Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I send my boss nutsack pics all the time personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wrecking Ball posted:

I am a straight woman in a long term relationship. I have my boss and co-workers in my phone contacts. I don't want to send the wrong things to the wrong people?

maybe try looking at the contact name before pressing send on an inappropriate text?

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Taffer posted:

maybe try looking at the contact name before pressing send on an inappropriate text?

Nggaaahh. Obviously that is what people intend to do but sometimes auto-fill and mistakes happen. Nevermind, i'll never pose another question and disturb you high-and-mighty geeks again.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Wrecking Ball posted:

Nggaaahh. Obviously that is what people intend to do but sometimes auto-fill and mistakes happen. Nevermind, i'll never pose another question and disturb you high-and-mighty geeks again.

Are you that worried about autocorrect mistakes? Can't you just say "oh whoops sorry autocorrect"?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some way to make the keyboard narrower? My phone has too thin bezels so the keyboard feels too wide. Some empty margins on left and right side of keyboard would be cool.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Ihmemies posted:

Is there some way to make the keyboard narrower? My phone has too thin bezels so the keyboard feels too wide. Some empty margins on left and right side of keyboard would be cool.

Assuming you're using the (sometimes) default Google Keyboard, then not exactly - the best you can do is put it in one-handed mode, which shifts the keyboard towards one side or the other. There may be other keyboards that you can customize more.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Steely Glint posted:

Assuming you're using the (sometimes) default Google Keyboard, then not exactly - the best you can do is put it in one-handed mode, which shifts the keyboard towards one side or the other. There may be other keyboards that you can customize more.

I know about the Googke keyboard, but it helps with only one finger :/ Long thumbs and thin bezels are a bad combination.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Wrecking Ball posted:

Actually, Cyanogenmod had something like this baked into their ROMs in the Gingerbread era but the only way that would work today would be if every app had its own implementation. There's nothing in Android that gives a contact that kind of power inside every app. It's just not something Android is designed to do, I'm afraid.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Closest thing I could find is GO SMS Pro, which has a private inbox feature, it looks like you can hide the private box from the menu, so you have to dig around to access it, which would make it more difficult to click the wrong person in the list. But it also makes it more irritating when you do need to text that person. So it's a tradeoff and not quite what was asked for.

Also just to be clear, I've never used this app, let alone the feature. Just poked around for something similar.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Wrecking Ball posted:

I am a straight woman in a long term relationship. I have my boss and co-workers in my phone contacts. I don't want to send the wrong things to the wrong people?

Change all the sensitive contact names to have a few X or Zs or Qs in front of them so it won't guess them (unless you know a lot of people whose names start with X).
Or like WORKboss, WORKname.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Random use I've found for PhotoScan: scanning business cards. Now there's a use for time/date taken, plus a GPS tag.

What would be impressive, though, would be some Contacts/Photos cross-linking: contact photos are obvious, but why not expand the per-contact call/message log with photos of your contacts by date taken?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

This may not be the solution you're looking for, but check out MessagEase http://www.exideas.com/ME/index.php . I installed it about a year ago and it was a bit of a learning process but I've never looked back. I'm particularly impressed by my ability to actually blind-type on a touchscreen keyboard.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

davebo posted:

I am against having all my photos on the internet though so I just have everythign perfectly organized and labelled on my hard drive, then backup to my laptop, phone microsd card and a usb stick I keep in a fireproof safe at the office. I use Quickview to browse them on my phone.

You should get Crashplan and do automatic offsite backups. Not having to manually do that poo poo is worth the money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What would be cool is if Photoscan could scan a bunch of photos at once.

Like if you could have an album page and sweep the camera over the whole page and then it would automatically split out each individual photo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Uthor posted:

You should get Crashplan and do automatic offsite backups. Not having to manually do that poo poo is worth the money.

Eh, I just sync it from my pc to my phone like once a month or so, then to my usb and laptop once a year so it's not very inconvenient.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What's a good jazz song book app for Android? Ideally I'd like hundreds of songs both as sheet music and tablature, maybe built in playback and transposition.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A lot of apps like that you're more likely to get good answers from jazz song forums and communities rather than a general app thread like this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are there any good uses for VR on a phone beyond video? I got a cheap headset and have tried some video and it's cool and all but I was wondering if there was anything more interactive that's actually good. And if so, what do you use for a controller?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

mike12345 posted:

What's a good jazz song book app for Android? Ideally I'd like hundreds of songs both as sheet music and tablature, maybe built in playback and transposition.

The closest thing I've seen is iReal Pro, but it does not have lead sheets or melodies, instead it focuses on changes. You can select different styles of playback and transpose it pretty easily. It's designed to provide a backing track and I've found it pretty useful for practicing. I do use the app in conjunction with a real book.

I haven't seen any good way of displaying melodies or tabs on a phone. I just find the screen too small.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Are there any good uses for VR on a phone beyond video? I got a cheap headset and have tried some video and it's cool and all but I was wondering if there was anything more interactive that's actually good. And if so, what do you use for a controller?

Gear VR has a ton of games, most of them are fun for about an hour but video is really the only thing going for it right now. You either use a bluetooth game pad or aim by looking in the games I tried. I'm not sure google cardboard has anything good right now outside of video.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Thermopyle posted:

A lot of apps like that you're more likely to get good answers from jazz song forums and communities rather than a general app thread like this.

yeah, probably gonna try this as well.

Rifter17 posted:

The closest thing I've seen is iReal Pro, but it does not have lead sheets or melodies, instead it focuses on changes. You can select different styles of playback and transpose it pretty easily. It's designed to provide a backing track and I've found it pretty useful for practicing. I do use the app in conjunction with a real book.

I haven't seen any good way of displaying melodies or tabs on a phone. I just find the screen too small.

wow, that is one very interesting app. will buy.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I know it gets repeated religiously that you don't need to close apps on Android, but I really think there are exceptions. Mostly with games and occasionally with apps that are bugging out in some way. Here's a recent example.

There's nothing that should need to run at all with that game unless it's in the foreground. The battery life drains extremely quickly if I do not "close" the app by swiping it away from recent apps. If I swipe the app away or just don't launch it in the first place the battery life is a lot better.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yup, lots of games do that. It's good advice in general, and for productivity apps you're better off finding a replacement if you can, but if you're into the game not much you can do other than remember to force close it when you're done.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has anyone using a Galaxy S7 Edge made the switch from the Facebook app to Metal and noticed an improvement in battery life?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

THF13 posted:

I know it gets repeated religiously that you don't need to close apps on Android, but I really think there are exceptions. Mostly with games and occasionally with apps that are bugging out in some way. Here's a recent example.

There's nothing that should need to run at all with that game unless it's in the foreground. The battery life drains extremely quickly if I do not "close" the app by swiping it away from recent apps. If I swipe the app away or just don't launch it in the first place the battery life is a lot better.

For simple Android apps that mantra is true, but apps that use the NDK (c++) have to be far more explicit with how the CPU is managed and it's no small task. A very big portion of them fail to do this, which means it can still churn away like crazy when out of focus. This is possible with Java apps depending on how they're written, but is usually not the case, for those Android does a pretty good job of keeping them in line.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent text editor. Any suggestions?

I work with some decent size text files (say around 3,000 words) stored in Dropbox and the built-in editor in Dropbox starts to struggle around that point.

I was previously using ES text editor but then they pulled that lock screen advertising bullshit so that got binned.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any firefox add-ons (or alternate browsers) that can move the tab manager down to the bottom of the screen? I find it way more comfortable to use down there. Opera seemed to work well, as it had a bottom-screen tab manager and adblock, but it hosed up webms. Firefox obviously has ublock and plays webms just fine, but the tab stuff’s all at the top. I found this browser which seems alright and fulfills my needs, and has decent reviews, but I’d prefer something with a bit more weight and support behind it rather than just some random browser.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any Pushbullet users have the Windows app and use Windows 10? It almost always complains that I need to update the app on my phone before I can initiate a text conversation. However, if I have the little bubble, I can send a text just fine. Receiving works all the time. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution? I've emailed their support at least twice with no response. I'm really glad I didn't pay for this crap.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

rolleyes posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent text editor. Any suggestions?

I work with some decent size text files (say around 3,000 words) stored in Dropbox and the built-in editor in Dropbox starts to struggle around that point.

I was previously using ES text editor but then they pulled that lock screen advertising bullshit so that got binned.

For anyone who cares, I found one which works really well. QuickEdit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.edit

It has ads but there's a paid version which gets rid of them, which seems with the small cost.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

hooah posted:

Any Pushbullet users have the Windows app and use Windows 10? It almost always complains that I need to update the app on my phone before I can initiate a text conversation. However, if I have the little bubble, I can send a text just fine. Receiving works all the time. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution? I've emailed their support at least twice with no response. I'm really glad I didn't pay for this crap.

I didn't even know there was an app, I use the chrome extension. At one point a long ways back I couldn't send texts from my computer, but that got fixed silently at some point and works flawlessly now.

I assume since you're talking about an app you're not using chrome and the extension so that might not help much, but that's what works for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wrist Watch posted:

I didn't even know there was an app, I use the chrome extension. At one point a long ways back I couldn't send texts from my computer, but that got fixed silently at some point and works flawlessly now.

I assume since you're talking about an app you're not using chrome and the extension so that might not help much, but that's what works for me.

Yeah, I use Firefox, and I don't necessarily always have the browser open anyway.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Android Police has started their Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales Roundup.

Not a whole lot of apps right now.

Business Calendar Pro: $2.49 from $4.99
VideoShow Pro: $1.99 from $3.99
Cameringo+ Effects Camera: $1.49 from $2.99
Runtastic PRO; $2.49 from $4.99
Swiftly switch: $0.99 from $1.99
Perfectly Clear: $0.99 from $2.99
Calculator Plus: $1.49 from $2.99
7 Minute Workout Pro: $1.49 from $2.99
Maps & Navigation — OsmAnd+: $3.49 from $6.99

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any firefox add-ons (or alternate browsers) that can move the tab manager down to the bottom of the screen? I find it way more comfortable to use down there. Opera seemed to work well, as it had a bottom-screen tab manager and adblock, but it hosed up webms. Firefox obviously has ublock and plays webms just fine, but the tab stuff’s all at the top. I found this browser which seems alright and fulfills my needs, and has decent reviews, but I’d prefer something with a bit more weight and support behind it rather than just some random browser.

I looked around and found this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tabs-on-bottom/

But it doesn't appear to work for Android Firefox.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Any recommendations for an app to control Philips Hue bulbs?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

Any recommendations for an app to control Philips Hue bulbs?

Hue Pro is my go-to.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
EDT: Whoops, wrong Android thread.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 25, 2016

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

bunky posted:

Hue Pro is my go-to.

Check out Hue Vibes is pretty good as well.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

OhFunny posted:

I looked around and found this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tabs-on-bottom/

But it doesn't appear to work for Android Firefox.

I wound up settling on Dolphin, it seems to do the job. Opera magically started playing webm files fine for like a day or two, then stopped again. Dolphin seems to do everything I'd like in a browser, and I've actually heard of it before so hopefully it's reliable and supported. We'll see if it keeps up the good work, though.

Nyx
Mar 24, 2006

Like some cat from Japan
So there seems to be quite a few sleep tracker apps out there and all of the ones I've tried have a pretty standard alarm. Are there any out there that will automatically set an alarm based on when you actually fall asleep? For example, if I get into bed around 11:30 and don't actually fall asleep until 12am, the app knows when I really fell asleep and will automatically set an alarm for 8 hours from that time. Anything like that exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Check out Hue Vibes is pretty good as well.

Damnit. Now I have like three apps and two voice systems to control my light bulbs.