Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Heya, been playing Cryptark.

Roguelike features: Random map generation. Hates you and wants you dead. Feelings of failure and despair at every game over.

I really want to like Cryptark, but it's just so poorly balanced. Shotguns are monstrously more powerful than any other gun type, you just get so much killing power for your dollar, and all the damage is frontloaded into one giant burst, which is exactly what you want in a game where killing before the enemy can attack is 90% of what keeps you safe. I've tried the heavy machine guns and laser cannons and all that and they just can't kill stuff fast or efficiently enough. Money is so tight that any gun with an inefficient ammo / cost ratio is just borderline unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Someone just handed me keys for Womb Room, and claimed it was a roguelike.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/426010/

I do not think this qualifies. It's also a two dollar game and 31% positive on Steam. I guess this is like when the guy with no limbs and a mouthful of scurvy scoots up to the soup kitchen looking to volunteer?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

I do not think this qualifies. It's also a two dollar game and 31% positive on Steam. I guess this is like when the guy with no limbs and a mouthful of scurvy scoots up to the soup kitchen looking to volunteer?

Everyone who doesn't donate gets Womb Room forcibly added to their Steam Library.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Everyone who doesn't donate gets Womb Room forcibly added to their Steam Library.

lol for reals. I'm actually thinking of giving a key to people who fumble their loot rolls.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

madjackmcmad posted:

I don't know if it's exactly like that, but in both cases a firm "no thanks" is required for the good of all.

fe: is there a way to destroy a Steam key

fe2: is there a way to destroy a Steam listing

fe3: Nightdive Studios nooooo

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I don't know if it's exactly like that, but in both cases a firm "no thanks" is required for the good of all.

fe: is there a way to destroy a Steam key

fe2: is there a way to destroy a Steam listing

fe3: Nightdive Studios nooooo

People who submit their [Proof of Altruism] have been getting little stories to go along with their die rolls. I really do think a terribly low roll could include a 31% positive on Steam game, just for kicks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's probably better to go with a polite "thanks, but no thanks" than to actively mock someone who volunteered for your charitable project, even if they kinda deserve mockery in the larger context.

Unless they're on board with it, PT Barnum style, in which case v:shobon:v

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's probably better to go with a polite "thanks, but no thanks" than to actively mock someone who volunteered for your charitable project,

100% correct, of course. My response was

Nice Madjack posted:

Hey, thank you very much!

I will certainly find a use for these, likely as surprise add-ons for people who contribute. A little two dollar kicker to sweeten the deal. Very generous of you, and I appreciate you helping out.

To be honest I shouldn't be dogging him on these forums either. Bad form.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

I really want to like Cryptark, but it's just so poorly balanced. Shotguns are monstrously more powerful than any other gun type, you just get so much killing power for your dollar, and all the damage is frontloaded into one giant burst, which is exactly what you want in a game where killing before the enemy can attack is 90% of what keeps you safe. I've tried the heavy machine guns and laser cannons and all that and they just can't kill stuff fast or efficiently enough. Money is so tight that any gun with an inefficient ammo / cost ratio is just borderline unusable.

Yup. Probably why I'm enjoying the Rogue mode where budget isnt a concern and you pick up your gear along the way more than the campaign mode.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

I found lasers extremely useful for clearing out trash or finishing off damaged enemies, since ammo regenerates for energy weapons.

My usual loadout is something like:
- energy weapon
- high damage, low rate of fire weapon with plenty of ammo (shotguns work well here, but aren't the only option)
- nuclear missile launcher or other powerful AoE weapon
- wildcard based on what the target ship contains

I also try to make sure that at least one of these weapons penetrates armour/shields.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Echoing earlier sentiments about Streets of Rogue being an excellent little contender, even though it's currently in Alpha. Even in its current state it has a fun range of classes that significantly alter your playstyle (You can be among about 2 dozen other choices at present a stealthy ninja who backstabs, a doctor who chloroforms people but who can't use projectile weapons, a gorilla who can't even speak to other characters unless you happen to loot a translator device, a bartender who turns status effect items into cocktails that you can serve to any NPC, or a standup comedian whose special ability is affecting random mobs' opinion of you by delivering a routine until they either attack you out of annoyance or decide that you're funny enough that they want to align with you).

That said, having an item system that is well-realised and that encourages creativity in the application and combination of items is what I like most about it, because it shows a good framework for future content. Highlights include:

• Taking out a building full of multiple assassination targets by dumping a rage potion that makes users go berserk into the air ducts, causing them to punch each other to death and the last one to get killed for attempting to punch a cop.
  • Buying a slave with an explosive bomb collar, getting them to stand by the outer wall of a building whose generator you need to destroy, and detonating them from across the map to complete the mission with no risk.
  • Eating a banana after a fight because you're about to die, then later killing yourself by slipping on the discarded banana peel.
  • Breaking the game over your knee completely with a combination of a super soaker (weapon that allows you to load any status-effect-creating potion as ammo) a cyanide pill (instant death status effect) and a Kill Ammuniser (device that reloads 1 ammo with each kill) in order to create an instant-death gun that will never run out of ammo if you're accurate with it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Mzbundifund posted:

the piercing machine gun is also really good, but dual shotguns are hilarious since it murders pretty much everything in one two barrel blast.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cryptark is fun, but to unlock new mechs you have to do mostly bullshit challenges on most likely a shoestring budget. overall the difficulty feels really rough around the edges.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Play Rogue mode for Cryptark. Its much better.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

New RL player trying to get off the ground on the twitchernets, he's playing some DoomRL this morning (8:30 am Pacific, 19 November) to hype up Kornel's KS. Come tell him his play is bad and he should feel bad: https://www.twitch.tv/weeknightwizard

e: Done now

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 19, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

cryptark is fun, but to unlock new mechs you have to do mostly bullshit challenges on most likely a shoestring budget. overall the difficulty feels really rough around the edges.

Speaking of which, what is a good mech to do the 60k budget artefact with? I am having a hard time building something survivable with that kind of cash.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Johnny Joestar posted:

I JUST bought the game, played 'roguelike' mode a few times, and came out with 7 artifacts. that's 3 new unlocks. So yea, eff trying to get artifacts during normal campain, just play the money game. Also, in RL mode, it seems that energy weapons are almost mandatory, so much ammo issues even using 'meele' weapons.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

I JUST bought the game, played 'roguelike' mode a few times, and came out with 7 artifacts. that's 3 new unlocks. So yea, eff trying to get artifacts during normal campain, just play the money game. Also, in RL mode, it seems that energy weapons are almost mandatory, so much ammo issues even using 'meele' weapons.

Less than half of the artifacts spawn in Rogue mode, and most of those only appear on later levels. If you've grabbed 7 already then you're probably good enough to get the rest of the Rogue mode artifacts, but after that you need to play the campaign to even have a chance at any more.

Agreed about the energy weapons being virtually required, but you can only have one in your loadout at a time, and if they're strong they take forever to recharge.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Play as Salamander so you can save on ammo by roasting suckers using your jetpack :cool:

They also start with the only good melee ability.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

:siren: Three days remain to Stop the Hunger Clock :siren:

http://dungeonmans.com/hungerclock

Lots of fun games available for those of you willing to venture outside your warm comfy caves and into the frenzy wilds to donate locally towards hunger relief. The coupons posted earlier in the thread have not been redeemed yet!

If you want to help get the word out, that would be great and kind of you. Here's a sell sheet you can use to help sell the idea on whatever social media you choose.

Thank you :tipshat:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cogmind's Alpha 12 is out and my god there are a lot of new things in the game.

I haven't had the time or inclination to dig into roguelikes lately and I feel bad about it, but at least they're all still updating and doing cool things so whenever the mood strikes me again there's so much more to check out.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, I have to try again. Had a few runs on Alpha 11 and I'm so far behind new content that I know there's gotta be a hundred new things to discover.

I'm currently being distracted by Cryptark on the recommendation of this thread which is a really enjoyable arena-shooter-like. Lots of umph, really surprisingly good voice acting and writing for the crew members, and solid gameplay. Campaign mode's money crunch isn't too bad -- I found out that losing once or twice is usually recoverable, as long as it's not back-to-back. Doing a all-objective complete run will net you a ton of cash, even moreso if it's a 'clear all systems' objective early on. One thing I wish they'd stop doing is combining a "don't trip alarms" and "don't destroy alarm system", since the alarm system is guaranteed to be protecting the core.

General loadout is definitely ranged high-accuracy / shield / aoe / explosive device. Energy weapons are nice but Prism is the only one I've run into so far that I love. I thought the gatling laser would be great, but it turns out the recharge time on that thing is in the minutes. Been to Cryptark a few times, and I think I need to learn a lesson about secondary objectives and not attempt to do a full clear of it before I actually complete the game. Last run was going really well until I got pinned by a nuclear explosion.

I found out that shields blocked alarm lasers only on my fifth or sixth run, funnily enough. Don't let that be you! I really like the stealth ship but I literally never remember to use its teleportation ability, which is dumb because it's amazing.

Is there any use for the long cooldown long recharge weapons, like the Rail Gun or the FGB2K? Presumably they can take out a system in one shot (or, I'd hope so anyway), but grenades / rockets are far less expensive and way more versatile.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Roguelikes are on sale!

I mean everything on steam is, but today I only care about roguelikes.

Bionic Dues is down to 2.29$, and it's Arcen's weird unpolished game where you swap out different robots as you fight other robots. Worth a gander but you won't love it.

Caves of Qud is at 8.99$ and that's as cheap as it's getting. Buy it! You all know the refrain by now, it's the classic post-apocalyptic mutant exploration game where you die to turrets, giant angry bears, and angry NPCs!

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/801512669736009734

Crypt of the Necrodancer! 3.74$ for a beautifully designed roguelike where you dance as you kill your foes - it's wonderful, even if you have a bad sense of rhythm as I do. I also hear there's an expansion pack in the works!

Desktop Dungeons is 7.49$, and well - do you like having your brain fried as you try to solve puzzles? It's fascinating and difficult and elegant. *Do not get the goatperson DLC, I hear that class is an utter pain to play as, and only for advanced users.

Dungeonmans! Do you like fun? I like fun. It's 7.49$ for a pure dungeoncrawling experience. No funny plot to slow you down, no weird mutations to pick from, just a straightforward (yet cool) set of skills, your weaponry, and ever-more-powerful bees to kill. Good times.

https://twitter.com/Dungeonmans/status/801525880598073344

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

One Way Heroics for 1.74$ (Add Plus edition for 1.94$!) - A weird yet cool game where you race across the kingdom to kill the Overlord before his creeping darkness swallows up everything. Plus Edition adds a TON of content and refinements to the game. There's an expensive remake that I'd pass on unless you really, really must have more of this game, too.

Sproggiwood. 4.49$ - no time for dungeon diving? New to the genre? This is the holy grail of accessible roguelikes. It's fun to play, cute to look at, and surprisingly vicious. Savage mode is no joke. Play it, and learn to hate twinned monsters!

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.81$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

ToME, one of the biggest roguelikes out there - listen. It's free at its website. What you are buying on steam is the upgraded fancy version. Worth it - I mean it's 3.49$ - but please go play the free version first. This game can be very offputting if you're not ready for it.

And then we get things I don't class as roguelikes in my steam library because I'm a nerd, but hey, they're good anyways!

FTL, THE game to play if you want to be captain kirk. Not a fan of the final boss, but you owe it to yourself to play at least one or two games of this. 2.99$

Spelunky is 2.99$ and it's the Indiana Jones experience. I mean I don't need to sell this one do I? Everyone knows it.

BONUS MENTION

Stop the Hunger Clock! donate food locally, get Halo 5. Maybe. More likely you'll get the better games in the bundle like Cogmind or Dungeonmans or Caves of Qud. But hey! It's always good to do a good deed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I own every game on that list worth owning except Desktop. Might be about time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's probably about time I got it.

EDIT:

This one made me laugh out loud. Good start.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 24, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I am not donating to the Hunger Clock, it not being convenient in the UK and because I want none of the games, but I have pimped it on multiple Twitch streams so hopefully a few people signed up.

How many responses were there? Or are you saving it until there's a final tally?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Poison Mushroom posted:

I own every game on that list worth owning except Desktop. Might be about time.

Desktop dungeons is a seriously good game. I've had it since early 2013, fire it up pretty frequently as a coffee break game and haven't even come close to the end of the content. It's totally deterministic and I find spending 15 minutes crunching on a level (a puzzle basically) to be a great way to clear my head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I ended up buying it so

I've spent $75 on video games in 24 hours

Now to catch more pokeymanz

Did anyone ever do a proper pokemon-inspired roguelike?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Siralim 2 is basically Pokemon: The Roguelike. Whether you'll like it depends on how much you like grinding up different parties for gimmick bosses. The combat itself is solid and fun tho, but every new boss basically required creating a whole new party and grinding it up to match its level, and it was just too much for me.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or running basically the same party over and over again until the RNG decides you get to win this time. It's not a good game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burning Rain posted:

Siralim 2 is basically Pokemon: The Roguelike. Whether you'll like it depends on how much you like grinding up different parties for gimmick bosses. The combat itself is solid and fun tho, but every new boss basically required creating a whole new party and grinding it up to match its level, and it was just too much for me.

Grinding is fun and good. The fun of Siralim is puzzling out how to grind as quickly as possible. If you just try to slog it out then it would be tedious.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Grinding is fun and good. The fun of Siralim is puzzling out how to grind as quickly as possible. If you just try to slog it out then it would be tedious.

objectively false

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've got a question about desktop dungeons. How do you get good at it? Are there good youtube channels that explain how to go over strategy? I just dont get the game and i've really tried.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.81$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

Thank you for the collection, looks like it's time for me to finally buy Necrodancer. Also, SotS:Pit has the distinction of being one of the tiny handful of games I've ever gotten a steam refund for.

Also, while we're pimping rogue-likes, Renowned Explorers is also on sale. Closest game in the genre is probably FTL. It's cute, quirky, has a surprisingly deep combat system based on moods and emotions, and is a lot of fun. It took me 3-4 tries over the course of several months to really get into it, but once I did it rose to near the top of my list, it's just excellent.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 24, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

There's only one game that's managed to make "grinding as a puzzle" even sort of interesting and it's not a roguelike, which isn't a coincidence.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's only one game that's managed to make "grinding as a puzzle" even sort of interesting and it's not a roguelike, which isn't a coincidence.

What was it?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And what game is that? I want to play it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Odddzy posted:

I've got a question about desktop dungeons. How do you get good at it? Are there good youtube channels that explain how to go over strategy? I just dont get the game and i've really tried.

Movement is mana is life. Keep as much area unexplored as possible so you can recover between fights. Try and kill monsters of higher level than you if you can - depending on class you may be able to beat something several levels higher. Spells are good for this if you can do more than [monsterlevel*mana] damage per cast, because you can refill your mana and the monster will be at lower health than when you started plus you also won't have taken a physical hit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Prism posted:

What was it?

Disgaea. I'm thinking of the first game in particular since that's the one I've played, and I've heard secondhand that the later ones close a lot of the loopholes that let you level through clever shenanigans instead of brute force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Disgaea. I'm thinking of the first game in particular since that's the one I've played, and I've heard secondhand that the later ones close a lot of the loopholes that let you level through clever shenanigans instead of brute force.

I thought for sure the answer was going to be real life...