Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno I think bull's point is solid. Also happy I'll be getting it on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think a single person is going to subscribe to all access to watch star trek in 2016. I think they are going to pirate it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

I don't think a single person is going to subscribe to all access to watch star trek in 2016. I think they are going to pirate it.

100% truth.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
CBS is embarrassingly out of touch w/r/t their streaming scheme and I'm really looking forward to the PR spin paid news articles proclaiming it's success.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

It's on CBS All Access, their new/upcoming streaming service. What are you even talkin bout

Oh god what is CBS thinking?

Arist posted:

I will never get Stranger Things and the things I've heard about Season 2 just sound weirdly offputting.

I bounced off it pretty hard. Turns out I do remember the 80s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Young Pope thread is up.

Brett Gelman will be in Stranger Things s2 so wild horses couldn't keep me away from that poo poo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

They've both been speculated, the 10 years before thing comes from the registry number of the new ship.

Which given the service lifetimes of e.g. even modern carriers...

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Flatscan posted:

This weeks episode alone makes it worth watching. Huge spoilers: They complete the plan to save the future by setting off a huge antimatter explosion and killing ten million people, then realise that it probably hasn't worked.

Isn't that the show with the Hindenburg? I thought the show was a lot more light hearted than that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hope and vaseline posted:

They've both been speculated, the 10 years before thing comes from the registry number of the new ship.

It actually comes from Bryan Fuller himself at the TCA panel back in August.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

It's exclusively on yahoo streaming. It aint running for poo poo.

Edit: typo

It's on CBS's streaming service, which might actually be worse.

e: beaten

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Eezee posted:

Isn't that the show with the Hindenburg? I thought the show was a lot more light hearted than that.

No, that's Timeless.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

sector_corrector posted:

Anyone watching Search Party? I like it a lot.

Halfway through right now and I really like it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hadn't heard of Search Party but Showalter + Shawkat has definitely piqued my interest.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Escobarbarian posted:

Hadn't heard of Search Party but Showalter + Shawkat has definitely piqued my interest.

Its quirky dark humor i guess? Going to finish it tonight once i start drinking. Only 10 episodes total.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

Oh god what is CBS thinking?

That the ratings would be awful and not worth running on their network.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flatscan posted:

This weeks episode alone makes it worth watching. Huge spoilers: They complete the plan to save the future by setting off a huge antimatter explosion and killing ten million people, then realise that it probably hasn't worked.

I think you have that backwards. They did it to save that many people.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That the ratings would be awful and not worth running on their network.

Then why even spend the money to make it? Space shows aren't cheap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Then why even spend the money to make it? Space shows aren't cheap.

Because Netflix paid for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like when robots go out and hump in the woods.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the first two episodes of Search Party. It's interesting, but not very funny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey question, everybody loses their loving minds when Jeremy Clarkson makes a comment about gypsies right?

Did everyone do the same back when they talked poo poo about gypsies on Buffy the Vampire Slayer every other episode?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't be like that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Hey question, everybody loses their loving minds when Jeremy Clarkson makes a comment about gypsies right?

Did everyone do the same back when they talked poo poo about gypsies on Buffy the Vampire Slayer every other episode?

In Britain, Gypsies are a discriminated against minority

In America, gypsies are a made-up fantasy race

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Don't be like that.

No for real, I am seriously curious because in those proto internet days there wasn't much in the way of organized discussion on such things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gypsies aren't really a thing in America so I doubt it would come up especially in the 90s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gypsies aren't really a thing in America so I doubt it would come up especially in the 90s.

Anyone who saw the movie Thinner or read X-Men comics knew what gypsies were.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Anyone who saw the movie Thinner or read X-Men comics knew what gypsies were.

Yeah, a made-up fantasy race. Like dwarves or halflings.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well we did have the show The Riches which was really pretty good and about american gypsies, which are not actual ethnic Roma but the same as the UK's Irish travelers that are referred to as gypsies by UK residents like Clarkson. Who is often casually racist but on this one I'll defer to people doing their own research.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, a made-up fantasy race. Like dwarves or halflings.

Dude, I worked with a dwarf, those are real people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Dude, I worked with a dwarf, those are real people.

I mean the beards and axes kind

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean the beards and axes kind

He had a beard!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

He had a beard!

You are blowing my mind right now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna make the thread for Falling Water later tonight or tomorrow, since there seems to be three of us watching it now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Gypsy" just isn't a loaded term in the US. Every time I hear someone say "I got gyped" I calmly explain to them how they shouldn't say it because its kind of racist and they're always completely shocked and have no idea what I mean or who it would even be racist to. They genuinely don't know who "gypsies" are, let alone that "gyped" is referring to them. I politely explain to them who the Romani people are and what their deal is. When I say something like "also, they were hugely targeted by the Nazis during the Holocaust and do you realize that 'I got gyped' is basically the same thing as 'I got jewed'?" that's when it usually clicks for them and they're embarrassed.

Or, you know, they're not because Trump is president so a lot of people don't care about such "politically correct" things. Especially when you have to explain it about a group of people they literally didn't know existed.

precision posted:

I'm gonna make the thread for Falling Water later tonight or tomorrow, since there seems to be three of us watching it now.

Now that the holidays are here and other shows are going on break I'm getting ready to binge all the saved episodes after I finish binging all the episodes of The Exorcist I saved.

Also, holy crap The Exorcist is wild.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's not a lot of consciousness in America about anti-Roma prejudice. It's still taken me time to internalize the fact that the word "gypsy" itself is considered a racial slur.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah there's not a lot of consciousness in America about anti-Roma prejudice. It's still taken me time to internalize the fact that the word "gypsy" itself is considered a racial slur.

I always thought it was "gipped" and basically just a play off "ripped off" or even "tipped". Had no idea it was a loaded word. I used it very infrequently to begin with (I'm a big "hosed" user), so it's been hard to eliminate from my vocabulary.

tk fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 24, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

I'm one of them I hope.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Getting gypped is equivalent to saying you got Jew'd.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

Replace every instance of him saying "gypsy" with "negro" and you have about the impact and tactfulness of his statements conveyed to an American mind. Sinti and Roma in many parts of Europe are treated like African Americans were in the South during the Sixties and Fifties (unofficial, since officially all people are equal of course). Including getting killed by racists and mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about when he accused truck drivers of murdering prostitutes? That was pretty sweet.

Gipsy Danger is the best in Pacific Rim

• Locked thread