Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Anyway I just heard about this Documentary in another thread: Rockafire Explosion

Whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTmhS6hcY-A

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a very depressing documentary from about 10 years ago about the guy who invented the Chuck E Cheese animal band animatronics, The Rock-a-Fire Explosion, about how he had a huge factory and office dedicated to building them. Eventually the Chuck E Cheese people quit buying and all his business dried up. At one point he gives a tour of his facility and it looks exactly like these photos and what you describe. There are half-built dancing robot bears and equipment everywhere. I mean, look at this poo poo:

The guy just does his day-to-day in one office at the front and has a huge factory that's been dormant since 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

coyo7e posted:

Anyway I just heard about this Documentary in another thread: Rockafire Explosion

Whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTmhS6hcY-A

Thanks for sharing this! I love quirky documentaries like this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

cstang posted:

Thanks for sharing this! I love quirky documentaries like this.
It's pretty bittersweet and it grabbed me more than I expected. I never heard of the rock a fire and only went to Chuck e's once as a kid and it sucked.

The part with J-Fats going to Jordan was great and I liked that the guy made no bones about it.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hahaha oh just keep watching. I think the big reveal of the perpetrator not actually being a woman was pretty telegraphed from the word go, but man is that film super fun and ended in a pretty perfect way for a story that wasn't ever going to be truly resolved

This movie was really frustrating to me and confusing, so when we were done watching it my BF and I did some research and apparently the director was blocked from using a lot of footage due to ongoing lawsuits and was forced to use mostly B roll to complete the film. There should be a follow up in my opinion to explain exactly what the gently caress was going on because it really still doesn't make any sense to me at all, other than the fact that D'Amato was a repressed homosexual who got off on guys tickling each other and used his fake woman personas to cover that fact up because he is a trust-fund millionaire. I was extremely dissatisfied by this movie and it was recommended to me by someone I really trust about documentaries. I think he called it mind blowing, whereas I found it fall asleep in the middle and then pick it up the next day and get really pissed off when it turned out to be stupid at the end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's got to be a lot of information left out of Tickled because the speed and way that it escalates seems really strange. At no point does the reporter ever ask anyone "Are you really trying to destroy my life because of tickling videos?"

So it's not surprising there's a ton of stuff they couldn't use.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I went to a Q&A screening with both David Farrier and Dylan Reeve and they were so careful responding to every single question. D'Amato has it in really badly for them both it wouldn't surprise me if he had somebody there keeping an eye on them both.

The movie got checked over by lawyers countless times before the final cut was made, so I can believe a lot got left out just in case it could turn against them.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Finished tickled sand it was good. Climax and ending was good.

precision posted:

There's got to be a lot of information left out of Tickled because the speed and way that it escalates seems really strange. At no point does the reporter ever ask anyone "Are you really trying to destroy my life because of tickling videos?"

So it's not surprising there's a ton of stuff they couldn't use.
Yea probably, because as the movie shows, he never gets enough time to

This movie struck me as "The Jinx, except with a non lethal fetish"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
but was it a happy ending for you? :crossarms:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Had a Disney binge last night. Floyd Norman, which is on Netflix and is a lovely, happy documentary with a nice ending about an animator, followed by The Boys, which I've seen before but drat it's great if melancholy. Sort of two sides of the same coin. Probably best if you watch them in the reverse order but a good night's viewing if you're into Disney.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Tickled ended up being kind of a weird wet fart. I actually thought it was gonna just keep getting more strange but I guessed the final twist well before it happened. Still one of the best documentaries I've ever seen because holy poo poo. It's like Tabloid in that regard.

I just watched Tabloid based on this, and I expected a bit more given Errol Morris being behind it. Definitely an interesting story, but when most of the players are either dead/uncontactable/refusing to participate, it feels more of a recap of what happened with a bit of evidence at the end that the lady is at least currently a bit batshit.

I think if they'd managed to put something new on the table beforehand it would've been more gripping, especially if there was a challenge over it, but it felt like a TV doc using a Wikipedia article as it's source. Bit of a shame.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I just finished Tickled, and basically you could see the "twist" from a mile away but somehow didn't detract at all from how much I enjoyed the film.

The stepmother scene at the end killed me. The accent plus

"When did he start it back up again?"
"...he never really stopped."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Gimme Danger verdict: I'm too young to have properly grown up in the era of Iggy Pop, and while an overall well done music/band documentary, it doesn't really resonate unless you were already a big Stooges fan. I have only a cursory familiarity/interest in their music, though I do like it. Echoing sentiments said elsewhere, I wish it had actually covered what happend when Iggy went solo/what he was doing during that time--it seems like they just left a big void of "well there was this band and it did some stuff for a while," SOMETHING, hey! suddenly a reunion concert/hall of fame induction from nowhere!

People that were (presumably) big Iggy/Stooges fans in the audience loving loved it though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A follow up to my previous post: Waking Sleeping Beauty is the best Disney documentary I've seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Gimme Danger verdict: I'm too young to have properly grown up in the era of Iggy Pop, and while an overall well done music/band documentary, it doesn't really resonate unless you were already a big Stooges fan. I have only a cursory familiarity/interest in their music, though I do like it. Echoing sentiments said elsewhere, I wish it had actually covered what happend when Iggy went solo/what he was doing during that time--it seems like they just left a big void of "well there was this band and it did some stuff for a while," SOMETHING, hey! suddenly a reunion concert/hall of fame induction from nowhere!

People that were (presumably) big Iggy/Stooges fans in the audience loving loved it though.

To be fair, nobody wants to see a documentary about what Iggy Pop did in those years. A lot of it was terrrrrrrrible.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Watched some new Netflix documentaries. For the Love of Spock is fantastic if you're into Star Trek, though I wish there was more William Shatner. Seriously, they're best friends for 50 years and he gets two lines?

Holy Hell was a fantastic look at cult life, and you're just waiting for the sex ball to drop. There's a lot of tears and I didn't feel sorry for any of them, but it's pretty fascinating stuff and a great look into human psychology.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the gist of holy hell?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the gist of holy hell?

A man, who happens to be a videographer, joins a cult in the 80s. Very lovey-dovey-peace-joy-anddefinitelyprobablysex cult. Since he happens to be a videographer he basically films the whole thing from the start of his journey up until today.

It's pretty good and I recommend it. Although I disagree with Alan_Shore in that I did feel sorry for some of them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I watched HyperNormalisation today. It felt a bit like I was watching a conspiracy documentary, just one much less extreme and silly. I'm going to give it another watch some time this week.

I do recommend it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I watched HyperNormalisation today. It felt a bit like I was watching a conspiracy documentary, just one much less extreme and silly. I'm going to give it another watch some time this week.

Yes, and also all the rest of his catalog.

I especailly liked the UFO section lol.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

Yes, and also all the rest of his catalog.

I especailly liked the UFO section lol.

I'm only half way through but almost stopped at the UFO part. It seemed his summation of the Reagan/Gaddafi affair was very accurate. I'm kind left scratching my head about the whole thing now. I certainly will finish it though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was a kid back then, but even then I remember people saying that ufo's are just a govt cover story for top secret air weapons.

Way more mundane than I had hoped :smith:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

At home in Chicago this Christmas, and Hoop Dreams was on cable today.

It's amazing how little we've progressed in our attitudes as a country for the past 20 years. Still as powerful today as the day it was released.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ruddiger posted:

At home in Chicago this Christmas, and Hoop Dreams was on cable today.

It's amazing how little we've progressed in our attitudes as a country for the past 20 years. Still as powerful today as the day it was released.
Unfortunately, it's one of those movies that will remain relevant for the rest of our lives. Reminds me a lot of Do the Right Thing.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just saw "Do not resist" about the militarization of law enforcement in the US.

drat, I don't even know where to begin. I knew a bit about it, but seeing an MRAP drive in a sleepy town and the mayoral staff justifying it because it is free is something else.

I really got the vibe that a lot of these swat guys and the police see their fellow citizens as the enemy. That is hosed on so many levels.

The black people getting their house swatted..... drat that is some harsh stuff.

And what is up with the language?

"It got dynamic", To old black man who got his windows smashed: " You are affiliated I can see how they would get that idea" .

Depressing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So worth a watch? I kinda skipped over it as I thought I might be a bit preaching to the choir, of which I'm already a member.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

So worth a watch? I kinda skipped over it as I thought I might be a bit preaching to the choir, of which I'm already a member.

Dunno, the makers don't really say anything, the footage kinda speaks for itself. I mean an MRAP in a two horse town, what's there to say really?

If you are already a member it will just piss you off I guess ;)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It might be hard to track down, but if you like music documentaries, Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns is really good. Anyone who's ever listened to more than a few TMBG songs know they're not exactly shiny happy dudes all the time, especially in their older days, and Gigantic does a great job covering that aspect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Dunno, the makers don't really say anything, the footage kinda speaks for itself. I mean an MRAP in a two horse town, what's there to say really?

If you are already a member it will just piss you off I guess ;)

Ha, I'll probably save it for a day when I'm surly and drinking too much bourbon.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Kids for Cash was good, made me nice and angry. gently caress that judge forever. And of COURSE America doesn't protect kids, showing solidarity with loving Somalia. It's almost unbelievable. Almost.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat that's been on my to watch list for ages and just checked NF and saw it's on there. Even the trailer made me angry, ha.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh neat that's been on my to watch list for ages and just checked NF and saw it's on there. Even the trailer made me angry, ha.

Ha you're in for a furious treat! Let me know what you think about the case and the judge.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Hello fellow doc lovers. I have a project at work that seens impossible but it can't be...right? Our client is a youth bootcamp type program and they wish us, an ad agency, to find and license a documentary about drug abuse (specifically RX and alcohol) that neither showcases a "role model" defined arbitrarily by the client, nor shows graphic instructions on how to abuse prescription pills (chopping, cooking, injecting.) Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance. This is to be shown to 12-18 year olds who probably already use drugs, so we are all stumped.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, I could leave my webcam on for a couple hours someday.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wanna know more. Are we scaring kids straight here?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
just reenact goon drug stories

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
eyeball it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kids For Cash

Alan_Shore posted:

Ha you're in for a furious treat! Let me know what you think about the case and the judge.

I double backed it with 13th tonight as it seemed an appropriate way to end this year, ha.

Its nice it at least ended with some justice, which isn't always the way with these things.

I'm always a fan of when the accused talk to the camera in their own words, a la The Jinx. It's fascinating to watch how they see themselves. Always thinking they're smarter than everyone else and he of course showed absolutely zero remorse for what he did over the years.

The saddest part is that everyone said the records showed his behavior prior to the new facility was no different, so he's essentially rotting away on a technicality and nobody really acknowledges that there was an issue beyond the kickbacks.

Good film though, you gotta wonder about the thousands who didn't get their story shown due to time constraints. What a crappy situation for everyone involved.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ManDingo posted:

I'm only half way through but almost stopped at the UFO part. It seemed his summation of the Reagan/Gaddafi affair was very accurate. I'm kind left scratching my head about the whole thing now. I certainly will finish it though.
I think my problem with HyperNormalization is that it, simply, bears all the hallmarks of your average barely-coherent youtube conspiracy nut rant.. You know the type, where the guy goes to like the Lincoln Memorial or some Ivy League campus and then either films the landscape, or himself standing in front of it, while they rant for hours non-stop about Majick 12 and Flouride and Jade Helm and tie them all together.. The summary on teir videos are usually in all caps or almost-all caps with the occasional accidental lowercase letter, and usually they're just way, way too long to get to the point the're winding up to if there ever was one.

HyperNormalization is almost exactly like that - right down to bringing up the Cult of Dead Cow hackers and daisy-chaining them in with Iran-Contra and Assad :psyduck: and on and on, and it never really stops to allow the viewer to take a breath and absorb enough or think about it in the light of day.

I think HN would honestly be improved if a couple of those "links" were simply removed because they just aren't on the same level as many of the others.. I mean cDc made early malware for script kiddies, and I find it hard to believe that they were somehow linked into the Cold War

appleskates posted:

Hello fellow doc lovers. I have a project at work that seens impossible but it can't be...right? Our client is a youth bootcamp type program and they wish us, an ad agency, to find and license a documentary about drug abuse (specifically RX and alcohol) that neither showcases a "role model" defined arbitrarily by the client, nor shows graphic instructions on how to abuse prescription pills (chopping, cooking, injecting.) Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance. This is to be shown to 12-18 year olds who probably already use drugs, so we are all stumped.
"A documentary about substance abuse" is hugely broad. You really need to hit them back with a request for a clearer objective - or you can force them to be more specific by finding a bunch of Reefer MAdness type poo poo and just shoveling at them and seeing how they respond. Half-Baed is a good anti-drug movie except that people think it glorifies drugs for some reason.. Also there's not really any women on drugs and the guys have to quit drugs to get laid.

I mean outside of specific tutorials on how to crush up pills and filter them with cigarette filters so you don't get the pill coating into your IV, a "tutorial" could be anything from a stock clip of a kid stealing a bottle of pills from grandma's medicine cabinet, to grab-n-dashes from the local beer market, holding a paper bag and a can of spraypaint or compressed air with an intense look...

Seriously though I'd just find some stock poo poo from old DARE programs and anything without a license, go through it yourself, and then throw it at the client and ask for a more refined direction.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 31, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

coyo7e posted:

I think HN would honestly be improved if a couple of those "links" were simply removed because they just aren't on the same level as many of the others.. I mean cDc made early malware for script kiddies, and I find it hard to believe that they were somehow linked into the Cold War

They're sure as hell linked to the Cold War 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

coyo7e posted:

Wasn't the thing with the hackers part of a different thread to the stuff about the Cold War in the documentary? Alongside all the stuff about Kissinger or whatever Curtis seemed to be trying to tell this story about how people began to view the organisational power of the internet as a means to change the world. Later in the documentary there's a load of stuff about how the Occupy protests and the younger Tahrir Square activists were a realisation of this idea, which Curtis thinks ultimately failed because they didn't present any actual political content , only an empty process to manage things.

Agree totally with what you're saying in general though. Any point Curtis tries to make is hard to find amidst his crazily scattershot approach to story telling.