Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
What a twist! I've never been this excited at a patrilineal revelation since The Empire Strikes Back! I simply cannot wait to see where this leads us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I liked how guilt ghost past Nidr exclaimed "What?" at the exact same time I did myself. Everything else was dumb as hell though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

The problem is the people designing the game and writing the story don't seem to give a poo poo about their game.

I never think lack of care is the problem. You don't go through a crunch like game development without some care, it's just like I said: Japanese indie development is what it was 3 years ago, and it's only noticeable because they're under a Square Enix umbrella instead of any of those thousands of lovely steam indie games that appear every day.

On a side note, very interesting that Tokyo RPG Factory's logo appeared as a stand-alone company on the Nintendo Switch's company compilation. They might be more autonomous than Pokemon Company at this point.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Or more likely that we're getting an IAS port for the Switch. :confuoot:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Artix posted:

Or more likely that we're getting an IAS port for the Switch. :confuoot:

Even if it's just a port, them getting their own logo is a huge thing next to Warner Brothers and From Software. Especially when Square Enix is on the same page as them.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Just caught up with the LP.

This game sucks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HMS Boromir posted:

Just caught up with the LP.

This game sucks.

To be fair, the gameplay looks okay enough, dumb stuff like no inns aside. It's just that the story is horribly trite and can't even follow cliches properly.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

Uuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Plot. Please. Just stop sucking! I'm playing Trails of Cold Steel and it's awesome and has interesting likable characters. Please, IAS! STOP BEING CLICHE! Or at the very least poke fun at yourself!

I'm with you, buddy. Hell, maybe in some alternate world Id has LPed the Trails series, but he's a masochist for games like Drakengard 2 and The 3rd Birthday.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Geostomp posted:

To be fair, the gameplay looks okay enough, dumb stuff like no inns aside. It's just that the story is horribly trite and can't even follow cliches properly.
Some of my favorite RPGs are basically 100% clichés by volume, but they have to be tied to some character and charm to make something fun. This game is just a meandering amorphous blob with only a cargo cult-like worship of Chrono Trigger to give it any identity at all. It bums me out.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 23, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

HR12345 posted:

I'm with you, buddy. Hell, maybe in some alternate world Id has LPed the Trails series, but he's a masochist for games like Drakengard 2 and The 3rd Birthday.

He has a certain style which makes it easier to take the piss out of bad games, silly situations, lack of self-awareness, or out-of-chararcter dumb moments. It'd be harder to mock Estelle from Trails in the Sky for saying something dumb when the real game follows up by one of Estelle's companions actually telling her to her face "that was dumb".

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

HR12345 posted:

Currently rerunning (NG+ on easy so basically steamrolling it just to see all bonding events) the game as well since the second part is due in about 3 weeks. I have to say i love the Trails series because they really remind me of Suikoden with their more localised conflicts and it's nice to see that adults are for once not incredibly useless but rather badass themself. Only small thing I dislike about Cold Steel is that on higher difficulties the last fight is a pretty much a pure lvl check even if you know how it works which kept me from playing it on Nightmare.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
A preoccupation with Chrono Trigger also gave the world Daikatana.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I think this thread needs an indefinite hiatus, because you folks tripping over yourselves acting like every single thing in this game is the most flabbergasting insult to a genre full of 99% bad video games is getting to be the most tedious loving thing on the planet to read. Oh and now we're doing bad fanfiction ideas about other garbage games I could have LPed? Yeah, that's not weird and annoying. No sir, normal behavior. Not something I'd tell you to gently caress right off with.

:siren: YO DON'T DO THIS poo poo ANYMORE OR I'LL LOCK THE THREAD AGAIN! :siren:

It's fine to criticize this game since it has a *lot* of issues. But if you've got a half dozen post in a row that are nothing but exasperated faux-frustration, save that poo poo for a Youtube comments section, champ. I'm sick of it.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 24, 2016

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Snow Chronicle 7: The Tiniest Update to Take a Month to Post

Music: Last of the Blood

Well it’s been a while and as it turns out, we’ve got a chapter round-up to do. So that’ll be a nice refresher. Looking at it now... maybe Journal percentage is the best measure of how much is of the game we’ve gone through. Except for the fact the penultimate chapter is where 100% of the game’s side quests are stuffed so ehh... Percentages in video games are dumb.

In the sub-characters category we have Setsuna’s dead aunt who looks like the C7 fighting game color palette swap of Setsuna. I cannot abide that puke green cloak and cotton candy colored hair.

Also she boned Nidr. That’s probably worth mentioning in that write-up. Well, at least it’s a backstory mom character that actually got a proper name. That’s a rarity.

So this dude is hella chill unless humans attack, at which point it consumes all monsters around it. That’s a weird symbiotic relationship. But oh well... It’s evidently extinct now.

I’m glad we know the plural of Chocolly is Chocollies. The syntax of describing multiple of this creature was keeping me up at night in a cold sweat.

I think I had a plastic version of this that made a swishing sound when you swung it back when I was like seven. I may have tragically murdered my Batman action figure baseball swinging it into a bookcase. RIP.

Yeah, a frail mage crafted this my rear end. Come spring, the people back in Royburg are going to fish the decaying magical girl corpse this wand belonged to out of the thawing ice drifts.

I’d absolutely get this tech just to summon ice cubes for my drink at will.

Again, this but just to chill drinks on command. I’d be the laziest hydromancer.

We finished up with the trek through the Northern Frontier last chapter. There was technically one last location we hit in it...

It was that empty snow prairie I’m pretty sure has no purpose whatsoever. You cannot fool me, flavor text.

We’ve now entered the Fridge Mountain Range, which will be our region of choice for the next couple of chapters. Seeing as how short this one was overall, we’ve only got one location so far...

You... You just press the buttons and follow the path. Sometimes you follow another path to press a button to extend the previous path. Once in a while you get ghosted into a pocket dimension to get a backstory dump, as you do in ancient ruins. But c’mon... It’s not that complex.

And with that we’re caught up on events. Tune in next time when we finish up this ruins and... there’s probably some snowy poo poo. Not gonna lie. It's still snowy on the other side of this mountain. Don't be shocked! You've been warned.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 29, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad this came back. I couldn't really get into the little palate cleanser you did in the meantime, so i'm glad this isn't banished to the realm of indefinite hiatuses.

... well, as much as i appreciate the effort, i'm not the biggest fan of the Chronicle updates either, but at least i have the next update to look forward to! :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I didn't post much in this thread before poo poo went down, but did get to witness the train wreck. Honestly? While I agree with TDI that this game isn't THAT bad, I don't think the posters are to blame for the super negative tone either. This game isn't super bad. But it also fails to execute well on just about every one of its ideas too, so it's not really good.

As a result, TDIs writing (which might I add spends most of its time lambasting this game for being dumb) is I suspect the only thing carrying this LP and once you get past that what IS there to talk about but "hey plot device x sure was done better in another game huh"?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 24, 2016

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blue Frost looks like one of the swords from SAO

Also, woo, good thing I didn't unbookmark this thread, was hoping it would get finished.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

the_steve posted:

Blue Frost looks like one of the swords from SAO

Why would you say this, I was almost done purging that poo poo from my mind.

Also, I need a refresher: Nidr is Setsuna's father, right? And who she thinks is her father is really a stepfather of sorts, correct?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Nice to see this return, even if we are suffering through the orangest timeline.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I hope I wasn't one of the jackasses that bitched enough to close down the thread. If I was, I apologize. Either way I'm glad to see this back and will keep a closer eye on my posting content.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

bman in 2288 posted:

Why would you say this, I was almost done purging that poo poo from my mind.

Also, I need a refresher: Nidr is Setsuna's father, right? And who she thinks is her father is really a stepfather of sorts, correct?

I never watched the anime, but the abridged version is hilarious.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Vadoc posted:

Agreed.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Vadoc posted:

I watched through the first season when it showed up on Netflix.

When season 2 rolled around, I was not the least bit tempted to continue watching. Don't really care to watch 24 more episodes of Kirito Stu and his equally perfect waifu and the harem of girls that also want him.

I'll have to check out this abridged series though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
...yeah there's really no way around it, that's a magical girl wand.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vadoc posted:

Link?
I wanna make sure I'm watching the right one when I get on Youtube later.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Correct, as far as we've been told/led to believe. Conveniently he was also a red head and apparently red hair is a dominant gene in this world so no awkward questions while growing up.

the_steve posted:

Link?
I wanna make sure I'm watching the right one when I get on Youtube later.

Gonna guess this one, but even if not it's a good one.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Part XXV: I Am a Mid-Boss

Music: Ruins

Following the altogether random visit to a pocket dimension to reveal Nidr’s past and abruptly end the chapter mid-dungeon, we’re back to... well... the rest of this dungeon. A teleporter just ahead takes us to the next zone.

The next area being... yeah, we’ve seen pretty much all of what this ruins has to offer. There’s floating paths leading vaguely to the east.

There’s a bunch of snakes. The second half also has some bats. Actually, I think they’re meant to be black birds. You know, all those ravens that love to hang out in ancient void cavern towers. The details of battling ‘em ain’t worth mentioning.

And beyond that, there’s a bunch of running about flipping switches to form a pathway through the center of the area. None of it is worth mentioning. But we do find a new item on the way...

It’s just Setsuna’s default chakram with an oversized bow tied to it. Despite this, it is better across the board than the arcane crown that can rend time itself asunder. Being cute is a formidable font of power.

Anyway, proceeding across the dungeon the southernmost point of the void leads us to...

...oh goddammit. Not this dipshit again.

Music: The Last Mountain

Illusion?
Oh uhh...
Ugh! First Nidr’s bummer zone trip and now this guy again.
...Did you all see something while you were knocked out? I’m lost.
Likewise. Who... is this man?
He’s just a mid-boss.
He is... come again?
He’s gonna say some vague threatening crap, power up and then we’re going to fight him.
Oh... I see... Why?
*shrugs and shakes head* I dunno. He just kinda shows up. Last time we... Man, does anyone even remember what happened to this guy last time we fought him?
A spritnite engine exploded in his face.
I almost died.
Oh... right... Forgot all about that.

Everyone draws their weapons...

However...

This time... you will meet your deaths...
See. Told you so.
And what is his quarrel with you?
He wants to kill the sacrifice.
Why exactly?
Like Endir said... *shrugs and shakes head*

Reaper powers up...

His magical energy has increased tenfold since last time!
So he’s Level 10 now?
Hah.

I have finally grown accustomed to this body... I can release... my true power...

Reaper forms a giant gently caress-off fireball. Everyone backs up...

What? It’ll do like 200 HP of damage, tops.
But I have less than 200 HP.
RIP.

Why? Why do you not run...? You have no hope... of victory... Do you not value... you lives...? You are humans, after all...
Well... Maybe we’re a little different from the other humans you’ve met!
*Side-eyes Kir*

Music: Endir’s Journey

I won’t let you get in our way!

Yaaaaaaaah!
...Guys, we really gotta have a team meeting and work on our one-liners.

Now!
*phases out of existence*

Music: Dance of Death

Welp. Time for another battle against Ramsus Reaper. He’s grinded levels since his previous failed attempt at thwarting the party and is now sporting a healthy 2550 HP for this go.

Reaper has given up on his unnamed basic physical attack this go around, but he’s held onto Dark Mist from Round 2. If you’ve forgotten how that one went, it’s a real tiny AOE that can hit two close together characters like we begin the battle with here. It’s worth it to blow a tech just to spread out everyone and make life easier.

Endir has his work cut out for him in healing duty every two to three rounds. I actually had to bust out some healing items for the first time during this one to help out.

Though Aeterna’s Dreamshatter tech with a Momentum buff will fully heal her. Which is nice since Aeterna’s techs tend to separate her from the group. It also does an alright bit of damage on top of that.

To the shock of nobody, Blowbeat works really well here since all that grinding Reaper did has done nothing to shield against de-buffing and stunning him into a rough time. He does shrug off Stun or Paralysis fairly quickly. But hey, it’s free time for easy hits/healing/building Momentum.

Replacing Reaper’s standard physical attacks is an upgraded version called Cursed Slash. It hits for a good 90-110 range HP of damage. On top of that, despite the “curse” title, it inflicts Sap (poison) which could be an issue. But, you know, Endir is here with a momentum’d Aura to negate that lickety-split. Cursed Slash only hits a single target so it’s easier to manage than Dark Mist.

When Reaper drops to 33% health, he employs Absorb. Absorb isn’t an attack in and of itself. It’s more of a buff to his weapon so he now err... well, absorbs HP and MP from members of our team he attacks, in addition to the standard damage. Kind of a dick move. Though, the Absorb modifier numbers are...

Nice!

And that’s about all there is to Reaper Round 3. The third of fourth Singularity I’ve gotten to pop the entire game decided to trigger literally as soon as Reaper started sucking floor tile. Real helpful, weird poorly implemented subsystem!

We gain a nice chunk of experience from beating up this mid-boss again. As always, Reaper is a bum that is never carrying any materials, so no drops from this boss battle.

Before anyone gets a chance to just stick a knife in the base of Reaper’s skull and be done with the guy, Reaper makes a hasty retreat to jobber another day. Or perhaps harass another regional conflict story arc NPC. You never know with that dipshit.

Music: A Moment of Respite

Well it was three against one. Which is weird, cuz I could have *sworn* there were six of us in fighting shape here.
He’s trying to kill me in cutsc... outside of a prepared battle.
I joined this band yesterday. I’m not involving myself in a previously established grudge.
You all handled it well enough.

Aeterna stumbles and faceplants...

Aeterna!
RIP.
*runs up to Aeterna* Hang in there!

How was she able to demonstrate magical energy on par with his?
Grinding a squirrel that was hand standing on a giant snowball.
...What?
Long story.

Aeterna climbs back to her feet after the brief fainting spell...

*shakes head* Don’t be so dramatic. I’m fine. Come on, let’s hurry up and get out of here.
*nods* Yeah... I don’t wanna hang around here any longer than I gotta...
Not it this time if you get pulled into some wack-rear end backstory realm.
*sweats*

Lucky for you folks, it’s just a short jog to the end of the platform and a Mega Man teleport away to the end of these ruins.

Tune in next time when... I don’t remember because I recorded this footage over a month ago and it stopped right here. There’s a good chance of snow in the forecast. Count on it!

Video: Reaper Battle 3

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 24, 2016

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Zagglezig posted:

Correct, as far as we've been told/led to believe. Conveniently he was also a red head and apparently red hair is a dominant gene in this world so no awkward questions while growing up.

Gonna guess this one, but even if not it's a good one.

Yep, that's the one. More converts to the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Dark Id posted:

Though, the Absorb modifier numbers are...

Nice!

Thanks, I needed that.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
That Kingdom Hearts stream a week or two ago may have done some damage. I can't help but read Reapers words and imagine the voice of a smug, over the top Quinton Flinn topped with flamboyant gestures and fabulously stupid hair.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The real source of Reaper's power upgrade is that the ruins also gave him a dramatic flashback -- to the disastrous sixth birthday party that set him down the path of evil.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Ribbons are such great accessories that even weapons are equipping them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
And according to the weapons description, the transitive properties of "weapon equips Ribbon, Setsuna equips weapon therefore Setsuna equips Ribbon" enable it to keep its normal purpose too!

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't actually do that in practice, mind.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Please don't tell me that Reaper crawled out of a landfill as a fetus and went on to be this guy.

What's the deal with his vague line about how his body can now handle his power now? Is he finally hitting the gym, or is there some possession thing that was established that I forgot?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bman in 2288 posted:

Please don't tell me that Reaper crawled out of a landfill as a fetus and went on to be this guy.

What's the deal with his vague line about how his body can now handle his power now? Is he finally hitting the gym, or is there some possession thing that was established that I forgot?

I don't think the game ever showed it, but, Reaper seems to have a case of "Bad Guy Absorbs Mcguffin Powerup Not Meant For Man"
I would bet money that when the gang confronts him for the final time, he turns into some big fuckoff monster because he couldn't contain all of the power.

As to where he got it from in the first place or anything, I have no idea, like I said: I don't think the game has shown or explained it yet.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with the time distortions in this otherwise typical-seeming fantasy world.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

the_steve posted:

I don't think the game ever showed it, but, Reaper seems to have a case of "Bad Guy Absorbs Mcguffin Powerup Not Meant For Man"
I would bet money that when the gang confronts him for the final time, he turns into some big fuckoff monster because he couldn't contain all of the power.

As to where he got it from in the first place or anything, I have no idea, like I said: I don't think the game has shown or explained it yet.

Double bonus on said power being what's actually doing everything and when the party knocks it out of him he'll turn out to be a regular shmuck who absorbed the power for a Good Reason.

Well, a regular shmuck with a bunch of darkness-based techs that rubbed off on him at least :v:

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Good to see this back. Not so glad to see Reaper again. He's like a monster of the week that keeps coming back once a month.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Double bonus on said power being what's actually doing everything and when the party knocks it out of him he'll turn out to be a regular shmuck who absorbed the power for a Good Reason.

Well, a regular shmuck with a bunch of darkness-based techs that rubbed off on him at least :v:

Further bonus if that regular shmuck turns out to be someone we've met before or has family relation to one of our party members. +5 on top of that if that party member is Setsuna again.

The Dark Id posted:

in healing duty ever two to three rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

the_steve posted:

I dunno, it seems more like he's possessed by a Big Evil Guy, like Eris the spear lady was. Maybe even the same Big Evil Guy.

• Locked thread