Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nitsuga posted:

Why is it that the 850 EVO and X400 are the two default options? There's a trove of $60 250 GB drives out there, and some are recommended by other outlets (PNY, SK Hynix, and AMD come to mind). I understand there are some pieces that aren't as desirable (TLC, longevity, performance), but it seems that they are never recommended here.

It's significantly faster than most of the consumer market but not quite as excessive (and expensive) as like the 850 Pro. It's nice as a boot drive.

Samsung has a reputation for reliability and some of the other brands have been known for issues in the past (of course the 840 Evo had a not-so-awesome glitch too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

blowfish posted:

$90 for 240gb isn't even that cheap. While given the reviews it's probably not going to die unreasonably soon it's probably going to have middling performance as a no name TLC drive and there's no reason not to get a Sandisk X400 instead.

You're aware that those are Canadian dollars, right? The X400 is $36 more expensive on newegg.ca.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Silicon Motion drive - I bought one of their MLC drives for an HTPC a couple years back and it's been great. Just keep in mind that unless you already checked a review and saw otherwise, performance may indeed be unexceptional.

The X400 and 850 EVO are both recommended because they have good performance and support, and aren't known to have any reliability issues or huge caveats. There are lots of acceptable models out there though if you're not particularly concerned about huge durability or top-end performance, they're just less well known so people are gun-shy about recommending them.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool, I know $30 isn't a huge difference, but I just thought it was worth asking about. I'll be trying out the Hynix soon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I have a question.

My stepfather wants to add either the 960 PRO or 960 EVO to his P50 workstation.

However, the following article gives me pause:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-my-P50-ThinkPad/ta-p/3459369

To what extent do I, and by extension he, need to be worried about the lack of NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Iron Rose posted:

So I have a question.

My stepfather wants to add either the 960 PRO or 960 EVO to his P50 workstation.

However, the following article gives me pause:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-my-P50-ThinkPad/ta-p/3459369

To what extent do I, and by extension he, need to be worried about the lack of NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management?

The 960s incorporate a copper heatspreader layer on the backside to handle thermals better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 960s incorporate a copper heatspreader layer on the backside to handle thermals better.

So the laptop will see the NVMe drive and the lack of "device power management" and "device thermal management" will not, to your knowledge, cause any issues?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

So the laptop will see the NVMe drive and the lack of "device power management" and "device thermal management" will not, to your knowledge, cause any issues?

It shouldn't - even if it does get warm, they're designed to throttle themselves, and even throttled they'll offer better performance than an SATA SSD.

Here's proof that the 950 Pro works in the P50: http://mikefrobbins.com/2016/03/10/upgrade-to-ssd-hard-drives-in-a-lenovo-thinkpad-p50/

I can't promise that it'll be glitch-free - NVMe is still a rather new 'thing,' and I've never personally used one myself.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there is a company that makes SATA power connectors meant for 3.5 to 2x2.5 drive bays? I'm trying to find ones that basically put the connectors right next to each other and have a 90* downward turn. I don't anyone knows of such thing and I'll probably have to make my own.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anandtech 600p review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10850/the-intel-ssd-600p-512gb-review

Edit - Raid-based ssd card gets a final breath of life
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mx-technology-mxssdep3-ssd-review,4792.html

I loved the brute force concept of RevoDrive. It turns out RAID-based SSD is an antiquated concept for a reason outside one specific use case, but god drat I love weird poo poo like this.

Edit 2 - News section updated. OP was made August 31st and a lot of new poo poo has come out since then. It's probably OP suggested drives refresh time.

I'll start by opening the floor to suggestions -- what should go up / be taken down. I think for starters the RD400 might actually deserve a place at least in recommended NVMe with a caveat that we may not have much anecdotal experience with Toshiba's customer service for consumer devices. It would look kinda weird to include the 600p and not the RD400. There was a guy toward the beginning of this thread who had one working just fine. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10850/the-intel-ssd-600p-512gb-review/8

600p as a budget option?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 23, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SlayVus posted:

Does anyone know if there is a company that makes SATA power connectors meant for 3.5 to 2x2.5 drive bays? I'm trying to find ones that basically put the connectors right next to each other and have a 90* downward turn. I don't anyone knows of such thing and I'll probably have to make my own.

You could see if Molex has something like that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Okay, second question.

I have two spare PCI-e slots on my motherboard and 8 256gb mSATA SSDs lying around that I'm, frankly, never going to use in a laptop or desktop and never going to be able to sell. I'm probably only going to be putting games on there, so I don't care much about data loss one way or another.

Is my best option one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-Components-Other-SD-PEX40079/dp/B00KKO6N98

It's a 4 port mSATA raid card. Never used raid before and care more about capacity than I do data security. Is this the sort of thing I should be looking at? I can't seem to find any cheaper or better alternatives.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 23, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Paul MaudDib posted:

Samsung has a reputation for reliability and some of the other brands have been known for issues in the past (of course the 840 Evo had a not-so-awesome glitch too).

Life is too short to deal with dead drives. Lets say I make $20/hr. My a dead drive is going to at least eat up 2h of 1. Seeing if the drive is dead, 2. Fretting over lost data 3. Removing drive 4. Sending back to Samsung 5. Installing new drive 6. Restoring from backups. Even at that rate, upgrading to an 850 is a no brainer. Any additional hassle or increase to my hourly rate just makes a more solid case.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay, second question.

I have two spare PCI-e slots on my motherboard and 8 mSATA SSDs lying around that I'm, frankly, never going to use and never going to be able to sell. I'm probably only going to be putting games on there, so I don't care much about data loss one way or another.

Is my best option one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-Components-Other-SD-PEX40079/dp/B00KKO6N98

It's a 4 port mSATA raid card. Never used raid before and care more about capacity than I do data security. Is this the sort of thing I should be looking at? I can't seem to find any cheaper or better alternatives.

You basically want to make a bigass bank of otherwise-useless mSATA drives because why not? That's awesome.

Looks like your bandwidth limitation by the PCIe 2.0 x4 connector of the card is going to be 2 GB/s. Not that it'll actually give you that; it is using a Marvell 88SE9230 controller. I am seeing people getting that controller as high as 450MB/s in other SSD+RAID configurations.

You'll basically have an aggregate SATA SSD that performs like....an okay SATA SSD.

Cautionary note: with every mSATA device you throw in there, you're increasing the risk of failure on a straight curve. Still, that looks like a hilarious & fun thing to try out if you have the money to burn and spare time. WHat are the 8 mSATA drives, if you don't mind my asking? Some napkin math may help show whether risk vs reward is worth the $76 price of that card.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 23, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Skandranon posted:

Life is too short to deal with dead drives. Lets say I make $20/hr. My a dead drive is going to at least eat up 2h of 1. Seeing if the drive is dead, 2. Fretting over lost data 3. Removing drive 4. Sending back to Samsung 5. Installing new drive 6. Restoring from backups. Even at that rate, upgrading to an 850 is a no brainer. Any additional hassle or increase to my hourly rate just makes a more solid case.

Reminder that 840s don't break, they slow down.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

You basically want to make a bigass bank of otherwise-useless mSATA drives because why not? That's awesome.

Looks like your bandwidth limitation by the PCIe 2.0 x4 connector of the card is going to be 2 GB/s. Not that it'll actually give you that; it is using a Marvell 88SE9230 controller. I am seeing people getting that controller as high as 450MB/s in other SSD+RAID configurations.

You'll basically have an aggregate SATA SSD that performs like....an okay SATA SSD.

Cautionary note: with every mSATA device you throw in there, you're increasing the risk of failure on a straight curve. Still, that looks like a hilarious & fun thing to try out if you have the money to burn and spare time. WHat are the 8 mSATA drives, if you don't mind my asking? Some napkin math may help show whether risk vs reward is worth the $76 price of that card.

Basically that's about right!

It's a bunch of (working) ripped OEM drives from Dell ultrabooks. Same model and part numbers I believe. I did IT/tech support work for awhile at a digital marketing agency and we have a three year upgrade cycle, so there were a ton of othewise perfectly workable drives that we were throwing away due to a lack of, ironically, storage space.

I look at it as $76 for effectively a 1TB SSD that's admittedly unreliable, but if I'm just tossing a bunch of big open world games on there that otherwise eat gigabytes of storage space... eh? Does it really matter that there's a big risk of data loss at that price? And I still have 4 backup drives in that case to substitute in, so it's hardly the end of the world if one of them breaks and I need to reinstall a drive and everything on it. I have no data caps and a 100 MB/s (not Mb/s!) download speed.

Figure it's a reasonable cost for what I'm getting, and as much as I bemoan my ridiculous ATX case/motherboard, at least this way I'm getting some use outta it.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 23, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm going to take off my adult responsibility hat for a second here.

(clanking noises on desk)

Fucken do it mate. And post a screenshot of crystal disk mark :D

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Skandranon posted:

I agree that any amount of trouble is expensive, but I think the vast majority of devices of any brand (excepting maybe pre-acquisition OCZ) become obsolete and are replaced for that reason before failing. I've bought at least 10 SSDs over the past 5+ years from various manufacturers including Samsung, Sandisk, Intel, Kingston, Crucial, Silicon Power, and Transcend and not a single one has ever failed. Most have been midrange at best consumer models, and a few have been refurbished. I can accept that I'm lucky, but it's not like most cheap SSDs are ticking time bombs.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

I agree that any amount of trouble is expensive, but I think the vast majority of devices of any brand (excepting maybe pre-acquisition OCZ) become obsolete and are replaced for that reason before failing. I've bought at least 10 SSDs over the past 5+ years from various manufacturers including Samsung, Sandisk, Intel, Kingston, Crucial, Silicon Power, and Transcend and not a single one has ever failed. Most have been midrange at best consumer models, and a few have been refurbished. I can accept that I'm lucky, but it's not like most cheap SSDs are ticking time bombs.

They are MORE a ticking time-bomb than the 850. How much more? Hard to say. For personal use, definitely worth the extra $$$. If I had to buy 10+ for some project, would start considering other options.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My HDD seems to be on the way out (occasionally when I shut down my PC or put it into sleepmode it'll stay on for five or more minutes on a black screen while the Hardrive activity light stays lit the whole time) so I'm looking to put in an SSD when I buy the replacement HDD. I've only just learned that m.2 is a thing and apparently my motherboard has a slot for one. Is it worth getting an m.2 over a regular SSD?

My motherboard is an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, I can't find the box right now but here is what the Amazon page says about the m.2 slot: "1 x PCIe 3.0 x4 up to 22110 (PCIe and SATA mode) (Support U.2)".
I'm willing to spend a little over £200 (approx US$250) for as much space as possible. I don't really know what manufacturers make good stuff or if there are any I should avoid.

Also, are there any difficulties or extra steps for getting Windows to boot off of an m.2 compared to an HDD or SDD?

Thanks for any advice, and thanks for Potato Salad for pointing me to this thread.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Veotax posted:

Also, are there any difficulties or extra steps for getting Windows to boot off of an m.2 compared to an HDD or SDD?

The process is identical, it's just another type of port so same thing from Windows' perspective.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
drat, a bit disappointing if you ask me. Seems like the 850 EVO outperforms it on basically any test. Pricing seems about the same on pcpartpicker so I don't know if it's much of a budget option. I'd say a 600p is a perfectly valid option if/when it goes on sale cheaper, or if say someone is doing a tiny SFF build that absolutely must have an m.2 NVMe drive for space reasons. But if I personally was writing the OP I think I would present the 600p as a niche option for those scenarios.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah, hella disappointing. I was looking forward to a 600p as "Well, it's slow, but Intel respects its warranties."

The likes of Crucial and Kingston will say "Ferk u lol" if you try to get a replacement so far as I know. I don't know what Toshiba OCZ support is like, so I can't offer their budget NVMe drive as an option. Is there a budget option from a vendor who will actually give a gently caress about customer support?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I would assume any great SSD deals will be posted here? I am looking to pick up a relatively big cap SSD on black friday.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah.. lame! WTF Intel?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

I would assume any great SSD deals will be posted here? I am looking to pick up a relatively big cap SSD on black friday.

These are Newegg's not-live-yet SSD deals:

SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Solid State Drive for $59.99
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99
Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB Solid State Drive (SSD) $249.99

Obviously the latter one is the :stare: one that everyone's eying. I've a feeling at ~3am tonight and/or tomorrow everyone's going to be :f5:ing the gently caress out of Newegg. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to snag it, but I've already registered my AMEX card for the $25 off 200 promo so hopefully I can score it for $225 instead of $250.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat that's a nice price. In :canada: the X400 1TB can be had for $319 at NCIX but that is the pre Black Friday sale and the actual one might be better. The 850 Evo is $110 more (prices CAD).

Still eyeing one for a steam/games disk.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

priznat posted:

drat that's a nice price. In :canada: the X400 1TB can be had for $319 at NCIX but that is the pre Black Friday sale and the actual one might be better. The 850 Evo is $110 more (prices CAD).

Still eyeing one for a steam/games disk.

The 850 EVO is better than the x400, but it's sure as hell not $110 better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Iron Rose posted:

The 850 EVO is better than the x400, but it's sure as hell not $110 better.

That was my feeling as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Skandranon posted:

They are MORE a ticking time-bomb than the 850. How much more? Hard to say. For personal use, definitely worth the extra $$$. If I had to buy 10+ for some project, would start considering other options.

I've had some data corruption on my 840 Evo at work even with the firmware update installed and Magician updated. It's impossible to say for sure that it wouldn't have happened with another SSD since Facilities can't keep the loving power from dropping out overnight. It's not like most other SSDs have good power-loss prevention either (except Intel), and an inconveniently timed power drop can corrupt literally any storage system, but most other SSDs are not continually rewriting their data blocks to avoid their flash losing its electrical charge. That seems like a major caveat about the 840 Evo and I would advise being on a UPS with it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 24, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

These are Newegg's not-live-yet SSD deals:

SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Solid State Drive for $59.99
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

Obviously the latter one is the :stare: one that everyone's eying. I've a feeling at ~3am tonight and/or tomorrow everyone's going to be :f5:ing the gently caress out of Newegg. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to snag it, but I've already registered my AMEX card for the $25 off 200 promo so hopefully I can score it for $225 instead of $250.

The Sandisk Ultra II has dropped below $200 on Amazon Lightning deals in the past but hasn't lately. Frankly I'd rather have a 960 GB Ultra II for sub-$200 than an 850 Evo for $250, but at those prices the 850 Evo is the obvious star of the pack here.

Are they still running any Visa Checkout deals?

edit: MX300 750 GB for $99 starting via Newegg eBay, starting 12pm PT

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 24, 2016

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Samsung store is gonna have that for the same price starting the 24th. I'm hoping that everyone else will follow suit.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Fry's has the 1tb 850 Evo for $229 as one of their Black Friday deals if you're signed up for their daily promo code emails.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

JnnyThndrs posted:

Fry's has the 1tb 850 Evo for $229 as one of their Black Friday deals if you're signed up for their daily promo code emails.

Does that include the Watch Dogs 2 code?

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Sandisk Ultra II has dropped below $200 on Amazon Lightning deals in the past but hasn't lately. Frankly I'd rather have a 960 GB Ultra II for sub-$200 than an 850 Evo for $250, but at those prices the 850 Evo is the obvious star of the pack here.

Are they still running any Visa Checkout deals?

edit: MX300 750 GB for $99 starting via Newegg eBay, starting 12pm PT

Don't forget that Newegg is including the Watch Dogs 2 code. I, too, am bummed I missed the Sandisk deal, I think it was $170 which is a steal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm not counting on the discounted EVOs including the game code - if they do, it's gravy, but the reviews of WD2 aren't that stellar.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

VulgarandStupid posted:

Does that include the Watch Dogs 2 code?

I don't see it mentioned, so I'm guessing 'no'. All I've seen is a teaser blurb though.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Why isn't there a 2 TB 950 Evo?

$999 sell a shitton of 'em easy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Seamonster posted:

According to the Anandtech review:

The back side of the 950 Pro is empty so a 1TB model should be geometrically possible if not economical, but the extra NAND packages would be even more susceptible to thermal problems. Samsung is instead choosing to wait for their 256Gb third-generation V-NAND before offering a larger model of the 950 Pro.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Seamonster posted:

The 960 Pro comes in sizes up to 2TB. Samsung wants $1299 for it. It'll be $999 in six months when other companies have 2TB NVMe drives in channel, but seeing as Samsung's the only game in town for high-capacity NVMe, they want $1299 for it now.

The 960 EVO tops out at 1TB (or rather, .977TB).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 24, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Seamonster posted:

Just do what I did, get 2x850 1tb from some Black Friday sales, put in RAID-0, runs pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What are the thread thoughts on the Tomshardward recommended SK Hynix drives? They seem to offer 850 Evo levels of performance with 60% of the warranty at 63% of the price currently. Not exactly a value proposition but it seems like a reasonable way to save a few bucks right now if the stats are accurate.