Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Black Friday is gonna be new boot day, anyone have a opinion on either of these?

I want to give Lowa's stuff a try but not jump right in with a $300 pair of boots. But, I am open to anything waterproof and rugged if anyone has any suggestions. I am still figuring out my spring/summer footwear plan, so whatever I buy this week will be mainly for fall/winter, so I don't mind them being a bit heavy/hot. I do a ton of water crossings and hike in wet/marshy spots so a high boot is also a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

nvm misread

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

theroachman posted:

Does a 100g gas bottle fit inside that pot?

Yes, but the 220g does not.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lots of good advice! It was always a tossup between the Jetboil and the MSR Pocket Rocket. The Jetboil is definitely more expensive but I like the fact that the pot is also a cup, which is perfect for the morning when I can boil a cup of coffee in less than a minute. Also good shout on the coffee grounds, they're probably more trouble than they're worth.

I'll see what the weight difference is between the Jetboil and the MSR + pot. If it's a huge difference I might opt for that instead. I'll only be doing drinks, oatmeal and pasta, plus it's thru-hike so weight and convenience is key.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, y'all are making my stove situation look sad. I just have some little knock-off thing that screws onto a 100g gas can. I have a tin pot that goes on top. No handles though. I stick a spoon into a loop on top and can kinda lift it off without burning myself.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

You're so close to a hammock, it's almost maddening... Why not ditch the ground tarp altogether and go full bore on the hammock? Wouldn't weigh hardly any more than your current setup (less if you go with a hex tarp), and you'd be so much drier and comfier.
My partner and I finally got some hammocking in the past few days in Henry Coe State Park. No sore back, shoulders, or hips. I don't think I can ever sleep on the ground again.

One hammock was a double layer that I sewed up to slide a pad in diagonally and the other is a small $20 Eno knockoff from Amazon. I was surprised to find the foam thermarest was warmer than my underquilt. Maybe I need to find a better way to rig up the quilt. It would suck cold air down to my back whenever I shifted.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you're looking to ever do anything more than just boil water, a separate stove and pot are the way to go. Jet boils are incredible at boiling water really fast but cooking in them is slightly more frustrating. If all you ever plan to do is freeze dried and dehydrated food then a jet boil isn't a bat route.

I prefer the flexibility of a stove and pot system. It doesn't take that much longer to boil and you can always change the size of the pot based on your trip. I found an msr pot set that is coated with a ceramic non sick surface that works incredibly well and cleans very easily. Being ceramic coated, it doesn't appear to be wearing out at all like traditional teflon. It's a little large for one person (1.8 liters maybe?) but cooking for a group is easy and things like soup are real nice.

I've also cooked bacon, sausage, eggs etc in it and it was nice to have that option. You can't really do that with a jet boil.

If you're looking for easy speed, you can't go wrong with a jet boil type integrated system.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wow, y'all are making my stove situation look sad. I just have some little knock-off thing that screws onto a 100g gas can. I have a tin pot that goes on top. No handles though. I stick a spoon into a loop on top and can kinda lift it off without burning myself.

No worries man, I used a pump-up Coleman for about 15 years until it turned into a blow torch.

I do just about all of my hiking food with the freezer bag method. For an insulated coozy I taped up a thermal foam envelope, so far I've been very pleased with how the whole system works.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CopperHound posted:

My partner and I finally got some hammocking in the past few days in Henry Coe State Park. No sore back, shoulders, or hips. I don't think I can ever sleep on the ground again.

One hammock was a double layer that I sewed up to slide a pad in diagonally and the other is a small $20 Eno knockoff from Amazon. I was surprised to find the foam thermarest was warmer than my underquilt. Maybe I need to find a better way to rig up the quilt. It would suck cold air down to my back whenever I shifted.

Thanks for sharing this! It looks really cosy. That'll be me soon!

I'm looking at the Snow Peak Litemax now (https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Litemax-Renewed-Stove/dp/B007VLFI6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479968694&sr=8-1&keywords=Snow+Peak%27s+Litemax) with the titanium cup/pot combo. I'm just one man on a mission, I don't need 1.8L pots and frying pans!

Is anyone else paranoid when they're hammocking about the safety of their backpack? It'll just be sitting under me, ripe for the plucking. At least in a tent it feels more secure.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've never kept my pack inside my tent. If someone wants to steal my stuff while I'm camping, they're pretty much just going to get it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Same here. I don't really worry about my pack. Must paces I go are far enough away from a trail head or parking lot that if someone wants to steal it, they wild have to carry it several miles out which seems like a lot of work for some used backpacking gear.

If I'm sleeping in a tent by myself and have the room then I might bring it inside to ensure it stays dry. If I'm sharing my tent I keep it outside hanging from a tree with a pack cover or trash bag.

I leave my camp all the time to do full day excursions and have never worried about it. Your car is more likely to be broken into at the trailhead than someone stealing your pack.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be OK and the paranoia will disappear after a few days. Just... imagine Thru-hiking the AT and some git steals your pack. Game over!

Anyway https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/ are having a sale, $60 off their packs, including the one I want! Delicious.

Edit: just ordered my hammock! The Hyperlite Expedition Asym from Hennessy!

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 25, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jetboil minimo has good adjustment range of the heat. I've cooked lots of food with it. Just need to cover the flame if it's windy so it stays alive with low heat.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Jetboil minimo has good adjustment range of the heat. I've cooked lots of food with it. Just need to cover the flame if it's windy so it stays alive with low heat.

I looked at that! I'll have another look too. So many decisions! Shame no stoves were on sale this weekend.

Just ordered my pack! The 3400 Southwest from Hyperlite Mountain Gear, as well as some stuff sacks and a cool sack that is also a pillow.

Getting super excited now!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

CopperHound posted:

Niiiiiice, I bet Coe was a little cold this past week eh? That place is brutal in terms of switchbacks and elevation gain but its gorgeous, especially in spring. Where did you go in the park?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Verman posted:

I prefer the flexibility of a stove and pot system. It doesn't take that much longer to boil and you can always change the size of the pot based on your trip. I found an msr pot set that is coated with a ceramic non sick surface that works incredibly well and cleans very easily. Being ceramic coated, it doesn't appear to be wearing out at all like traditional teflon. It's a little large for one person (1.8 liters maybe?) but cooking for a group is easy and things like soup are real nice.

I would really like something like this for group dinners, though I guess we'd all all carry small stoves or jetboils on a longer trip. Do you think I'd need a bigger stove than my current minimal GigaPower? It would be really nice to do a little cooking in camp, and my current aluminum pot is too small to do much.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love the idea of cooking sausages and eggs and bacon in a nice pan in the woods, but that's probably very unlikely to happen on the AT :(

That said I'm sure other crazy people will bring ridiculous stove systems that I can enjoy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Alan_Shore posted:

I looked at that! I'll have another look too. So many decisions! Shame no stoves were on sale this weekend.

Just ordered my pack! The 3400 Southwest from Hyperlite Mountain Gear, as well as some stuff sacks and a cool sack that is also a pillow.

Getting super excited now!

I see that you plan on thru hiking the AT - looking at your post history, have you done any backpacking prior to this? It looks like you are going to go with your girlfriend and bring hammocks - do you plan on never having sex or just doing it in the bushes? Just curious.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

n8r posted:

I see that you plan on thru hiking the AT - looking at your post history, have you done any backpacking prior to this? It looks like you are going to go with your girlfriend and bring hammocks - do you plan on never having sex or just doing it in the bushes? Just curious.

Probably be so tired from hiking and sick of each other after a while that it won't matter anyway.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

n8r posted:

I have done lots of camping and hiking, but nothing like this. My girlfriend isn't coming any more (decided to work and make money instead) , so just some crying wanks in the hammock.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Just make sure you don't get any spooge on fleece, that poo poo'll never be the same again.

Food-wise, eggs and bacon aren't necessarily unrealistic the day of/after resupply stops. Something like this has pan for a lid and isn't much heavier than the pot alone.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cheese posted:

Niiiiiice, I bet Coe was a little cold this past week eh? That place is brutal in terms of switchbacks and elevation gain but its gorgeous, especially in spring. Where did you go in the park?
It was chilly and a little wet, but not quite cold enough to get any frost. I was able to strip down to one layer in the midday sun. I spent one night camping at the headquarters with the foolish ambition to make it to Mississippi lake the next day. My partner and I made it to the top of Willow Ridge road with just enough sunlight to set up camp. We left our camp set up and did a day hike to Coit lake from there.

The topography of this place is wonderful. On top of making an already huge park seem bigger, the contours of the hills allow for several habitats in a small area; There are oak savanna, chaparral, mixed forest, and riparian areas all within a short hike.

Here is an example of how hilly the place is. There is very little flat ground:

The narrows between china hole and willow ridge trail were difficult to get through without getting our feet wet. I imagine it would become impassible during heavy rain:

These guys are all over the place and are terrible at getting out of the way of your feet:

A couple acorn woodpeckers worked on stocking their granary tree while I enjoyed lunch under them:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 26, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Henry Coe is really fun, I've been to the south Dowdy Ranch entrance (off CA-152) a couple times, and someday I'll take the time to hike from there to the main entrance. Like CopperHound says, there are a lot of interesting habitats in close proximity.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm trying to decide on insulation for my Hennessy Hammock. I've decided that since I'll be setting it up/taking it down every day that speed and efficiency are key (e.g. an extra 2 minutes a day times 5 months equal 4 MILLION hours).

So that means keeping the tarp and hammock together in the same snake skin for quick set up and take down. My two options for insulation right now are the insulation system developed by Hennessy (https://hennessyhammock.com/products/supershelter-4-season-insulation-system-1-zip) and the Potomac UQ (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p308/Potomac_UnderQuilt.html),

The Hennessy has the bonus of the undercover being clipped to the hammock permanently, which means it can be rolled up in the snake skin. The down side is that the foam pad has to be removed and might take up a lot of space. But they also have the Radiant Pad which is good for 5c that goes inside the hammock, and is only $30.

The Potomac has to be set up separately but clips on in seconds and the reviews are fantastic. It looks a bit bulky though.

The consensus is pads suck and UQs are the way to go. But which one? And maybe it won't even get that cold on the AT and I could just get away with that Radiant pad and a nice sleeping bag?

Goddammit Leeroy.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
the radiant pad is obnoxious as gently caress to sleep on, it's loud and crinkly. Don't use the snake skins regularly, you're a big dummy if you think that putting a wet fly into a small warm space day in and day out is not a bad idea. Yes it sucks having to do them separately but sleeping in a mildew-y hammock is gross as poo poo.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, I hate the idea of sleeping on a crinkly pad.

Fine, I'll do the tarp separately and keep it in the outside pocket of my pack!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Hex fly owns btw, I use it more than my asym. The extra area is great, but that setup also weighs more than my FlyCreek UL2 which I much prefer for backpacking. I also made my own straps about of the widest webbing I could find at REI and had a local seamstress run like a 6" box & bar tack with looped ends. I now just clip them together with a carabiner and slap my two rap rings on that to tension up the mains.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A larger fly would be nice for sure! But I think I'll be OK with the standard one. Man, I can't wait to try it all out! Shame I can't until April (it's all being delivered to a friend in the USA, so I'll have a few days to test it all when I get there). I'm sure all my hammock questions will be obvious when I actually have it in my hands. I must have spent like 6 hours watching YouTube hammock videos. Why did you make your own straps, out of interest?

I have a question about the Hyperlite Asym Zip that I ordered: now I've read and seen in videos that hammocks ideally should be hung with a 30 degree angle on the straps, but for some other videos of this particular hammock the line is completely straight from tree to tree. Is that because this model is special or are people making mistakes?

EDIT: The Ultimate Hang site says to hang it at 30 degrees, so I don;t know why the Hennessy website shows it as being taut.

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 29, 2016

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It has been a sad thing over the last couple of days to watch the area that I spend my weekends hiking (GSMNP) burn. I hope they catch whoever started the fire on the Chimney Tops Trail which now is burning not only the park but Gatlinburg.

This is the Chimney Tops on fire before the winds.

This is what it looks like everywhere on the Tennessee side of Newfound Gap.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
Looking at doing a trip to Las Vegas and the surrounding area in April/May next year (from the UK). Would be hiking the usual stuff, Grand Canyon, Zion, etc.

Not sure whether we should bring camping gear though, it looks like it's a pain to get backcountry permits? I would have to apply on Thursday for April in the Grand Canyon and we decided on this trip today... Any suggestions on easier-to-get camping in the area? Are front-country campsites any good?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

a drink or two posted:

Looking at doing a trip to Las Vegas and the surrounding area in April/May next year (from the UK). Would be hiking the usual stuff, Grand Canyon, Zion, etc.

Not sure whether we should bring camping gear though, it looks like it's a pain to get backcountry permits? I would have to apply on Thursday for April in the Grand Canyon and we decided on this trip today... Any suggestions on easier-to-get camping in the area? Are front-country campsites any good?

Front country campsites at the Grand Canyon are probably also tough to come by and the usual kind of crowded etc.

I don't think it's actually that hard to get permits for the Grand Canyon as long as you're not trying to stay at all the popular sites like Indian Gardens, Phantom Ranch, etc. My dad does it every year and hasn't had trouble getting a permit and even changing it if he wants. Just come up with an itinerary to submit and you'll probably be fine and like I said it's probably even possible to change it a bit afterwards. Though I guess I should say my experience is with the backpacking areas and not the easily accessed via the big main trail popular campsites.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Alan_Shore posted:

Why did you make your own straps, out of interest?
I live(d) in the PNW where the trees are too large. Also I left the straps one day while packing up so I needed some replacements. :smith:

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

3 dead in Gatlinburg fires, hundreds of buildings destroyed

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man, that's flippin' awful. Forest fires are really poo poo :( Do they know what started it? It better not have been some rear end in a top hat.

I just calculated my gear weight, and it's incredible what stupid money will get you: backpack, stuff sacks, hammock and underquilt = 2.6KG. I'm probably gonna get the Enlightened Equipment Revelation sleeping bag, so altogether that's 3.2KG. That's so light! Ultralite is the way to go for sure.

Think I'll go for the suggest Jetboil Minimo, as it's light, compact you can cook in it. I'm thinking now whether to get a 2L Platypus Bladder or two 1L bottles/pouches for the outer pockets. Any suggestions? Also, anyone have experience with stuff like Mountain House food? Thinking of buying a few packets just for the start.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mountain house is okay, but be mindful of the sodium content if you plan on eating it long term. I've started mixing up my own basic dehydrated meals for my last couple outings. I just mix a protein with veggies, mushrooms, and bullion. After cooking I add in enough starch in the form of couscous or potato pearls to soak up all the water. I still need to get a little squeeze bottle for oil.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Alan_Shore posted:

Man, that's flippin' awful. Forest fires are really poo poo :( Do they know what started it? It better not have been some rear end in a top hat.

Welllllllllllllll.... Maybe you'd better sit down.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Forest fires are fine and good except when they get out of control because we've been trying too hard to suppress them and too much debris has built up so when a fire does happen it burns extra hot and destructive. Also, people thinking it's a good idea to build towns up in the forest where it could all burn down

But on the other hand yeah dipshits shouldn't be starting fires by being careless

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Levitate posted:

Forest fires are fine and good except when they get out of control because we've been trying too hard to suppress them and too much debris has built up so when a fire does happen it burns extra hot and destructive. Also, people thinking it's a good idea to build towns up in the forest where it could all burn down

But on the other hand yeah dipshits shouldn't be starting fires by being careless

Look at this correct and good opinion.

Here is a picture of a house that was saved because the homeowner, was not an idiot and didn't leave consumables anywhere near his house, meanwhile his barn 60 feet away, and everything metal inside of it melted to slag puddles.

This is a house that no longer exists anymore because the property owner had trees up to and overhanging the house. Sorry about your house, better luck next time.

Edit: These photos are from last season, they are not from Gatlinburg.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah people want to have a pretty landscaped house hiding in the trees instead of correctly creating a firebreak around their house when they live in a danger area. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Canadian Federal Government just approved a pipeline through Jasper National Park and Mt. Robson Provincial Park. I am so angry I have no more words to say right now.