Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Novum posted:

How does a sparring session like that usually play out?

I'unno, honestly. Most of this is from watching for like a minute or two and third hand accounts. You can check out the Wikipedia article, though, it's a legit martial art. Like not bullshit internet claims but actually used by Russian military. I do know it's freeform sparring, though. The article says there's no kata work, and I know for a fact that's true.

(late edit: law enforcement, not military. AFAIK sambo is still the martial art of choice of the Russian military.)

Also, completely random, but the three guys I've trained with (other than Choate-Sensei) all were wearing scented talcum power, or aftershave, or something. I poo poo you not. Maybe it's a systema thing? I have no idea. Still, it's really nice if your training sessions are all throws and your partner doesn't smell like a sweatsock. :allears:

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Is this all a very high-effort troll?

Uh... do I sound outlandish or something? Is everyone in the thread getting together to laugh at me behind my back? :ohdear: I'm legit trying to share experiences here, I don't think I've said anything particularly AND THEN YOU UNLEASH YOUR CHI HADOUKEN or anything.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Systema sucks for teaching you how to fight, this is what their light sparring looks like and the fat guy is one of the most famous Systema guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeMkL9qdD4

As long as youre having fun though it doesnt really matter

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Watch at around 3:00 to see someone moving their body to deflect impact lol

edit actually no watch at 4:50~ to see a good demonstration of a toehold

manyak fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 23, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

I'unno, honestly. Most of this is from watching for like a minute or two and third hand accounts. You can check out the Wikipedia article, though, it's a legit martial art. Like not bullshit internet claims but actually used by Russian military. I do know it's freeform sparring, though. The article says there's no kata work, and I know for a fact that's true.

I don't think you actually mentioned training systema but all that you just posted is absolute bullshit. If you enjoy doing aikido or whatever for fun then that's cool though.

But I don't think you should vouch for a REAL RUSSIAN MARTIAL ARTS SYSTEM that you don't actually train in and that is most assuredly a huge steaming crock of poo poo.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Also just because people are hitting each 'hard' in a 'freeform style' (???) at a gym doesn't really lend credence.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
systema is really dumb

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does O Sensei mean my coach or something?

Re Systema -- my best guess as to how they got going is that they had legit Russian military training, and then decided to market whatever you want to call Systema that way, with the blend of camo clothing and Russian mysticism (e.g. Fedor, Silva, witch doctor)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

O Sensei is what aikido people call Ueshiba, the founder. He was an rear end in a top hat.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Is everyone in the thread getting together to laugh at me behind my back? :ohdear:

On the contrary, goons will make every effort to be sure you're included when they want to laugh at you.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

That being said I trained regularly under a seventh dan, the (late :smith:) Kevin Choate-Sensei. He actually trained regularly with O Sensei, he was like 6'7", and he was loving terrifying. He grabbed me by the throat once during training because I wouldn't stop leaving it open. Not choke or strike, just "whoops got your throat, okay go sit down junior your ukemi sucks today." :stare: He never hurt anybody on the mat, but he cross trained in systema, and you could tell he could loving wreck you if he really wanted to. I heard stories from a sixth dan requesting he hit her with more force so she could experience what it was like. The exact quote was, "It felt like a bomb went off in my shoulder."

What's his mma record?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Speaking of Krav, was out getting lunch and noticed we now have one: https://www.flnation.com/

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

All the lovely BJJ videos I've seen usually have all the BJJ guys saying "who the gently caress is this faker" whereas all the lovely Systema videos I've seen usually have all the Systema guys saying "that's my teacher and it's all totally legit".

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
e: lets just say theres some pretty funny stuff on that site

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 23, 2016

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Kekekela posted:

e: lets just say theres some pretty funny stuff on that site

You are not wrong. I just learned how to tactically navigate a corner thanks to FearLess Tips.

I thought one of Krav's only real-life positives were that you would end up very fit. I don't think that any more.

Edit: the head instructor is actually the short dumpy dude. Combat LARP extraordinaire.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 23, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some Jewish people (ok, it's mostly guys) want to do it because it has that connection to Israel. I get it, but a lot of the instruction isn't worth it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

The main problem with Krav Maga is that you can become certified to teach "Krav Maga" by taking a three day seminar, so even if Krav Maga was the second coming of Judo developed by Muhammed Bruce Li I still would never recommend to someone that they join a "Krav Maga" school because you have absolutely no idea what you'll actually be getting.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its weird that this is the 2nd place offering stick-fighting out here but we have no BJJ gym. (I mean in my actual little town...if I try 20-45 minutes I can hit over a dozen gyms)

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Movement and footwork. Exercise. Better control over center of gravity and core muscles. Get to hang out with nice, laid back people. :)

That's cool. I did Aikido for 7-8 years and that's what I liked about it too. Laid back people and it's great for awareness and movement. Switched over to BJJ a few years back, though. Not because I want to compete or win cage fights, but it's (surprisingly to me) easier on my body. And much less :barf: without the rolls.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently in BJJ a guy showed me a good move for getting a submission from side control, where you basically use one side of your gi as a garrote - say you've taken side control on the other guy's left side, you take the right corner of your own gi, pass it to your other hand to loop it around the back of his neck, then sort of twist away so your head is facing the same direction as his feet. Is that sort of thing permitted in a competition context?

I imagine it would be but for some reason it doesn't really feel like it should be. (Maybe I'm just saying that because it's probably the single strongest choke I've been in!)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lapel chokes are super legit, get used to them

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Choking people with their own clothes is the most fun anyone can have. 75% of my game is based around this, which is why I am relatively lovely at no-gi!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently in BJJ a guy showed me a good move for getting a submission from side control, where you basically use one side of your gi as a garrote - say you've taken side control on the other guy's left side, you take the right corner of your own gi, pass it to your other hand to loop it around the back of his neck, then sort of twist away so your head is facing the same direction as his feet. Is that sort of thing permitted in a competition context?

I imagine it would be but for some reason it doesn't really feel like it should be. (Maybe I'm just saying that because it's probably the single strongest choke I've been in!)

I know you're talking BJJ, but that strangle is illegal in Judo - the only gi strangles permissible are with uke's lapel or with your own sleeve (Sode guruma / ezekiel)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

So...This? Yeah that's legal. Welcome to the world of gi chokes. There's a lot of em.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLRxYhrr_U

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I know you're talking BJJ, but that strangle is illegal in Judo - the only gi strangles permissible are with uke's lapel or with your own sleeve (Sode guruma / ezekiel)

The IJF should explicitly outlaw fun or pleasure of any kind. It's obviously what they're working towards.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Legal in BJJ, but not all gi sports.

e: fb

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 24, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JaySB posted:

So...This? Yeah that's legal. Welcome to the world of gi chokes. There's a lot of em.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLRxYhrr_U

Yeah, I'm discovering that. Study has kept me from training as much as I'd like and everyone who started around the same time as me (and after me in a few cases!) is a couple of stripes ahead of me now and they're pulling out all this crazy stuff on me. :D

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Everything is illegal in judo

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm thankful for getting to heel hook clueless white belts

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What about the Gerbi choke/Peruvian necktie?

Edit: Gerbi, not Gerbil

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

What about the Gerbi choke/Peruvian necktie?

Edit: Gerbi, not Gerbil

Hm all I can say is that the rules must have changed since then. I'm going off of an October 22 rules meeting with a high-level ref in which I asked him specifically about strangles with tori's gi. It's possible that there's some other context thing that someone (possibly me) is missing.

e. found it
https://www.eju.net/?action=settingsfile&id=350&file...portalId=77

quote:

• Shime-waza is not allowed with either your own or your opponents belt or bottom of the
jacket, or using only the fingers.
• This action should be penalized by shido.
Article 25. Point 14 and 18 will be strictly observed.

Ambiguous phrasing.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 25, 2016

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
The Gerbi choke was banned once the IJF caught up with the rules. However, if you have a lovely ref for your match you can maybe borderline get away with the peruvian neck tie since it captures an arm and can be made to look like a blood choke.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Man, every time a new shoyo drops I tell myself this is gonna be the time I bite the bullet and buy one.

Then they reveal the price I do the math and realize that it'll be the best part of four hundred bucks for a loving gi and i back off. Them shits are expensive.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I thought about getting back into Freestyle Wrestling but then I realized I'd get destroyed in competition because I no longer have 7% body fat the way I did in high school. Not sure where I'd even be able to find a gym that trained in it seeing as it's pretty restricted to high school/collegiate athletes. It's been 10 years since I stepped onto a mat, but drat it was a super fun sport back when I did it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I realized I'd get destroyed in competition

Does that not have the same problem as training? What open events are there?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Do you guys do any conditioning for grappling? 6 minute rolling sessions destroy me and no-gi stuff is so explosive I'm short of breath after few minutes. Wondering if there are any effective routiunes i could do when I'm not able to go to grappling/bjj. For some reason gi stuff is much easier fitness-wise.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

kimbo305 posted:

Does that not have the same problem as training? What open events are there?

Well AAU has senior open events that you can compete in, but most of those guys are cutting weight or are just out of college. I don't see many guys just out there for exercise although I do remember seeing a few 'master' divisions for older guys back when I competed around 10 years back.

It'd be fun to just get out there and roll around a bit I think.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I thought about getting back into Freestyle Wrestling but then I realized I'd get destroyed in competition because I no longer have 7% body fat the way I did in high school. Not sure where I'd even be able to find a gym that trained in it seeing as it's pretty restricted to high school/collegiate athletes. It's been 10 years since I stepped onto a mat, but drat it was a super fun sport back when I did it.

You can try contacting this place:
https://www.facebook.com/EliteWrestlingAcademy/

but honestly it seems like former wrestlers just go into judo or bjj

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Well AAU has senior open events that you can compete in, but most of those guys are cutting weight or are just out of college. I don't see many guys just out there for exercise although I do remember seeing a few 'master' divisions for older guys back when I competed around 10 years back.

It'd be fun to just get out there and roll around a bit I think.

I agree with you -- it'd be nice to have low-level competitions with folkstyle or freestyle rulesets.
I'm thankful my gym even offers a pure wrestling class.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Yeah we have wrestling "clubs" here but its mostly kids so all the adults eventually just end up training at a BJJ/MMA place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Our club has a once-per-week, though inconsistently so, wrestling class taught by a rogue beekeeper.