and two Stormcloak guards, only nothing happens. I believe a dialogue trigger is supposed to happen here where Thonar confronts us for breaking out of the mine but everyone just interacts with me as if we're still inside. Madanach is nowhere to be found and the quest marker is pointing me back to the entrance of Cidhna Mine.

The coolest part is I burned up my recent autosaves going in/out of the ruins so I'm going to have to lose an hour of gameplay reverting to a previous manual save.

So I guess the thing to know before you play Skyrim is that it's buggy as poo poo but everyone should probably know that by now.

Bethesda.txt

Stuff like that is often fixable with other console commands, the common one is using "setstage <quest id> <stage value>" (the wiki has the values at the bottom) to force the activation of a specific stage of the quest.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Also, always make a clear and separate non-quicksave/autosave save before you mess with console commands. Especially in situations where you're messing with quests and other scripted events.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DrManiac posted:

Follow a guide to figure out how to upgrade your weapons. The weapons branch and upgrade in a really convoluted way, and it's easy to make a mistake and waste materials powering up the wrong stat, or transforming the weapon into a form which is a dead end and doesn't lead to the best weapons.

Look out for little chests on the ground in the towns, they increase your max health and defense, and some of them are missable. There are some in every chapter except for chapter 1, often more appear when you upgrade the town.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

DrManiac posted:

Take a photo of Linda when she's standing on her hind legs and of the clown face missiles when they come at you

In Chapter 3, you'll get a party member who will increase the amount of points you get when an armband levels up. She is a temporary party member, so that's where you want to train up the armband.

Also monsters aren't worth it, but the gemrons are slightly less useless than the rest. Just skip the mechanic, honestly.